PDA

View Full Version : lances and charge in combat

Gen.Ruckus
18-10-2008, 00:27
I was wondering when a unit of bretonian knights charge, the lances are used and if they go another round, are they dropped and a hand weapon and shield is used? So the unit fights with a hand weapon and shield after the first turn of combat.

theunwantedbeing
18-10-2008, 00:51
Makes no difference as there is no bonus for using the hand weapon over the lance.

However they do not switch to a hand weapon after the first round when charging, only character's with magic weapons get to switch from a (mundane)lance to a magical weapon.

Your not allowed to switch weapons, you use the same one for the entire combat.
The only exception is the above scenario where a character has a mundane lance and a magic weapon(that isnt a magic lance).

Gen.Ruckus
18-10-2008, 02:11
So....they srill get the bonus for the save of the shield with the lance?

theunwantedbeing
18-10-2008, 02:22
A lance is 1 handed, so yes, they get to use their sheild while using a lance.

BEEGfrog
18-10-2008, 02:24
They are mounted, the don't get the Shield&HW bonus, it only applies to models on foot.

Unless a Bretonnian special rule applies, I thought the rule about always having to use a magic over a mundane weapon would apply and the character would have to use the magic weapon even if it was worse than a Lance.

Gen.Ruckus
18-10-2008, 04:03
I wasent talking about characters, I was refering to the knights used in the core/special and rare choices

Condottiere
18-10-2008, 06:37
Do the Bretonnians actually drop the lance? If so, do they still have a +2S bonus for their next charge?

Hulkster
18-10-2008, 08:20
they do not drop the lance

they use them all the time they just no longer get the +2 strength bonus

and they can use a shield so with heavy armour, a shield and barding they will be a 2+

they have the same armour save all the time, only enemy weapons modify it

Kalec
19-10-2008, 17:53
A bret character with a mundane lance and a magic something else will use the lance on the charge and the something else in every phase of combat after the charge. A bret character with a magic lance will always use the magic lance.

Nighthawke
19-10-2008, 17:58
may i ask where i can see the rulei cant find it in the book
ty

Atrahasis
19-10-2008, 18:32
At the top of the magic items section (right at the top, just under the title).

Nighthawke
19-10-2008, 19:04
ty
so does this mean if my character has the birthsword i cant use it and its effect till the secound round of combat?

Griefbringer
19-10-2008, 20:20
AFAIK you are not forced to buy a lance for your character if you do not want to.

DV8
21-10-2008, 00:00
AFAIK, having a magic weapon (of any type) supercedes having any other mundane weapon, and your character would be forced to use it unless it was destroyed or otherwise removed (say a spell saying you can't use said item for however long).

Also, you're locked into whatever weapon combination you entered combat with, unless again, said weapon is destroyed.

So for example, your Knights enter combat using lances and shields. The +2 strength bonus only applies when charging, so after the first round of combat, you're still using lances and shields, just without the strength bonus.

Similarly, you have a Paladin/Lord with lance, shield and a magical weapon. He charges in, he must use the magical weapon (and shield, if the weapon isn't two-handed), until that weapon is destroyed or otherwise removed, at which point he's allowed to use the lance.

DV8

kramplarv
21-10-2008, 00:33
not brettonnia. they have a special rule stating that they may use a lance in the first round of combat even if they have magic weapons. :)

but they may still choose to use the magic weapon instead of the lance.

Kalec
21-10-2008, 00:35
Similarly, you have a Paladin/Lord with lance, shield and a magical weapon. He charges in, he must use the magical weapon (and shield, if the weapon isn't two-handed), until that weapon is destroyed or otherwise removed, at which point he's allowed to use the lance.
DV8

The Bret armybook says that a model with a mundane lance and a magical sword can charge with the lance and use the sword in all following rounds of combat. As far as rules questions go, this is pretty cut-and-dry.

DV8
21-10-2008, 04:05
I stand (or sit, at this point in time) corrected. Not that familiar with the rules of armies I don't play, I suppose.

DV8

Lordmonkey
21-10-2008, 12:15
So in vampire counts, for example, the dreadlance is used during every round of combat - the vampire does not have the choice to change weapons once he has decided to use the lance.

theunwantedbeing
21-10-2008, 12:21
There are no rules on how to resolve suddenly being "forced" to use a weapon you cannot use. ie, your magic weapon get's destroyed while you are fighting a combat that has lasted multiple rounds.

You'de be allowed to change to a different combination, or at least be stuck with a hand weapon instead.

Griefbringer
22-10-2008, 09:34
So in vampire counts, for example, the dreadlance is used during every round of combat - the vampire does not have the choice to change weapons once he has decided to use the lance.

Since the Dreadlance is a magic weapon, he does not get the choice in the first place to choose whether to use it or not.