PDA

View Full Version : What films do you feel best capture the essence of the 41st Millenium?

Wolfblade670
19-10-2008, 22:29
So I'm curious, out of the many films made over the years, which in your opinion best exemplefy the feel of the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millenium? For me, I'd have to say first and formost would be the first Terminator film, and parts of the second. The flashback scenes of the fighting among the nuclear blasted ruins of Los Angeles are what I would picture a typical battlefield to be like in the 41st Millenium. The dark oppressive atmosphere, the lasbeams glittering in the dark (cookie for whoever gets the reference), the dirty, exhausted, starving human soldiers, the cities reduced to twisted rubble and ash. Add some religous fanaticism, and switch out Skynet with bloodthirsty demon worshipping freaks, and mix in the occasional bayonet charge, and you have alot of what I picture Cadia to be like in the wake of the 13th Black Crusade. Just one example of a number of films I'm sure.

neXus6
19-10-2008, 22:35
1984/V for Vendetta/Equilibrium style fascist oppressive regimes have always struck me as what the "presentable" face of the Imperium would be like to its public.

Archangel_Ruined
19-10-2008, 22:36
Brazil, but only because it's so Orwellian in content and the Imperium is influenced heavily by 1984's dystopian vision of a totalitarian society. I almost sound like I know what I'm talking about there...

jason_sation
19-10-2008, 22:45
Starship Troopers. I love the overbearing government, and the disregard for human life.

Also the movie "Soldier" staring Kurt Russell makes me imagine what it must be like to be a soldier in the Cadian army.

Lisiecki
19-10-2008, 22:46
pretty much anything by s, Charles Ng and Leonard Lake or Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka

Hicks
19-10-2008, 22:51
Star Wars!

Ok, seriously, I'd say Starship Trooper and the extended version of Dune. GW really ripped off Dune, just watch the first minutes of the movie.

Wolfblade670
19-10-2008, 22:53
Yeah, I'll definatly agree with Starship Troopers, Dune, and Soldier. Hello! "God-Emperor" Leto?:wtf:

hemogoblin
19-10-2008, 22:58
gonna say starship troopers, and soldier.
though i do like to watch the terminator future scenes for inspiration.
though ALIENS is also very 40kish.

whitewolfmxc
19-10-2008, 23:22
starship troopers XD IG vs Tyrainds ! BUGS !!!!!!!!!

Aliens : more xeno scum ! and "SPACE MARINES"!

Dune: more have been said above XD

Terminator: Necrons !!!!!!

Predator: Eldar ??? pop put of nowhere and stabs you real hard lol has cloaking........

Wolfblade670
19-10-2008, 23:27
I always saw the Kroot as far more analogous to the Predator than the Eldar.

HsojVvad
19-10-2008, 23:37
@ Lisiecki, What the hell are you talking about man? Children Rapist and Murderers? COME ON MAN OR WOMAN. THAT IS SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no need for that here.

I take great insult to this. Can you please explain yourself? I can't see how I am over reacting here.

Treadhead_1st
19-10-2008, 23:48
Starship Troopers (3 as well) - bloodfest where the good guys get whuped for the most part by superior killing machines.

Dune (though I saw the TV series not the movie version) - civil war on a grand scale - atomics, lasers and shields make for bad combinations!

Bits of Terminator/Terminator 2 (can you say Meltabomb?) - post-apocalypse is cool.

The latter half of Full Metal Jacket (once out of Boot Camp) - urban warfare and psychology.

Battle of the Bulge
Saints and Soldiers
The parts of Band of Brothers relating to Bastoigne

Those 3 lumped together as they show off the 'front line hell' and thanks to the Greatcoats and winter environments show off the Valhallen thing quite well.

I used to be able to think of a dozen others too, but typically I've left my brain behind this evening.

Ryusa
20-10-2008, 00:00
the lasbeams glittering in the dark (cookie for whoever gets the reference)

Blade Runner!!!

Witch is an execellent movie to represent a hive world...

Going a little bit off topic, I think that "Army of Darkness" is a perfect movie for fantasy:
Empire vs. Vampire Counts!!!
They even have a steam tank!!!!
:D:D:D

the1stpip
20-10-2008, 00:01
Starship Troopers. I love the overbearing government, and the disregard for human life.

True, but the fort seen with the few MI facing off a never ending horde of bugs is another scene that I see 40k in.

Triggerdog
20-10-2008, 00:06
Apocalypse Now= Guard of a different flavor
Jarhead= Guard
The Alien films= Someone in the Ordo Xenos/ Ad Mech screwed up with nids
Starship Troopers= Guard Vs Tyranids, mindset of the Imperium. The book illustrates this much more than the film.
Band of Brothers= Guard
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex= Arbites
Blade Runner= Arbites or perhaps even Inquisition
The Hunted= Callidus Assassin of a sort
Collateral= Eversor Assassin
No Country for Old Men= Culexus Assassin in a way
Land of the Blind= Administratum at its finest
Kingdom of Heaven= Marines in general but Black Templars big time (duh)
Chronicles of Riddick= Epic Sci-fi. Necromongers= Necrons attacking an Imperial world.

thats just off the top of my head.

jason_sation
20-10-2008, 00:16
Equilibrium kind of reminded me of an Inquisitor or one of his assasins at work.

Lisiecki
20-10-2008, 00:35
@ Lisiecki, What the hell are you talking about man? Children Rapist and Murderers? COME ON MAN OR WOMAN. THAT IS SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no need for that here.

I take great insult to this. Can you please explain yourself? I can't see how I am over reacting here.

Really,
Wow, first off, it must be nice to be able to be insulted on a message board, when no ones talking about you
Perhaps you've never read any of the background for any of 40k, ever. I think the idea of people who do horrible horrible things, and who are then rewarded for it1, and whos name lives on in song for it2, is pretty fitting to the feel of 40k.

You thought what, this was Hugs and Rainbows, 40,000.
In the happy future of unicorn lake, there are only cookies?

1.www.epinions.com/search/?search_vertical=all&search_string=Homolka http://www.canadiancrc.com/Karla_Homolka_plea_bargain_folly.aspx
2. http://www.myspace.com/mariopompetti

Lord Inquisitor
20-10-2008, 00:50
Event Horizon - quite close to the concept of the Warp as Hell.

jason_sation
20-10-2008, 01:18

I agree! That's what I always think of when I think of the Warp!

philbrad2
20-10-2008, 01:23
Blade Runner!!!

I thought that too, an Inquistor tracking down heretics ...

As for the rest, Starship Troopers 1 & 3 for sure IG vs Nids (don't get me started on SS 2 though)

Opening half hour of Mutant Chronicles is very 40K, IG, big guns and for those that have read the FW Vraks book, the Bauhaus assault is very Kreig like.

Most modern war films have elements of 40K , Enemy at the Gates, Saving Private Ryan etc...

PhilB
:chrome:

Hicks
20-10-2008, 01:23

How could I have missed that one!

StarshipBOb
20-10-2008, 01:24
Starship Troopers! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw&feature=related)

Lord Cook
20-10-2008, 01:36
Starship Troopers= Guard Vs Tyranids, mindset of the Imperium. The book illustrates this much more than the film.

Politically, yes. But in the book the Mobile Infantry is nothing like the Imperial Guard, while the film gets much closer in that regard.

neXus6
20-10-2008, 01:48
Good thing the thread is "What films" then.
:rolleyes:

The book is pretty much the entire inspiration behind Space Marines and I'm pretty sure everyone knows it.
:p

Gah, can't believe I missed Event Horizon too.

I wouldn't say the Necromungers from Riddick would be necrons...life time of battle/martial training, if anything they'd be more like marines, or at least a Grenadier guard army for a planet that does nothing but churn out soldiers.

Virus - yeah okay ***** movie but an electrical/robotic entity is how I'd picture the higher up levels of the Necrons to be.
Ghosts of Mars - Khorne Rebel Guard. :p
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Probably about as close to a Genestealer Cult infestation you can get. (though one part of Starship Troopers 2 could get a mention on that kinda front)
Predator - The old lictor stalking Catachans story from the 2nd ed Nid codex.
Robocop - Ad. Mech/general heavy bionic use.
Appleseed - Similar to above, also Marine like.
Hellraiser - more Chaos to go with Event Horizon.

Triggerdog
20-10-2008, 01:54
Good thing the thread is "What films" then.
:rolleyes:

Gah, can't believe I missed Event Horizon too.

I wouldn't say the Necromungers from Riddick would be necrons...life time of battle/martial training, if anything they'd be more like marines, or at least a Grenadier guard army for a planet that does nothing but churn out soldiers.

But they show up out of nowhere and kill everything. They also dont seem to feel pain and do not have a habit of losing morale or anything like that.

Necrons are not trained per se but they are programed instead.

neXus6
20-10-2008, 02:05
See that first bit makes me feel they are even more like Marines. Spearhead style attack, almost immune to pain, stupidly high morale.
:D

Grindgodgrind
20-10-2008, 02:13
Scanners, anyone?

neXus6
20-10-2008, 02:22
You know as I was putting down "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" a couple of posts back I really thought about putting Scanners down too and for some reason didn't.
:p
So good call. :)

Seems a pretty good one for representing the manifesting of psychic powers in humans, at least the telepathic/kinetic side of them. Firestarter, based on the Steven King book, would be another for the pyrokinetic psykers.

Grindgodgrind
20-10-2008, 02:25
Yeah, I like how even in Scanners, the psychics are hunted down too. With regards to 'nids perhaps a film like Species or Mimic could bring up that imagery. If you want to go really old school, what about Quatermass?

Talking of Cronenburg, ever seen The Brood? It's about a pyschotherapist who that allows patients to use their negative emotions to physical change. Hmmmm.

jason_sation
20-10-2008, 02:35
Yeah, I always imagined that Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a bit like a genestealer cult.

Grindgodgrind
20-10-2008, 02:50
This thread has made me think quite a bit....

Fahrenheit 451, Soylent Green, etc....

neXus6
20-10-2008, 02:52
I have to grudgingly admit to not really being able to stand Oliver Reed for some reason so no I've not seen The Brood, though I know the plot/premise is another one showing pretty dark mental powers and it goes a bit genestealer cult/tyranid with one of the characters apparantly aswell.

unclejimbo827
20-10-2008, 02:55
Zulu. But I play Praetorians. :p

Knyghtmare
20-10-2008, 02:58
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Not the best movie in the world, but the Deep Eyes sure remind me of Space Marines and James Wood's character is very Commissar like. Even the barrier cities are very hive-ish.

Grindgodgrind
20-10-2008, 03:11
Anyoen who mentioned Equilibrium should also check out THX 1138. You'd enjoy it.

Gorgoroth
20-10-2008, 04:08
Fifth Element. It has those ork things on the badguy team. Also, the futuristic city and how everyone lives in little 'pods'. Also - they have pills that you put in a microwave type thing and it turns into a roast chicken!!! The guard would probably get nourishment like that in their standard issue Cadian rucksacks!

Another movie is 28 Days Later. The bit near the end when they are all bunkered in and have a perimeter setup and they just get randomly attacked at night by zombie type people. Reminds me a bit of a 40k story i ready about the Guard defending a position against orks.

Wrathiel
20-10-2008, 04:14
When the Chronicles of riddick trailer first started, I nearly poo-ed myself because I thought it was going to be a 40k movie.

If we consider books, "Nightwings" by robert silverberg and "Shadow and claw:first book of the long sun" by gene wolfe both seem to describe life in the imperium better than any of the people who write 40k novels.

devik
20-10-2008, 04:46

Also the movie "Soldier" staring Kurt Russell makes me imagine what it must be like to be a soldier in the Cadian army.

Which is amusing, because the book Starship Troopers is completely and utterly different than the movie. They're more like Space Marines in the book.

devik
20-10-2008, 04:48
Zulu. But I play Praetorians. :p

Damned good movie, classic!

Victomorga
20-10-2008, 04:49
Casshern:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9fGI90qdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emYqURahUKI&feature=related

anybody into the imperium in general, the ad mech, and DKoK in particular should check out this movie.

neXus6
20-10-2008, 04:56
Hahaha, Casshern is another one is was going to say but I decided to mention Appleseed instead.

Casshern is certainly worthy of mention though.
:cool:

Eldramesha
20-10-2008, 05:08
Eldrad is Neo from the Matrix. He's got all kinds of wacky psycho powers, legions of devoted followers, can see things others can't and sacrifices himself in battle with the ultimate enemy. I also hate both of them equally (and I've played Eldar 11 years...)

The Thirdspace Aliens from Babylon 5 remind me of the Enslavers while the Shadows are literally equal to Chaos and the Vorlons are like the Old Ones only still alive. Minbari are like Eldar but less pointy.

Triggerdog
20-10-2008, 05:13
Anyoen who mentioned Equilibrium should also check out THX 1138. You'd enjoy it.

anyone that likes Equilibrium or should read Fahrenhiet 451 considering how much they ripped off of it

TheWarSmith
20-10-2008, 05:23
So massively true about Event Horizon being like the warp. I remember first seeing that and it was one of the first movies that actually genuinely scared me.

If we're allowed TV show choices, then I think Battlestar Gallactica is a great choice.

Firaxin
20-10-2008, 05:39
Children of Men is one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Triggerdog
20-10-2008, 05:44
Children of Men is one I haven't seen mentioned yet.

I thought about that one but I couldnt think of how exactly it would fit.

ColdWind
20-10-2008, 08:17
Interesting, this thread could be retitled 'what films have most influenced the development of the 40K universe' and still make total sense :)

I'd have to add 300 - The Spartans ARE marines in outlook and lifestyle, they just lack power armour and genetic augmentation - though they did practice genetic selection, discarding children deemed unfit at birth.

Add to that Terminator 4 - I know it's not out yet (or even finished production) but the whole thing is going to take place in the post-apocalypse world glimpsed in the other films.

Radium
20-10-2008, 08:39
Mad max, for anything Ork-related (and GorkaMorka is just a ruleset based on the movie).

Half-breed
20-10-2008, 09:19
Stalingrad (German movie). IG fighting against traitors in hellish urban setting. Add lots of factories, officers disregard of life and penal legions and it does resemble 40k.

Black Hawk Down. Now that I think of it it tells about Company of Marines doing a hit-and-run attack just to be pinned down when traitors drop their troops. Marines don’t leave anyone behind.

GodofWarTx
20-10-2008, 10:09
300 - Very Marine like feel.
Enemy at the gates - Gets a good gritty look at the unfortunate situations some guardsmen get put in
Event Horizon - Great gothic ship, very cool look at the horrors of the warp
Aliens- The horror of the hive mind.
Dark Knight - Bare with me here, but i think it has a nice twisted view of some of the moral agents put into play in the 40k universe. The joker would be right and happy being a harbringer of malal. A god born just to watch everyone else burn. No plans. Just chaos.

Starship Troopers book - Takes a nobler look at the Marines, far less leftist than the director of the movie took the book. The movies battle scenes look pretty good for what a rookie guardsman squad looks like at the beginning and as it turns into a crack grizzled group of veterans who know how not to die.

Im trying to think of a good movie portraying the rise and fall of horus, but failing miserably at this hour.

arcane
20-10-2008, 10:40
One could argue that there are parallels between anakin skywalker and horus. However I prefer Miltons Paradise Lost. I know its not a film but the horus heresy is to me the epitome of the war in heaven. With Lucifer being the most favoured of angels falling from grace as a result of his own ambition and misguided pride.

With that in mind I would put forward the Prohecy. It has it all, angels fighting to the death, being impaled on spikes, religeous debate and the way the characters behave screams INQUISITOR!

Another film that I really think sums up the some of the darkness of 40k, DE especially would be Dark City.

The second renaissance section of the animatrix is quite good for tau players as well as ad-mech fanbois.

sliganian
20-10-2008, 14:11
Too bad the both Starship Troopers and Event Horizon were ultimately horrendous movies. I gave SST two chances, watching it in the the theatre then 5 years later on DVD thinking "Maybe it didn't suck as bad as I remembered". Oh yeah, it did.

Event Horizon annoyed me because there was so much coolness to the idea and concepts, but it all fell apart and got stupid by the end. Grr! I really wish I could find a book of Event Horizon, as that might make for a more coherent view of the movie concepts.

Templar Ben
20-10-2008, 14:25

That is the best representation of city fighting against a dug in force I have seen in a long time.

x-esiv-4c
20-10-2008, 14:35

Not so much the setting but the bleakness and hopelessness. Although i'm sure there are autocratic administrations on certain imperial planets, the inscessant propaganda, "minute of hate" and relentless routine in squalid conditions really ring true.

Lord Inquisitor
20-10-2008, 14:50
Oh, I got one:

City of Lost Children

neXus6
20-10-2008, 15:32
Too bad the both Starship Troopers and Event Horizon were ultimately horrendous movies. I gave SST two chances, watching it in the the theatre then 5 years later on DVD thinking "Maybe it didn't suck as bad as I remembered". Oh yeah, it did.

Event Horizon annoyed me because there was so much coolness to the idea and concepts, but it all fell apart and got stupid by the end. Grr! I really wish I could find a book of Event Horizon, as that might make for a more coherent view of the movie concepts.

I recon with views like that your gonna be in the minority round these parts.
:p ;)

Bunnahabhain
20-10-2008, 15:52
Alexander Nevsky.

THE Imperial Propaganda movie. 1938, score by Prokofiev, film by Eisentstein, extras by the Red Army.

An Imperial dictatorship calling to its subjects to Hate, and to rise up in arms against the invader. Fight, and you will either live or die, but either way, you'll be a hero. The enemy are less than human. We have suffered, but they will suffer more. It really is the Archetypal piece to describe the Eastern front of WW2, which is one of the strongest influences on the 40 K setting.

That, and as it's set in the 1250's it has rather alot of close combat in it, which is also very 40Kish

Fist of Crimson
20-10-2008, 15:57
Soldier and Event horizon I agree with completely.

(The?) Warriors: I always got a necromunda gang sort of feel from this film. Good film anyway.

Lord Malorne
20-10-2008, 16:06
Judge dredd (sp) :P No one has ever agreed with me but I always got the impression of a hive there along with the life of luxury at the top and the gangs at the bottom...and of course the arbites ;).

Virus (I think) a german or russian boat is 'attacked' by an alien virus that makes the machines all crazy and technorganic! chos there.

Event horizon, starship troopers are also ones that spring to mind.

totgeboren
20-10-2008, 20:40
I just saw Enemy at the Gates, and now I have almost finished painting my entire guard army! :D

Just gief plastic gasmask greatcoats already!

ofc, Event Horizon, Starship troopers, Alien 2, predator and Apocalypse Now are all movies that can inspire 40k-esqe thoughts to name but a few. Depends on what army you are after.

Firaxin
20-10-2008, 21:51

Cities of Death, Chaos/Rebels, a bit of Inquisition. Hopeless time of ending atmosphere. etc.

HsojVvad
20-10-2008, 23:13
[QUOTE=Lisiecki;3023542]Really,
Wow, first off, it must be nice to be able to be insulted on a message board, when no ones talking about you
Perhaps you've never read any of the background for any of 40k, ever. I think the idea of people who do horrible horrible things, and who are then rewarded for it1, and whos name lives on in song for it2, is pretty fitting to the feel of 40k.

No 40K is not all Hugs and rainbows. But it's not about drugging people, raping them molesting girls, chopping them up into little pieces either? I still do not see your point? Please explain to me how this applies to 40K?

MasterDecoy
20-10-2008, 23:21
perhaps a bit of constitine (where he goes to hell) could be paralaled to the warp, as well as Teknoman or tekkaman in some places (sort of space marineish with nid and chaos infulences)

Perhaps a bit of a stretch but I felt War of the worlds (the new tom cruise one) especially the scene where the army is just fighting over the hill could be linked with necrons/eldar I.E ineffective weaponry and hopelessness or cloverfield when the army is making its first push linked to nidzilla (ok ok, I know every giant monster movie would give this feel, but cloverfield did a really good job with the special effects)

HsojVvad
20-10-2008, 23:35
Did anyone mentione Alien, and Aliens? The first like a Lictor Stalking the 2nd for the for IG

arcane
20-10-2008, 23:40
No 40K is not all Hugs and rainbows. But it's not about drugging people, raping them molesting girls, chopping them up into little pieces either? I still do not see your point? Please explain to me how this applies to 40K?

If you are said unfortunate little girl. A devout Slaaneshi would do that to you. And if you are lucky, in that order. :(

Speaking of Slaanesh. Any of the Hellraiser films make a fantastic primer as to the allure of the dark prince. a few choice quotes:

"I thought I'd gone to the limits. I hadn't. The Cenobites gave me an experience beyond limits... pain and pleasure, indivisible. "

"Who are you?" "Explorers in the further regions of experience. Demons to some. Angels to others"

Lisiecki
20-10-2008, 23:48
[QUOTE=Lisiecki;3023542]

Yes, your correct those things have no place what so ever, at all, even a little bit in the world of Warhammer 40,000
Tell you what, ill use pictures to help you out here.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/lisieckiart/eldar.jpg

Karla Homolka, participated in the grousum murder of at least 3 young women.
She was then rewarded and let free by the Caunuk government, allowed to live another day
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/lisieckiart/Slaanesh_Greater_Daemon_Keeper_Of_S.gif

Also, her name lives on in song.
Now lets see, people who do horrible horrible things, and are praised in song for it http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i235/lisieckiart/SpaceWolfTerminator-01-001preview.jpg

Is that better,
or should i just make a list of everycyber punk, darkfuture, and war moive and say that those are shadow run.

If you want to take part in the adventure then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Baneboss
20-10-2008, 23:55
http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

jason_sation
21-10-2008, 00:05
I just saw Enemy at the Gates, and now I have almost finished painting my entire guard army! :D

Just gief plastic gasmask greatcoats already!

ofc, Event Horizon, Starship troopers, Alien 2, predator and Apocalypse Now are all movies that can inspire 40k-esqe thoughts to name but a few. Depends on what army you are after.

Enemy at the gates makes me wish I could deploy my Cadian Snipers individually around the battlefield.

Finn
21-10-2008, 01:19
I can't believe it took until page 3 before Enemy at the Gates was mentioned. But not only does that movie remind me of the poorly equipped IG and their commissars, it makes me want to play Axis and Allies something fierce...

Perhaps another is Screamers. There are parts of the movie that are reminiscent of 40K in terrain, weapons, and general atmosphere (although 40k doesn't "have" nukes), and the screamers themselves sort of resemble a cross between a genestealer infestation and some sort of mechanical horror. Maybe just a mechanical genestealer infestation, if that makes sense.

Riddick does indeed have some elements that remind me heavily of 40K - the Necros are what I imagine Chaos would be like if they went wholesale on the creation of cults (worlds at a time). The fear of them in the movie is definitely something like I imagine the fear of Chaos is in the Imperium. As an afterthought, I was under the impression there was going to be at least one more Riddick movie...

HsojVvad
22-10-2008, 01:40
I see your point Lisiecki now, but I still don't think it is appropriate on forums where little kids are.

don't get me started on the canuk goverment. By the way it wasn't the Federal Canadian Goverment that screwed it up and let her out free, it was the Ontario Provincial Goverment. The NDP to be exact.

MrBo114
22-10-2008, 03:02
first of all,DUNE look carefully at the atreides uniform collars(both on caladan and dune proper)...double eagle.nuff said.
second if you like zulu (or older movies) watch the lion and the wind.sean connery as a muslim tribal leader,john wayne as theodore roosevelt.kinda slow until the americans decide to get colonial.(and funny as hell to hear sean connery try to sound like a muslim with a scottish accent..)

Scholam
22-10-2008, 03:14
Event Horizon

This movie so perfect captures what I think a daemonship or warp-tainted ship would be like it should be adopted as part of 40K canon. At one stage, Sam Neill even says that the experimental faster-than-light drive of the ship transported it into 'a dimension of pure chaos (!)'. Perhaps mankind's first unfortunate experiment with warp travel?

Triszin The Wrath God
22-10-2008, 03:24
the movie Mutant chronicles , actaully really amazing film. reminds me of imperial guard with inquisitors battle chaos mutants.

check it out

Mutant Chronicles
http://www.mutantchroniclesthemovie.com/

arghh bane boss you beat me to it

Cypher, the Emperor
22-10-2008, 04:10
I see your point Lisiecki now, but I still don't think it is appropriate on forums where little kids are.

don't get me started on the canuk goverment. By the way it wasn't the Federal Canadian Goverment that screwed it up and let her out free, it was the Ontario Provincial Goverment. The NDP to be exact.

40k isn't apropriate for little kids. This is the game where the Inquisition (the "good" guys) run concentration camps where they slaughter psykers to the Emperor (another "good" guy). I mean, they hunted down all of the emperors descendants and turned them into bullets! The space marines aren't exactly great people, they torture, murder and enslave humans without a thought. The Eldar are bordering on a nazi-like xenophobia and the Tau are bent on brainwashing all other sentient life to join their empire.

And those are just the good guys.

Feor
22-10-2008, 05:04
I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to point out Judge Dredd as a parrallel for arbites in a Hive.

Fifth Element (might have been mentioned, too lazy to go back and look) is also an excellent example, to me, of what it would probably feel like in a Hive world, just without as many flying cars.

Kind of obscure, but there's an Anime called Venus Wars that's got a pretty good "40K vibe" to it. Nothing specific (I guess you could call it hive gangers press-ganged into the Ravenwing :p) but deffiently gave me that feeling.

Starchild
22-10-2008, 05:44
Which film best captures the essence of 40k?

-The Name of the Rose for Ecclesiarchy costumes and general medieval madness;
-Event Horizon for possession by warp entities;
-Terminator for Necron stuff (already mentioned);
-Resident Evil for obvious reasons (already mentioned);

I could go on, but I think we get the picture. (pun slap! groan...) :p

I can't believe it took 3 pages for someone to point out Judge Dredd as a parrallel for arbites in a Hive.
That's interesting, because Judge Dredd used to be a Games Workshop role-playing game based on the comic book. So the inspiration link is definitely there, within the very same company in fact. ;)

CommissarKlink
22-10-2008, 06:47
Dark Knight

Exactly. The Joker is the best example of Chaos Undivided you will ever find.

I'll also have to agree with Brazil, Enemy at the Gates, Event Horizon and Starship Troopers.

Ooh, how about Ralph Bakshi's Wizards? That movie traumatized me so bad when I was 8.

Sekhmet
22-10-2008, 08:48
There's a lot of people listing random war movies because they're about war and 40k has (only) war in it.

There's a lot of people listing random sci-fi / cyber-punk because the aliens look somewhat similar, or they have police in it, or they have an investigator/detective in it.

I mean really... do they really best capture the essence of the 41st millenium?

Brucopeloso
22-10-2008, 09:32
Really,

1.www.epinions.com/search/?search_vertical=all&search_string=Homolka http://www.canadiancrc.com/Karla_Homolka_plea_bargain_folly.aspx
2. http://www.myspace.com/mariopompetti

I think mentioning REAL LIFE serial killers and rapists in a forum dedicated to a hobby is uncalled for andin pretty bad taste.

No matter how grim and dark the hobby background is it is fictional while real life people suffered and died at the hands of these criminals and this is not a laughing matter.

HsojVvad
22-10-2008, 13:55
40k isn't apropriate for little kids. This is the game where the Inquisition (the "good" guys) run concentration camps where they slaughter psykers to the Emperor (another "good" guy). I mean, they hunted down all of the emperors descendants and turned them into bullets! The space marines aren't exactly great people, they torture, murder and enslave humans without a thought. The Eldar are bordering on a nazi-like xenophobia and the Tau are bent on brainwashing all other sentient life to join their empire.

And who is this game being introduced too? Ever see the WD adds with little kids in the store getting painting lessons? I been to 3 different GW stores and all had kids under 10.

So either posts like Lisiek made shouldn't be made, or GW will need a Mature rating on it's games now, something I don't think they want. If this was a computer game, that is what it would be getting here in Canada.

Sorry for taking the OP off topic.

I agree with the new Terminator 4 movie coming out. That should be like Imperial Guard against Necrons.

Frostea
22-10-2008, 14:06
The D Day landing from Saving Private Ryan felt certainly a lot like Imperial Guards rushing entrenched positions of a bunch of traitor stormtroopers.

ChrisMurray
22-10-2008, 15:10
I agree with event horizon, I even slowed it down and went through the scene of what happened to the previous crew frame by frame.

Darnok
22-10-2008, 16:22
Mad Max and Waterworld for Orks in general and Gorkamorka especially.

Then Serenity (and Firefly as well) captures a gritty future which very much matches my idea of the 40K universe apart from all the war zones. There must be a civil life beyond war, and Serenity/Firefly catches it.

Somebody mentioned Star Wars only as a joke, but I think many scenes in Episode 2 and 3 are very 40Kish. Clone Troopers at war are just like I envision Tau.And my vision of Battlefleet Gothic and the like was heavily influenced by Stare Wars as well (and Babylon 5, by the way).

Then Matrix, 1, 2 and 3. The scenes in the "real world" are 40K pure.

tattoo_dan
22-10-2008, 17:06
How about Aliens (the second) with the marines ?
The first scenes of Enemy at the gates for sure.
Starship Troopers and Soldier are the most obvious ones...

DoktorZinieztro
22-10-2008, 17:11
I think mentioning REAL LIFE serial killers and rapists in a forum dedicated to a hobby is uncalled for andin pretty bad taste.

No matter how grim and dark the hobby background is it is fictional while real life people suffered and died at the hands of these criminals and this is not a laughing matter.

But then again, a lot of the fluff is full of mentions to horrible deeds, as graphic as the writers can possibly get way with. They are NOT laughing matter either, because if you laugh at those... You have problems.

Frannkly many of the thing I read about 40K fluff, I read to be shocked at the utter inhumanity of the act... It's a wee bit morbid, but the again the imagery alone is encompassed by this word "morbid"... Posing as "heroic", but morbid in nature.

Really, the references used are so obscure that many did not even pay the slightest notice. But I would agree that pairing Slaanesh to to real life debauchery and murder is going a bit far and speak volumes of human nature as a whole, as well as being an obvious attempt to derail the topic into something not dealing with MOVIES.

Finally, to be fair it's not movies capturing the 40k vibes, but rather what movies did 40k got its inspiration from.

I'd say those are very few, if only taking the most recent ones:

Alien and Aliens. Terminator. Star Wars (yep, it did, but went for the wonky side before going for the grim side and foregoing the "original" source), maybe Predator could be put there... But that would just about it.

Then, most of the 40K ideas came from books.

Still, reading what many individuals perceived the "40K essence" to be, is rather entertaining. I mena, some things are simple associations, but others are real efforts to forcibly squeeze a thing into the 40K mould.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 17:46

Well, thank you for aggreiing that I had a point, i really dont do these things just to be shocking.
And I mean, I just dont care about the kids... The questions was "what movies remind you of 40k" thats the answer

Ah, see i did not know that. I was following it in the papers, and was BOGGLED when she was given a plea bargen (or what ever the canadian term is)

So, all the mentions of Saving Private Ryan and E at the Gate are in better taste?
Those movies were at least baised on real, and specific events.

So either posts like Lisiek made shouldn't be made, or GW will need a Mature rating on it's games now, something I don't think they want. If this was a computer game, that is what it would be getting here in Canada.

If you would like to give me a preapproved list of answers to questions that are given, that would be cool. Other wise, don't tell me what to do, when every one just lists every grim dark movie. Including one that hasnt even come out yet.

[/QUOTE]

But I would agree that pairing Slaanesh to to real life debauchery and murder is going a bit far and speak volumes of human nature as a whole, as well as being an obvious attempt to derail the topic into something not dealing with MOVIES.

*COUGH* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_(film)) *COUGH*
Please don't take credit for what i was, or was not thinking.
IF you read my initial post, i was, infact, talking about movies.
Again, just because i didnt list every grim dark, dark future, movie where people fight bugs or robots, dosn't, to the best of my mind, make my answer any less vaild

Sekhmet
22-10-2008, 18:37

So you enjoy pretending to rip people's armies apart with the most gruesome weapons ever, most likely exterminate said armies' families and torture the survivors, but when something like historical murder happens, you get all defensive? I mean, have you ever seen someone torn apart by a chainsaw? Ripped apart by a .50 cal round that explodes AFTER it enters your body? I haven't, but in the game, your army is doing it left and right.

War is not a glorious thing. Thousands die, many are non-combatants. Many movies and stories listed in this thread cover issues like that. Saving Private Ryan may be fictional, but it revolves around established historical events, including the D-Day landings. More people died in that one act of the movie than all the "real" movies/events mentioned earlier by Lisiecki. Why don't you protest them? Why isn't that in bad taste?

And who is this game being introduced too? Ever see the WD adds with little kids in the store getting painting lessons? I been to 3 different GW stores and all had kids under 10.

40k shouldn't be for little kids. All they see is something like Halo, space marines running around and beating up the aliens. They don't see into the "reality" of the fictional universe.

Lame Duck
22-10-2008, 18:57
40k shouldn't be for little kids. All they see is something like Halo, space marines running around and beating up the aliens. They don't see into the "reality" of the fictional universe.

40K shouldn't be for kids? The game at the end of the day is just a step away from using G.I joes with your friends when you were a kid.

That's the same as saying army men (you know, the green and sometimes grey men) shouldn't be for kids because of the "reality" and horrors that occured in WW2.

JLBeady
22-10-2008, 19:17
War is not a glorious thing. Thousands die, many are non-combatants. Many movies and stories listed in this thread cover issues like that. Saving Private Ryan may be fictional, but it revolves around established historical events, including the D-Day landings. More people died in that one act of the movie than all the "real" movies/events mentioned earlier by Lisiecki. Why don't you protest them? Why isn't that in bad taste?

As Stalin said, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. It is only because we see the participants as faceless and fictional with no possible relationship to reality that we are able to stomach such a grim background as 40K and revel in playing games with toy soldiers set in that world. Beer and Pretzels anyone? Uh, sorry not for me, the thought of that one Cadian Guardsman being eviscerated and then eaten by the Lictor made me lose my appetite. ;)

Back on topic. The question is what film do I feel captures the essence of 40K? Starship Troopers. Sure it's glamed up (Thank you PV), but the government is as militaristic as any in the 40K universe. It's Facist. They are willing to throw countless numbers. The bugs are the tyranids (Hive mind included), the mobile infantry are the IG (Cadian carapace armor is a dead ringer for the MI wore in the movie). Plasma and flame weapons abound, they even use Atomic hand grenades! The Officers all look like commissars and they even have sanctioned psykers!

Still credit Aliens in my opinion for giving us a vision of what a dark grim future set against an unforgiving universe could be like.

Sekhmet
22-10-2008, 20:50
As Stalin said, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic. It is only because we see the participants as faceless and fictional with no possible relationship to reality that we are able to stomach such a grim background as 40K and revel in playing games with toy soldiers set in that world. Beer and Pretzels anyone? Uh, sorry not for me, the thought of that one Cadian Guardsman being eviscerated and then eaten by the Lictor made me lose my appetite. ;)

I was actually thinking of that quote as I wrote my post.

Back on topic. The question is what film do I feel captures the essence of 40K? Starship Troopers. Sure it's glamed up (Thank you PV), but the government is as militaristic as any in the 40K universe. It's Facist. They are willing to throw countless numbers. The bugs are the tyranids (Hive mind included), the mobile infantry are the IG (Cadian carapace armor is a dead ringer for the MI wore in the movie). Plasma and flame weapons abound, they even use Atomic hand grenades! The Officers all look like commissars and they even have sanctioned psykers!

Still credit Aliens in my opinion for giving us a vision of what a dark grim future set against an unforgiving universe could be like.
I'm not so sure about Aliens. It's not a grim dark future, it's actually a very bright one, albeit a slightly cynical one. Sure there are major companies running everything, but that doesn't mean anything. An unforgiving universe? There's only two other life forms that pose even a remote threat, one species went nearly extinct and are basically giant bugs while the other doesn't care about wars or politics, just hunting.

40K shouldn't be for kids? The game at the end of the day is just a step away from using G.I joes with your friends when you were a kid.

That's the same as saying army men (you know, the green and sometimes grey men) shouldn't be for kids because of the "reality" and horrors that occured in WW2.
Real guns are only a step away from using nerf guns. Sex is a step away from kissing. Some kids can handle it, but others could very well be traumatized.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 21:14
40K shouldn't be for kids?

I see no reasion for kids not to play it.
Although, i dont think the revelation that
"Hay kids, some people, kill other people" is going to shock them to deeply

As Stalin said, one death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.

Yes, he did, and it matters what Stalin said, why?

I'm not so sure about Aliens. It's not a grim dark future, it's actually a very bright one, albeit a slightly cynical one.

I would tend to aggree

Bugs infecting two planets, really dosnt scream "Epic battle for the future of humanity"

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 21:49
double post

MasterDecoy
22-10-2008, 22:18
sure you could just say that people are mentioning any sci fi or war movie becouse it slightly resembles WH.

But warhammer is a sci fi war game. Funny that.

As a wise man once said "Stealing from one source is plagerisim, stealing from many is research"

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 22:25
sure you could just say that people are mentioning any sci fi or war movie becouse it slightly resembles WH.
But warhammer is a sci fi war game. Funny that.
As a wise man once said "Stealing from one source is plagerisim, stealing from many is research"

True

I just don't understand why an answer that isnt
A) a war movie
or
B) A grim dark future movie is wrong
is some how wrong

also

A) how the xenomorph infections on two planets (well, really one planet, but well pretend that LV-426 was a planet, and not a really,really tiny moon)
B) a movie that has yet to be released
can be known to best capture the essence of 40k

and why Dune is listed in conjunction with God Emperor Leto Atreides.
caus, you know
Leto once hes become the God Emperor has never, ever, ever been portrayed on film

HsojVvad
22-10-2008, 22:29
Ah, see i did not know that. I was following it in the papers, and was BOGGLED when she was given a plea bargen (or what ever the canadian term is)

If you would like to give me a preapproved list of answers to questions that are given, that would be cool. Other wise, don't tell me what to do, when every one just lists every grim dark movie. Including one that hasnt even come out yet.

The post you made hit a sore spot for me. To see someone mention it made no sense for me so I got really upset. I am not trying to tell you what to do. I just didn't see no reason for the mention of it. Someone said Slaneesh, and I understand why you said it.

Why do people keep saying Aliens is not a good choice? I find it a good choice to represent a Lictor stalking it's prey. Also Alien 2 is good for the Imperial Guard relpresentation as well.

I saw Star Wars Revenge of the Sith to represent the Tau with Clone Troopers. I always see Tau as bright fibrant colours, and Star Wars has bright fibrant colours.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 22:37
The post you made hit a sore spot for me. To see someone mention it made no sense for me so I got really upset. I am not trying to tell you what to do. I just didn't see no reason for the mention of it. Someone said Slaneesh, and I understand why you said it.
I saw Star Wars Revenge of the Sith to represent the Tau with Clone Troopers. I always see Tau as bright fibrant colours, and Star Wars has bright fibrant colours.

Ya, im sorry for... Aggreing with you?

Why do people keep saying Aliens is not a good choice? I find it a good choice to represent a Lictor stalking it's prey. Also Alien 2 is good for the Imperial Guard relpresentation as well.

Um, well this is just me, but the "essence" of the 41st millennium really isn't summed up for me in a future where people have pretty good lives and... well thats it really, the standered of living presented in Aliens seems to be pretty darn nice.

The only planet, to ever be shown to have Aliens on it, is Earth, so there really not much of a galactic threat.

Lord Inquisitor
22-10-2008, 23:12
The only planet, to ever be shown to have Aliens on it, is Earth, so there really not much of a galactic threat.
Um... Have you seen Alien?

Coasty
22-10-2008, 23:19

I'm guessing not, as the first film in the series to be set on Earth was AvP... though our little blue marble did get a walk-on part in the end of the fourth one.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 23:20

The movie with 1 (one) xenomorph on two spaceships?
or Aliens where there are more, and it takes place on planetoid with half the surface area of the united states?
or Alien 3 with a hand full of aliens on a prison ship.
Or Alien 4 that takes place on a ship?

I'm guessing not, as the first film in the series to be set on Earth was AvP... though our little blue marble did get a walk-on part in the end of the fourth one.

Have you seen Alien?

The only time that the Xenomorphs have been shown on a planet is when there on earth in the AVP movies

Rabid Bunny 666
22-10-2008, 23:28
I'm gonna go with the first major firefight in the Chronicles of Riddick, the close range firefights in the streets is what i always pictured 40k to be like, close up slaughter :evilgrin:

and as mentioned before, SST, Event Horizon, Enemy at the Gates.

Coasty
22-10-2008, 23:39
The movie with 1 (one) xenomorph on two spaceships?
or Aliens where there are more, and it takes place on planetoid with half the surface area of the united states?
or Alien 3 with a hand full of aliens on a prison ship.
Or Alien 4 that takes place on a ship?

Have you seen Alien?

The only time that the Xenomorphs have been shown on a planet is when there on earth in the AVP movies

The first two films both involve the same planet (not planetoid, but planet. With colonists on it in Aliens) and it ain't Earth. The third film is on a penal colony, not a ship.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 23:43
The first two films both involve the same planet (not planetoid, but planet. With colonists on it in Aliens) and it ain't Earth. The third film is on a penal colony, not a ship.

Really?
Its a Planet?
I mean, is the same size as Pluto
And Pluto is a planetoid
unless all those astronomers are wrong

Coasty
22-10-2008, 23:47
Astronomers? Meh. They spent ages arguing about that whole planet/oid thing and could easily change their minds again. As far as I'm concerned, if it's big enough to bother terraforming (or even be possible to terraform) it's a damned planet, no matter what Ridley Scott says.

Doesn't really change the fact that the whole point of the Tyranids' aesthetic seems to be to evoke memories of Aliens.

Adra
22-10-2008, 23:52
No Country for Old Men= Culexus Assassin in a way

Ok.....what? Im not sure if your being serious or just trying to look like you are into complex films but you reallly have to explain that one.

Also Nids may not look much like the Alien anymore but consider that Genestealers where the first nids GW made. They have a great many aspects that are like the Alien. They look very much like them and they are found sneaking around ships just like in the Alien films. Also they reproduce my infecting other living creatures and making them into slaves for generations of more pure Genestealers. They also have a parody of the Alien Queen in the form of the Patriarch or Genestealer 'King' if you like. They are very different in some ways but its obvious GW took their inspiration from the Alien films.

Lisiecki
22-10-2008, 23:58
Astronomers? As far as I'm concerned, if it's big enough to bother terraforming (or even be possible to terraform) it's a damned planet, no matter what Ridley Scott says.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize that you were defining "planet" as
"any thing Coasty wants to be a planet"
really kind of hard to argue with that

IG_Airborne_Ranger
23-10-2008, 00:15
Does anyone else consider 40k to be a "post apocalyptic" setting but in a huge grand galactic scale? I mean just think of all the hive worlds and underhives. Although have some form of "civilization", a lot of people living there have to fight for survival especially in the underhives. And then there's all the ongoing battles happening in every corner of the Imperium.

El Haroldo
23-10-2008, 00:17
Ok.....what? Im not sure if your being serious or just trying to look like you are into complex films but you reallly have to explain that one.

Watch the damn film, before you accuse someone of trying to look elitist. The main character spends the film trying to escape a hired killer, a man without remorse, pity or any sort of emotion. One might go so far as to say..soulless

They are very different in some ways but its obvious GW took their inspiration from the Alien films.

Undeniable. Look at the last gen Hive Tyrant. spray it black, give it a light boltgun metal drybrush, black ink and gloss varnish, and anyone who didn't know 40k would assume it was a model of the alien queen.

Lexington
23-10-2008, 00:34
Ralph Bakshi's Wizards (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076929/) has always reminded me of 40K somewhat. Not so much because of the setting or plot, but due to the way it takes visual cues from a smorgasbord of fantasy and sci-fi influences to create something that's all it's own.

shadowtemplar16
23-10-2008, 00:58
Blade Runner!!!

Going a little bit off topic, I think that "Army of Darkness" is a perfect movie for fantasy:
Empire vs. Vampire Counts!!!
They even have a steam tank!!!!
:D:D:D

id actually say that runs more along the lines of the inquisition..

anyways:

for your guardsmen out there: Enemy at the Gates, Starship troopers

Alien is obviously some nid or genestealer action!

predator is kroot meets eldar

inquisition Gorky Park, The Exorcist, Blade Runner, Constantine

cant think of much else at the moment...

HsojVvad
23-10-2008, 01:10
How about the 2 Underworld movies? Not so much for Space Marines but more from an Inquistion stand point? You have the Circles that go around with plots agaisnt anthour faction.

You have the Head Vampire witch would be like the top level of the Inquition or the upper levels of Terra. Then the main character would be like the Inquisitor.

Christine
23-10-2008, 09:34
Watched Judge Dredd last night and have to say it felt quite 40k arbites but tbh I'd only thought that because I'd read this thread beforehand.

Adra
23-10-2008, 10:26
Watch the damn film, before you accuse someone of trying to look elitist. The main character spends the film trying to escape a hired killer, a man without remorse, pity or any sort of emotion. One might go so far as to say..soulless

Ok you win most tenuous link between 40k and a film. Plenty of films depict a killer in this way, cold and emotionless. Hell, apart from the killer bit, you have just described every character Keanu Reeves has played since Bill & Ted's Bogus Yourney. ;)

And I have seen the film. Really would be silly of me to comment otherwise wouldnt it? :)

Griffin
23-10-2008, 10:48
That new movie with Vin Diesel, I think it's based on the Novel Babylon Children - Babylon A.D. Blasted hellscape, people living in slums, survival of the fittest.

Tokamak
23-10-2008, 11:43
SERENITY!

Imperium vs Chaos with ork tech.

Loads of 'cowboy' planets as well.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=0BvP99-Ci6k

judgey
23-10-2008, 12:50
I cant believe nobody has Mentioned Escape from New York/L.A. NY for it's hiveworld like quality, and LA for the oppressive government (no swearing, red meat, marriages to be approved by the department of health etc.).

The one that does stick vividly in my mind however is Aliens. Whenever I face 'nids, I think of that movie.

Tonberry
23-10-2008, 12:58
I haven't read it yet, but the latest Ben Counter Grey Knights book sounds alot like Gladiator.

Fuzz
23-10-2008, 13:13
The Scenes from Enemy at the gates would make an awesome ground in the 41st for a battle of CSM (slight bias them being my choice) or tau but the opponent would have to be IG just to watch the amount of dead rack up to triple figures faster than you can say "for the imperium!"

ehlijen
23-10-2008, 13:14
Event horizon.

Warp travel leading straight to hell? 8 pointed star on the drive core? How is that not 40k?

Sekhmet
23-10-2008, 17:18

Wow. No you weren't being elitist, you're just stretching it so much that you're relying on two different definitions of the word soulless and somehow trying to equate them when they're nothing alike.

The way you're using soulless is emotionless. In 40k terms, they'd still have a soul, regardless of how emotionless they are. Soulless in 40k literally means without a soul, but a soulless person in 40k can easily have emotions such as joy, pity, remorse, sadness, uncertainty, etc.

Fuzz
23-10-2008, 19:04
Pretty Woman!!

Demrush
23-10-2008, 19:14
That new movie with Vin Diesel, I think it's based on the Novel Babylon Children - Babylon A.D. Blasted hellscape, people living in slums, survival of the fittest.

I saw the movie...although poorly done, some parts of it (mainly the beginning) do somewhat trascend into the harsh 40k style of living but as a whole, the story is way different.

Since everyone is comming up with wacky tacky ideas, I'll put one forth!

Blade 2; those half-vampire mutants look like gene-stealers to me lol...remember that scene in the sewers, well take out the vampires, add terminators and there you have it!! Warhammer 40k deathwatch!

HsojVvad
23-10-2008, 20:05
I just saw the Hulk movie yesterday. I like the 1st one better. But anyways, not a 40K movie pers sey, but since some people are talking about some aspects of a movie, when Abomalation, I believe his name to be, was seen for the first time for me, I thought Chaos, then I thought it would make a good Chaos Oblitarator.

luchog
23-10-2008, 23:24
The Hellraiser series.

It's dark, violent, over-the-top, and retcons enormous chunks of it's background with every new release.

Lisiecki
24-10-2008, 02:46
The Hellraiser series.

It's dark, violent, over-the-top, and retcons enormous chunks of it's background with every new release.

Ohh that's good

although im done here for now, i mistaingly thought the title was "what films best capture the essence of 40k"

Not, "what movies remind you of 40k a little bit kinda sorta"

Captain Hajime
24-10-2008, 04:03
I'm gonna go with the first major firefight in the Chronicles of Riddick, the close range firefights in the streets is what i always pictured 40k to be like, close up slaughter :evilgrin:

and as mentioned before, SST, Event Horizon, Enemy at the Gates.

I will agree with this Chronicles of Riddick there are many elements that fit 40K

The Rogue Trader
24-10-2008, 10:56
Has anyone mentioned Metropolis yet?

Huge hive world, masses of humanity being fed into a system that doesn't care...

arcane
24-10-2008, 11:41
Ohh that's good

although im done here for now, i mistaingly thought the title was "what films best capture the essence of 40k"

Not, "what movies remind you of 40k a little bit kinda sorta"

I dont think any one film can capture the essence of a game that has shamelessly taken a little bit of everything from the buffet of inspiration. ;)

warflag
24-10-2008, 16:40
I dont think any one film can capture the essence of a game that has shamelessly taken a little bit of everything from the buffet of inspiration. ;)

Very true. They have more than obviously been inspired by all sci-fi stuff based around war or armoured conflicts available at the time.

I will agree with most mentioned movies people have brought up.
Actually I quite enjoyed this thread and read almost al of it, as some stuff I didnīt know yet really caught my attention. Casshern for example. I remeber having seen an anime the name of which I had forgotten. That was a cool film, and now my search has come to an end. (Try to find an anime without knowing the title, great sports ;) )
Also Mutant Chronicles.

So thatīs why the rather unhealthy debate about that hidious crime in Canada came rather surprising for me. And I want to say something about it, though itīs OT. The defensive attitude of the poster who brought it up is one thing. Another one is the fact, that people who feel repelled by the connection of a war torn universe and itīs battles and a perverted crime are then attacked because they donīt get why these two topics should have any resemblance.
I have seen my share of films about perverted criminals. And I know the demons in 40k are a mirror for our dark side, our lust for the abnormal and immorality. Never though would I have thought about parallels between the movies Seven, From Hell, or whatever depictions of perversions that are close to my interpretation of demonhood, to the 40k universe.
So that also left me a bit disturbed. And no wonder imo, a lot of others.
And also that was no discussion, but arguing. Reading the posts brought up the picture of swollen carotids in me.
Point is, if people are repelled by such comparisons, think why! And think again before attacking them. Nothing else but attacks were the replies.

Otherwise, nice informative thread. Never would have thought anybody else liked "Soldier".

Oh, and nobody mentioned All quiet on the western front! I think.
Great movie, trench war, thatīs how I imagine the Dan Abnett stuff, only with Krieg soldiers.

Cheers
Bart

Ubermensch Commander
24-10-2008, 20:36
The movie Event Horizon is the perfect example, IMO, of what happens to a ship when it becomes lost in the warp and is vomited back out into real space.

It really just made me think "OH! This is the first time humans tested out a Warp Drive without Gellar Fields or a Navigator!..ouch."

Ironmonger
24-10-2008, 22:58
Chronicles of Riddick: yeah, thought the trailer was 40k too;)
Starship Troopers
Dune (the extended cut original...not that sci fi channel garbage...)
Judge Dredd (Adeptus Arbites)

The best for warfare? Tied between Saving Private Ryan's combat scenes and Enemy at the Gates, which I'm rewatching right now...yeah, EatG wins.

Lisiecki
25-10-2008, 00:46
So thatīs why the rather unhealthy debate about that hidious crime in Canada came rather surprising for me. And I want to say something about it, though itīs OT. The defensive attitude of the poster who brought it up is one thing. Another one is the fact, that people who feel repelled by the connection of a war torn universe and itīs battles and a perverted crime are then attacked because they donīt get why these two topics should have any resemblance.

Yarg?

I didnt attack any one, nor am i defensive about it, if anything, i think im quite proactive about it.
I think that the reasion i gave was quite valid, and then explained why, as it connects directly to the back story of the Dark Eldar.
What i didint care for was being told that my answer was incorrect because there may be kids who are 10 years old or younger.
Also being told that i was trying to derail the thread irked me, because i don't see how the movie i gave, was any less valid than ANY movie listed so far.
Honestly.
If people cant see how an individual committing a atrocious crime and being rewarded for with with there freedom, can't see a connection to the dark eldar...

thelightbringer
25-10-2008, 01:24
The Eagle has landed! Great film! kill team personified!

Finn
25-10-2008, 03:58
first of all,DUNE look carefully at the atreides uniform collars(both on caladan and dune proper)...double eagle.nuff said.

I haven't seen Dune, but the eagle has been around as a symbol of empire since Roman days. Considering the abundance of similarities between the IoM and the later days of the Roman Empire (albeit it 40,000+ years in the future), I'd say the inspiration is taken more from that than from Dune.

If you dig a little deeper, you can find more similarities with Catholic Inquisitions and the Imperial Inquisitions, as well as the tradition of revering the Emperor of Rome as a god after his death.

If you dig even deeper into some of the background, you find speculation and rumors of the Emperor being called the Starchild - continually reborn in mankind's hour of need. Some say Cypher is trying to get to the Throne Room to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn and save mankind or some such...but that's beside the point. The point is the eagle was the standard of Rome, and GW borrowed that along with some basic plotlines to form the IoM. The addition of a second head reminds me strongly of the Nazi Eagle, and may be seen either as a symbol for vigilance or another similarity between the Gestapo/SS and the Inquisition....

Anywho, there are also certain aspects of Star Wars that lend it a 40k feel in a limited sense. The Dark Side and some aspects of Chaos, Stormtroopers/Clonetroopers and Marines (to a degree), and so on...just a bunch of small similarities.

Grendrill
25-10-2008, 06:42
Not sure if anyone mentioned this cause I sort of skipped to the end from page two, what about Matix Trilogy from Part two onwards (when not in the Matrix) but on the outside.

The machines world makes me think of the Necrons / 40k world.

Also Starship Troopers definatly.

syd b
25-10-2008, 11:58
I too when I saw the Chronicles of Riddick trailer though it was for a 40k movie I'd somehow heard nothing of (I had been living in the middle east for time so was fairly ignorant)... Riddick seemed to me a bit like an Eversor assassin, but with unfortunate emotions towards the end.