PDA

View Full Version : Word of Agony Question

Crispian25
17-10-2008, 12:34
In the new WoC book, there is a gift called Word of Agony, which states (according to 'confirmed' rumors, as I don't have the book yet) that at the start of the close combat phase, a model in base to base takes D6 S4 wounds.

1) Is this before any combats happen, or just that combat? Obviously it is before any blows are struck in that specific fight, but just checking on all combats.

2) If my Lord with this gift is attacking someone mounted on a monster (say Karl Franz on Deathclaw), do I need to distribute the wounds as per shooting between the monster and rider, or do they just go against KF?

Continuing to look, I noticed the Glaive of Putrifaction states that a model hit by it is reduced to S2 T2. If I hit KF, and wound him, does this mean that the whole model, Deathclaw and KF are S2 T2, or just KF? I (and common sense) would think it to mean just what I hit, but let's prevent some overzealous rules lawyering that crushes some dragons/other ridden monsters.

Atrahasis
17-10-2008, 14:10
1) Is this before any combats happen, or just that combat? Obviously it is before any blows are struck in that specific fight, but just checking on all combats.The wording says start of combat phase, so it would be before resolving any combats.

2) If my Lord with this gift is attacking someone mounted on a monster (say Karl Franz on Deathclaw), do I need to distribute the wounds as per shooting between the monster and rider, or do they just go against KF?*shrug* GW use model to mean physical model and "killable entity" interchangeably. I'd probably bet on just KF, but god knows. It's in the list of questions to be submitted to the Design Team.

Continuing to look, I noticed the Glaive of Putrifaction states that a model hit by it is reduced to S2 T2. If I hit KF, and wound him, does this mean that the whole model, Deathclaw and KF are S2 T2, or just KF? I (and common sense) would think it to mean just what I hit, but let's prevent some overzealous rules lawyering that crushes some dragons/other ridden monsters.
See above.

EvC
17-10-2008, 14:11
Generally it means before you start rolling dice for that particular challenge, but the precise wording does seem to indicate start of the phase. I think there are other quirks that insist they be done at the start of the phase, like rolling Giants' attacks (But don't quote me on this :D ). Unfortunately it would seem to be before you declare challenges, so if a nasty killy Lord in a unit of troops charges your Sorcerer Lord with Word of Agony, then you can't challenge and then kill him with the special ability unless he was already in contact with him.

Crispian25
17-10-2008, 14:25
The wording says start of combat phase, so it would be before resolving any combats.

Thanks to both of you for the responses. That how it read to me as well. As for the 'affects a model' stuff, I hope the answers come soon. It seems like the books are not read by an outsider before going to publishing, so the people proofing for little word usage or grammar quirks are reading what is in their head and not what is on the page, where the errors occur. I used to have that problem when I wrote, leaving out or including important, but wrong, words.

theunwantedbeing
17-10-2008, 15:06
Stuff that "affects a model" only affect the speicific part of the model.

ie. the old crown of eternal conquest for chaos "model gains regeneration"
So you can wander around on your chaos dragon that also has regeneration
Assuming you take the stand that model means the WHOLE model.

Same for the venom sword.
Take a toughness test, model dies if its failed.
Truly fantastic way of killing Tyrion as you just slay his mount and the model dies with it.
(old Tyrion obviously, I know the new one doesnt have a killable mount)

DeathlessDraich
17-10-2008, 15:27
2) If my Lord with this gift is attacking someone mounted on a monster (say Karl Franz on Deathclaw), do I need to distribute the wounds as per shooting between the monster and rider, or do they just go against KF?

Haven't read the new book so I don't know the exact rules of this gift but if this ability is used in combat then it has to abide with the combat rules for fighting characters on monstrous moujnts i.e. allocate attacks before rolling to hit/wound.

EDIT:
unwantedbeing - the 'model' uncertainty for multiple component models has been clarified in some FAQs as 'bearer only' and hopefully all future FAQs will consistently follow this.

theunwantedbeing
17-10-2008, 15:43
Oops seems I missed the bit saying that my examples were abusing the "model" rule...rather than going off what it should be.