PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with skaven, please help!

Coram_Boy
17-10-2008, 18:40
If you could give any help or advice on the following lists, it would be really useful!
a 500 pts skaven army
a 1500 pts skaven army
thanks very much,
coram boy

Vanz
17-10-2008, 21:05
I too am looking for help with a Skaven army list, I currently have the following models: Warlock Engineer, and 40 Clan Rats unbuilt.

Any suggestions on what to do with them to build a 500 point list would be greatly appreciated.

dal9ll
17-10-2008, 23:31
Talk about a threadjack, Vanz. Lol.

Im not going to give you guys army lists because you need to think of your own, but I can try to point you in the right direction.

First, decide whether or not you want a shooty/magic-heavy Skaven list, or a hordey/swarmy Skaven list.

For the former, you'll need a Grey Seer as a general, 2-3 Warlock Engineers, and lots of Ratling Guns, Warpfire Throwers, Warp-Lightning Cannons, and Jezzials. You basically just pummel your opponent with scary magic and artillery the whole time. Its effective as long as you dont go overboard on the shooty stuff and still keep lots of Clanrats/Slaves.

For the latter, you basically just need a Warlord as your general, then a ****-load of Clanrats, Slaves, Stormvermin, and Giant Rats. The goal is to overwhelm. Just remember that Skaven units in small numbers either run away early on, or get slaughtered in melee. Skaven rank-and-file rely on STATIC COMBAT RESOLUTION to win combats (Ie: rank bonuses, standard bonuses, etc.), not casualties inflicted.

Remember that if you dont outnumber your opponent, thats a bad thing (unless youre playing Goblins or Gnoblars or something). Anyway, here are some things I believe are essential in any Skaven army:

-- 2-3 Warlock Engineers with the works. Being able to cast 2D6 S5 hits is absurd.

--3-5 small units of skirmishers (like Nightrunners, Rat Swarms, etc.) to protect your units' flanks from side/rear charges. Skaven rely too heavily on rank bonus to have it taken away by side/rear charges.

--a ****-load of Clanrats/Slaves/Giant Rats (my 2000 point list has about 150-160, for example)

-- some Jezzials. Theyre great for taking out Knights/heavily-armoured folks.

--Ratling Guns/Warpfire Throwers for your Clanrat and Stormvermin units. Ratling Guns are great against rank-and-file and Warpfire Throwers are great for multi-wound models like Ogres or big Daemons, etc.

Hope this helps!!

PS: Oh! and dont be afraid to take advantage of the 'Expendable' special rule!

Vanz
17-10-2008, 23:43
Yeah I don't really want to mass that many units, so the least the better, but I did choose Skaven... it's more a cost thing than anything.

But I do like the look of a magic shooty army better, does anyone use the like censer bearers and stuff?

Shamfrit
18-10-2008, 00:23
For Skaven, there is a Threefold Law:

+ Three units of 25 Clanrats, Full Command.
+ Three times as many models as your opponent.
+ Three units of ranged/skirmishers/hammers.

To achieve this, you don't need to spend that much to get your Core units. Yes, 75 clanrats might seem intense, but it's what's required, for either the start of a horde or the foundations of a true blue Seer lead Gunline.

If you're outnumbering 2:1 against other hordes, it's acceptable, but if you're significantly outnumbered you'd better know movement strategies and flanking/baiting damned well, because you're in trouble if you don't.

Three units of Night Runners, as screens (one for each Clanrat unit, due to the Mainstay Rule, and/or one for each weapon team that is accompanying the aforementioned clanrats.) Then three units/models with ranged support - weapon teams, or small groups of jezzails or a cannon can fulfil this role. Hammers come in the form of Rat Ogres, or a unit of Stormvermin or Plague Monks with an accompanying unit of Censer Bearers (6 wide, additional hand weapons, deacon and either Hatred or Umbranner as support works very well, if you use Night Runners to block baiting units.)

Hope this helps :skull:

Coram_Boy
18-10-2008, 15:31
thanks very much - I'll make amendments to my 'trial list' and post this when I can. is it worth it to get the battallion? it seems a good deal but I don't know how many models I'll actually use.

Coram_Boy
18-10-2008, 15:40
I suppose that I'll probably get the battalion then, and follow that up with some other things, or mabye convert my jezzails (curse you, limited budget) from the old bits and pieces. infact, doing things like that are generally much more satisfying than actually buying the sets (and besides, I don't have superglue!)