PDA

View Full Version : Old Space Crusade T.V. commercial.

IG_Airborne_Ranger
17-10-2008, 08:26
I came across this on Youtube and thought it was hilarious, it's like what would happen if 40K was a saturday morning cartoon :D - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uozIWK51x58

RFT
17-10-2008, 09:47
That's fantastic. It's like an episode of Dr Who from the 70s...

Ophidian
17-10-2008, 09:56
Apart from the really pony Genestealer, I think it holds up well, considering its age

Enderel
17-10-2008, 09:57
Awesome! Now which came first, power rangers or that advert!!

rev
17-10-2008, 10:11
plasma gun!

Dreadnought!!

Yeh!!!

I swear I've used that line before in a game...

Son of the Lion
17-10-2008, 11:04
Hey, don't mock - That advert is pretty much the reason I got into GW.....

parus_ater
17-10-2008, 11:49
Bejebus! I remember that advert!!!!!

Grandmaster Abael
17-10-2008, 12:07
Cool. I have never seen it before. But the visorclap gives me some modelling ideas...

Jedi152
17-10-2008, 12:10
Description: "Advert For Space Crusade Board Game Like Dungeons And Dragons But For Trekkies!!"

No! Bad poster!

Grandmaster Abael
17-10-2008, 12:22
Trekkies dont wear powerarmour and dont fight insectoid killeraliens in rusted spacewrecks.
Its against their prime directive.

Jedi152
17-10-2008, 12:33
Ah well, it brings back memories (i even had the dreadnought expansion pack).

Is it set is a different dimension?

sigur
17-10-2008, 12:36
Is it set is a different dimension?

Not that I'm aware of. But for the german version, the publisher changed lots of things. First off, they made ALL weapons not kill stuff but either knocking it out or make them unwilling to fight in several quite creative ways.

Anyway, this advertising is totally awesome of course and gets posted here about every 6 months.

zedeyejoe
17-10-2008, 12:43
Loved it. Thanks.

orks2134
17-10-2008, 14:03
Fantastic. The other classic is the D&D commercial from about the same time frame, it must have been hard filming with all the make-up to cover the kids' bruises from constantly getting thumped by the football team!

Grandmaster Abael
17-10-2008, 14:19
Not that I'm aware of. But for the german version, the publisher changed lots of things. First off, they made ALL weapons not kill stuff but either knocking it out or make them unwilling to fight in several quite creative ways.

GW worked with MB-games in cooperation at this time, to create a german version of Space Crusade. MB published the german variant under the name "Star Quest".

It included a lot of changes, which removed nearly all connections to the 40k-backround.

So the Space Marines were called GSG-troopers (Galaxy Safe Guard), Bolters became lasers, genestealers turned to clones and Blood Angels became GSG Tiger. And that are only a few examples.

So if you are german, i would recommend you to purchase the english version.

ehlijen
17-10-2008, 14:31
Bolters = stun lasers
Assault cannin = Null time cannon (slows things down infinitely)
Missile launcher = Holo launcher (traps enemies in holographic worlds)
Plasma gun = black hole blaster (sucks enemies into a paralel dimension where they can do no harm)

Unfortunately, they didn't translate all the terms matchingly all the time: the GSG Musketeers commander (Imperial fists) had a combi weapon that could be fired as 'a plasma weapon'. Thanks to above translations, nothing in the rules ever mentioned plasma guns. It wasn't until I got in to actual 40k that I found out what that thing does...

I've got the german version and me and my (aussie) friends still play it every now and then.

While I'd recommend the english version if you have the choice, the funky bad translations have something going for them :)

Coasty
17-10-2008, 20:05
Nobody ever dies in Germany. Freaky.

GSG? Like GSG-9, the German counter-terrorist boys?

IG_Airborne_Ranger
17-10-2008, 20:27
Did anyone else think of the old 80s show Captian Power & the Soldiers of the Future when seeing this commercial?

Cause this was like a 40k version that IMO. :D Although, I think Space Crusade would have made an awesome Saturday Morning kids show IF they kept all the fluff and killing intact.

Grandmaster Abael
17-10-2008, 20:47
Nobody ever dies in Germany. Freaky.
Well, a good friend of me works at a cemetary as gardener. I can say for sure, that enough people die here.;)
But concerning games: We have a different approach at childeducation than you in the US. Here it is ok to show Nipples in all kinds and forms on the media, but violence is a big taboo here.

GSG? Like GSG-9, the German counter-terrorist boys?
Yes. We dont have a Marine Corps like UK or USA and the army was only prepared for a defencecase. So they used the most busy german combatunit they knew: the GSG9, a statepolice unit.

Coasty
17-10-2008, 20:59
In the US? I say, steady on, old boy! ;)

I'm quite emphatically Old World, dontcherknow!

Grandmaster Abael
17-10-2008, 21:48
Ok... UK?:confused:

Sorry, i thought of the US-coastguard. I forgot, that there are also other coastguards around.:angel:

Coasty
17-10-2008, 23:50
Heheh. Yeah, we've got one, too! Not much of one...we only do Search and Rescue. HM Customs and the Royal Navy do all the fun stuff, damn 'em...

CaptainSenioris
17-10-2008, 23:55
Ah well, it brings back memories (i even had the dreadnought expansion pack).

I'm lucky enough to have 2 copies of SC and Mission Dreadnought, certainly make the dreadnought factory mission interesting.

I also have the Eldar expansion :p The reaper launcher has hardly changed physically since back then.

Grandmaster Abael
18-10-2008, 00:07
Heheh. Yeah, we've got one, too! Not much of one...we only do Search and Rescue. HM Customs and the Royal Navy do all the fun stuff, damn 'em...

Ha, when the navyguys next time have a big mouth, just show them this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N6URYN_nc4

Sorry, i couldnt resist.:D

Harwammer
18-10-2008, 00:45
"Deep in a parallel universe where nightmares are real"?!

Nooo, read the lore. Clearly they did minimum research for this advert (or something).

Its "IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE
THERE IS ONLY WHORE!"
Close enough.

LordFulgrim
18-10-2008, 12:18
Blast from the past; this was really cool to watch *wipes away tear*

The boyz
18-10-2008, 13:29
It always make's me smile watching that old 'Space Crusade' advert. I quite like the old 'HeroQuest' advert too.

Earthbeard
18-10-2008, 14:56
Hey, don't mock - That advert is pretty much the reason I got into GW.....

The Same, that and the heroquest one.

My this makes me feel old, old, old.

crandall87
20-10-2008, 21:26
That's just awesome. It's so bad it's great

ParadoX_83
22-10-2008, 16:20
Trekkies dont wear powerarmour and dont fight insectoid killeraliens in rusted spacewrecks.
Its against their prime directive.

Lol, and SM's cant set their bolters to stun..:D

Finn Sourscowl
22-10-2008, 19:46
It looks like an episode of Red Dwarf :P

Loved it. The reason, 18 years on I'm still playing 40k :)

Bork
24-10-2008, 16:03
Cool, this brought a smile back to my face after all the depressing 'hate gw' threads!
Good find, even if it's old!

Anyway, this advertising is totally awesome of course and gets posted here about every 6 months.

So, I guess this must have been before chainswords were introduced in the game. But how did they explain bayonettes?

Master Jeridian
24-10-2008, 16:53
But how did they explain bayonettes?

Feather dusters tickling the enemy into submission I guess...

Meh, it must have sucked to grow up in Germany, :D

emperorpenguin
24-10-2008, 18:43
Space Crusade and Hero Quest got me into GW's games all those years ago.

In fact looking at my left index finger I still have a visible scar from assembling the game. Space Crusade has literally marked me for life! :p

I have all the sets for the game and though they fetch a pretty penny on e bay I can not bring myself to sell.

As for the ads, yeah they were cool. I loved the cheese of the Hero Quest version "I'll use my broadsword!" followed by "Fire of Wrath!" :D Aaah those were the days

ehlijen
24-10-2008, 23:44
The bayonets were simply mostly ignored. The equipment cared of the blood angels (GSG tigers...) however described them as 'stun prods'.

You have to remember that after the world wars and with any direct future confrontation between the US and the USSR being most likely staged in the middle of germany, us germans weren't too fond of the whole 'war' idea. So it's natural to want to tell us kids that war is bad and not make us question its existence for as long as possible. Not sure how 'stun lasers' were going to help that cause, but when has that ever stopped censors and age classifiers?

Gutlord Grom
25-10-2008, 03:47
Poor kids, that Genestealer is probably WS 6 and there at best what? WS 2?

Master Jeridian
25-10-2008, 11:50
Poor kids, that Genestealer is probably WS 6 and there at best what? WS 2?

It's okay, the geek in the Genestealer suit is only WS 1, especially with the poor maneouverability of the suit.

You have to remember that after the world wars and with any direct future confrontation between the US and the USSR being most likely staged in the middle of germany, us germans weren't too fond of the whole 'war' idea. So it's natural to want to tell us kids that war is bad and not make us question its existence for as long as possible. Not sure how 'stun lasers' were going to help that cause, but when has that ever stopped censors and age classifiers?

Aye, similarly Japan became one of the most pacifist and anti-war countries in the world. Whilst the victors have gone on to start many more violent wars and create more destructive weapons- psychology on an international scale.

I just don't think censorship or prohibition works- be it drink, violence or sex. The more you hide and deny it exists, the more children seek it out.

borithan
25-10-2008, 19:48
Lol, and SM's cant set their bolters to stun..:DApparently they can in Germany.

How was GTA received in Germany? Not only violence, but mindless, criminal violence.

Space Crusade was the first 40,000 game I played, a good... I dunno, 10 years before I played 40k. Not sure if we played it with the correct rules, but it was fun, especially as it was a mate's, and friends stuff always seems way more cool than your own.

Also did hero quest (think similarly with the wrong rules) but didn't enjoy it as much, though I did enjoy the battles we did with the Hero quest and advanced hero quest figures (even though I always lost, partly due to me agreeing to totally overpowered things for by friend's army, like the undead wizard not allowing any of my guys next to him, so I could only kill him with ranged weapons, of which I had about 5. Oh, and whoever won got a new race to add to their army, expanding it, which just further added to the balance problems).