PDA

View Full Version : First Eldar purchases

Durandal
19-10-2008, 12:49
I went to Games Workshop in Leeds yesterday to buy my initial Eldar army sets. It's my first army so I spent a while talking to the staff. I'd like to compliment them on their enthusiasm and helpfulness, and I'll definitely pop down one Thursday to play, as they suggested.

I intended to buy separate units, having decided against the battleforce box as it only has 5 Dire Rangers and a few units I don't want. But then, having racked up 86 I realised I'd be better off buying the 100 army box as I was buying almost everything in it, apart from jetbikes, which I might want in future anyway, and it has Flacon whereas I intended getting a Waveserpent.

I think I made the right decision. On opening the box today I've tried to seperate the blisters. I think everything is at it should be except that I'm down a blister of Guardians and seem to have acquired some other creatures. I might post a pic later, or have a look round the GW site. They're definitely not Eldar anyway. There's another blister I'm not sure of, which looks to have Imperial type motifs, although it does have an Eldar looking gun on it. Oh, I'm missing Jetbike instructions too, although I think I can manage without those. Are these kind of errors usual in large boxes? I assume I'll be able to take the odd blister to the shop to swap for more Guardians?

Anyway, all in all I'm pretty satisfied and raring to go. I think I'll get a good day indulging myself today as it's my 43 birthday. :) Actually, not sure why I'm smiling. Forty-bloodythree! :eek:

Sleazy
19-10-2008, 16:14
if theres the wrong stuff in there just give GW a bell, they'll be happy to put it right.

I've recently started an eldar army too (though this is my 4th I think). Haveyou thought about which Craftworld or are you doing your own thing?

Spektre
19-10-2008, 16:32
Glad to see a new player coming into the game and Happy Birthday.

The Eldar were my second choice between the Tau and them I ended up chosing the Tau but I l;ove the Eldar Fluff and as well as the army they field. So god luck on building and painting your army and hope you do well enough on your first battle.

Usually (it's never happened to me) I would think that if one of the blisters was wrong that you should bring back the box set and just try to exchange it for a new set, or just E-mail GW and they might just send you a set but I'm not sure on that.

Hope you find a good and fun group to play with as well

Durandal
19-10-2008, 17:29
if theres the wrong stuff in there just give GW a bell, they'll be happy to put it right.

I've recently started an eldar army too (though this is my 4th I think). Haveyou thought about which Craftworld or are you doing your own thing?

I was intending to do a Craftworld based army, either Iyanden or Biel-Tan or maybe even Yme-Loc. The Eldar guy in the shop reckoned it was pointless weakening your army to stick to a Craftworld. I see his point, but you can still have a strong army. As far as I can see you can still have use of any Aspect Warriors?

captain ceaser
19-10-2008, 17:40
Hiya. Happy birthday and good choice, Eldar rock. Yeah any craftworld armies can use whatever troops its just more fluffy for say saim hann to use loads of jetbikes.

Anyway the way i started my army was to get two of the 50 box sets as i had guardians, dire avengers, wave serpants and the almighty war walkers. really depends what troops you want to use but fire dragons rule.

As noted above, if your missing stuff GW will happily replace it and if you got some extras. cool :)

Sleazy
19-10-2008, 18:23
yeah with the new 'dex you dont have options as such. You can just theme as much or as little as you want. I am painting Iyanden but am not restricting myself as one of the best things about painting an eldar army is the variation in colours between units - keeps it interesting y'know?

HsojVvad
19-10-2008, 19:07
Well it was said by others who bought things from GW that when their box or orders were screwed up, the called the 1-800 number and GW set things right.

For an example someone bought a tank, was missing a turrent, the called expecting to just get a turrent, and GW sent them an almost complete new kit. I would strongly call the 1-800 number and see if they tell you to go to the store for an exchange or they might send you the missing mini's while you can keep what was put wrong in the frist place.

Sleazy
19-10-2008, 19:30
yeah just ring gw. i bought a falcon missing the clear canopys and they sent me a whole new falcon! theres been many threads here praising GW for this, they have a lot of faults but customer service isnt one of them.

Durandal
19-10-2008, 21:21
yeah with the new 'dex you dont have options as such. You can just theme as much or as little as you want. I am painting Iyanden but am not restricting myself as one of the best things about painting an eldar army is the variation in colours between units - keeps it interesting y'know?

True. As the colour scheme of the Aspect Warriors is independent of whichever Craftworld you choose you have plenty of excuse for various colours. Look forward to seeing your army progress!

I've had a good day today anyway - assembled my ten Dire Avengers and worked out an initial army list, which I'll post in the list forum soon. Not sure I should continue now, though, after a few birthday drinks. :angel:

TwilightOdyssey
19-10-2008, 23:05
Congrats on getting your first models, and also for choosing Eldar, my favourite faction! The army list is very configurable and you will have many, many options to try while you figure out what build matches your playing style. (I've yet to use jet bikes, myself)

CULCHAIN
19-10-2008, 23:23
Congratulations I too was thinking of starting Eldar, but have had a hard time finding the best way to set up an Altansar list

whiteman
20-10-2008, 00:04
eldar is a GREAT race to play,espically blowing peoples heads apart with the farseers (which you can get 2 of,count as HQ choices) and all the other stuff but sometimes thats happend to me but it shouldnt happen too much and happy birthday!

Durandal
20-10-2008, 12:13
Congrats on getting your first models, and also for choosing Eldar, my favourite faction! The army list is very configurable and you will have many, many options to try while you figure out what build matches your playing style. (I've yet to use jet bikes, myself)

I've seen one or two posts doubting the usefulness of jetbikes. Doesn't the 3+ armour save, extra toughness and shuriken canon upgrade not redeem them at all? I'd like to include a few, but that's mainly cos they look good and I've bought four of them! ;)

Sleazy
20-10-2008, 12:35
they are ok, the jetbike rules are cool, they are T4 and twin-linked shricats or shrican are great. Main problem i've found is that they are usually small squads so get taken down easily and dont have too much of a punch due to the small unit size with short range guns - they usually cause a few casualties and get murdered by return fire/assault. Great scoring unit for claiming objectives though.

20-10-2008, 14:53
special characters can be used in any game i mean there all HQ choices there all badass and you don't have to have 1500+ point game to use them. and wraithguard can be used as troops if you have ten and a spiritseer! but seriously in a 50 battleforce it has the parts in it for a wave serpant and a falcon so you can make one of the two. thanks to a very indulgent Phil kelly

Frgt/10
20-10-2008, 15:04
I've seen one or two posts doubting the usefulness of jetbikes. Doesn't the 3+ armour save, extra toughness and shuriken canon upgrade not redeem them at all? I'd like to include a few, but that's mainly cos they look good and I've bought four of them! ;)

dont listen to the nay-sayers; jetbikes are arguably the best troop choice in the eldar army if used right.
Ive got a saim hann army, and with nearly 20 jetbikes in even my 1000pt list it means im generally supportive of their abilites :D

TwilightOdyssey
20-10-2008, 15:09
I have nothing against jetbikes, I just haven't bought or played them them, literally lol.

I play Alaitoc that is mostly on-foot. Autarch, Pathfinders, full unit of Harlies with Striking Scorps should the points allow, lots of aspect warriors, single Falcon.

Fist of Crimson
20-10-2008, 15:24
Down a blister of Guardians:

You should get 16 guardians on sprues and the other 4 are on the weapons platform sprues if I remember rightly. I couldn't find the 4 with the weapons platform when I first opened my box.

"There's another blister I'm not sure of, which looks to have Imperial type motifs, although it does have an Eldar looking gun on it"

This confused the hell out of me too!
I believe it is a 40k Apocalypse sprue for making a vehicle into a command vehicle. Has components suitable for just about all the races on it.

Hope I helped!

Durandal
20-10-2008, 15:39
Down a blister of Guardians:

You should get 16 guardians on sprues and the other 4 are on the weapons platform sprues if I remember rightly. I couldn't find the 4 with the weapons platform when I first opened my box.

Yes, I have the weapons platform sprues, but I only have three sets of 4 normal guardians - 12. And as I say, I have another sprue of alien figures (as in alien to Eldar!) They have reptile type feet and dog-like jaws. It looks like they have tails too.

"There's another blister I'm not sure of, which looks to have Imperial type motifs, although it does have an Eldar looking gun on it"

This confused the hell out of me too!
I believe it is a 40k Apocalypse sprue for making a vehicle into a command vehicle. Has components suitable for just about all the races on it.

Ah right, that might explain that. It does look a bit of a mishmash. Thanks for clearing it up.

EDIT: The odd sprue is skaven. I just looked up the number from the sprue in Google and found that they are Skaven Regiment Clanrats.

Fist of Crimson
20-10-2008, 17:13
EDIT: The odd sprue is skaven. I just looked up the number from the sprue in Google and found that they are Skaven Regiment Clanrats.

Clanrats, Guardians ... Whatever! They are almost the same thing :rolleyes:

Give GW a call and they will sort you out. They really are surprisingly good with customer service.

Durandal
29-10-2008, 22:23
I dug this thread up from the depths to say that, after phoning Games Workshop, they not only sent me the missing Guardian blister, they sent me a whole Guardian box. And I mean the 18 Guardian Squad box!

As people have said, their customer service seems very good.

gunbunny242
29-10-2008, 23:56
A friend of mine does Eldar and bought a revanant from forge world at games day 07. It was missing the left arm mount. After a year of phoning forge world he took it to games day 08 to see if he could swap it. They sorted it out and gave him a cobra for the inconvience.
A COBRA!!! thats 125!
We all went home and wondered what bits we could lose of our forge world kits.....................:D

galahad67
30-10-2008, 05:20
GW customer service is incredible.

They are the reason I spend as much as I do on the product lines.

The best customer service I have EVER encountered = anywhere.

With regards to Eldar = jetbikes in squads of 7+ have good staying power. Especially if a farseer is with them giving a double armour save...

elvinltl
30-10-2008, 14:56
Congratulations on picking Eldar!

First of all you would like to choose a craftworld/exodite or even pirate theme to abide by. As you mentioned, some guy in the shop said that it is pointless to have a fluffy and weak army. I totally agree with what he said.

The challenge offered to you is to create a fluffy and yet competitive army. There is no doubt Vanilla Armies are strong but they cultivate no sense of belonging to your Army. Ultimately, you will get really bored with your army and probably move on to another race.

A good way to start up an Eldar Army is to devise a Synergy Build.
For example, if you love Siam-Hann, you could start off with a Seer Council on Jetbike. Remember to throw in a Farseer to fortune them.
4+ Invul Saves and 3+ Amour Saves re-rollable is no joke. They can absorb obscene amount of firepower.

Another tatic Eldar players employ is to have a lone Autarch on jetbike. He is capable of quickly entering closecombat with range enemy squads while you footslog your Banshees or Harlequins over to reinforce your Autarch.

A Farseer on Jetbike also gives you an advantage to effectively cast spells where ever you require.

wildclan1
30-10-2008, 16:01
Welcome fellow Eldar player Ihave also just recently started using jetbikes and have found using them in 2 squads of six and turboboosting towards the end of the game to claim objectives works very well:D

victorpofa
31-10-2008, 03:10
I plan on using 3 squads of six jetbikes in my Saim-Hann Eldar army when I get to it. I don't know how it will fare, but it sounds like fun.

And yes, GW Customer Service is top notch. I needed two canopies from an Eldar Battleforce, and they sent me a Falcon box to get me the two canopies.

RFT
31-10-2008, 12:25
As an aside, it does amuse me that the Eldar are the most technologically advanced race in the universe, but can only make one type of windscreen/canopy for all their tanks, walkers, and aircraft...

Starchild
31-10-2008, 16:12
First of all you would like to choose a craftworld/exodite or even pirate theme to abide by. As you mentioned, some guy in the shop said that it is pointless to have a fluffy and weak army. I totally agree with what he said.

And I don't agree with what he said. There's been a tragic misconception about what a 'fluffy' Eldar army is, ever since the ridiculous Codex Craftworld Eldar came out.

The Craftworld units were introduced in the Epic Space Marine game by Rick Priestley. Each Craftworld got a free unit card to give each army a bit of flavour. So Saim-Hann got six stands of jetbikes, Iyanden got four stands of Wraithguard, Ulthwe got six stands of Guardians, Biel-tan got four stands of Dire Avengers, and Alaitoc got four stands of Rangers (called Scouts back then.)

These units were never intended to represent the entire Craftworld's troops; again, they were only for flavour.

Even Codex Craftworld Eldar said you could use any Craftworld list and paint your army any way you want! So you could have Ulthwe Ghost Warriors, or a Biel-tan Ranger force, or a Saim-Hann Aspect Warrior army.

The point is, *every Craftworld* has access to any specialized formation. In Epic any Eldar army could have Spirit Hosts, or Wind Rider Hosts, etc. etc. So to be 'fluffy', all you would really need is a single unit to flavour your army. So take some jetbikes for Saim-Hann, but then you're free to take anything else you want. Yes, Saim-Hann has Rangers, Aspect Warriors, Wraithguard, and Guardians! Every Craftworld has every unit-- it's as simple as that. :cool:

Getifa Ubazza
31-10-2008, 16:26
I really want to start an Eldar army. I would rather do Dark Eldar though, so ive got about a year to wait it seems. Oh well, i will just play with my Orks till then.

Erloas
31-10-2008, 17:14
Well rather then starting a new thread I'll just post here.

I've been playing Fantasy for 4-5 years now, mostly playing DE but I've played Beasts of Chaos, O&G and VC as well, but since I moved I haven't been able to find any players. Everyone locally is playing 40k, so I'm going to start 40k (while trying to convert at least some of them to fantasy as well).

After looking over the options I've decided on Eldar. They seem very well rounded and can specialize in doing just about anything and they aren't space marines (or one of the 6 slightly different versions of space marines) so it seems to be just what I'm looking for.

As far as the rules for 40k, I've read through them but don't know them very well yet. A lot of the rules and tables that carry over from Fantasy I know. I've played a few small games with borrowed armies. So I know the basics but I don't know the nuances yet. I don't currently have access to an Eldar book and the closest shop is 160 miles away and I don't want to order it online until I get a full order ready.

So I'm looking at what to get. It seems a lot of people seem to pass over the guardians, are they just poor compared to other choices or limited in use to a few specific situations?
I haven't seen many people recommending the jetbikes either, to me they would seem to fill the same role as Dark Riders for the Dark Elves, which is one of the most versatile units in fantasy and a unit virtually no DE player goes without. So maybe this is a fundamental change in the nature of the two games. Obviously their strength is in their speed, in fantasy that means a lot of things, how does that translate into real usability in 40k though.

To start with I want a fairly general purpose 1000-1500 point list. I'll work on specializing it to opponents or aspects once I learn the game and opponents a bit better.
What I'm looking at is a Walker (really like them), an anti-heavy close combat unit, an anti-horde shooting, and of course something to handle tanks. And of course some general purpose units.
I'm going to need some tanks or transports too I assume. It seems like all tanks can carry units, though not larger units. So what is the pros and cons of putting units into heavier tanks as opposed to (mostly) dedicated troop transports?
I'm not really sure on characters.

Based on that I'm trying to decide what I need to pick up. I'll probably get either the army box or the battleforce box along with 2-3 other units and a hero or two.
Knowing how GW imbelishes what units can really do in their descriptions and not knowing the stats on most of the equipement certain units can take I'm not exactly sure which units fit what I'm looking for. I know in some cases multiple units can fill similiar roles just in slightly different ways. And of course in those situations I would rather choose the more versatile option if two options are at least fairly similiar in their ability to fill their primary role.

Locally there are armies of every type. The most common seem to be IG, Orks, and some space marine varients. I don't know SM well enough to know all of the versions, I know there are some Chaos (primarily nurgle), and some normal. I know sisters of battle and grey knights have came up, but I don't know if they are being used all that much.

luchog
31-10-2008, 18:50
So I'm looking at what to get. It seems a lot of people seem to pass over the guardians, are they just poor compared to other choices or limited in use to a few specific situations?
Guardians are effectively limited to heavy support; they're too weak for a basic troop choice. A Guardian squad with a heavy support weapon is a very good option for a footslogger Eldar army, however. The Eldar heavy weapons are very useful, and a full Guardian squad makes an effective screen. Throw in a Farseer with Fortune and Guide, and you've got a solid heavy support unit.

I haven't seen many people recommending the jetbikes either, to me they would seem to fill the same role as Dark Riders for the Dark Elves, which is one of the most versatile units in fantasy and a unit virtually no DE player goes without. So maybe this is a fundamental change in the nature of the two games. Obviously their strength is in their speed, in fantasy that means a lot of things, how does that translate into real usability in 40k though.

It really depends on your army. I personally like jetbikes very much. Their weaponry is somewhat short range and light; but they're extremely mobile, and can put a lot of firepower in the right place very quickly. They're capable of moving over pretty much any terrain without penalty, and turbo-boosting gives them an excellent range of mobility. Again, throw in a Farseer with Guide and Fortune, or a Warlock with Conceal or Enhance, and they become a very effective mechanized infantry unit.

To start with I want a fairly general purpose 1000-1500 point list. I'll work on specializing it to opponents or aspects once I learn the game and opponents a bit better.

What I'm looking at is a Walker (really like them), an anti-heavy close combat unit, an anti-horde shooting, and of course something to handle tanks. And of course some general purpose units.

War-walkers are some of the best walker units in the game, particularly as they have the Scout USR; and you can kit them out for anti-horde, anti-meq, and anti-tank.

The Eldar have three good close-combat units, Striking Scorpions, Howling Banshees, and Harlequins. Scorps are best as anti-horde and infiltrators, Banshees will rip through MEQs with power weapons and first strike, and Harlequins are great for taking out Termies and other elites in hand-to-hand. Harlies are pretty much a great big glass hammer, however, so can be tricky to use. With Scorps and Banshees, Exarchs are mandatory, as are Shadowseers for Harlequins (Death Jester upgrade for Harlies is not worth the points).

The best anti-horde shooting unit is definitely Dire Avengers with Exarch and Bladestorm. This puts a metric butt-ton of S4 AP5 fire downrange in a hurry. Warp Spiders are also very effective anti-horde. Not as effective in shooting, since their weapons are AP-; but much easier to avoid getting caught in a counter-attack.

Anti-tank/monstrous creature really depends on your overall army. If you're primarily footsloggers, then you can't beat a Wraithlord with Wraithsword, Brightlance, and a Spiritseer to deal with Wraithsight. They're also excellent anti-character units. A unit of Fire Dragons are also excellent anti-Armour, particularly if you give them a dedicated transport, which is highly recommended for a mechanized army.

If you're trying to limit the number of units, Fire Prisms are excellent all-arounders. Very good anti-tank firepower; combined with decent anti-troop firepower. Using multiple Fire Prisms increases the effectiveness, since you can "chain" their main weapons (ie, use one to enhance the S and AP of another), and I'd recommend always using 2 (more than that is overkill).

I'm going to need some tanks or transports too I assume. It seems like all tanks can carry units, though not larger units. So what is the pros and cons of putting units into heavier tanks as opposed to (mostly) dedicated troop transports?

The basic con to Falcons (which are light tanks, not heavy) is that they can't carry very many troops -- 7 compared to the Wave Serpent's 12. They have superior firepower; but the Wave Serpent has superior anti-ranged-weapon defense. If you're going mech, then a Wave Serpent is the best choice for transporting basic troops, and anti-MEQ troops like Banshees or Dark Reapers; while a Falcon is best for anti-elite and anti-armour troops like Harlequins and Fire Dragons.

Fire Prisms, the Eldar heavy tank, cannot carry troops at all.

I'm not really sure on characters.

I never bother with them, myself.

Based on that I'm trying to decide what I need to pick up. I'll probably get either the army box or the battleforce box along with 2-3 other units and a hero or two.
I would recommend against the battleforce box, as it lacks sufficient troops. If you're going with a mainly foot army, then the Army box is the best way to start. If you're going all mech, then the Grav Tank Warhost box with the Windrider box are your best value. You'll also want a unit of Banshees or Harlequins, Warwalkers, and Fire Dragons or Wraithlord. A Seer Council box is pretty much mandatory as well.

Ben
31-10-2008, 22:47
Well the army box gives you four troop choices (2 guardian squads, a dire avenger squad and a 4 man jet bike squad), two heavy support (falcon, wraithlord) and 1 fast attack (Vyper). Add an HQ box and you have a decent foot slogging army.

The GravTank warhost gives you a 1500 point force (HQ - Autarch, 2 10 man Dire Avenger squads in wave serpents, 3 Falcon grav tanks) which is a pretty cheesy force, but not much fun to play, given it is dependent on the grav tanks winning the game for you for the most part, and will struggle against balanced armies.

The Wind Rider host also gives you a balanced force, and can be added to the Army box to give you two troop choice of jet bikes (one of six, one of seven) and a squadron of vypers, and you can lead one jetbike unit with an Autarch on jet bike. This gives you a powerful scoring flanking force with some footsloggers (dire avengers) and some long range AT weapons (guardian squads weapons platforms).

I'd say get the army box and then see what takes your fancy.

victorpofa
01-11-2008, 04:09
The point is, *every Craftworld* has access to any specialized formation. In Epic any Eldar army could have Spirit Hosts, or Wind Rider Hosts, etc. etc. So to be 'fluffy', all you would really need is a single unit to flavour your army. So take some jetbikes for Saim-Hann, but then you're free to take anything else you want. Yes, Saim-Hann has Rangers, Aspect Warriors, Wraithguard, and Guardians! Every Craftworld has every unit-- it's as simple as that. :cool:

Well said. While my Eldar will start as a Windrider Host, I have the models for every other unit in the army except War Walkers, and I intend to use all of them eventually. I did not know what a splash release was when the Eldar were redone or I would have three of those as well. :cries:

carlisimo
01-11-2008, 05:17
I was intending to do a Craftworld based army, either Iyanden or Biel-Tan or maybe even Yme-Loc. The Eldar guy in the shop reckoned it was pointless weakening your army to stick to a Craftworld. I see his point, but you can still have a strong army. As far as I can see you can still have use of any Aspect Warriors?

You have to come up with a color scheme - so you'll end up having a craftworld anyway. It could be your own, it could be an established one... and if it's one of the established one, don't treat it as a limitation.

The rules in the new codex are pretty open, they let you take any kind of army and you can still call your craftworld whatever you want. Sure, if you paint a jetbike army in Iyanden colors people will tell you they should've been red... but that's not important. Your craftworld colors give you a backstory. Your army composition gives you a theme.

For example, sure, Iyanden's population was decimated, but not so much that they can't put together an expeditionary force of 20 jetbikes, vypers, and falcons. If it takes a fast strike to keep the craftworld safe 5 years from now, that's exactly what they'll do. Of course, you don't have to take an army composition theme and stick with it 100%. With armies as small as they are in 40k, you can make up a story to explain anything. So just buy what you like!