PDA

View Full Version : Flee as a Charge Reaction and Overrun

Tsear
17-10-2008, 16:51
I had a question about a few weird situations that come up when you flee from a charge. The way I understand it, first the defending player rolls to see how far he goes, and then the charge is measured - if the defender escaped, the chargers move forward as in a failed charge. But what happens in the following situations?

Suppose I have a unit F in front of unit B, charged by unit C. C is 5" from F, and 7" from B, and has an 8" charge range. Unit C charges unit F, which declares a flee reaction and escapes; does unit C then just move forward 4", or can they continue their charge into unit B? What if we have the situation but unit C moves 8" normally? Then, when they do their failed charge move, they still run into unit B - is this treated as a charge?

Finally, suppose I have the same setup as above. Unit C declares a charge on unit F, which flees. They don't roll enough on their dice to escape the charge. However, when they move their flee distance, they end up on top of unit B and are placed on the far side, at which point they are far enough from C. Is unit F safe or does it get charged and dispersed anyway?

Thanks for the help.

semersonp
17-10-2008, 17:44
Suppose I have a unit F in front of unit B, charged by unit C. C is 5" from F, and 7" from B, and has an 8" charge range. Unit C charges unit F, which declares a flee reaction and escapes; does unit C then just move forward 4", or can they continue their charge into unit B?

they can continue their charge into unit B...

What if we have the situation but unit C moves 8" normally? Then, when they do their failed charge move, they still run into unit B - is this treated as a charge?

if they move 8" normally and 16" on the charge they would most certainly reach unit B and would thus count as charging B...

Finally, suppose I have the same setup as above. Unit C declares a charge on unit F, which flees. They don't roll enough on their dice to escape the charge. However, when they move their flee distance, they end up on top of unit B and are placed on the far side, at which point they are far enough from C. Is unit F safe or does it get charged and dispersed anyway?

F is safe by virtue of their buddies and B will get charged...

Thanks for the help.

you're welcome! :)

*i don't have my rulebook on me at the moment so i can't give you pages or 100% assurance but i'm relatively sure the above is solid information... but if someone does have their book on them please x2 check me*

jesters89
18-10-2008, 06:32
The answer to your first question should be under the "enemy in the way" section of the rulebook. You can no longer "redirect"; however, if your trajectory and possible distance would carry you into a new fight, you've got a new viable charge. (I believe).

As for the second question... This is best handled if you consider carefully the order of charge declaration and reactions.
1) Test for terror if applicable.
2) Declare charges.
3) Move Compulsory.
4) Declare charge Reaction.
5) Carry out Charge reaction.
6) Move Chargers.

Given that chargers are moved after carrying out the charge reaction, the unit is unable to catch the original target. That is of course, unless they defeat and overrun through their new charged target in which case they might potentially catch the original target. Two for the price of one.

DeathlessDraich
18-10-2008, 09:26
Suppose I have a unit F in front of unit B, charged by unit C. C is 5" from F, and 7" from B, and has an 8" charge range. Unit C charges unit F, which declares a flee reaction and escapes; does unit C then just move forward 4", or can they continue their charge into unit B?

(C) has to either declare EITW or stop 1" from (B).
Directions are important and the FAQ for the EITW would help.

What if we have the situation but unit C moves 8" normally? Then, when they do their failed charge move, they still run into unit B - is this treated as a charge?

C is M8? Same as the above.

Thanks for the help.

To catch the fleers, the chargers must move straight through the fleers *final position*.
A failed charge or EITW occurs if the chargers cannot reach this *final* position.
It is still possible however for EITW unit to also flee and *both* enemy units are caught if the same criterion is fulfilled - the charger is able to move through their final positions.

Chicago Slim
19-10-2008, 02:59
As for the second question... This is best handled if you consider carefully the order of charge declaration and reactions.
1) Test for terror if applicable.
2) Declare charges.
3) Move Compulsory.
4) Declare charge Reaction.
5) Carry out Charge reaction.
6) Move Chargers.

While I agree with your basic premise (this stuff is best handled by referring to the turn order), I disagree with the turn order as you've provided it... Re-check your rulebook, and I think you'll find that Terror Tests happen in the "beginning of turn" phase (not the movement phase), that charge responses are before compulsory moves, and that charge reactions may occur in different places, depending on what the reaction is.

Here's my summary of the Movement Phase:

a) Declare Charges Subphase:
i) Declare charges, noting order in which they're declared
ii) Chargers who Fear their target take Fear tests
iii) Declare responses, in the same order charges were declared
b) Rally Fleeing Troops (not relevant to this discussion, but there it is)
c) Compulsory Moves (including moving enemy units who've chosen or been compelled to Flee as a charge response)
d) Move Charges:
For each charging unit, in the order that charges were declared:
i) Receive Stand and Shoot charge responses
ii) Measure charge range; determine charge outcome (possibilities include successful charge, failed charge, or Enemy in the Way); If the target Fears the charger, test after measuring; if the target fails this test now, they flee immediately.
iii) Move the charging unit
Proceed to the next charging unit, until all have moved.

As for Enemy in the Way, it's worth re-emphasizing that EitW can ONLY occur if the charger's path TO IT'S DECLARED TARGET will take it into a different enemy unit.

KillbotFactory
19-10-2008, 05:00
i) Declare charges, noting order in which they're declared
ii) Chargers who Fear their target take Fear tests

You have these 2 in the wrong order. The rulebook clearly states that a unit must past its fear test before declaring its charge and if it is failed then no charge declaration is every made.