PDA

View Full Version : help make my orks different

SirSnipes
18-10-2008, 22:33
i want to collect orks, because i love them and they suite me, iwant to make them very different looking than anyone elses ork army, due to a slew of ork players thanks to black reach, anyways any ideas? i was thinking a army of flying vehicles and ork hangliders, and such

HsojVvad
18-10-2008, 22:52
Why not paint them yellow or blue? Why does it have to be green? I was thinking of making them different colours besides green.

bosstroll
18-10-2008, 22:58
Hello Kitty Orks ? :P

Strix
18-10-2008, 23:06
i was thinking a army of flying vehicles and ork hangliders, and such
Ok, go and watch apocalypse now. Now do that, with orks.

Loads of deffcopters, battle wagons and trukks with rotor blades carrying a crapload of boyz. Make the whole thing a blood axe version of D99 (that Elysian Regiment). Add a few stormboyz and its just about done. :D

Failing that, why not do one of the ever popular "deffwing" armies, using just mega armoured nobs and deathwing rules?

SirSnipes
19-10-2008, 00:37
well i was really hoping for anything NOONE has done, so deffwing is out, but i like the apocalypse now idea, ok lets begin

hang glider boyz as? stormboyz?
hoverboard boyz as bikers?
helikopters as trukks?
and gunships as battlewagons?
what else could we do

Jester Boy
19-10-2008, 00:38
Eorks from the planet Endork!

skott4991
19-10-2008, 00:46
hang glider boyz as? stormboyz?
hoverboard boyz as bikers?
helikopters as trukks?
and gunships as battlewagons?
what else could we do

Sounds like a good idea, go for it.

Oh and pics are a must.:p

Strix
19-10-2008, 00:48
Well, the whole point of the airborne cav in apocalypse now is that their trops deploying from fast vehicles, so I'd be tempted to say:

1: Deffcopter squadrons out of the ****.

2: at least 3 squads of boyz in trukks with propellars and so on. These are your light troop transports.

3: Battlewagons as heavy support gunships, think like that heavily modified chinook the US tried to use in Vietnam or someplace.

4: Drop the handgliders idea for orks. Replace it with grotz (look at it like this, an ork is more likely to go on something loud and rickety than a sheet of canvas). Use the doom diver models. :D

5: Stormboyz and that special character, thingumy whatizface with the bionic legs.

6: What about some sort of looted enemy tank as a basis for one of the trukks, something with an anti grav motor like a devilfish?

blackroyal
19-10-2008, 00:51
Make them Purple. While you are at it, make them eat people. The Purple People eating orks.

Max Jet
19-10-2008, 21:47
Well I would just paint them black and with grueling shocking colors. Black Orcs actually exist in fantasy fluff, but so far no one has ever done a black Orc army in 40k. Make the teeth metallic or better dark grey and the eyes deep red, that looks pretty intimidating.

Another possibility would be to field feral Orcs. I know they once had a list and have been done quite a couple of times, but so fare I have not seen an army in flesh of them, that means they are not that common... And they can be done so easily! Just mix them with fantasy Orc parts and go nuts with Squigotts or gargantuan squigotts. Place a whole herd on the table, how cool would that be?

Hm... then another possibility would be to field something like a mad max Highway band. Lot's of vehicles. Looted vehicles or Battle Wagons, Buggies and Bikes and then endless amounts of trukks.. Just imagine a column of Orcs driving on the freeway motorized with such cool toys!

You can also field an elitist Orc army. Oversize the models, requires work, but could be pretty awesome! Oversize them, just like you would do with true scale marines. Just field a gang of extremely large and extremely powerfull tooled out individuals. Mega armoured Nobs and lots of killa kans. Just field the most powerful units in the codex and enlarge them.

Or you can make a badass army. Paint them red with lots of dark and black washes but paint enough red on the higher parts, so that it really glows. Than give them more close combat weapons. Take away the orky axes and buzz-saws. Give them large and frightening looking swords with runes on them. Something like an Orc cult, true masters of death, breed only to slay their oponents in Close Combat. Let them carry Lances with Skulls on them. Symbiont skulls, Human skulls.. NO HELMETS! Just skulls!

Archangel_Ruined
19-10-2008, 21:56
Savage orks with squigs for bikes and pulling chariot trukks. I've heard lots of people musing over such an army but I haven't seen one, and it'd look the mutts nuts done even half well. But that's just me. I'm going to do an ork army some day, speed freakish style but painted in the Gulf Racing colours with converted techy looking vehicles. If you steal the idea I may have to find you and break your fingers. That and steal your models if it turns out to be a good idea...

Ah, the savage squiggy idea has been voiced above also, consider it a good omen...

Bregalad
19-10-2008, 22:06
If you want an army idea that noone has ever had, don't ask us for ideas :rolleyes:

I would be glad to have a good and consistent looking army, even if someone on the other side of the globe has done something similar. Like Rednekks, Bavarians, Death Orks of Krieg, Simpson Orks, ...

SirSnipes
19-10-2008, 22:19
ok ive decded to make my ork airborne company, EVERYTHING must be airborn, im gonna have

tank bustas=?
meganobz= in a helikopta
Lootas= in a helikopta
burnas= in a helikopta
kommandos= have gliders
boyz= helikopta
trukks= helikopta
dephkopters stay same
buggies/skorcha, becoma small planes
bikes =hoverboards and jetbikes
looted wagons=various skimmers
battlewagons=large gunships
artillery pieces = gliders with a gun on it
grots=????? riding umbrellas :)

FashaTheDog
19-10-2008, 22:22
Are we talking list-wise, paint scheme, conversion, theme? If it does not matter, I say Hello Kitty (you know sparkles on a pink Ork has never been done before) or Power Ranger (or Prism Ranger if you want to be slightly esoteric about it) Orks. You could also paint them only using neon and day-glo colors and add blacklight paint and flickering LEDs (blacklight ones to make the paint appear and disappear) to the vehicles and mega-armor. Another idea is to make them Eldar or Tau wannabes. Or go with an 80s theme where each mob is dressed like an 80s group. Just think, a mob dressed like this: http://meltaylor.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/image.jpg and another like this: http://www.splotchy.com/images/blog/kiss.jpg and then you can use the Goff Rockers and have Slash (http://cfs8.tistory.com/image/22/tistory/2008/08/19/22/40/48aacd4d58c62) as your Nob!

orks2134
19-10-2008, 22:36
i want to collect orks, because i love them and they suite me, iwant to make them very different looking than anyone elses ork army, due to a slew of ork players thanks to black reach, anyways any ideas? i was thinking a army of flying vehicles and ork hangliders, and such

Why not Feral Orks?

Hangliders are stormboyz - there are Dogs of War e.g. http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/dogsofwar/catalog/birdmen.htm or Goblin Doom Diver.
Flyers are Deffkoptas (maybe Lizardmen Terradons?)
Use Boars from the O&G General kit as Bikers. Or Cold Ones? New plastics are cheap enough.
Plastic Stegadon coming soon - makes a good trukk
Battlewagon would be Forgeworld small Squiggoth. Mine is!
SpearChukka for Kannon
Stone Throwas for Lobbas.
And other stuff.

Also look at Epic range, Feral Orks for ideas.

Axis
19-10-2008, 23:38
The best way to make them unique is to actually finish painting them all. Maybe it is just the people around my area who never finish painting anything.

Really though, the quest for total orgininality is pretty pointless and getting other people to tell you something that is totally original will probably not result in the desired outcome.

FashaTheDog
19-10-2008, 23:43
The best way to make them unique is to actually finish painting them all. Maybe it is just the people around my area who never finish painting anything.

A fully painted Ork horde is a rare sight indeed. :D:D:D It makes you go :eek:!

jack21290
20-10-2008, 00:27
just go with a simple diferent colur scheme, or failing that go conversion heavy on the byz.

the1stpip
20-10-2008, 00:36
A proper 2nd ed Stormboyz Army.

Would need some work to give them jackets (a la Nazi SS), give them lightning flashes (I can imagine you would upset people if you stuck swastikas on), have them drive half track Hanomags (traks at the back, wheels at the front) for trukks.

And of course, In Apoc, You'd have Stuka Fighta Bommers.

devik
20-10-2008, 00:39
Ork Gurlz.

Long hair and lipstick, maybe some skirts.

I still want to do a squad of "gurlz" for my force. Explain it like they came out of their pods on a world held by Sisters of Battle, and just started to emulate them or something. Hell, they're Orks. I can do whatever I want. :D

sukigod
20-10-2008, 01:23
Pink? Why not, that's different.

drigler
20-10-2008, 02:11
Gangsta orks.
With bling and grillz.
oh, and make the warboss a pimp.

yeah.

PS: Powa clawz = Brass knuckles.

$&@# yeah.

Col. Tartleton
20-10-2008, 02:35
Way to steal my idea drigler...
That's just like my Wu Tang Klan Nob unit that I wanted to make.

Rizza
Jizza
O' Derty Bazterd
Masta Killa
Gost Fase Killa
Meffod Boy
Inspekta Dek
Rakwon
U-Gork
Kappadona

gab-skull trasher
20-10-2008, 02:58
Well i'm gonna use a Mumak of Harad as a Squiggoth (though i'm eventually gonna get a Squiggoth from FW) i just had to add some guns and make it ORKISH. :)

VanHel
20-10-2008, 03:21
How about some pirate themed orks?

Bregalad
20-10-2008, 11:16
ok ive decded to make my ork airborne company, EVERYTHING must be airborn, im gonna have ...
1.) Airborne does not mean strictly "still in the air", they may and should be on the ground.
2.) Please think it over again. Nobody likes to play against a hundred flyers "counting as" footsloggers. It's like playing IG Infantry, where the General is a Baneblade, the weapon teams are Basilisks and the normal Infantry squads are Leman Russes! There is a reason sometimes, that noone did this idea before! :rolleyes:

Curufew
20-10-2008, 11:28
Why not do a parody of the Imperial Guard? Orks with uniforms, squad markings and such. I'm sure the Bloodaxe clan learned a lot from the umies.

slade the slaughter
20-10-2008, 14:34
Google Barghesi. There are a few guys (boomer and uberkroot ) who use the ork codex for fully convertered xeno armies. Super cool if you ask me.

sukigod
20-10-2008, 15:03
Beverly Orkbillies? That trukk would make a pretty good hillbilly car. Overalls, straw hats and pitchforks and shovels for choppas. Shotguns for sluggas. The battlewagons engine could be a still fo some sort? Just tossong out ideas so I don't lose them (either).

Alessander
20-10-2008, 15:26
nekrons? - Stick WFB skelletons bitz on them that are painted boltgun metal. Battlewaggon could be a "looted" beat up/patched up monolith, "hovering" = suspended by chains from two dozen flying stormboyz (possbily upside down). deff dreds with multiple arms a la tomb spyders. kommandos wearing flayed skin on them as flayed ones, squigs or grots as "skarabz".

or...

make the entire army grots - Three grots standing on eachother's shoulders (on top of one another) for the bigger orks, or just put oversized (ork-sized) armor on the single grots so you can hardlys see the actual grots (just a nose and spindly arm sticking out).

elda' - what the orks would thing counts as "preddy'd up" vehicles, burnas as fire dragonz, kommandoz as skorpionz, looted falcons etc.

whiteman
20-10-2008, 20:21
i would get the new battlewagon set coming out pretty soon here if i was you

FashaTheDog
20-10-2008, 20:41
Rather than make the boyz helicopters, why not go with the truks, battlewagons, and looted wagons as helicopters, with lines hanging down, and convert the boyz to have repelling gear and wear fatigues to look like Catachans or Commandos (Orkichans or Orkmandos, whichever you prefer). Large attack 'copters can be Dreadnoughts and Kans, while the single seaters remain deffkopters. And you can make all your bikers into jetbikers (or rocket bikers and have them stradling missiles).

TheDarkDuke
20-10-2008, 22:33
Albino Orks.

Its just that simple lol.

Strix
20-10-2008, 23:43
Woah there big fella:

If you want an army idea that noone has ever had, don't ask us for ideas :rolleyes:
You tell him to, pretty much, think up his own idea

he does and:

2.) Please think it over again. Nobody likes to play against a hundred flyers "counting as" footsloggers. It's like playing IG Infantry, where the General is a Baneblade, the weapon teams are Basilisks and the normal Infantry squads are Leman Russes! There is a reason sometimes, that noone did this idea before!
You tell him its crap. So, do you have an alternative idea for him to try?

To the OP, I say go for it if you really want to do it.

TheDarkDuke
21-10-2008, 00:23
Well for a fast moving air strike/deploy paratrooper feel:

meganobs
lootas
burnas
boyz
nobs

Any unit you take be sure to take a Transport Helicopter aka Trukk. Meganobs are not a very good fluffy choice to pull this off though.

tankbustas

As above, or you could make Orcs riding bombs as if they were dropped from a bomber.

kommandos

I think you would be better off with these being paratroopers more then gliders... as gliders seem more like ninja then stealth recon, where at least paratrooper at night type thing would fit in better. With the LOS rules your better off with just landed poses.

trukks

Become transport helicopters.

deffkopters

Light recon helicopters.

buggies/skorcha

Really are not needed, and don't fit very well.

bikes

Not needed in an "air army" when you have deffkopters

looted wagons

Attack helicopters... think Black Hawk with these.

battlewagons

Large transport/gunship type helicopter or plane depending on how you equip it.

artillery pieces

Have no place or real use in this army or theme.

grots

Umm who wants grots in this army? lol.

Yamagon
22-10-2008, 11:04
Unda-grunda-orks,

where the orks have a underground themed army. Trucks can be "termorks" modeld as if they have come from under the ground, n dig back under each turn or something.

Wartrucks can be "Warmorites" basically just a larger version.

I think this kinda theme would require a a KOS themed list, with lots of tanks coming from underneath.

It would have a deep strike feel to it, and the opponent would have to keep reminding themselves that they are tanks and not drop pod type things.

El_Phen
22-10-2008, 12:49

I may have to hurt you :p

Norsehawk
22-10-2008, 13:18
Paint them in human skin tones and call them chaos mutants.

DanteRikki
22-10-2008, 18:00
Choas Ork's
Bright red

kikkoman
22-10-2008, 18:29
ok ive decded to make my ork airborne company, EVERYTHING must be airborn, im gonna have

howabout skimmers?

and to make them look different, have them be...

Orks who imitate Eldar
sort of like how Blood Axes are said to imitate the Imperium

a bunch of orks who got whooped by the swordwind and were so impressed with the brutality and kunning of their force,
the Warboss witnessed the Avatar take the battlefield itself, and saw Gork/Mork.

ex:

Warboss- imitates Avatar. Has gigantic Boss Horns, has Iron Gob, has a Big Red Power Klaw, carries a 'uge Choppa with built in skorcha.
His helmet is also lit on fire.

Warp'ead- Carries around 'Roons o' protekshun' and a staff with more Roons. attended by his "wargrots"

Skorpion Kommandos- Have slugga's strapped to their gobs, attempt to sneak in 'eavy armor

Waaaagh Bansheez imitators- Have loudspeaker's strapped to their gob. enlarged chest capacity in armor "it gives yer lungs more room tah waaagh wiff"

Reapa Rokkits- Tankbustas or Lootas that wear skull face masks and wear big boots.

Shinin' Stikkaz imitators: Biker boyz with lances. Wheels replaced with gigantic rocket engine

Grotdians: Grots with cone 'eads. They catch bullets and tug around the big guns. Attended by a Herder dressed as a Warlock

Warp Spidaz: some horrendously dangerous personal tellyporta, Stormboyz. Too bad they dont have shootas

Swoopin Stormhawks: stormboyz with flappy wings, too bad no guns again.

Mekboyz: he carries a looted D-Cannon, or projects a wide range holofield.

Da Battle Snake: VTOL battlewagon with rokkit engines, have Mek with KFF riding in it.

Deff Lord: dread with telescoping legs and gigantic fists

Da Harlekinz: Nobs in tights :D
Harlykin'z Kiss= power drill, power pistol with shoota inside of it.

Shurikken shoota= launches shards of somewhat star shaped flakk

and for their armor... You could try giving some pointier helmets. Decorated Gobs and fancy Horns add to customizability
Fins coming out of backpacks maybe for some of them.

Or use Fantasy Orks in chain armor (mesh)

You could easily play them like the Eldar too. Highly specialized mobs that work in coordination with one another, relying on speed and technique to overcome all odds. lead by an Avatar of War incarnate, aided by Mystics who enhance the rest of the army (Big Mek's and Warp 'eads)

Bregalad
22-10-2008, 20:55
Woah there big fella:
You tell him to, pretty much, think up his own idea
he does and:
You tell him its crap. So, do you have an alternative idea for him to try?
To the OP, I say go for it if you really want to do it.
1.) I was pointing at the logical flaw of "wanting an idea that noone ever had and then asking us for ideas", I was not suggesting that asking for ideas is a bad thing.
2.) Not every idea has to be good, this one has obvious game mechanic/opponent acceptance flaws, with all infantry represented by flyers and illustrated this with the example of an IG army with all platoons represented by different Baneblades. It is a theme as well, but it doesn't work either.
3.) My advice is to have a look at all those non-conventional armies (Reddnex, Gangsta, Bavarian, Simpsons, Death Orks of Krieg, see warseer blogs) and either copy something like that or get inspired by them. A gangsta army is still something special, even if someone 10000 miles away has made something similar. Depends on skill and fantasy, how far you can go and still have a good looking army (that doesn't bore everyone after the second game).

Souleater
23-10-2008, 00:06
I think Orks who have been bought into the Tau fold would be great.

Red and White clothing, Tau markings as tribal tattoos.

Depending on your modelling skills you could even do the weaponary and vehicles to be Tau like.

Or, Genestealer cult Orks! Warboss could be a Patriarch, nobs some form of weird Ork-Stealer Hybrid.

Coasty
23-10-2008, 00:15
Or, Genestealer cult Orks! Warboss could be a Patriarch, nobs some form of weird Ork-Stealer Hybrid.

Been done, by GW, believe it or not...

Souleater
23-10-2008, 09:33
Indeed, but it is very unlikely that the OP will see another such army in his locale :D

SirSnipes
24-10-2008, 20:51
aye and to bregal;ad i NJEVER said that i was going to have my infantry represented in as flyers, they would ride in

helicopter trukks
plane battlewagons
stormboys
jet boards
deth kopters
gliders
and ride missiles

TheRoadWarrior
24-10-2008, 22:33

*beguns to crack up*

Ranger S2H
24-10-2008, 22:48
for the airborne orks, u could make an ork airship (lots or props, not zeppelin) that carries 6 death koptas, like an airbone koptakarria
i like the idea of 6 koptas diving over the side of a huge floting platform, screaming whil firing all gunz.