PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer GT Throne of Skulls Rules muck-up

willadams33
17-10-2008, 17:07
I wasn't really sure where to put this so here goes: Right, in the rules pack for the '08 Warhammer GT, it states that objectives and table quarters cannot be claimed by a single model. So, does this mean that the following types of creatures cannot claim objectives? After all, they are all single models:

Treemen
Steam Tanks
War Alters
Dragons (arguably two models when they have riders)
Shaggoths
Giants
Steggadons
Casket of Souls etc (you get the idea)

If it does (which is my reading of the rule) then it massively alters the types of armies which will be seen at the GT this year.

Many Thanks,

Will Adams

Malorian
17-10-2008, 17:11
Not really. It will just be like 40k were you have some units to smash your opponent while the troops run behind to capture the objectives.

EvC
17-10-2008, 18:13
Or rather, yes it does. Why is this a muck-up? That aspect of the rules is perfect at discouraging people from taking yawnfest monster-heavy armies... bit unlucky with the timing though, as many Dark Elf armies are eprfect for exploiting the rules.

willadams33
17-10-2008, 19:23
Sorry, let me clarify, I am all for this rule, I think it is a good idea, it will stop things like the two-steam-tank-war-altar list etc. My question is what qualifies as a single model. Did GW mean it as single infantry size models or all models. Does a dragon with its rider, or an arch lector riding a war altar, count as a single model? I would classify both as one model, I just wanted peoples opinions. I am confident in myself that the ruling does negate these types of models taking table quarters, otherwise why not just use the US5 rule as in the normal warhammer rule book?

Will

sulla
17-10-2008, 19:25
Sounds like a good idea for GT's. They should be using their rules to influence the sort of armies they want to see there.

Ixquic
17-10-2008, 20:06
I would assume a monster and it's rider would count as a "single model." I like this idea although it makes Hydras even more of a steal compared to other monsters than they already are...

willadams33
17-10-2008, 21:48
I would assume a monster and it's rider would count as a "single model." I like this idea although it makes Hydras even more of a steal compared to other monsters than they already are...

LOL I hadn't thought of that, Hydra's are awesome! Does a character on a chariot count as a single model though? I think it is a great move on the whole now, as it will get warhammer focused on infantry which is what the game is all about, not stupid armies with two treemen and a BSB standing behing them and things like that!

Will Adams

Harwammer
17-10-2008, 23:24
By 'single model' it means those without a boy/girlfriend.

EvC
17-10-2008, 23:37
A good rule of thumb Will, is if a model is on one single base, then it's a single model. If it's on more than one base, then it's not a single model.

ewar
18-10-2008, 00:00
it's just a shame what all the other gt rules do - like screw over other armies. Dwarfs for instance are rendered totally useless under this system. How can they capture table quarters/objectives in 2/3 of the games? And don't get me started on kill points - the worst addition to fantasy ever.

isidril93
18-10-2008, 07:34
it makes players rely more on RNF rather than flying creature from hell.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-10-2008, 08:43
Dwarfs for instance are rendered totally useless under this system. How can they capture table quarters/objectives in 2/3 of the games?

Dwarfs are actually faster than the majority of infantry armies after turn one/two (can't be march blocked) and you do have options like Miners, Anvil or Strollaz (sp?) rune. It's far from impossible, just different to how many dwarf armies are played.

ewar
19-10-2008, 03:08
Dwarfs are actually faster than the majority of infantry armies after turn one/two (can't be march blocked) and you do have options like Miners, Anvil or Strollaz (sp?) rune. It's far from impossible, just different to how many dwarf armies are played.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. The march blocking rule really, in my experience, has little effect in the greater scheme of things. Competitive dwarf builds rely on solid troop choices and good supporting missile fire (not even considering the thorek list). So under the current gt rules kps completely penalize all the special/rare choices, plus they force dwarfs into choosing movement assistance items when they need to be choosing offensive abilities.

Are you telling me that when I put 2 of the 4 objectives in my own deployment zone, that the dwarfs are going to be able to get anything other than a draw at best?!

The whole system is completely biased. Just eliminate SCs and everything is fixed.

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-10-2008, 08:53
Are you telling me that when I put 2 of the 4 objectives in my own deployment zone, that the dwarfs are going to be able to get anything other than a draw at best?!

Yes. Mind you, I'm not saying it will be easy, but it's certainly possible. It also requires you to play Dwarfs differently than the traditional 'castle and shoot' game, but you can actually make a good dwarf assault army.

Between Miners, Strollaz and the Anvil you do have options for getting to those objectives. But I'm not disagreeing that it limits the Dwarf army more in what options it have and that it's not going to have as easy a time as some other lists. But it can certainly match the speed of other infantry armies.

Danger Rat
19-10-2008, 19:18
Im not taking dwarfs this year but i wouldn't worry about claiming quarters there are lots of ways of doing it, miners or rangers(2 units if you take Josef Bugman) and thats before getting to the anvil or Strollaz. People are going to have to come to the dwarfs to try and get your quarters so apart from taking miners and rangers I wouldn't do a lot different from big blocks of infantry supported by missile fire.

Mr_Rose
19-10-2008, 19:37
By 'single model' it means those without a boy/girlfriend.
Neat. Mark of Slaanesh all round then. :p

narrativium
19-10-2008, 20:48
Are you telling me that when I put 2 of the 4 objectives in my own deployment zone, that the dwarfs are going to be able to get anything other than a draw at best?!If someone did that, they'd be going against the rules. The tournament pack states a maximum of 1 objective per deployment zone, and I'd suggest to the Dwarf player that if they win the roll to place an objective first, they be the one to place the objective in their opponent's zone.

Fraggzy
20-10-2008, 13:35
aint it supposed to be the unit strength that decides?

that a unit with unitstrenght 1 cant capture while a dragon with unitstrenght 4 can?

Count Zero
20-10-2008, 14:03
no it says no single model and min US5 i believe. i think its been put in to try and cut back on the dual stank lists etc.

so bascily only units and oddities like hydras can take objectives if i read it right.