PDA

View Full Version : How many space marines is too many???

pgd75
19-10-2008, 21:46
I'm just trying to get an idea of the size of space marine armies out there, so far i have as follows:

complete 1st company (around 50ish terminators + stern and vanguard)
2nd company
3rd company
4th company
most of the 5th company (mine is all bikes and speeders)
a few squads from 6th-9th companies.
complete 10th company
lots of rhinos, razorbacks, and other space marine tanks. about 10 dreads and a thunderhawk. i guess its at least 25000 points prob more.

please let me know what you guys have :skull:

Alex_H
19-10-2008, 21:50
Wrong forum me thinks. Can a mod move it please. Thanks.

Lt_Crusty
19-10-2008, 21:52
dang! i can't type fast! you beat me to it Alex_H!

Lord Dan
19-10-2008, 22:06
I've got a handful of space marine shoulderpads in my bitz box. That probably comes out to something like 6 or so points.

t-tauri
19-10-2008, 22:12
Moved to 40k general. Please post in the appropriate forum.

HsojVvad
19-10-2008, 23:33
I'm just trying to get an idea of the size of space marine armies out there, so far i have as follows:

2nd company
3rd company
4th company
complete 10th company
lots of rhinos, razorbacks, and other space marine tanks. about 10 dreads and a thunderhawk. i guess its at least 25000 points prob more.

I am confused with your question? What you mean How many SM is too many? You think you have too many SM in your force? Well if it dosn't add up to a thousand I guess you don't have enough lol.

the1stpip
19-10-2008, 23:38
I think you have the wrong title for the thread.

If you want to boast, then say so.

If not, then have you ever played with all of them? Are you ever likely to?

If the answer to both questions is no, then you have too many.

Me, I want a single company. That is enough in my opinion for any sane player.

Templar Ben
19-10-2008, 23:42
I think the question is how many models is too many for a Space Marine army.

I have several thousand. Mine are mostly bikes, speeders and terminators but I have several hundred Initiates and over a hundred Neophytes.

Then again my chapter is not Codex so it is not an issue.

Juggernaut246
20-10-2008, 00:30
wow...

I only have about 30 Chaos Space Marines, five bikers, five terminators and two commanders (one model i have retired. one i am about to when i get a suitable model)

Lucifer216
20-10-2008, 00:41
Erm...

I have a battle company and hopefully tomorrow, I'll will have the whole of the 1st company as well (oh and 4 landraiders, 3 drop pods, 2 predators, 3 Rhinos, 1 Razorback, 10 bikes, 2 assault bikes and a dreadnought assault force to boot!)

It's probably going to take two years to finish everything up to a good standard!

As for gaming, its a bit tricky. A conventional Marine army gets its **** handed to it at Apocalypse. However, if you can find someone who has an equally large collection without superheavies you can have good fun. In terms of a practical limit, I'm not sure. Bear in mind diminshing returns. Eventually you won't be getting as much flexibilty as you first did. After the 1st, 2nd and 10th companies, you're looking at a lot of duplication.

fattdex
20-10-2008, 01:21
I suggest you sell them all, go buy a new house with the profit, then go back and collect those minis in epic scale where you will actually have a chance to play with them all...

Feor
20-10-2008, 02:20
How many is too many? 1001. Guilleman says so. :)

mindtaker
20-10-2008, 02:36
Well my Nurgle army comes in at some 120 plague marines, 20 Terminators, 100 plague zombies, 45 plague bearers, 21 nurgling bases, 4 Land Raiders, 5 vindicators, 4 Predators, Fw renegades+Tanks, Plague Reaper and my next project 3 plague towers.....

devik
20-10-2008, 03:37
When you have enough space marines on 25mm bases to completely cover a 4'x6' table, then you have enough.

sabre4190
20-10-2008, 04:00
I think if you build much more than a company, its going to be hard to make the models look right without taking up way too much time. I know one player with a full company of dark angels that he put together in a fairly short amount of time. They look awful though, and are just painted a layer of dark angels green with another color or two. I painted a full battle company plus a decent amount of support, and I'm pretty proud of it, even thouhg my painting skills have improved while doing it. I'm definately going to be making another battle company of another chapter in the future, and am looking forward to it already.

slingersam
20-10-2008, 04:13
When you have enough space marines on 25mm bases to completely cover a 4'x6' table, then you have enough.

That is equal to about 3526, 25mm bases. If you have that much then you have equal to about 3.5 companies. If you have that many companies uviously live with your mother.

Putty
20-10-2008, 04:46

2nd company
3rd company
4th company
complete 10th company

possible to get them all out and take a picture?

would be massive.

devik
20-10-2008, 04:52
That is equal to about 3526, 25mm bases. If you have that much then you have equal to about 3.5 companies. If you have that many companies uviously live with your mother.

Or more money than common sense.

If you have 3.5 companies worth of Marines, please PM me. I have an important business proposition.

djinn8
20-10-2008, 05:03

2nd company
3rd company
4th company
complete 10th company

Uhhhh...:eyebrows: Why the hell do you want so many space marines? You could have collected 2000 points for every army available and had an interesting collection. I knew someone a few years ago with an army like this one. Fugging hundreds of space wolves, all spray painted grey with unshaded yellow shoulder pads and blocky silver bolters. Ugly, ugly, ugly!!! A real case of what happens when you don't have any imagination, loads of money and OCD.

blackroyal
20-10-2008, 05:28
How many is too many? 1001. Guilleman says so. :)

I second this.

I have most of the 1st company, most of a battle company, and 100+ scouts (one can never have a "compete" 10th company). I would argue that that is too many marines. It does give me enough options that I never have to buy anything else and should never get bored what I have.

Lord of Skulls
20-10-2008, 08:05

2nd company
3rd company
4th company
complete 10th company

Are they all painted to anywhere close to tabletop standard?
If they aren't, it's not really impressive at all...

I only have about 60 Marines, 5 Veterans, 10 Scouts, 5 Terminators, 3 Characters, 5 Speeders, 2 Attack Bikes, 2 Predators, 1 Vindicator, 3 Rhinos, 1 Land Raider, 3 Dreadnoughts, 4 Drop Pods and a Thunderhawk Gunship that I'm currently working on...

BrianC
20-10-2008, 08:28
By the start of next month I should have:

60% Chapter Command (not counting the Equerries or Servitors)
Complete First Company (70/30 split of Terminator/Sternguards)
Complete Second Company
40% of Sixth Company (Bike & Landspeeder based)
70% of Eighth Company (My Vanguard are counted here)
80% of Tenth Company
10% of the Armoury (Land Raiders, Rhinos and so on, don't think I'll ever get anywhere near 100% for this as there are an awful lot of Techmarines)

I'm aiming to have the ability to field any of the unique companies (third and fourth etc. being identical to the second). All are currently painted to a table top standard.

I'm planning a game next month were I'll be fielding the entire first company and a big chunk of the Chapter Command, works out at about 5500 points with a few upgrades.

I also have a game under planning for next year to field all four Companies but limited to around 16k.

Killgore
20-10-2008, 10:18
Its all very well everyone bragging about the size of their Spacemarine army but the important factor is how much is painted?

I have the entire Scout company of the Ultramarines of which very little is painted

The entire 2nd company, of which about 1/4 to 1/3rd is painted

around 1/3 of the 1st company with several squads of Terminators and a Sternguard unit

and numerous Rhinos, Predators, Land Raiders and other bits in various states of paintedness/ disrepair

My current mission is get stuff painted! this last week iv completed 10 Assault marines and finished off 17 Tactical marines as well as basing them all with snow flock

This week its Terminator time!

boogaloo
21-10-2008, 01:27
Why do you guys all have to be so damn down on the OP. We're all in this hobby for different reasons. I saw DAs and Wraithlords in a 2nd ed rule book and was like :eek: WOAH! :eek: Like ten years later i bought a box of DAs a Wraithlord a Codex and a Battle for Macragge (did you guys know a squad of DAs and a Wraihtlord didn't make an army!?!?!?). Some people just dig the fluff, some people like to paint.... AND SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO COLLECT STUFF

At this point i have about 3000 pts of Necrons 85% painted and like 6-7000 pts of eldar about 40% painted. Now if the OP wants to collect a full legion of Space Marines cuz (s)he thinks that it's fun even if they're only "mostly assembled" let him do his thing. Shoot... i just wish i could afford a full craftworld of eldar.

Now i can totally see the point of "if you spent fractions of that on every army you would have a very versatile collection" and it makes alot of sense, IF that's what the OP wanted.... maybe he wants a full legion.

Some people collect stamps and spend rediculous amounts of money on it... do you discredit their collection because they didn't paint it?

if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.......................... freekin heathens <----see i shouldn't have said that

Cypher, the Emperor
21-10-2008, 03:33
When I finally finish college and get a nice, well paying job, I fear that two full crimson fists chapters (one pre and one post Rynns world) might be in the works. This isn't that impressive, seing as post rynn they have significantly fewer members. This would be up their with my concept of a ten thousand point four horseman themed Warriors of Chaos army.

But right now I have what I think is about the right amount of SM.

Also, this thread shouldn't pass without at least a mention of Kendall Kinrade who introduced me to the fact that someone might collect space marines for the sake of having cool older models.

shadowtemplar16
21-10-2008, 03:34
wow, ive only got enough for maybe a company and a half

Lord Dan
21-10-2008, 04:22
Why do you guys all have to be so damn down on the OP.

Mainly because this thread has nothing to do with the question implied by the thread title. The OP was just showing off how good he is at buying models.

Psycoticspacemarine
21-10-2008, 08:53
My long term goal after college is to build and paint an entire chapter of SM specifically Blood Angels for display purposes.

Elios Harg
21-10-2008, 11:24
I currently have 2 full companies of Dark Angels, both are fully painted, though one is pretty shoddy since it was done back before I was decent at painting. I also, have 65 Deathwing plus Belial, Chaplain and Librarian, but again 20 of those are old models with an old paint job, and 15 of them are my current project, should be done. I have 4 full Ravenwing Attack Squadrons and 1 full Ravenwing Support Squadron (so approximately half a company), only have the command squad, Sammael, Chaplain and Librarian fully painted, with some painted models spread out through the company (had to reorganize a bit with the new codex). Lastly, I have 60 scouts, but only about a third of them painted. There's also a large assortment of Rhinos, Landraiders, Dreadnoughts, etc.

I am of the opinion that I have too many marines for my Dark Angels. My Eldar, Imperial Guard and new Ultramarines project are all being built to a specific goal rather than organically like my Dark Angels. It helps that I am pretty decent at painting now and enjoy it much more than I did before, so I'm doing less buying and more painting.

aad
21-10-2008, 12:08
-100 terminators
-100 devastators
-30 assault marines
-50 veterans
-30 bikes
-5 attack bikes
-5 landspeeders
-15 dreadnoughts
-15 predators,razorbacks,whirlwind,vindicator mix.
-15 landraiders.

want:
-5 more landraiders
-5 more dreadnoughts
-2 whirlwinds
-2 predators
-5 droppods
-5 deathwind droppods
-10 landspeeders
-10 sternguard veterans
-20 vanguard veterans
and when the thunderhawk will ever come out i want 5 of them also

just enough to finish my chapter, they don,t have anymore stuff according to my own fluff