PDA

View Full Version : Genestealer Sprue

Brimstone
26-04-2005, 22:24
From French GD a picture of the new Genestealer sprue.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/42616429.jpg

Baggers
26-04-2005, 22:25
Looks nice, and would they be metal mock up sitting in front of the sprue?

Brimstone
26-04-2005, 22:27
Looks nice, and would they be metal mock up sitting in front of the sprue?

No they would be Broodlords. ;)

Baggers
26-04-2005, 22:29
Arrh yes Broodlords indeed. Must really pay attention now.

boogle
26-04-2005, 22:32
you seem to be on one tonight Brim, good stuff though

Wraith
26-04-2005, 22:48
Look at all the space the 'infestation' markers take up when they could have used that for 'spine rippers' instead.

There could have been enough space for a base of spine rippers per genestealer box set as well...

Whether to use them as a unit, or as decoration on other Tyranid bases more 'spine rippers' would have been a far better choice IMHO.

boogle
26-04-2005, 23:23
you'll get 4 rippers per box, so its not too bad really is it?

Wraith
26-04-2005, 23:43
Going by the sprues it looks like you'll only get two spine rippers per box to me...

What's worse is considering there's only one pose even if you had enough spine rippers for a legal unit each inidividual ripper would look exactly the same.

Makes me wonder why GW bothered...

boogle
26-04-2005, 23:52
oh well, you'll have to get 2 boxes then boo hoo

charlie_c67
27-04-2005, 09:33
Is it me or are there two things that look like a collection of cats bums on the sprue?

Wraith
27-04-2005, 09:34
Those are the infestation markers I was talking about...

Avian
27-04-2005, 12:14
I can't see the heads with the feeder tentacles. Are there any on the sprue?

jazzdude78
27-04-2005, 12:17
there looks to be one at the bottom left guaranteed the ones above im not so sure

boogle
27-04-2005, 12:17
bottom left, next to the Tyrant Guard card

Lostanddamned
27-04-2005, 19:38
so there is only 1 cthulu head on the sprue, despite what we were lead to belive?

Wraith
27-04-2005, 19:54
so there is only 1 cthulu head on the sprue, despite what we were lead to belive?

Gah, I'm looking at the heads now and you might be right!

Look how much space is wasted with useless crap (comparatively) of 'Stealer skull, 'infestation markers', and yes the 'spine ripper' which could have been used for feeder tentacle heads! What were they thinking?!?

Just two heads per box set (8 'Stealers) so for 8 feeder tentacle stealers you need to buy 4 box sets

Ok, so theres 9 'heads' on the sprue, 1 is a Genestealer skull, 1 is a feeder tentacle head, 3 have extra long tounges ('acid maw' going by the Fex), 4 are normal 'Stealer heads.

There also seems to be an odd number of extended carapaces - there seems to be 3 1/2 sets.

GW you idiots...

boogle
27-04-2005, 20:34
maybe you only 'need' 1 feeder head for the unit to benefit (sort of a unit leader upgrade biomorph type thingy)

Lostanddamned
27-04-2005, 20:38
Then what about the preview pics release of a whole squad of these beasties?

boogle
27-04-2005, 20:42
there hasn't been, there has been a picture of a normal squad with a little inset pic of the feeder tentacle head and scything talons 'stealer

Wraith
27-04-2005, 20:56
Erm... no theres been the 'sneak peak' with an entire squad of feeder tentacle genestealers.

They put that inset feeder tentacle pic in the picture you refer to probably avoid false advertising claims... :rolleyes:

Lostanddamned
27-04-2005, 21:27
That doesnt add up avioding false advertising claims by telling us we can make a whole squad of feeder tentacles, but then only giving us one head.

Wraith
27-04-2005, 21:37
No, no, there's two pictures (I have both saved on my pc) -

The one Boogle is reffering too I think is off the GW store and has a pic of 8 basic stealers with a single picture of a feeder tentacle, scything talons, extended carapace 'stealer inset at the top left.

The sneak peek picture shows a squad of basic genestealers, a ripper swarm, and a squad of feeder tentacle, scything talons, extended carapace Genestealers.

My point is the picture used in the online store likely has the unusual single 'inset' feeder tentacle 'Stealer because to feature a squad of said genestealers would be giving the wrong impression of the box set's contents.

boogle
27-04-2005, 21:42
can you post the said squad for us to see please?

Wraith
27-04-2005, 21:44
Just go to the GW sneak peak...

http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/image3.jpg

I've heard there's a bigger picture of the 'diorama' featured in the picture (perhaps in the new codex) but I haven't seen it.

boogle
27-04-2005, 21:46
hmm, that can be construed as misleading, try sending them an email asking them why they have put out that picture, and try mentioning 'Trading Standards' see what they say!!!!

Wraith
27-04-2005, 21:50
They'd laugh at me and say the picture on the online store when one would 'buy' said items only features one feeder tentacle genestealer.

If you think about it almost all other sneak peaks are of a single model on a white background but the genestealer sneak peak is a picture of a diorama... I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Scythe
28-04-2005, 09:34
That's why there's always 'contents may vary from those shown' on the gw boxes. Shame that there's only one head, but not the end of the world. Gamewise the advantages of having a WS 6 model always hitting on 3+ is rather dubious anyway. Still, it would have been a small effort to put 2 feeder heads in the sprue and make it possible to run a whole unit with them with 2 boxed sets.

Marsekay
28-04-2005, 09:40
hmm, that can be construed as misleading, try sending them an email asking them why they have put out that picture, and try mentioning 'Trading Standards' see what they say!!!!

GW will say when you pick up the box it will say,

"contents may vary"

Then your swear words may vary.

boogle
28-04-2005, 21:31
I beleive the feeder tendrils have an area effect thoguh so it couild be useful to other units with lower WS

Scythe
29-04-2005, 10:29
Yup, that's true; would make stealers nice as a support unit for a carnifex or a big brood of hormagaunts or termagants. Still, I thought the range it convers this advantage was rather limited.

NAVARRO
29-04-2005, 11:26
this is one of the best spues ever... independent leg/ and arm many head variations, terrain, scyting talons, ripper, what could you want more? this is the converter dream and if we look at previous genestealer 3 bitz sprues then we can say its a HUGE leap...

not enough feeder heads? GS will solve it... but come on this is a great sprue... and lots of spare bitz... lots of things to play with i will have a blast with these sprues...

Wraith
29-04-2005, 12:12
I love the Genestealers but who ever designed the sprues needs to be shot.

Whoever thought one 'feeder tendril head' was 'ok' and then proceeeded to deliberatley put far, far less useful 'infestation markers', 'single spine rippers', and 'genestealer skull' needs to be flogged.

Seriosuly how many of you reading this now would have rathered GW wouldn't have bothered with the large 'infestation markers' and put more 'feeder tendril heads' on the sprue?

I don't believe GW didn't know exactly what they were doing only adding one feeder tendril head to the sprue and filling the rest of the sprue up with near useless (relatively) 'bits'.

[EDIT]

And no one has said anything about the fact that they've only included 3 and a 1/2 extended carapaces on a sprue of four genestealers!

It looks alsmot like someone has snapped of the missing extended carapace 1/2 as there's space for it (bottom right)!

Not including it again cannot be an oversight.

charlie_c67
29-04-2005, 12:24
Or perhaps they didn't anticipate the popularity of said head? And please don't anyone say "they should've known". It's hard enough trying to second guess what the public will find popular as it is.

Scythe
29-04-2005, 12:28
But they did put on 2 infestation markers. You can't really give much of an argument for those (well, maybe you can, but not for 2 on a frame).

Wraith
29-04-2005, 12:33
Here's a picture to better view the missing extended carapace half -

And I'm sorry thats a terrible excuse that they didn't 'anticipate the popularity' of 'feeder tentacles'.

GW knew quite well who bad **** the feeder tentacle heads would be enough to make an paint up an entire squad of them with scything talons and extended carapace to show off in their misleading sneak peek pictures. :mad:

charlie_c67
29-04-2005, 12:48
They did? And how pray tell would they know the demand be so big?

As for the missing carapace, have you considered that the real reason it's not there is because it was snapped of by accident? That in fact there is nothing sinister about it missing at all?

Wraith
29-04-2005, 12:57
I have considered that it was snapped of by accident because it's so obvious it could have been included hence why I said this --

It looks alsmot like someone has snapped of the missing extended carapace 1/2 as there's space for it (bottom right)!

I hope it is a mistake! But no evidence at the moment exists.

What would you think if it turns out not to be a mistake?

As for your comments how could they tell it'd be so popular -

(1) They aren't idiots and can see how cool they are.
(2) They thought them so cool they had an entire squad created of them.
(3) They wrote the 'feeder tendrils' rules (hence knowing they'd be a popular choice).
(4) The knew the demand for a sprue that contains all the options would be greater than one that includes only part of the options + 'infestation markers'.

NAVARRO
29-04-2005, 13:00
total of 9 heads for sprue and 18 for box of 8 minis and you guys feel displeased about not having more feeder heads :p

4 normal ones and 5 biomorphed ones is plenty to play with for 4 minis... hell you can cut off the tonghes of the remaining 5 glue them and make a feeder head... :D

infestation markers have rules in the new codex? or they are just terrain? if just terrain one per sprue would be more than enough... for that size they could do an alternative back carapace (carni way)

About the misleading sneak peek pictures...ALL publicity works that way you know? theres is always a latitude to pics representing the actual contents... and i fell MUCH MORE displeased with the crappy photoshop design and canned arwork :mad:

charlie_c67
29-04-2005, 13:03
Ok, but from the fact the tabs are there I'd say it was just snapped off by accident, it'd be smooth otherwise yeah?

In response to the rest.
1) They (or someone) also thought the Wave serpent was cool enough to release and look at the pasting that got.
2) True, but was this done after the people had seen the hed and enthused about it?
3) Not necessairily, they've written other rules that have been lambasted. White scars traits for instance.
4) Again, it's near impossible to gauge the publics response to a mini on something until it's out there in some form.

boogle
29-04-2005, 15:38
i think the area effect will come into play when the stealers and guants manage to launch an assault at the same time

Wraith
29-04-2005, 16:17
total of 9 heads for sprue and 18 for box of 8 minis and you guys feel displeased about not having more feeder heads :p

:rolleyes: first of all your inclluding the genestealer skulls which aren't heads.

Secondly that makes it two heads per Genestealer which no I don't consider anything spectacular considering how much space is wasted on the spure.

4 normal ones and 5 biomorphed ones is plenty to play with for 4 minis...

The skull isn't a biomorphs its just a skull...

4 normal heads, 3 acid maw (long tounge heads), and one feeder tentacle isn't good enough no.

I'd have preffered them to give 4 acid maw in fact so that at the very least one bio-morph was fully covered on the sprue.

And I say again it isn't good enough consider how much space is wasted on the sprue with trivalities.

infestation markers have rules in the new codex? or they are just terrain?

Like the skull the infestation markers have no rules they are just as terrain decoration.

The spine ripper is equaly a waste of time considering just how many boxes of genestealers you'd need to buy simply to field a legal unit of spine ripper bases.

About the misleading sneak peek pictures...ALL publicity works that way you know? theres is always a latitude to pics representing the actual contents...

Oh well if everyone does it's 'ok' then!

Just to set your mind at ease I equally point out misleading publicity where ever I see whatever the company. :rolleyes:

Ok, but from the fact the tabs are there I'd say it was just snapped off by accident, it'd be smooth otherwise yeah?

It's by no means deffinitive GW deliberatley didn't include the second half of the carapace rather than it not being on the picture by accident.

1) They (or someone) also thought the Wave serpent was cool enough to release and look at the pasting that got.

The wavserpent was an attempt to bastardise an all ready existing vehicle (falcon) to create a new sub type (which it arguably the kit was never intednded for). I argue that they knew the waveserpent wasn't their best work when they produced it...

Also you are choosing just one of a very few examples and disregarding the vast majority of minatures they produce which go onto sell very well because both the designers and the consumers agree that said minatures are nice.

2) True, but was this done after the people had seen the hed and enthused about it?

Are you actually attempting to suggest that by the time these dullards realised that said component looks 'cool' and has good rules they'd already put the sprue into production?

These individuals who had seen the feeder tendril concept pictures (now on GW web site) had chosen to have their minds wiped so that they could forget how impressed they were and how nice the rules are in the codex and as such only put one on the sprue?

... Right...

3) Not necessairily, they've written other rules that have been lambasted. White scars traits for instance.

Let me get this right you're attempting to suggest that back when they were in the design stage of the marine codex the designers actually thought the removial of special rules from the White Scars chapter would be well received? Do you not think they did it because they simply were forced to by the confines of the new trait system?

With the feeder tentacles they were 'adding' a new competetive option to the genestealers but with the white scars they were removing rules but you're suggesting they thought they were giving White Scars players something they wanted?

4) Again, it's near impossible to gauge the publics response to a mini on something until it's out there in some form.

Oh what tripe! Don't come the "oh you can't be sure of anything* -- it seems to me your arguing for argument sake I don't think there's anyone on this board that wouldn't agree with me when I say that they'd rather a new box set try to include all the squad options possible BEFORE the design team start adding useless terrain pieces, base decorations (which makes no sense for the army it's supplied with to have on it's bases), and inidividual rippers you'll likely never have enough to make a legal unit with.

I wouldn't bother answering my rhetorical questions above as the text in bold is and always has been my only point.

boogle
29-04-2005, 16:26
some people are NEVER happy, they could have just not bothered putting the feeder tentacles on the sprue at all (as in convert your own), and the same could be said for the ripper, if you think its a bad boxed set, don't buy it and convert the stuff you want, they are ADAPTABLE after all

Wraith
29-04-2005, 16:32
I specifically said I'd rather have not had them put the feeder tendril head on the sprue as they could have put another 'acid maw' on it meaning you'd have a full four heads allowing you to equip the entire squad with said biomorph out the box.

If you think my opinion as presented in the bold text of my last post is unreasonable please I invite you to explain why.

As I said I like the Genestealers and I even like the Spine Ripper but the guy who designed the sprue needs slapping with a large trout.

boogle
29-04-2005, 16:43
are you going to buy the boxed set?

Wraith
29-04-2005, 16:45
Do I own a Tyranid army?

boogle
29-04-2005, 16:47
how should I know?, i'm asking, because if you are going to buy, then stop complaining, if you are not going to buy it, then why are you complaining in the 1st place

Wraith
29-04-2005, 16:54
I know what you were implying I just dont like taking part in silly post discussion games.

Your point is flawed this is a discussion forum regarding (among other things) gw products -- there are no rules stating "A member is not allowed to critisicise GW's design decisions".

Having said that though from now on I'll be sure to make a point of watching for any critisicism of yours Boogle be it including (but not limited to) critisicing the price, scultp quality, design of rules, sprues, or models, so I can rub your "if you are going to buy, then stop complaining, if you are going to buy it, then why are you complaining in the 1st place" comments right in your face.

boogle
29-04-2005, 17:00
well have fun doing that then, what i don't like i don't buy, and as i hate all of Aly Morrison's work i don't buy anything of his, i can easilly work around the rules, the prices don't bother me as i buy from ebay, indy retailers or trades

i am only replying to your posts as you have been on a rant over nothing really for a page or so.

Wraith
29-04-2005, 17:09
I'm happy to let everyone else decide whether I was ranting or had a legitmate point I ask only they read my bolded text in post #41 as like I've said before it is and always has been my only point.

Scythe
29-04-2005, 18:30
Could we please stop throwing dirt at each other and return to the original discussion? At this point, this discussion in going nowere. Yes it's a shame that they only put one feeder tendril head on the sprue (I'd rather have seen 2 acid maws and 2 feeders), but come on, I live with it. There are worse things and ranting 5 pages about it doesn't really help to make your point any clearer. Think about it this way; most people won't use them since they have not enough of them so you can easily trade them.

Brimstone
29-04-2005, 19:01
Less of the heat please gentlemen it's getting a little warm in here.

NAVARRO
01-05-2005, 23:17
first of all your inclluding the genestealer skulls which aren't heads.

The skull isn't a biomorphs its just a skull...
(...)

And I say again it isn't good enough consider how much space is wasted on the sprue with trivalities.

(...)

Like the skull the infestation markers have no rules they are just as terrain decoration.
(...)
The spine ripper is equaly a waste of time considering just how many boxes of genestealers you'd need to buy simply to field a legal unit of spine ripper bases.

Now here is were we disagree :D i think theres freedom in these sprues because not all is just for the (plug and play) rules wise aproach...
see i think that bitz like the skull can be used as head since would be cool a regenerated fashion stealer, no rules for it? so what? it gives convo freaks such as myself the liberty to convert...

If your going to buy them just for play then i understant your rant but remember GW hobbie is just not only for players... ;)

so skull is indeed usefull head and ripper not waste of time... think on what you can do with a sprue and not what you cant... nevertheless i think 2 large identical terrain is a bit to much 1 would be more than enough.

so a sprue is crap if not all bitz usefull for gaming only purposes? i dont think so but hell its just my personal opinion....

as for publicity ....

Oh well if everyone does it's 'ok' then!

Just to set your mind at ease I equally point out misleading publicity where ever I see whatever the company.!

nope not ok but if the sun is hot why be surprised and displeased if you get burned????
and my mind is never at ease specially wen a 1 year waiting for nids is almost over ;)

relax guys these sprues are awesome for all purposes and not just for a few...
How many sprues do you have so many heads arms and separated legs? truly a great sprue.

note: is it just me or the forum is offline most of the time?