PDA

View Full Version : Fast cavalry movement

Anton
18-10-2008, 19:01
I have a question about the movement of fast cavalry. According to the rules, they may make free reforms during its movement, except when charging. However, no model may move more than its total.

How exactly does one measure this? Take example 70.1 in the BRB. It looks something like this:

.........................B)....F...
................................F...
..........EEEEEEE...........F...
..........A)...FFF................
................FFF................

A is the initial position of the fast cavalry, B is the final position. E is the enemy unit.

No model may move more than its total distance. Does that mean that you draw a straight line between the models initial position and its final position? Or do you measure the distance moved while reforming separately from the distance moved by normal movement?

Atrahasis
18-10-2008, 19:17
Measure from initial to final position, going 1" around enemy troops and around terrain etc.

Braad
19-10-2008, 00:02
The model that moves the longest distance, is the model that limits the movement. In this case, my guess would be that this is the red-marked model in the diagram below.

.........................B)....F...
..........A)...FFF................
................FFF................

I think you measure a line from the intial position to the final position, taking into account anything like impassable terrain and other stuff you can't move straight through.
Otherwise you're just going to create difficult situations.

Also, as far as I know, the BRB doesn't actually describe how the models move during reform, they just go from position 1 to position 2.

ReaperOfSouls
19-10-2008, 11:15
I believe braad is right. at least that is how I've always been playing it.

theunwantedbeing
19-10-2008, 11:24
They effectively move as Braad pointed out.
They do actually move normally reforming, wheeling and so forth, it's just that they dont suffer a penalty for reforming so they can still keep moving, which gives them an almost unlimited movement so long as no model ends out further away than double its movement rate from where it started.

However as there is no snaking you cannot say... go around a 90 degree corner if it would require that the unit move into an illegal formation.

ie.
TTTTTTTTT
T..............
T..TTTTTTT
T..T
T..T

FFF
FFF

The Fast cavalry unit (F) cannot move through the terrain(T) along the .... legally as it would require them to go into a formation like this:

FFF
F
F
F

Which is something you arent allowed to do.

In general they go wherever they want, with a few obscure things they cant do.

Anton
19-10-2008, 19:06
Thanks all. Simple enough. :)

Fast cavalry is great! :D