PDA

View Full Version : WE Vs. Double Steam Tank + War Altar

skarsnik
17-10-2008, 14:02
What do you guys think a WE army, without Treemans, can do against the 2xSteam Tank + War altar tournament Empire Army. What tactics do you think I can use. Do I ignore the ST and go for the war altar and the rest of the army, or are there other things I can do?

Thanks.

BigbyWolf
17-10-2008, 14:21
What kinda things are you going to be using/ available?

skarsnik
17-10-2008, 14:29
3 units of dryads , a couple of wardancers, a couple of glade riders units, a couple of waywatchers units, 2 archer units, a wardancer lord, a alter noble, a spell singer and a branchwraith.

PeG
17-10-2008, 14:32
My advice would be to avoid the Stanks (if you have sufficient terrain), kill his casters (you have magical bows and arrows that will let you do this) and then kill the rest.

Probably you want Hail of doom, bow that lets you fire multiple shots in combination with arrows that ignore armour saves possibly also combined with kindred that gives you an additional ranged attack, and bow/arrow that allows you to target individual models despite them hiding in a unit.
If you need to take a couple of wounds of the Stanks to make them less efficient then ignore them for the rest of the game.

Malorian
17-10-2008, 14:33
Ignore the steam tanks and maybe even the war altar too. Run around these with the dryads and send them at the rest of the army while baiting charges with the riders.

If those naty units spend the whole game running after your riders they won't make their points back.

And if you can, try and get those things to run into the trees. Remember that the arch lector has hate and HAS to pursue.

Edit: Another thought would be to talk to some of your buddies and borrow some cannons to use as dog of war ; )

BigbyWolf
17-10-2008, 14:42
Tree Singing a few woods in the way of S Tanks will annoy him, perhaps using Waywatchers to pick off his Arch Lector if you can.

Like the others say, it's best if you avoid them if you can. What will your opponent be taking as troops, if it's infantry you'll have no trouble moving around them, but if its cavalry you might have to watch it...

skarsnik
17-10-2008, 14:57
thanks guys.

Baiting the steam tanks sounds good.
He has 2 units of knights and 2 of pistoliers and some canons, but the canons don't scary me that much as most of my units are skirmish. I was thinking of targeting the ArchLector with my waywachters, there are 12 of them, its a long shot, but if I can do it the game will run smother.

The Red Scourge
17-10-2008, 15:19
I seriously believe the best non treeman option woodies got against a steam tank is the Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins – and thats not a good one.

So avoid the stanks and let your opponent spend 600 points on really expensive cannons ;)

Drow__Warrior
17-10-2008, 15:22
Your not gonna avoid 2x Stanks and a war alter. I'm sorry, thats just not realistic. Your gonna try and ignore 600 pts. and its gonna just run you over. Your not gonna "BAIT" them anywhere, because half your army is forest spirits (immune to psych) and therefore unable to declare flee as a charge reaction.

Looking at your list, its just a very bad matchup for you. I'd say you need one of three things.

1. Treemen/Treekin - something with a ward save that is strong enough to wound a stank

2. Forest Dragon - same premise, big flyin baddy that can do wounds and put them outa commision

3. Strong Magic - If you load up on treesinging, you can just treesing a woods right ontop of the steam tank. Not only will you block them out, but as soon as they try and move out of contact with the woods the next turn i think they take D6 STR 6 hits. (chariot rule?) I'm not sure on the hits, but it would still work.

The Red Scourge
18-10-2008, 07:37
1. Treemen/Treekin - something with a ward save that is strong enough to wound a stank

2. Forest Dragon - same premise, big flyin baddy that can do wounds and put them outa commision

3. Strong Magic - If you load up on treesinging, you can just treesing a woods right ontop of the steam tank. Not only will you block them out, but as soon as they try and move out of contact with the woods the next turn i think they take D6 STR 6 hits. (chariot rule?) I'm not sure on the hits, but it would still work.

1. OP said no treeman. And treekin aren't strong enough.

2. Forest dragon. With a lot of luck and a 3+ ward save it might survive, but it won't kill a stank fast enough.

3. You can't sing forests on top of enemy units, and steam tanks can in no way enter difficult terrain.

- no 3 and lots of forests is the best solution, with waywatchers to give the Walter a Lethal Shot :evilgrin:

Drow__Warrior
18-10-2008, 07:56
Yup, I know you can't sing them on top of the units, but you can move all the way up until you contact it. So that is pretty much gonna block it totally off.

I think a unit of 4 treekin would make a decnt dent in it too, autohitting and the 5's to wound aint bad. Over the course of 2x combats your gonna sneak quite a few in there, and in the battle of attrition ther gonna come out on top i think. STANK only attacks once every 2 turns, and they have ward to suck it up.

Leogun_91
18-10-2008, 08:41
Your not gonna avoid 2x Stanks and a war alter. I'm sorry, thats just not realistic. Your gonna try and ignore 600 pts. and its gonna just run you over.Why not, WE can easily avoid getting charged by a steamtank I mean the thing canīt even move into a wood, the cannon on the thing wonīt make up for the 300pts it costs and the waraltar canīt even take a tablequarter. He should have no trouble taking out the cannons and by just playing sneaky he can steal some points here and some there to give himself a minor victory.

Drow__Warrior
18-10-2008, 15:59
You might acomplish your minor victory 1 outa 10 games. Forest spirits can't FLEE from a stank. There is no way a halfway decent player is just gonna run their Stanks outa the game so that they can't support the rest of their army. It's just not realistic to IGNORE 3 huge things like that.

W0lf
18-10-2008, 22:27
I agree about the realism.

you have to give your opponent credit cos im sure if we were talking to the empire player we'd be able to give him effective advice, we sure wouldnt say 'the stanks will do nothing he'll avoid you and get a minor'.

its a terrible match up for woodelves. face it.

Dairym
19-10-2008, 11:59
The funniest idea I had was an alter lord with a great weapon, amarinthine brooch and oaken armour, giving him the equivalent of a 2+ save against being run over (3+ then 4+). This guy is hardly reliable though, especially with magic missiles on the loose.

The war altar could potentially be harrassed by maneuvrable units - it'll tend not to win combats, after all, but killing it is another matter. Massed low strength hits may be as good a bet as any.

At the end of the day, you're looking for some lucky wounds - once the steam tanks take one or two they lose effectiveness

Kalec
19-10-2008, 16:32
A empire player with a war alter probably brought along a couple of mages and a priest with the doomfire ring, a couple cannons and some missile infantry.

Empire is hardly impotent at range, and can stop quite a few treesingings. If WE wants to win, he needs to deal some damage, and it won't be easy.