PDA

View Full Version : Building Warriors of Chaos - WYSIWYG

Rookie1986
20-10-2008, 10:05
Hey Guys,

This has plagued me for a while now and since I'm starting to piece together my new Warriors of Chaos army i thought i would better ask just to make sure.

My question is, when you build your regiments and then field them for a battle do they work on the "What You See Is What You Get" style of play or is it based on what is written on your paper army list?

Also if things do play by the "WYSIWYG" style of play what would be the best choice of weapons for my Chaos Knights?

/Rookie

Ward.
20-10-2008, 10:11
WYSIWYG is courtesy but not part of the actual rule set.

If it bothers you and you don't but you don't want to be stuck with one option, use magnets in the shoulder joints to swap the arms between battles.

EDIT: Test the polarity before you glue the magnets in.

logan054
i tend to try and keep my army wysiwyg, it just makes it easier for the other guy, count as is fine, i had been thinking i would use minotaurs as ogres and the like, count as isnt a major issue just so long as the other guys knows what everything is.

Nicha11
the WYSIWYG is dependant on who you are faceing, if you
are against some friends it shouldn't be that strick.

If you are at a tournament then it could be VERY strict.

Mainly it is what is written on your army list, or at least thats how i play.

And on the Chaos knights i have no idea.

Edit: wow three replies in 1 minute!

Duke Georgal
20-10-2008, 11:32
The front two ranks and 50% of the remaining models being properly armed will satisfy nearly all of your opponents, even in tournaments.

Braad
20-10-2008, 11:47
What you write in your list is what you got, what you field on the table is the representation of what you have got written down in your list.

What Duke Georgal says... If you pick the two main weapons options you want, and make a unit 50/50 armed with those, and then make 2 front ranks/command groups to represent either of them. Should work fine.

If I were you, I would stick to WYSIWYG at least to some degree though, it makes life easier for you, and especially for your opponent. It's not nice being surprised with great weapons when the models only have a single hand weapon, and specifically in larger games it gets hard to keep track of everything if its not WYSIWYG, even if the opponent just told you what everything is at the start.

Kerill
20-10-2008, 13:12
Try for WYSIWYG as far as possible and then inform your opponent at the start of the battle of any units/characters that aren't generally fixed most issues. There are still a couple open to question though for WOC:

1) Do you need to declare what marks different units have? (I do)
2) If a chaos sorcerer has a magic shield do you have to declare it? (I don't)

ChrisAsmadi
20-10-2008, 13:25
Try for WYSIWYG as far as possible and then inform your opponent at the start of the battle of any units/characters that aren't generally fixed most issues. There are still a couple open to question though for WOC:

1) Do you need to declare what marks different units have? (I do)
2) If a chaos sorcerer has a magic shield do you have to declare it? (I don't)

1) Mark is usually easily guessed through the paint scheme anyway.

2) You have to declare a shield, just not which magic one it is.

Havock
20-10-2008, 16:20
Can a sorcerer even take a magical shield, considering it can't pick a normal shield either?

Orcboy_Phil
20-10-2008, 16:39
It can take armour however and sheilds are listed as magic armour.

Braad
20-10-2008, 18:04
One of my friends has his stuff painted undivided, because he likes that scheme, but usually everything is Khorne. I think things like marks or spawnings aren't that strict, otherwise you need a hell of a lot of units if you wish to switch now and then.

Having a different standard bearer in a unit to depict those things can be a solution.

Crispian25
20-10-2008, 18:18
I agree with Braad. The Chaos Space Marines sprue has some good standard tops to use for your standard bearers if you want something different than 4 different paint jobs on the banners. I also use little markers in my games to remind myself (an axe on a base to remind me of frenzy, a barrel to remind me of drunken for Centigors, etc).

You don't need to WYSIWYG, but feel free to have fun mixing and matching. 12 warriors can turn into a command and 3 models each for GW, 2HW, and HW/Shield, so you can either do 5 across or 6 across and show the correct weaponry in the front rank at least.