PDA

View Full Version : Hellhound kit question

jason_sation
18-10-2008, 04:19
Hi,

I just got my first hellhound and was looking over the instruction. The only thing I've built with the Chimera chasis so far is the Basilisk. I've also built two Leman Russes. Anyways, in the directions, they show a choice of two hull mounted weapons. One I believe is the Bolter (same as the Basilisk). The other I'm not sure of. I think it may be the Heavy Flamer option for the Chimera? Not sure why it's in the instructions, when it's not something the unit can take, unless I'm missing something here.

Also, there is what appears to be a choice of hatches for the turret. The first is a regular plastic one that is similar to the Basilisk's, and Leman Russes hatch. The second is metal and looks totally different. Is there something game/rules related to this hatch? Is it an extra armor upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated.

starlight
18-10-2008, 04:31
Likely because it's on the sprue and GW defaults to copy-paste for many of it's similar builds.:)

No differences that I'm aware of, I think it's just part of the *Hellhound* turret armour, but doesn't actually do anything *in game*.

blackroyal
18-10-2008, 04:36
Also, there is what appears to be a choice of hatches for the turret. The first is a regular plastic one that is similar to the Basilisk's, and Leman Russes hatch. The second is metal and looks totally different. Is there something game/rules related to this hatch? Is it an extra armor upgrade?

Any help would be appreciated.

I think that the hatch is something like a viewfinder. That's how I plan to paint mine anyway. It just helps the crew to stay buttoned up and out of danger.

Chem-Dog
18-10-2008, 04:41
Yeah, it's a heavy flamer, like Starlight says, it's a copy paste issue, just dump the thing in your bits box ;)

The turret hatch is a simple case of the Hellhound having a specific hatch which usually replaces the regular Chimera one, it's one that doesn't open and that has a scope built into it (because sticking your head out of a flame tank is a good way to get all of your skin and hair burned off!!) But it's not REALLY essential (I think it looks better though).

jason_sation
18-10-2008, 05:39
Ok, thanks guys. Now that I look at it, is there anything missing from the Chimera kit when you buy a Hellhound? Could I design this thing to be a Hellhound, and then pop off the tanks, pop in the side lasguns, and change the turret around, and presto, I now have a Chimera? Hmmm...

starlight
18-10-2008, 06:17
Magnets will be your friend. :D

Conspyre
18-10-2008, 09:21
Those directions resulted in my first Hellhound being a little screwy... "What's more fun than a tank with one giant flamethrower? TWO GIANT FLAMETHROWERS!" Imagine my surprise when I went to write up my army list and realized that Chimeras can get the hull-mounted heavy flamer, but Hellhounds can't. Further proof that one should always build with Codex in hand.

Griefbringer
18-10-2008, 10:18
AFAIK when the Hellhound kit was first released (2nd edition days) it could actually replace the heavy bolter with a heavy flamer.

Xenobane
18-10-2008, 13:15
Ok, thanks guys. Now that I look at it, is there anything missing from the Chimera kit when you buy a Hellhound? Could I design this thing to be a Hellhound, and then pop off the tanks, pop in the side lasguns, and change the turret around, and presto, I now have a Chimera? Hmmm...

You certainly can. I wouldn't even bother with the side lasguns, personally - it would be too much effort and the aesthetic effect isn't exactly crucial. Slide strips of plasticard or something behind where the tanks go, with small magnets lining up with the holes. Then put magnets on the connecting bits of the tanks. It is possible to build an interchangable turret too, by keeping the top Hellhound part separate from the base part that works for both Hellhound and Chimera.