PDA

View Full Version : GW Game Table Alternatives

DoomedFuture
18-10-2008, 01:18
For those who think the GW table is on the expensive side, here are some alternatives:

http://www.war-zone.com/shop/tabletops.html

http://guardtowergames.com/guardtowergames/cat_battleset_more.html

TwilightWalker
18-10-2008, 01:31
Aha! I was going to make one of these, saw the news of the price increase on BoLS, unfortunately, I lost all of the links I found, but still have these two:

http://www.battlescapes.com/

http://www.reddragonterrain.com/

Which both look rather promising, does anybody else have knowledge of other places for those that have the cash to spare, but not the time?

Luthor
18-10-2008, 02:43
Thanks a bunch! Who knew I could get an extra 2 feet added on and the boards already completed for just $9 more than GW is charging!

Autarch_Celebrate
18-10-2008, 04:11
Thanks these are real life savers, i really want to have a games table but dont have the time

AngelofSorrow
18-10-2008, 06:25
Wow I've Seen the new GW table up close and personal and they are vastly superior to those.
I will gladly drop $275 on the GW table Please and Thank You

Sidstyler
18-10-2008, 06:29
Well, it's your money...

Sir_Lunchalot
18-10-2008, 06:58
Personally I like the Zuzzy mats (http://www.zuzzy.com/dr-tf-001_terra_flex_gaming_mat.html). My local gaming club has a couple and they're fantastic to play on.

Sidstyler
18-10-2008, 07:28
Those Zuzzy mats do look pretty good, I kinda want one myself.

Bregalad
18-10-2008, 12:52
Here links to the Ziterdes and Zuzzy mats:
http://www.ziterdes.de/ziterdes/en/produkte/listview.php?catID=69&subcatID=99

http://www.zuzzy.com/dr-tf-001_terra_flex_gaming_mat.html (52.61 $)
http://www.zuzzy.com/rl-tf-001_terra_flex_gaming_mat.html (same).
Imagine: You can get 4 of those for the price of ONE GW board!

Luthor
18-10-2008, 16:42
Wow I've Seen the new GW table up close and personal and they are vastly superior to those.

Don't forget all the extras to paint and flock the thing, and then all the extra scenery you need.

Cartographer
18-10-2008, 17:05
To be honest, with a 25 budget I have made better game tables than any of these. Sure it takes a couple of weekends, but I guess I just like making scenery. I'd never fork out the kind of cash required for even one of those cut-price mats, let alone the GW one.

(That said, the 'swamp' board is proving to be a big pain, way over budget, as I didn't properly calculate just how much resin I'd need to cover it. And it was only a 6x4 as well...:cries:)

leonmallett
18-10-2008, 17:17
Does anyone have much experience with either the Ziterdes sets, Zuzzy mats or the Deluxe WarBoard Battle Set (second link)?

If so how hard wearing are they? What materials are used? What is the weight - heavy or light (subjective I know)?

Any recommendations from experience?

static grass
18-10-2008, 17:20

I agree totally. Once again GW has delivered a fantastic product. The community of veterans ask for some love. GW respond with a great looking table. Those Red Dragon Terrain are not in the same league as the GW table even before it has been flocked.

If the cost is really the only issue people have with board then it is a shame. I guess GW looked at the risk and decided to go with an expensive niche product rather take on larger development costs and build something cheaper.

I am really surprised people react so strongly to the price. You don't need to buy this. You can play on your bedroom floor. This is completely unlike your army which costs about the same and which you do need to buy if you want to play in a GW store or tourney and not from their competitors that actually offer decent alternatives.

The Base
18-10-2008, 17:36
While the alternate ones are cheaper they strike me has having the same flaw as the GW table.

They cost more than making the table yourself, all while producing a more limiting final product.

dr.oetk3r
18-10-2008, 17:46
Those Zuzzy boards look really nice.

Bregalad
18-10-2008, 18:30
Does anyone have much experience with either the Ziterdes sets, Zuzzy mats or the Deluxe WarBoard Battle Set (second link)?

If so how hard wearing are they? What materials are used? What is the weight - heavy or light (subjective I know)?

Any recommendations from experience?
The Ziterdes boards are relatively light, with no stabilizers (possible bending) and square feet that have to be glued into the corners so the board doesn't slip over the table edge. Being one vacu-formed piece, the edges are round and clearly show rims between the different parts. Long wear and maltreatment in a store can damage the corners or protruding parts of the board. So technically, the GW will be superior, but not worth double the price.
See my Tyranid and Necron project log for pics of the unmodified, prepainted boards.

For Zuzzy mats see here for some comments (esp. page 3):
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93028

Staurikosaurus
18-10-2008, 18:54
I like the GW board. It's durable, can be painted to suit and it comes with a carrying case so you can take it to a buddy's house to have a game. A far step above the other tables shown which are foam and chip easily. Yeah they're cheaper but you get what you pay for. Another plus for the GW board is that it is plastic like the hills etc they put out so if you want to change the paint scheme you can just strip it and repaint it. The current WD also talks about add on tiles coming out for it in the future as well.

Mad Dok Wotnot
18-10-2008, 19:12

Have to a agree here. Having had a chance to manhandle the GW ones. I'll be giving up just that little more of my soul

Ravenheart
18-10-2008, 20:05

We have some Ziterdes sets in the store and to be honest I'm not too happy with them. They are ok for the occasional game; but if you want a good looking, quality table you need to work on them further (stabilizing and repainig).

FashaTheDog
18-10-2008, 20:19
http://amethyst-angel.com/newbanner/pinkfoam.jpg
http://www.serpentwebsite.com/SQPT_plywood.jpg
http://www.woodlandscenics.com/

That's all I need for my table!

X-Porter
18-10-2008, 20:51
http://amethyst-angel.com/newbanner/pinkfoam.jpg
http://www.serpentwebsite.com/SQPT_plywood.jpg
http://www.woodlandscenics.com/

That's all I need for my table!

Yeah, really.
Some foam insulation board, a roll of duct tape, and some grass mat from the model train store and you're set. Been using my table for years. Cost me maybe $30.

If you want a diferent type of landscape, look for some textured acrylic medium in an art supply store and do some painting.

Honestly, stop throwing ridiculous amounts of money at GW for something you could walk to the corner for.

(Some of that ZUZZY stuff is pretty cool, tho...)

ankara halla
18-10-2008, 22:37
I agree totally. Once again GW has delivered a fantastic product. The community of veterans ask for some love. GW respond with a great looking table. Those Red Dragon Terrain are not in the same league as the GW table even before it has been flocked.

If the cost is really the only issue people have with board then it is a shame. I guess GW looked at the risk and decided to go with an expensive niche product rather take on larger development costs and build something cheaper.

I am really surprised people react so strongly to the price. You don't need to buy this. You can play on your bedroom floor. This is completely unlike your army which costs about the same and which you do need to buy if you want to play in a GW store or tourney and not from their competitors that actually offer decent alternatives.

How is this a "veteran" product? How many vets don't allready have great boards of their own? Or in the very least have been in the hobby long enough to build them for themselfs or their clubs or where ever they tend to play?

Is it a veteran product becouse it isn't great for gaming from the box, and instead requires that "veteran" touch to paint it and flock it? Is that what is seen as a "veteran" to the hobby?

Is it really? Seriously? And I'm killing off all sarcasm here, what little there was in the first place.

But again, seriously, what in the heck makes a gaming board, of all things, a veteran product? If anything, it's the new guys who lack a place to play with their friends! They are the ones playing on the bedroom floor. The new guys! It's not like one of them becomes a "veteran" the moment he or she buys this board, is it?

MasterDecoy
18-10-2008, 23:13
I know some people cant be fagged making their own scenery.

I myself have 2 tabels worth of scenery that myself and my brother have made or bought. But very little of it is painted. It definatly takes a distant second to my amry in terms of atenntion

Sidstyler
19-10-2008, 01:36
I know some people cant be fagged making their own scenery.

I myself have 2 tabels worth of scenery that myself and my brother have made or bought. But very little of it is painted. It definatly takes a distant second to my amry in terms of atenntion

I'm the opposite, I put more attention and effort into making my table than I have painting my army. :p

Pokpoko
19-10-2008, 01:42
i don't know what's more insane..the price tag attached to six flat-ish cubes of plastic, or that some people actually defended that price tag!

Sidstyler
19-10-2008, 02:42
$200 with shipping included would really not have been so bad. And honestly I can't see how GW wouldn't profit from that. They would've made a lot more sales than they will now, a lot of people have gone from a "maybe" purchase to "no way in hell"...

Fist
19-10-2008, 04:25
AngelofSorrow wrote...

"Wow I've Seen the new GW table up close and personal and they are vastly superior to those.
"
Please tell us more. I have not yet encountered anyone who is willing to pay the new asking price for the GW Gaming Table. Do you really like it that much? Do you not enjoy making terrain? Is it a time issue? Just curious.

X-Porter
19-10-2008, 04:26
Oh Sweet Zombie Jesus..

I would play with some books piled on my kitchen table with a length of green felt layed over it (Rogue Trader Style) before I dropped $200 on a table.

Really, Cut and flock some foam board for hills, make some buildings from foamcore and balsa wood. It doesn't take that much to make a good looking table...

Dangersaurus
19-10-2008, 11:29
$275 and you don't even get legs? Give me 2 yards of felt (http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric.php?id=FELT1&google=felt&k=felt&gclid=CPyQ7oWKs5YCFQykagodmGArLg) for $10-15 please! Make it 4 yards. With a quick run through a sewing machine, you can switch between grassland and desert.

Sidstyler
19-10-2008, 11:34
People keep saying stuff like that, but a felt playing surface just looks stupid in my opinion...if it works then by all means, but I want a damn battlefield. Seems like a waste to go through all the trouble of painting and assembling a badass army just to throw it on green felt with hills made out of books...

With that said though, I would never spend that much on that table. Maybe if they lowered the price back to where it's supposed to be.

Timber_Wolf
19-10-2008, 11:42
i own a ziterdes modular gaming table myself and im really happy about it. sure, youll have to put some additional work in it, but its a great system and the stuff can be packed in and out of a quite small box in no time.

leonmallett
19-10-2008, 17:11
The Ziterdes boards are relatively light, with no stabilizers (possible bending) and square feet that have to be glued into the corners so the board doesn't slip over the table edge. Being one vacu-formed piece, the edges are round and clearly show rims between the different parts. Long wear and maltreatment in a store can damage the corners or protruding parts of the board. So technically, the GW will be superior, but not worth double the price.
See my Tyranid and Necron project log for pics of the unmodified, prepainted boards.

For Zuzzy mats see here for some comments (esp. page 3):
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93028

We have some Ziterdes sets in the store and to be honest I'm not too happy with them. They are ok for the occasional game; but if you want a good looking, quality table you need to work on them further (stabilizing and repainig).

Thanks for the info.

Templar Ben
19-10-2008, 20:06
People keep saying stuff like that, but a felt playing surface just looks stupid in my opinion...if it works then by all means, but I want a damn battlefield. Seems like a waste to go through all the trouble of painting and assembling a badass army just to throw it on green felt with hills made out of books...

With that said though, I would never spend that much on that table. Maybe if they lowered the price back to where it's supposed to be.

I don't think felt looks any worse than static grass over paint. Even buying a piece of wood and using the best GW coverings and picking up two GW modular hills will result in the same thing as this table for a fraction of the cost. You can go all GW but still not spend this level of money.

FashaTheDog
19-10-2008, 21:26
There seem to be several opinions here:

1: Green/tan/gray felt and whatever terrain is handy is fine.
2: GW's new table is the best thing to happen ever as I have the money and desire to buy it (can't be bothered/have skill/time to make my own, really like GW's, et cetra).
3: GW's table is overpriced, I can/have/am make(d)(ing) my own.

I fall under the third but being into the model trains at HO, N, O, and Z scales with experience making my own layouts probably skews me heavily in that direction. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the tables if your budget allows it. However, it is not the most economical option out there, although it may be the only feaible one for a great looking table.

One thing that has always bothered me about GW (and it is starting to get better) in general is that those who are only familar with them as a modeling hobby really lacks the skills other hobbists have until GW "introduces them to the world." Take for instance the spray gun GW released (not an airbrush I know but on a tank similar results can be achieved). Prior to it, very few Warhammer players I know have ever used an airbrush, while most modellers I know swear by their's. Now a few 40K players are looking to try out an airbrush for tanks because GW has how to articles on using their spray gun to paint tanks. Chalks are something that I rarely see 40K players use (those that do almostly exclusively got it from the Treadhead articles), despite the fact they are perfect for weathering. Until GW released their water effects, only a one other person I talked to used Woodland Scenics' identical product. GW's foam cutter is the $2 Michael's one with a label over the white and green handle. I know of no one who uses styrene, newspaper, and plaster cloth to make their gaming tables. I mentioned it once and the most common reply was, "I'm only familar with GW products and techniques." It's a minor peeve, amounting to a whole hill of nothing, as once the new product/technique is introduced people will wonder how they ever got along without it, even though it was rather common outside of GW for years prior.

keatsmeister
19-10-2008, 21:33
Looking at the GW board, it looks nice enough, but I think they'd have done better to sell them as individual tiles which you can pick and choose, with a multibuy discount. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a table, I'd at least like a bit more choice in what it looks like terrain wise.

I'm fine at the moment with my plain ol' battlemat, road sections and ruins, but if I do build a board, I'll probably go for a modular board of 1 x 1 sections with corridors, hallways etc, a 3D Space Hulk approach.

Hulksmash
19-10-2008, 22:03
I like the Ice Terrain from war-zone, though i wish they'd do a chaos waste type, black w/grey highlights or something

Norsehawk
19-10-2008, 22:06
I might have bought it at $175, I would consider it at $200, but at $290 shipped, no way I would ever pay that much for 6 pieces of plastic. I would rather hit up Lowes for blue foam and MDF, have the mdf cut into 2x2 shapes and then sculpt some hills/rivers with the blue foam. I could even do some buildings and ruins modularrly with Hirstarts bricks. I could make several tables worth of terrain and I seriously doubt I would break 100 bucks. (since I already have the hirst molds and plaster)

Templar Ben
20-10-2008, 23:32
What is the advantage of the GW table?

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 00:11
I just went to bunnings and had him cut up an old packing sheet of MDF(one of the pieces they put on the top of their shipments to stop the real stuff from getting damaged, it was almost perfectly 8" by 4") so now I have 8 2"x2" and it only cost $4 for the wood, plus $2 for him to cut it 4 times.

I also have a mixture of buildings made from foamcore (that my brother made) as well as some mdf gothic ruins I bought in a kit, as well as one GW tree pack (the crappy ones that look like palm trees) and one pack of GW city accessorys (the barrles ect), and one Citys of death building (hey it looks freaking awsome), plus some rocks we made out of the left over foam from my carry case, and little terrain bits they include in the packs.

Its really a mish mash of things at the moment, but Im aiming for a full, proper citys off death table (building blocks of 4 to 6 buildings with 6" roads)

Im happy to buy my terrain as it looks way better than anything I could ever be assed making (the biggest project Im going to start terrain wise is a proper space hulk tunnel system using PVC pipes, grating and bits and bobs, but thats gonna take me forever, cause I want to do it right). I buy bits and pieces every now and then but nothing major.

malisteen
21-10-2008, 00:22
Honestly? It looks pretty cool, it works well with/is scaled for GW games, the skull sections are a nice warhammer-y touch, the hills are mostly flat tiers (far easier to move models around then sloped hills or cloth piled over books), and you don't have to model any of it, just paint.

I'm a fairly lazy dude, and would happily pay $175 for the product. I'd willingly pay $200 for it. Heck, I'd grudgingly pay $225 for it. But $275 is just out of my range for this product. Let alone the $290 I'm hearing lately - honestly, how many times are they going to raise the price on this? It'll probably be $350 by the time it hits stores....

Anyway, It's just too much. Especially considering the grass mat GW sold me only a few months back that won't even lay over it evenly.

Nah, I'll get some 2x2 sections of plywood, texture them somehow (wall paper?), and paint them grey for 40k cityfight / lunar battles. For fantasy games I'll just lay my GW grass mat right overtop of them. add some modular terrain and I'll be good to go. Admitedly, it won't look quite as nice as the new GW kit, especially for fantasy games. That said, the GW table has a bit too many hills for the 'roads & buildings' approach to 40k terrain that I usually prefer, anyway.

Anyway, if I had unlimited expendible income, I'd spring for the new GW kit. As it is, it's a good $75 dollars past what I'd even consider for it.

Dangersaurus
21-10-2008, 01:28
What is the advantage of the GW table?

Well, if you already have a large table* to set it on but lack basic hobby skills** and have money to burn, it's perfect for you.

Also, it will make an awesome gift. PM me if you want details on where to send.

* Yes, the awesome gaming table setup is "table not included."

** And, yeah, the pre-made easy to use "table" will require some assembly, removal of mold lines, priming, painting, flocking and occasional touch-ups, so you may want to set aside money to commission these things if you're looking for a simple no-muss no-fuss "table."

FashaTheDog
21-10-2008, 05:34
Plaster cloth is the best thing to make a simple and realistic table. When combined with pigments and flock you can actually make better tables than the GW one for far less. In case you need more convincing, it is extremely simple to do so and if you want to get more elaborate later, you can actually cut sections out and add new ones in with. The final product can be fairly flat for use with regular modular terrain or have the terrain built in, the only question is how much time and effort do you want to put in.

Templar Ben
22-10-2008, 03:43
That is how I built tables for model railroading. You just build a frame with newspaper and strips of cardboard and lay the plaster cloth over it.

It is actually easier and faster than carving foam in my experience.

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 04:01
For $175 it might have been a purchase for me, for $290 Imma build my Warriors of Chaos army, get a green mat, and use all the styrofoam from my computer junk instead.

FashaTheDog
22-10-2008, 04:56
I'm confused. I just got the new White Dwarf which lists the price (after Message from Marienburg correction) at $200 not the $290 on the website. Additionally I do not see on the web site the crater station ($284), final watch ($300), forsaken ruins ($395), last outpost ($400), or total war ($437) listed, all of which are in the gift catalog that was included. Is the website behind or did GW decide after shipping the issue not to run these?

Also I see no mention of spending $360 and getting a free cardboard box.

lordbeefy
22-10-2008, 13:13
My board is 2 3x2 plyboard sections with inch by inch battens for strength, hinged so that it fold out for 6x2 playing area....any bigger than this is daft.

It has been painted with the fleck spray cans you get in B&Q for a fiver each....took three cans to do the lot....giving a nice urban battlefield finish. Grand total cost was about 40quid.

In the current climate I dont know how anyone can justify 150 quid on a board that doesnt even seem to give a flat playing area....my buildings are all mounted on 16"x16" MDF pieces, so the GW board wouldnt even let me throw down my buildings because of the cliff sections.

My opinion......the GW buildings are lovely, the modular hills are lovely, the vacformed craters are perfect....but the board is just too excessive for such a nicheproduct, sorry.

TheMav80
22-10-2008, 13:39
I will probably buy it but if I do it will be split between me and at least one other friend. We did the same thing when the large boxes of terrain came out not too long ago and didn't regret that either.

I don't know if any of it will ever get painted. We have a hard enough time keeping up with just our armies, let alone painting and building large boxes of terrain.

(glances over at his 6 remaining boxes of Ork Boys)

Spacker
22-10-2008, 17:02
I'm confused. I just got the new White Dwarf which lists the price (after Message from Marienburg correction) at $200 not the $290 on the website. Additionally I do not see on the web site the crater station ($284), final watch ($300), forsaken ruins ($395), last outpost ($400), or total war ($437) listed, all of which are in the gift catalog that was included. Is the website behind or did GW decide after shipping the issue not to run these?

Also I see no mention of spending $360 and getting a free cardboard box.

There was an announcement on the GW home page last week - the prices in WD and the little catalogue were wrong.

As to the bundled sets, I can only assume that those will be coming later, maybe GW are waiting to see how the board sells on it's own first.

The Clairvoyant
22-10-2008, 17:38
I'll likely be buying one.
As a travelling gamer, i think its great to have a board i can take with me to my friends' houses to game on. The downside being its only 6x4 at the mo so a couple of extra sections later will be great.
None of my friends have tables suitable for gaming on. Usually we play on their living room floor or in a spare room. At my house, its the cellar, but an 8x4 fixed table in any of our houses would take up far too much room. Yes we could make boards but they still need to be secure with a large overlap. A foamboard is likely to get knocked off. A hard plastic one secured to the other sections sounds just the thing we need.

Oh and in response to someone else here, i'm obviously not 'veteran' enough as i don't have a dedicated table. :P

Though we've moved on from the old paint-pot corners on the floor to using masking tape which doesn't get moved and is easy to remove.

Templar Ben
22-10-2008, 17:38
I have not seen the photos. Does it look like a prototype or something that they have already produced a mold for?

I am referring to the additional sets.

Tooooon
22-10-2008, 17:51
Any UK equivilants?

FashaTheDog
22-10-2008, 21:33
The additional sets are bundles of terrain and the board. If you know someone with the new White Dwarf they were in the gift catalog that came with it.

Luthor
22-10-2008, 21:38
BAWHAHAHAHA!

Oh your serious, I am surprised that people actually buy Games-Workshops's "Advertising" Magazine.

FashaTheDog
22-10-2008, 21:53
I've gotten enough use out of them over the years that continuing to buy them has been worth it overall for me and my friends who all read them.

Templar Ben
22-10-2008, 22:20
So they have a tabletop plus trees or a table top plus craters and those sets are listed as a little bundle deal?

FashaTheDog
22-10-2008, 22:29
They also come with building kits as well with the number of buildings between the large 40K set being a pair of sectors in the big one and a pair of buildings in the smaller one.

Princess needs a break from this thread for a few posts, brb!

Templar Ben
23-10-2008, 01:49
Anyone have photos of those offerings?

Spacker
23-10-2008, 08:41
You can see one here:

http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Spack143/IMG_0618.thumb.jpg (http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack143/IMG_0618)

The "Total War" set, listed at 234 (so now 284 or probably more) is the game board, plus 2 Imperial Sector boxes, a Moonscape, and 2 sets of Urban Barricades and Walls. There are also other bundles with various Fantasy and 40k terrain pieces, I can take pics of them when I get my camera back tomorrow night.

The prices of the bundles in the catalogue were full RRP for the sum of the individual items, so there was no saving on buying them together.

Jedi152
23-10-2008, 09:07
Mat-o-War (http://www.barrule.com/Workshop/gaming%20mats/gaming%20mats%20for%20wargamers.html) mats look nice. Just add a few hills and you're away!

Templar Ben
25-10-2008, 14:06
You can see one here:

http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Spack143/IMG_0618.thumb.jpg (http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery/Spack143/IMG_0618)

The "Total War" set, listed at 234 (so now 284 or probably more) is the game board, plus 2 Imperial Sector boxes, a Moonscape, and 2 sets of Urban Barricades and Walls. There are also other bundles with various Fantasy and 40k terrain pieces, I can take pics of them when I get my camera back tomorrow night.

The prices of the bundles in the catalogue were full RRP for the sum of the individual items, so there was no saving on buying them together.

Reading the blurb at the beginning I don't think it was so much a bundle as a suggested package. It is curious that they don't have it on the website. They could put the photo of each of them and then in the "add to cart" section all the pieces are listed separately.