PDA

View Full Version : Finally Starting Fantasy (I mean it this time...)

IronNerd
20-10-2008, 16:37
I've been thinking of starting Fantasy for some time now, and I've even come up with lists in the past of what I want to come up with. With the advent of the new WoC, I'm finally making a point to myself to do it. Some of you have helped encourage me to get going, so I want to post my list up to see what advice you can offer before I tackle the game. I got my hands on the WoC book for a while and whipped together something I think I'd like, here goes!

Exalted Champ BSB w/ MoN, Festering Shroud, Palanquin, Shield

Festus the Leechlord

Chaos Sorceror w/ Level 2, MoN, 2 Dispel Scrolls

15 Marauders w/ MoN, Great Weapons

12 Warriors w/ MoN, Shields, Champ, Musician

10 Marauder Horsemen w/ MoN, Flails

5 Knights w/ MoN, Champ

5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds

It's quite obvious that I love Nurgle, he is pure win... I don't like the scroll caddy, but since many of the other lists that I wanted to make were pretty magic heavy, I get nervous about magic... I suppose that comes with experience. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Edit: This is 2000 points, that seems to be the norm from what I've seen, so there it is.

IronNerd
21-10-2008, 22:37
Man I hate doing this... but I want some sort of response, be it "meh", "that sucks", or "it's alright".

So yes, this is a bump... I'm sorry...

Lord Dan
21-10-2008, 22:41
Drop the horsemen units to 5 a piece.

Drop a unit of hounds.

Take 1 or 2 spawns.

With whatever points you have left, bump the marauders up to 20 strong each and give them standards.

IronNerd
22-10-2008, 03:14
I can definitely see why taking spawn is good. One question, if I drop the horsemen to 5 man squads, is it worth the points for a MoN? I suppose I see that as a lot of points tacked onto the squad... If so, cool, I like Nurgle... If not, I save more points and can fit a few more toys in...

Lord Dan
22-10-2008, 03:20
The issue with 10 man fast cav. units is simply their size. A single rank of 1x10 is too cumbersome, while 2 ranks of 5 would be wasting points on 5 models that don't help out at all, as fast cav can't recieve a rank bonus and the guys in the back can't fight.

Personally I wouldn't give them the MoN. I've never found that if I gave my fast cav any real upgrades that I made the points back. The one exception, of course, being RxBs for DE dark riders, but that's not the point...

IronNerd
22-10-2008, 03:26
In that case, are the flails even worth it? I would assume yes, as they are fairly cheap and a big bonus, but I'm not the vet here, so...

Dark14
22-10-2008, 04:42
no horsemen more warriors less hounds

Einholt
22-10-2008, 05:02
Ideal Horsemen, units would be 5, Flails, Light armor and music. You can substitute Throwing axes for flails. Just means 1 is more of a harasser while the other can assist on charges. Both are used for flanking, and baiting. KEEP THE HORSEMEN, they have always been one of our (WoC) more tactical units. Keep the hounds too, very valuable as screens and blitz units for annoying range that happen to be weak.

Also with nurgle I think you could afford to beef up a warrior unit, and put festus in there for the Regen.

I personally never saw nurgle knights as a great idea however I think with the new mark they can certainly be a nice mid range offensive unit.

I would also go with 1 large block of marauders (24ish) with shields and armor and throw the BsB in with them. Great Anvil and pretty cheap for what they provide. I only said 24 cuz normally BSB is on foot and he rounds to 5 x 5, but you can work it however you like.

I do not really know what else to recommend, I think you have a pretty good thing going here. Just tweak and add as you play and test. And I would not want to be telling you exactly what YOUR army should look like, just have fun with it, definitely on the right track.

FunkyRatDemon
22-10-2008, 05:19
I've been thinking of starting Fantasy for some time now, and I've even come up with lists in the past of what I want to come up with. With the advent of the new WoC, I'm finally making a point to myself to do it. Some of you have helped encourage me to get going, so I want to post my list up to see what advice you can offer before I tackle the game. I got my hands on the WoC book for a while and whipped together something I think I'd like, here goes!

Exalted Champ BSB w/ MoN, Festering Shroud, Palanquin, Shield

Festus the Leechlord

Chaos Sorceror w/ Level 2, MoN, 2 Dispel Scrolls

5 Knights w/ MoN, Champ

5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds
5 Chaos Hounds

It's quite obvious that I love Nurgle, he is pure win... I don't like the scroll caddy, but since many of the other lists that I wanted to make were pretty magic heavy, I get nervous about magic... I suppose that comes with experience. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Edit: This is 2000 points, that seems to be the norm from what I've seen, so there it is.
I prefer Flails to GW's in Marauders, but they need to be at least 20, preferably 24
Horseman should only be 5 each and no Mark, 2 units should be good, naked +flails
I'd scrap the Knight Champion and go for a Warbanner instead
With all the pts saved from losing excess Horseman + marks, then you should 'bulk' up units of warriors to 15 each

Lord Dan
22-10-2008, 17:38
I don't know what Dark14 is on about, but don't drop the horsemen.

I agree with Einholt except for the light armor, which really just comes down to personal taste (and, I suppose more importantly, what armies you'll be facing). I've found that if my fast cav gets into a situation where they can be shot at, generally they take enough shots that they will die regardless of their save.

The solution, then, is to make sure they don't get shot. ;)

FunkyRatDemon
22-10-2008, 19:39
I don't know what Dark14 is on about, but don't drop the horsemen.

I agree with Einholt except for the light armor, which really just comes down to personal taste (and, I suppose more importantly, what armies you'll be facing). I've found that if my fast cav gets into a situation where they can be shot at, generally they take enough shots that they will die regardless of their save.

The solution, then, is to make sure they don't get shot. ;)

Completly agree
Keep in the Marauder Horseman
I'm also not a fan of putting armour on these guys, just give them Flails and your set

Einholt
23-10-2008, 02:29
Yep I can completely affirm Lord Dan and FunkyRat. The Light armor is not necessary it is just a personal choice. I play in a shooting metagame and I find having the 6 plus save against crossbows or 5 plus against bows can be quite helpful.

Again Dan is right that generally if they get shot they go down, my purpose is simply to either force the opponent to commit 2 units rather then 1 sometimes and at others to just eat a volley so my knights can advance. Cheaper is better though so if you do not have the 5 points by all means do not feel pushed into equipping them with the armor.

IronNerd
23-10-2008, 03:03
The way I re-tooled my list I'm still sitting with 10 extra points, so I'm thinking light armor on the horsies might not be a bad investment. I really need the book to come out, and some money, so I can start getting some practice/teaching games in...

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 12:47
Nurgle Knights with Banner of Rage. Thats just about as hard as you can hit.

I'd equip my horsemen with light armor and throwing axes, or go all the way and give them light armor, flails and the MoK. Ideal unit size is about 5 or 6.

Also I think you need a unit to handle the big stuff like dragons, steam tanks, treemen etc.

My advice is for you to start out at 1000 pt. instead and learn the basics of the game and how to use all your units before you start for 2000 pointers. Also you'll get a chance to get those models painted in more manageable portions :)

IronNerd
23-10-2008, 15:51
I have some Marauders from a failed Lost and the Damned attempt, so I'm going to put them together, then grab a box of Warriors and try out the small game (is it Border Patrol? Whatever the 200-500 point games are...). I kinda dig the idea of throwing axes on Horsemen, just to make them a bit more annoying...