PDA

View Full Version : New Warriors, 1250 pts, slaanesh horde

Zoat
19-10-2008, 22:26
I'm entering a friendly tournament where we will play 1250pts and I've been tossing around ideas for a while. The dead-line draws closer, so I thought it's time to show what I've come up with and let you guys give me some feed-back.

Characters:

Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2
Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2

Core:

12 chaos warriors with shield, std, mus, Rapturous standard, Mk of Slaanesh
25 marauders (light armour + shield), full command, Mk of Slaanesh
15 marauders (shield), std, mus, Mk of Slaanesh
5 Warhounds

Special:

5 Knights, std, warbanner, Mk of Slaanesh

Rare:

2 spawn

Sums up to 1249 pts (hand calculated, mind you)

So what do you think?

Damian
19-10-2008, 22:56
I don't like the units of 15 marauders, at that size they're not going to win any combats. I suggest you combine them into a single unit, although personally I would rather go for a 2nd unit of warriors or even better, knights.

Also, you can't go wrong with a dispell scroll or two and the power familiar.

FunkyRatDemon
19-10-2008, 23:32
I'm entering a friendly tournament where we will play 1250pts and I've been tossing around ideas for a while. The dead-line draws closer, so I thought it's time to show what I've come up with and let you guys give me some feed-back.

Characters:

Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2
Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2

Core:

12 chaos warriors with shield, std, mus, Rapturous standard, Mk of Slaanesh
25 marauders (light armour + shield), full command, Mk of Slaanesh
5 Warhounds

Special:

Rare:

2 spawn

Sums up to 1249 pts (hand calculated, mind you)

So what do you think?
You need Dispell Scrolls...2 (lose a Spawn for these)
You really need a FC on those Knights, especially because of the Champion's +1A
I'd scrap 1 unit of Marauders, then bump the other to 25 (using the remaining pts for the FC on Knights)
Marking your Sorcerers is important, likely 2 Slaanesh, I'd also think that mounting 1 would be a good idea

For 1250 I'd run this
Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2, Slaanesh, 2 Dispel Scroll (175pts)
Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2, Slaanesh, Steed (166pts)
12 chaos warriors with shields, Full Command, Rapturous standard, Slaanesh (257pts)
25 marauders, light armour, shield, Full Command, Slaanesh (180pts)
20 marauders, light armour, shield, Full Command, Slaanesh (150pts)
6 Warhounds (36pts)
5 Knights, Knight Champion, Slaanesh (230pts)
Spawn (55pts)
-1249pts-
Slightly different approach, but still cool

Kalec
20-10-2008, 03:29
2 scrolls is excessive in such a small game, he could probably get by with none.

The knights do not need a champion, they are powerful enough already. A better upgrade would be a warbanner for them.

The 15-man marauders would be better served with great weapons, since shields alone will rarely do anything.

Marking everything is too expensive in such a small game, so don't bother.

FunkyRatDemon
20-10-2008, 05:18
2 scrolls is excessive in such a small game, he could probably get by with none.

The knights do not need a champion, they are powerful enough already. A better upgrade would be a warbanner for them.

The 15-man marauders would be better served with great weapons, since shields alone will rarely do anything.

Marking everything is too expensive in such a small game, so don't bother.
I feel that its likely that Bound-spells will be taken by the enemy force, along with many lower-lever Magic Missiles which will take out your Heros or many Marauders early on. So minimimizing casualties is a must. 1 is a must, 2 is my playstyle

3A is definatly worth it, especially it they have to face against something like a Vargulf or some Ogres...the extra A will do wonders (and for Eye of the God reasons)

I think Flails with the MoK is best, 2A each w/ S5 in first round, then 2A S3 after, considering you should break them and they have decent I anyways.

Marks don't need to e on everything, but some units need them

Kalec
20-10-2008, 06:14
There just won't be a whole lot of magic in this small a game. Anyone with enough magic to push through 4 dispel dice and cause some damage won't have much to fight with.

The knight champ is just too expensive to be worth the extra attack. If he brought a war alter so champs could roll on the table, or if he needed to protect a sorcerer from challenges, then maybe, but for just one attack the warbanner is a much better investment.

FunkyRatDemon
20-10-2008, 07:29
There just won't be a whole lot of magic in this small a game. Anyone with enough magic to push through 4 dispel dice and cause some damage won't have much to fight with.

The knight champ is just too expensive to be worth the extra attack. If he brought a war alter so champs could roll on the table, or if he needed to protect a sorcerer from challenges, then maybe, but for just one attack the warbanner is a much better investment.

In 1250games, I'd like to run 2lv2's, and will likely blow-through lots of Magic (I play DE, so my PoD spell really helps add alot)
1 Dispell Scroll will help ensure that Magic Missile will not go enough

The ability to use the Eye of the Gods table on the Knight Champion is really worth it.

I feel that 2 Spawn are better then a War Alter

Damian
20-10-2008, 08:43
I definately agree that you don't need 2 dispell scrolls, although one can always come in handy, and the champion on the knights is a waste of points - definately rather a warbanner.

As for slaanesh on the sorcerors, it is one of, if not the best, lores in the game. However, keep in mind that its most useful spells don't affect Itp troops so could be pretty ineffective against many of your opponents.

Shamfrit
20-10-2008, 11:36
I second the vote to move to two units of 12 Marauders with the Mark of Khorne and Flails, use them as counter charges, fleeing units or advanced harassers; I understand that it breaks your Slaneesh theme but that's up to you.

Otherwise, nice list.

(I wouldn't take knights at this points level personally, I can barely afford them at 2250!)

JonnyTHM
20-10-2008, 12:00
The ability to use the Eye of the Gods table on the Knight Champion is really worth it.

Either you don't realize that you keep on suggesting something that requires a war altar, or you really should say so.

Knight champions don't have the eye of the gods rule without a warshrine on the table... as has been said earlier in this thread I believe.

As for the army list:

You don't need 2 dispel scrolls at that power level. If someone is taking that much magic, they'll be deficient elsewhere and you'll be able to sweep through them.

I definitely agree wtih changing one of the marauder units to MoK and flails and shrinking it a bit (it's too potent to ignore, and can still be themed to go with slaaneshi units around it).

You don't have much that can really deal with things like skirmishers though (other than your sorcerers if they're taking lore of fire). Giving them something like bloodcurdling roar can do wonders for panicing small groups of skirmishers, or if you're lucky taking out an enemy knight before they get to you (you currently don't have many high strength attacks other than on your knights, and they're probably going to try to avoid your knights).

Zoat
20-10-2008, 15:42
Thanks for the many replies!

Ok to set the scope for the list discussion I'm not ready to drop my theme. Slaanesh and undivided troops are welcome, individuals wearing other marks will be killed on sight! :)

For unit upgrades I always compare static CR per point. In this respect standard is best, second comes warbanner, musician third and last the champion. I might consider champion before musician if I'm really short on points and need to protect a character. That's my reasoning, what do you think?

Reading through the posts I see that you worry about four main weaknesses of my army.

First is the lack of magic defensive. For me 2 scrolls are too much in 1250pts. I'll consider taking one. It depends what army I end up with. With a larger force most spells do little harm, especially with the no-panic mark. With more elites I may get more defensive and get a scroll.

Second is the lack of high strength attacks. Thanks for pointing that out! In the early drafts there were a few halberds and great weapons, but these seems to have been lost while squeezing the army into 1250 pts.

Third is the small units of 15 marauders. I used to take 1-2 beastherds to cover the flanks of the main fighting units. My thought was a simple swap picking two decent ranked unit for that job, but now I'm not so sure. Should I consolidate into 2 larger units and one smaller flanker?

Fourth issue are the skirmishers. This is a real problem without my trusty beastherds! Magic and spawn is what I came up with, but it feels unsatisfying. DoW duellists? :) Seriously, how do you guys handle flyers and skirmishers?

What do you think about the characters? Is 2 x sorcerer a good setup for a "horde"?

I'll try to update the list later tonight. For the time being keep the good ideas coming!

Zoat
20-10-2008, 19:22
The updated list! Let me know what you think!

Characters:

Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2
Chaos sorcerer, lvl 2

Core:

10 chaos warriors (halberd), std, mus, Rapturous standard, Mk of Slaanesh
22 marauders (light armour + shield), std, mus, Mk of Slaanesh
22 marauders (light armour + shield), std, mus, Mk of Slaanesh
10 marauders (great weapon)
5 Warhounds
5 Warhounds

Special: