PDA

View Full Version : Drop Pods

Inquisitor Engel
19-10-2008, 07:45
Are possibly the most finnicky all plastic kit GW has ever released to assemble.

Ever.

They do however, lend themselves to being painted bit-by-bit quite well, which I'm going to enjoy doing (tactical squad first though!). They're not as bad as the old Land Raider Crusader hybrid (pure evil that one) but it's pretty annoying, things like the doors could have been made in one piece rather than two and... sigh.

Couldn't the icons have been just a BIT bigger though? The kit overall I quite like. It'll look great once I'm done with it. :)

Khornies & milk
19-10-2008, 08:34
Totally agree, although I save myself most of the grief by leaving out the inner workings because they're for transporting Dreads.

I haven't worried about the Chapter Icons as I've replaced them with FW Inquisition Brass Etchings to represent my Deathwatch 'counts-as' DW list.

Sweet model though...I like it a lot.

xowainx
19-10-2008, 09:35
I really don't get people who had problems with this.. I'm no expert modeller and have a tonne of embarrassing mistakes to my name, but I didn't really have any problems with my drop pod, well once I figured out the instructions for the harness bits were wrong. Looks awesome when completed, really large and imposing with the doors open.

silentsmoke
19-10-2008, 10:41
Er I have two and a FW dreadnought drop pod, they are alike all other GW kits I have put together and painted.

jason_sation
19-10-2008, 18:09
I played against a marine player with a Drop Pod the other day. Great looking model! Also very devestating to my guard! :(

Admiral Samuel Eden
19-10-2008, 19:15
An Ironclad Dreadnought in drop pod with heavy flamers can be really bad news for guard. I have seen it toast two squads on the turn it dropped before, using those horrible heavy flamers.

Hrw-Amen
19-10-2008, 19:48
I was actually disappointed with the model. I thought it would be a bit bigger, it does appear to be a very tight squeeze and where are the other two, (The codex says it can carry 12?) models supposed to go?

I had planned to buy a couple but ended up making some from scratch and have sort of merged elements from both Imperial and Dredclaw to get a much meatier looking model. At least I think so.

Jayden63
19-10-2008, 23:00
The OP clearly hasn't put together an older landspeeder. The new kits arn't too bad, but the older ones from a few years ago were just horrible.

Eryx_UK
19-10-2008, 23:34
I got to be honest, and say that my first drop pod (second waiting to be built) was a real nightmare to put together.

blackroyal
20-10-2008, 00:44
Would it have killed "them" to have put 5 of the chapter markings in the kit? I really like the model, and the only thing I don't like is that the doors don't close all the way without gluing them there.

brother blong
20-10-2008, 01:08
well what do u guys think about using a drop pod with sternguard vets:confused:

Admiral Samuel Eden
20-10-2008, 01:20
Good, but I think that Sternguard with Librarian works better.

devik
20-10-2008, 01:24
well what do u guys think about using a drop pod with sternguard vets:confused:

Kantor leading the army, plus a pod full of sternguard dropping onto an objective and being Space Marine-ey on it?

Not just yes, but hell yes.

Khornies & milk
20-10-2008, 01:45
Would it have killed "them" to have put 5 of the chapter markings in the kit? I really like the model, and the only thing I don't like is that the doors don't close all the way without gluing them there.

I got mine to close completely..they sort of 'click' into place. You need to dry-fit them to align the side fins with the doors and then glue them...be nice to have a third arm/hand to make it easier to do that, or use a vice.

TheWarSmith
20-10-2008, 05:31
Mine's only gonna be for an ironclad dread, so i'm gluin' the doors closed.

brother blong
29-11-2008, 20:54
yeah the model is a b@#$h to glue to geth but pretty awsome compaired to the amazingly ripoff 90 sometihing dollars for fw

Alessander
29-11-2008, 21:19
from what I hear, it's a VERY tight fit on the doors and you need to shave off every mold line or it won't fit correctly.

Sypher21
29-11-2008, 21:27
Well what can I say, was a pain to put it together.

But absolutely nothing compared to Hurricane bolters on the Land Raider Crusader, now THAT was the stuff of nightmares.

Tinners
29-11-2008, 21:33
I found the model really simple, the instructions weren't the clearest, but a bit of common sense made them easy enough to work out. Same goes for the old Landspeeders.

But then again I'm used to making scale models of aircraft, vehicles and ships, now those are tricky.

olmsted
29-11-2008, 23:06
they are pretty easy im even going to try to put one together before a game tomorrow. if your having trouble with glue just use super glue near a clean toilet. when you get an ample amount on the model and need it to quickly seal just dump it in. almost instant setting.

also for those of you with the icon trouble. find your chapter's icon on the net and set it to the size you want. and print it out

then spray paint your model white and tape the icon/stencil to the drop pod. now do the base coat you want. after the paint dries peel off the stencil and bam(if its a solid shape congrats your got yourself a chapter icon if not your screwed sorta.

Warforger
29-11-2008, 23:21
My first one was my best strangely enough, its a pain to put together, but I agree, NOTHING like the old Crusader Hurricane and even assault cannon turrets (assault cannon turrets didn't fit >_>)

TheWarSmith
01-12-2008, 00:49
Just picked up a dreadclaw drop pod to use in my "counts as iron warriors" army.

I'm so excited to get it cleaned and put together.

olmsted
01-12-2008, 01:01
made my new pod in under 20 mins

blameless
01-12-2008, 01:15
I didn't find it hard, I even had a good time building the crusader model! no sweat and strong model... good job GW!

StormWulfen
01-12-2008, 01:35

may be too late but try pressing the bottom corners of the doors that don't close, worked for me.

as for the pod, for me it was easy to build but the instructions are crap.

Hellgore
01-12-2008, 11:50
I got to be honest, and say that my first drop pod (second waiting to be built) was a real nightmare to put together.

Same to me, after assembling, the doors don't really fit and only half of them can be closed. Not to mention the wrong description of putting together the harness pieces.

I hate this model and will take australian ones for the future, no details, no open doors but at least not a pita assembling.

Flinch
01-12-2008, 13:47
<snip> if your having trouble with glue just use super glue near a clean toilet. when you get an ample amount on the model and need it to quickly seal just dump it in. almost instant setting.<snip> (emphasis mine)

My mind is rebelling at this statement. I mean... Good God!

If you are talking about immersing your model in water... what's wrong with the sink?

Lainer
01-12-2008, 15:12
A sink or bucket/bowl would usually be a better choice, but its correct that moisture helps superglue set faster.

Linkdead
01-12-2008, 16:14
Or you could I don't know use a product specifically designed to set CA instantly...

olmsted
01-12-2008, 16:58
well its already a bowl thats full of water. like i said a clean toilet. mine is so i dont know about yours. the water in most toilets is just as clean as what comes out of your faucet in the kitchen

Lone Monkey
01-12-2008, 17:24
well its already a bowl that's full of water. like i said a clean toilet. mine is so i dont know about yours. the water in most toilets is just as clean as what comes out of your faucet in the kitchen

The water may be the same BEFORE it hits the bowl, but the bowl itself and what eventually resides within it kinda deter that once the water fills. Have to agree with the others, buckets or sinks would be a better and more sanitary choice.

On topic, my first Drop Pod was a bit fiddly to put together and doesn't quite line up right, but my subsequent four pods have gone together like a dream. I do wish there was a reasonable spot to model on a homing beacon. Still not sure where/how to model mine.

Faolain
01-12-2008, 18:10
I put together and painted a Dark Angels drop pod for a friend for his birthday. It was kind of a pain to get the interior just right since everything had to be painted separately, but it wasn't extremely difficult. I can see it being quite daunting for a beginner however. It's far more precise a fit than other things I've put together, and I found that even the thickness of the paint would cause parts not to fit together properly.

The Song of Spears
01-12-2008, 20:23
Odd, my pods went together easy-peasy. had them both done and snug tight in about and hour or two. How did you guys assemble yours? step by step by the book, or with a little alteration to that process on your behalf?

and i agree, paint some or all of it before assembly.

Starchild
01-12-2008, 22:59
they are pretty easy im even going to try to put one together before a game tomorrow. if your having trouble with glue just use super glue near a clean toilet. when you get an ample amount on the model and need it to quickly seal just dump it in. almost instant setting.

The Drop Pod is plastic. Liquid cement / plastic glue works best, since it actually melts the parts together. Super glue just puts a layer of gunk between the parts, which can offset proper positioning. Too, plastic glue is cheaper for what you get and how much you can get out of one bottle. Super glue should be used only for metal models, or for joining metal to plastic (after pinning). :o

As for painting, don't use spray primer on plastic. Use an airbrush with thinned down enamel. The propellent in sprays eats the surface of plastic. Airbrushed enamels make a nice surface for painting without damaging the plastic.

And of course, paint the interior of the Drop Pod first, and then paint harnesses separately before gluing them in, otherwise it's a nightmare.

OK, modeler's rant over. :chrome:

olmsted
01-12-2008, 23:02
actually where i am i can get 4 things of super glue for 5 instead of 1 plastic cement for 5. as well as super glue has more use around the home and due to the layer of gunk as you call it i can disassemble and cannabalize models at will.

that and super glue is easier to find

VeritasMortis
01-12-2008, 23:54
I did have some minor assembly issues but, nothing much to cry over.

My friend on the other hand... I think he wanted a bottle of scotch and a revolver rather than that model in the end.