PDA

View Full Version : GWs Sable brushes

ratatosk
16-11-2005, 12:49
Has anyone bought this set? I mean for a mere 75 you too can own a wooden box, a small piece of copper tubing... aka a bolter shell and 7 of the finest sable brushes.. the lucky owner of which will make you into a GD winner !!!

Seriously though a GW manager was talking about this with me and stated he realised that he was in real trouble when every single one of his staff declined to buy a set because it was too crappy at 1/2 price..

Really makes you want to rush out and buy a set eh?

NetGuru
16-11-2005, 12:59
Well considering the brushes are only Windsor and Newton series 7 brushes (which you can buy for about 6 each) it seems a terrible deal.

TheSaint
16-11-2005, 13:37
The Bolter shell is tubing ??? :( Owwwwwwwh, the LIES!!!! For 75 pounds I can buy a sable farm and pluck them every day....

Verm1s
16-11-2005, 13:47
Welcome to a month ago.

While they're not worth the price, and I wouldn't buy them unless a long-lost uncle left me a diamond mine, I think some of the other complaints are unjustified.
I've seen the blurb for them, and GW doesn't claim that they'll turn you into a GD winner. They claim that if you're already a good painter (presumably with ordinary GW brushes), then a set of better quality brushes may help boost your efforts to GD standard, through ease of use.
And who's to say the brushes aren't good quality? They're kolinsky sable, after all. They can't be that bad. And let's face it: who, being someone with some amount of experience and skill in mini-painting, has bought them to determine that they're no good?
And what's wrong with brush soap?

And, I don't know if you've realised this, but not every W&N series 7 brush is the same price. Increasing size = increasing price.

EDIT: TheSaint: No. You couldn't.

TheSaint
16-11-2005, 14:11
Have you ever bought a sable farm? How would you know then?? I mean what use is a sable apart from using them to make brushes? Seems like a strange lifestyle BTW, purpose of living only to satisfy strange artists and gamers (wtf)

Anvils Hammer
16-11-2005, 15:37
it is a bit of a rip off, but i can see why some people wouild buy it, the brushes bought straight from W and N would cost about half that price, but you do get the other things, i rather like the box.

Verm1s
16-11-2005, 16:48
Have you ever bought a sable farm? How would you know then??
I guess I know as much as you about it. ;) But I know that 75 won't get you much land. And thanks to the magic of the internet I know a little more - such as wild sable is better for brushes than farmed sable (no 'spring'), and Kolinsky sables aren't farmed at all.

Seems like a strange lifestyle BTW, purpose of living only to satisfy strange artists and gamers (wtf)
Strange artists? Try most artists. Best-quality brush in the world, is yer Kolinsky sable.

Briareos
16-11-2005, 16:57
I would say that anyone serious about miniature painting has stopped buying standard GW brushes a long time. I certainly have, amongst other things because I thought the quality left a lot to be desired.
I now buy what I need from a nice Art supply store downtown and never looked back.
I'll take GW's supplies way more seriously when they'll stop charging twice more then the competition for similar products.

Beh...

Spacemunkie
16-11-2005, 21:15
The main point about that box is that an almost identical (and it is, minus the piece of brass and a crest on the lid) W&N one is about half the price. And it has more expensive (larger) brushes in it.

Anyway, you can get good quality KS brushes for less than 3 a pop. Nadgers to both of 'em I say!

Griefbringer
16-11-2005, 21:33
Well, it is not a real secret that the modelling products (brushes, paint, tools, glue) are not actual GW designs, but just products from other companies with GW tag on them and a higher price tag. That is why I recommend people to usually look for other manufacturers for those to get more value for their money.

Cresistauead
17-11-2005, 18:59
This product has gotten my interest.. Where have people gotten the word that the brushes are W&N series 7? I don't think they would have changed the appearance of the bush just to make a set for GW. Heck, I wasn't even aware W&N made flat sable brushes for series 7. The price for that one would be insane! I'd wager around 50 bucks, though I cannot say for sure. Even if the flat drybrushes were just W&N 5502 mongoose brushes and the rest were W&N 7 (say, 00, 1 and 2), the listed price tag for them is so high you'd be only paying 6 quids for a wooden case and the brush soap. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is *too good* deal to come from our beloved GW. :eek:

But buy few of the W&N7n-brushes and some bush soap. They are well worth it if you paint single minis. Last for ages they do, so it's not *that* expensive to get them. But sure, not much point in painting a plastic army with them. But even for that, I'd recommend just the brush soap.

But sable drybrushes :wtf:? And who in their right mind would buy five expensive brushes in one go? This is just too weird. Does anybody have a link to a really high-brow-in-the-know discussion of the subject.

TheSaint
17-11-2005, 20:30
@ Verm1s

I went to the crafts store to buy some of these brushes and as you are so interested in them I heard some new facts:

- the sables are indeed hunted (don't hit the tail though ;))
- the hairs are then sorted out by women (because they are better at that sort of thing, nimble fingers and such is what I hear)
- the best hairs are obviously more expensive, so expensive even that they are worth more than their weight in gold.
- Brush hair comes solely from MALE sables
- Kolinsky sables are Russian (have to brush up my Russian then, pun intended)
- In the winter their furs are worth more than in the summer since they have a thicker fur
- Indeed I couldn't buy a farm, but hearing they are worth their weight in gold, I was thinking about lending some from the zoo this winter and return them in the summer, naked :eyebrows:

Cresistauead
17-11-2005, 20:37
And for the very best brushes they pick different kind of hair for the core of the brush to hold more paint and use slightly stiffer hair around it. The point is made from slightly bent hairs that are arranged so that they all bend towards the tip. These types of hair come from the kolinsky's tail.

The cheaper kolinsky brushes you can buy from your average crafts stores are infact made from the kolinsky's arsehair. :D

Spacemunkie
17-11-2005, 21:49
http://www.artsupplies.co.uk/images/products/brushes/w&n_wc/premium_brsh_set.jpg

As I said, almost identical.

Cresistauead
17-11-2005, 22:25
From what I can see, Mr. Spacemunkie, I have been pointed to a wrong shop.
http://www.dickblick.com/zz058/87/

I was comparing to those "list prices"... Hmmm. Now, that link of yours is more in the vein with GW's pricing policy. A mystery solved, kind of.

But thank you for that link, I'll be using it in the future.

Griefbringer
18-11-2005, 09:36
The cheaper kolinsky brushes you can buy from your average crafts stores are infact made from the kolinsky's arsehair. :D

Great news for everyone who likes to lick their brush to sharpen it.

BTW. how does brush soap differ from ordinary soap?

Cresistauead
18-11-2005, 11:42
It's kind of shampoo-and-conditioner.