PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to finish an army?

Lister of Smee
19-10-2008, 07:01
It takes about a year for me to assemble and paint an army to 2000pts.

How long does it take you?

Putty
19-10-2008, 07:07
if i only have 1 army to do, about 3 months.

neXus6
19-10-2008, 07:28
Infinite, I'm one of those people who easily get distracted, so I've got a dozen or more started armies and 0 finished.
:p

J.P. Biff
19-10-2008, 07:39
If I'm under a deadline, (paint or die competition, tourney etc.) one month. But on average... about two to three months.

DigbyWeapon
19-10-2008, 08:10
I voted infinite, because I get distracted.

Digby

Briohmar
19-10-2008, 08:13
`If I have a tournament that I'll be playing in then the deadline gets me moving, otherwise, I will work on an army for a while, then work on something else for a while, then come back to the first one.

Orcboy_Phil
19-10-2008, 08:26
I voted infinate because there was no "ohhh, shiney" option.

neXus6
19-10-2008, 08:27
Hahaha, yeah I think I'd certainly have voted for "ohhh, shiney" too.
:p

Gorbad Ironclaw
19-10-2008, 08:46
However long I have until the deadline. Really, the only way I get an army finished is because I need it for some event or another so the time it takes to finish it will be however long I have until then. I'll paint a bit while there is still plenty of time, and then getting increasingly busy as there is less and less time.

theunwantedbeing
19-10-2008, 08:49
Assuming I could be bothered to try and had the attention span and was sure about how I want the army to look, easy under a month to do a 2k army from start to finish.

Of course this never comes even close to happening and as such, it's looking like my army will never be finished :P

Leogun_91
19-10-2008, 08:54
An army is never finished there is always more things to add, in a 2000pts game it is good to have some extra options another 2000pts so you can play bigger games, maybe some panic markers that fits the army, there is always things to add so an army is never finished.

Eldramesha
19-10-2008, 08:58
It depends on how much time I have to finish and how much time I can devote over that period.

Aurellis
19-10-2008, 09:13
I easily get distracted and i go through phases of large batches of painting. I'd have to say between 6-12 months for a fully painted army but less than a week to assemble it all etc. All my '2000 point' armies get to just over 3000 anyway, I can't be without all those tasty options :p

EmperorNorton
19-10-2008, 09:14
Infinite, really, but I voted 6-12 months, because the Tale of Fantasy Painters has given me hope.

Braad
19-10-2008, 09:18
I voted infinite, because my army does not end with 2000 points. I do paint something like 1500 each year, but after over 4 years I'm still painting more and more orcs, goblins and snotlings.

If I would paint 2000 point armies, it would probably be the 13-19 months option.

Abduction
19-10-2008, 10:41
It takes a very long time for me, I don't really like painting so I tend to hold it up for months. My economy doesn't allow me to by a lot of minis either. So it will take me at least 3 years, probably more to finish my High Elves. My lizardmen took about a year and a half or som to get to 2000 pts, but they are not that well painted though.

Shamfrit
19-10-2008, 11:24
I'm 12 months into Skaven and I've painted...oooh, 7 models?!

Yeah, I'm going to get 750 finished and looking scrummy for June/July for the Doubles in Warhammer World, but, the first k should be done before the end of the year because I've got 1500 of Eldar to do and a very heavy Chaos army to convert!

orkz222
19-10-2008, 11:46

voted Infinite, I always got that "get new army" disease and buy more models than i can paint...

wahaha I'm liked 5 yrs into skaven and i painted like 10 models LOL, though i did undercoat them all :angel:

current finish army = 0

SilentTempest
19-10-2008, 12:00
My 100 Dark Eldar 40k models took me about 4 years from the day I started to the day I finished, mainly because whenever I finally get some time that I could work on the painting, it's just easier to sit down and play computer games or something, because I'm knackered. I've got a Wood Elf army I'm working on at the moment. Start at Xmas. Got 3 units of Dryads painted and not much else. Currently trying to assemble all the multipiece metals that I bought when I expanded from 1k to 2k, but that's been running a couple of months now due to the frustration of having to file, cut and Greenstuff to make them fit. I'd be lucky if I did 2 sessions of painting/modelling a month at the moment.

bork da basher
19-10-2008, 12:02
ive ben playing for 14 years and ive collected every army going, some several times over this time period and ive never ever painted more than 1000pts of any of them up at a time. i always get bored, distracted etc and cant seem to finish them. then i end up selling them on ebay to finance the next army that i'll never complete.

WARMONGER72
19-10-2008, 13:27
I,relitivly new to the game but have painted mintures before and have always found it very time consuming. I,m currently working on a dark elf army (in fact this is my first army as i,m learning the game now and not just painting.)
Istarted in april with morathi then added a dreddlord on a cold one and there the only ones complete which took me about three weeks for each one.
Now i,m about half way through my coursair,s (20 off) and my cold one knights which have so far taken me about 2 mths .

Ward.
19-10-2008, 13:47

4 years into it with the current skaven army and I haven't fully painted a single one (plenty of undercoatings and drybrushing though).

I voted infinite because I convert everything in my army, from teeth realigning to weapon swaps. I blame the first real GW vet I ever met, had a 8000pt 40k chaos army fully painted with every model heavily converted, was truly a thing of beauty.

Unfortunately this has led me to believe it will be many years before my brown horde truly is brown.

Weldo Rubin
19-10-2008, 15:46
I've been working on my Army (Orcs & Goblins 3.000) for years (about six to be precise) and I'm still working on my last squadron... but that's all right with me - the more time it takes to finish an Army the greater the pleasure of viewing the final result, I guess...

ahk3927
19-10-2008, 17:10
I started WHFB 5 years ago with O&G. Added Dwarves, Empire, OK, Lizards, and WoC since then. I have 6 Half Painted Army and don't have a clue if I would ever have a completly painted army at this pace. Who knows though? Next army book is a lizard after WoC, so I do have about 6 months before I would be tempted to start a Scaven army.

Karrig stern
19-10-2008, 18:14
Well i wanted to vote less than one week. as my last two armies together took me less than a week to paint (wood elves and empire) truth be told i actually painted the wood elves in an afternoon :D.

but surprisingly they look fantastic.

Aurellis
19-10-2008, 18:27
Well i wanted to vote less than one week. as my last two armies together took me less than a week to paint (wood elves and empire) truth be told i actually painted the wood elves in an afternoon :D.

but surprisingly they look fantastic.

We're going to have to rename you Superman or Sigmar or something because that's just godlike form :eek:

Blacula
19-10-2008, 18:39
mt guardsmen take 2 hours each and i have no time with school and mate dates

EmperorNorton
19-10-2008, 18:45
We're going to have to rename you Superman or Sigmar or something because that's just godlike form :eek:

Or maybe ask for proof of some kind.

Aurellis
19-10-2008, 19:10
Or maybe ask for proof of some kind.

Maybe his army amounts to a Treeman Acient and an Eagle :p

Shamfrit
19-10-2008, 19:26
It's called 'Dipping.'

Aurellis
19-10-2008, 19:40
I've tried dipping a few times, mainly on mostly armoured units and it's worked a treat. My Executioners and Cold one Chariots came out really well but it did still take a while to basecoat them even with batch painting. I just figured basecoating a whole army in the simple colours would take a while.

draco_chile
19-10-2008, 20:46
hahahaha my beastman army have 9 years (more less 10.000points because deamons and warriors dont count anymore) and my army isnt fully painted yet (i voted infinite :chrome:)

logan054
19-10-2008, 23:00
I bought my space marine army when DoW came out, and so far i have painted two characters, a dreadnought and nearly a whole tactical squad, pretty lame (then again i find it hard to sit down and paint marines). My dark elves i've had since the new book came out, im yet to finish sticking the crossbowmen together:(

I painted a 2k chaos warrior army in about two months, still have plenty more to paint, i think the problem i find is i always find something else to do, be it playing computer games, drinking, playing games or having the other half moaning because im not taking the rubbish out :rolleyes:

When i do get in the right mindset i can stream through painting, i think also the models have a huge factor the play

Shamfrit
19-10-2008, 23:18
I plan to finish painting 1000 of WOC come February/March time, you heard it hear first!

Orcboy_Phil
19-10-2008, 23:53
With dipping don't actually dip the models (at least not with Army painter anyway). Paint the sip on or you'll spend longer getting rid of excess dip than if you had painted it on from the get go.

On topic again, I actually do have a fully painted and based Necron force of about 1500 points. However these are necrons who are pretty much the army desinged for speed painting. I did them in less than a week for a 40K tournament at the local GW.

Dux Ducis
20-10-2008, 02:06
What? A 'finished' army..... is there such a thing? :D

neXus6
20-10-2008, 02:08
You know I had a subtle feeling that given time the "Infiniate" group would pull ahead.
:)

Zaphkiel
20-10-2008, 03:07
6-12

I need to buy all the stuff, and I tend to procrastinate painting

NornTyrant
20-10-2008, 04:42
Never had anything finished. I also has a disease that keep on buying new models but worked in a extremely slow schedule. I had WOC, Beastman, High Elve, Some Empire, TK, and I would like to start some Brets. Also I had a full Japanese army from Perrys (300 models+). My last finished regiment is 12 Chaos warriors, started from Jun 07, and just finished on Oct 08.

If I stop buying models, I think I need my daughter to help me to paint it because I can never make it by the end of my life (No matter how long that is)

Malakai
20-10-2008, 07:17
Infinite. I get caught up in different systems. I usually say "uncle" when an army I started working on and bought when it was first released gets an update with new minis that I just positively have to have. It's starting to give me a complex really. :cries:

-Malakai

nanktank
20-10-2008, 07:23
My army is never finished, in fact I am up to about 8 years and counting with my current ork army

EmperorNorton
20-10-2008, 13:28
If I stop buying models, I think I need my daughter to help me to paint it because I can never make it by the end of my life (No matter how long that is)

Yep, had that scary thought as well: I have more minis than I can hope to finish in my lifetime.
If that weren't proof that I already am, I'd probably go insane.

Orcboy_Phil
20-10-2008, 14:30
We really need to start a charity 'Magpies Anonymas' for wargamers with plastic, resin and white metal addictions.

starlight
20-10-2008, 15:15
What is this *finished* of which you speak...? :eyebrows:

McMullet
20-10-2008, 15:33
It's when you put all the minis in a cardboard box, seal it, write "old TV guides" on the top and put it in the darkest corner of the attic.

On topic: Recently, I've been finishing a 2000 point army in a year or so.

EndlessBug
20-10-2008, 15:44
well i put 20-24 'cos I've had my lizzies for about 4 years now and they haven't been fully painted. Although I did paint 1500 of them in 3 nights so...

My Dark Elves are very similar. I usually go through intense painting phases where I'll get 500 or so points done in one night (to an ok standard), but I'll come back and touch them up a little later on to a decent standard.

Ethlorien
20-10-2008, 16:43
Forever and ever.

slasher
20-10-2008, 17:54
Erm..... whats finished....closest I've managed is 4 years and counting

Tokamak
20-10-2008, 18:50
I'm working on my orc army (2250k) for five years now.

FigureFour
20-10-2008, 19:04
I'm supposed to finish?

Lorcryst
20-10-2008, 20:21
Add me to the rooster of "Team Infinity" too ...

I've been collecting GW minis for the past 20 years, and during 18 of those years I "finished" a grand total of TWO models (the old Thanqol and Boneripper models) ...

And then, when the 7th ed of WFB came out, I decided to build (and paint, for once !) a Night Goblin army ... it took me 18 months to paint roughly 1800 points of the little buggers ...

Sadly, I haven't touched a paintbrush for the last 6 weeks, Real Life has been hectic lately, with new classes, cash problems and other assorted pits and traps preventing me from buying the couple of blisters needed to finish one of my 2K lists and also robbing me of the time and energy necessary to paint ...

N810
20-10-2008, 21:10
Well I have painted almost 1/2 my lizardmen in a year...
But now a new release looms on the horizin...
maybe i'll finish 200 point by next year,
Finish my army eventualy ;)

winkypinky
20-10-2008, 21:30
I have added to my Highelf army for the past 12 years.

And at the other end of the scale there is my Dark Eldar army that I painted over 4 days. A couple of years ago.
(discounting a new archon I recently spent an entire weekend painting, were i also rediscovered my love of purple glaze, so the weekend just flew away)

zak
20-10-2008, 23:40
I find this a very difficult question to answer. This is partly due to GW releasing new armies and then staggering releases and partly due to wanting to paint something for an up and coming game as I don't tend to play one army for longer than 2-3 times before moving on to the next.

The only exception being the dwarves, which I finished in about 4 months and that was a struggle.

TheDarkDuke
21-10-2008, 00:00
Mine is so back and forth. Some armies I love but hate to paint cough cough High Elves still uncomplete. However my Ogres are a treat to paint for some reason and I had like 2k points painted in like 4 months. Then I tend to see some of my brothers models and wish to paint them such as his Carnosaur and Skink Chiefs just a joy to paint.

Its my curse, the models and armies I like to play I hate to paint.