PDA

View Full Version : What next?

Infectum
20-10-2008, 03:54
I'm a fairly new 40k player, and i have enough models to do smaller battles with my CSM. However, i would like to know what you guys think i should get next to bolster my forces.
I currently have:
30 Marines
20 Berzerkers
1 Daemon Prince
1 Rhino
1 Defiler

The top three things i was considering were obliterators, a vindicator, or a predator.

Volrath
20-10-2008, 04:26
Any of those are great choices for heavy support. I converted my own oblits out of older terminator models...it gave them more flavor, they look cooler, and cost much less!

i like the idea of a vindicator with what you have, constantly rolling forward to pin down units...people usually get really scared of these really quickly....might help keep your berzerkers safe while you advance, having them focus on the heavy support stuff out of fear...

devik
20-10-2008, 04:55
Any of those are great choices for heavy support. I converted my own oblits out of older terminator models...it gave them more flavor, they look cooler, and cost much less!

i like the idea of a vindicator with what you have, constantly rolling forward to pin down units...people usually get really scared of these really quickly....might help keep your berzerkers safe while you advance, having them focus on the heavy support stuff out of fear...

Indeed, having some big scary thing that can wipe a squad off of the table in a single shot tends to make your opponent worry quite a bit. Even if it's "only" 24 inches, that's still plenty enough to drop a shot across the table within the first turn or two, and it's intimidating enough that most players will start dumping fire into it rather than splitting their fire and "spreading the love" across the advancing army.

sabre4190
20-10-2008, 05:08
I think you have a nice core, and should start adding some more hitty things. I'm not sure how your marine squads are set up, but I would add some more firepower. I think you have exactly the right idea with the top three units you want. It looks like you are a fast learner. If you are a bit low on antitank firepower, i would go with either the obliterators or the predator. It really depends on how much armor you want, but I would take a predator.

By the way, how do you set up your marine squads? I dont play chaos, but I'm a fan of taking two special weapons. Getting up close and personal always seemed to best way to use their abilities.

Victomorga
20-10-2008, 05:15
I play against chaos pretty regularly. my opponent often fields a unit of havocs as heavy support, and often a vindicator as well.

and having only one so far, you really can't go wrong with another rhino.

EDIT: my opponent usually kits out the havocs with the same HW, usually all heavy bolters.