PDA

View Full Version : Land Raider Redeemer, any good?

iaguz
20-10-2008, 11:28
Hey. I was thinking of getting a Land Raider Redeemer for my Space Wolf army if their new codex is any good (or if it ever gets released, of course). I ask two things of ye.

1) What are the new rules, point costs, anything else interesting etc of the Redeemer? I haven't had a chance to pour through the new SM book yet so I don't really know much about it.

2) Are they any good? Although str 6 ap 3 flamers sound like great fun, I fear that the vehicle rules may not complement them very well, and if one gets immobilised it's effectively worthless. On the flip side though, those are some nice flamers, and if you add in the massive Blood Claw pack inside which assaults...

Well, you get the picture.

Fay_Redd
20-10-2008, 11:46
um well, not allowed to post things liek points costs on here i think, but i can say it's 10 points cheaper than a normal land raider, It's great upclose, and i mean upclose it only really works when assault distance has been reached, the Crusader still outdoes the redeemer for me.

however Str6 AP3 flamers are nothing to shake a fist at, if you want to deliver a dose of pain to anything that aint a terminator take a redeemer, otherwise i would go with a normal LR or LRC.

NotMyIfurita
20-10-2008, 11:54
Played my first game with and against the new marine codex yesterday. Have to say the base model LR is well worth the points now that krak missiles do next to nothing. The Redeemer ought to be a lotta fun against MEQs, especially since the new machine spirit rule will let you shoot one weapon and move 12. Theres a lot worse you can do than move 12 and shoot TL ass cans.

==Me==
20-10-2008, 13:27
It's a close range vehicle and the new PotMS makes it actually quite good. You can drive up the full 12", unload a nasty squad, burninate a nearby unit with the LRR, and charge another. It's brutal on gunline armies as it can essentially take out 2 units per turn.

Usopreme
20-10-2008, 16:12
I posted this on a different thread but I use the Khan with two outflanking redeemers and it works amazing. It makes capture and control games a lot more fun since your opponent can't use the basic hide his base in the corner tactic.

To be honest though I dislike the redeemer if its not outflanking I think a crusader or standard version will do a lot more imediate damage.

IJW
20-10-2008, 16:49
I posted this on a different thread but I use the Khan with two outflanking redeemers and it works amazing.
Between Khan, two Redeemers and two units of Terminators to get the Redeemers as dedicated transports that's not leaving you a lot of points for scoring units... still nasty, though.

Usopreme
20-10-2008, 19:36
Leaves enough room for three full tactical squads, a few metlas, a Lascannon, and your transport of choice in a 1750 list .

IJW
20-10-2008, 19:41
in a 1750 list .
That would explain it. ;) In the UK, 1500 points is fairly universal.

Lord_Squinty
20-10-2008, 22:54
That would explain it. ;) In the UK, 1500 points is fairly universal.

Start getting used to the idea IJW - its becoming more and more common in the UK to play 1750pts :(

Maidel
20-10-2008, 23:31
Start getting used to the idea IJW - its becoming more and more common in the UK to play 1750pts :(

Yey, even more models to buy before you can field an army then...

Strix
20-10-2008, 23:33
its becoming more and more common in the UK to play 1750pts :(
They just pick these figures out of thin air don't they? I mean, 1850, whats the point of that?

As far as the redeemer goes, tried it once and I quite liked it. Works best, i've found, as a kind of second wave tank. It packs a fair bit of punch and its quite good at delivering a counter assault. Reason I say this is that spannering it across the board with AP3 flamers is going to make it a fire magnet.

iaguz
21-10-2008, 00:03
Well, a 14 all round tank does turn from a fire magnet into a fire sponge (until it gets immobilised of course, in which case ****!)

Mad Dok Wotnot
21-10-2008, 00:08
I fielded it and loved it, partly due to the fact it was the day after it came out and my opponent bimbled straight into it with a BA honourguard who were pronptly roasted.

I fielded it again and despised it for having a crazy short range that has to get close and as with all LR's, falls aprt at the slight glimpse of a melta based weapon.

Recently i'm back int the liking it mode as I've discovered Khan just rocks with termies outflanking in one. Especially if you don't buy his bike and stick him in said term sqd.

Depends what you play against really. it does make a rather nice crispy mess of other marine armies and necrons.

Khornies & milk
21-10-2008, 00:13
I fielded it and loved it, partly due to the fact it was the day after it came out and my opponent bimbled straight into it with a BA honourguard who were pronptly roasted.

I fielded it again and despised it for having a crazy short range that has to get close and as with all LR's, falls aprt at the slight glimpse of a melta based weapon.

Recently i'm back int the liking it mode as I've discovered Khan just rocks with termies outflanking in one. Especially if you don't buy his bike and stick him in said term sqd.

Depends what you play against really. it does make a rather nice crispy mess of other marine armies and necrons.

Then I'm definitely turning my kit into a Redeemer now, plus I have one of each of the other 2 varients so might as well have something a bit different.

Mad Dok Wotnot
21-10-2008, 00:16
Then I'm definitely turning my kit into a Redeemer now, plus I have one of each of the other 2 varients so might as well have something a bit different.

it requires Khan as your HQ, but an Outflanking redeemer just flat out destroys the 45 Loota Ork army too ;)

Kahadras
21-10-2008, 00:22
They just pick these figures out of thin air don't they? I mean, 1850, whats the point of that?

IIRC it was an attempt to balance out players armies. Basicaly the concept was that it would prevent people from just maxing out on heavy support slots while ignoring everything else. It would also give people more options to deal with armies that tried to unbalance the game aparantly.

Kahadras

Khornies & milk
21-10-2008, 00:35
it requires Khan as your HQ, but an Outflanking redeemer just flat out destroys the 45 Loota Ork army too ;)

No...no Khan, I play a 'counts-as' DW list and only play at my Club, so the Redeemer will fit just nicely:angel:

iaguz
21-10-2008, 00:57
hmm, does sound tempting to make a 'Khan' Space Wolf army, but the main problem is justifying an Index Astartes army as Space Wolves...

Ah well. Back to the old drawing board.

Inquisitor Engel
21-10-2008, 01:06
Between Khan, two Redeemers and two units of Terminators to get the Redeemers as dedicated transports that's not leaving you a lot of points for scoring units... still nasty, though.

That's why Jervis invented Apocalypse. Points value? What's a points value? :D:evilgrin:

TheWarSmith
21-10-2008, 05:28
I love this tank. Machine spirit is so much better now that it's not just firing at BS2. I'd always give it the multimelta on top, just to deal w/ a dreadnought if it got in the way(in case you don't have pfist/hammer termies inside).

I've been debating if extra armour is worth it. I'm thinking it really is, because I can see this thing getting a lot of can't move/shoot results, so moving to can't shoot would be useful.

artmiser
21-10-2008, 06:37
I would take it over the crusader for a close assault Land Raider, depends on what you are using if for.