PDA

View Full Version : Painful reason to not destroy drop pods!!

warsmithferrousmaximus
21-10-2008, 00:10
Greetings everyone,

Last saturday i attended a meeting of my local gaming club and indulged in my iron warriors first apocalypse game. half way through one of my opponents(an ultramarine player) landed a drop pod in the midst of my troops, from which his veteran squad came.

one of my ideas was to wipe out the troops and just leave the drop pod alone,however considering it carried a deathwind missile launcher i decided to blow it to hell and see if i could take out his squad at the same time.

Now comes the painful bit: i fired a meltagun at it, hit , penetrated and rolled a six on the vehicle damage chart= obliterated!! unfortunately the ensuing six inch blast covered seven of my chaos marine squads. after a lengthy save rolling period a grand sum of 49 of my men were blown to bits. to add insult to injury only one of his veterans shared thier fate!!

Despite the fact it cost me the game it was a good laugh and i was wondering whether anyone else has had similarly tragic but hilarious events in thier battles?

All welcome but the funier the better!

Znail
21-10-2008, 00:18
Having 7 units so bunched up that they got caught in the blast is probobly a problem in itself, even more so in apocalypse as there are actual templates that large. I realy dont see how you could fit that many that close unintentionaly, even asuming that you failed every save.

But I guess its a memorable event at the very least.

TheDarkDuke
21-10-2008, 00:26
Umm... how did you fit 49 marines that close to the drop pod with his veterine marines and the drop pod in the centre of it???????????

I don't think thats even possible!

warsmithferrousmaximus
21-10-2008, 00:39
should have explained that the pod fell behind my lines and i stupidly piled everything towards the resultant veterans before more stupidly deciding to destroy the monster!!

yes it was a minor tactical error but having just smeared Calgar across the battlefield and wiping out all but one of his command squad the turn before with one battle cannon round, when all calgars orbital bombardment did was kill one minor lord, immobalising a predator and scratching the paint one a landraider i was not entirely thinking straight!!

However the point is has anyone else suffered similar fates of catastrophic embarresment but still found it painfully funny??

Xenobane
21-10-2008, 00:47
it was a minor tactical error

I'll say! ;)

Am I missing something? Why wasn't it just S3 AP- hits?

Bookwrak
21-10-2008, 00:56
I don't simply see how that's possible. Statistically speaking, that means there were something like 500 CSM within 6" of that pod, taking the s3 wound, and then failing a 3+ save.

It's technically possible for an s3 explosion to wipe out 50 out of 50 or so marines, but to have it actually occur is pretty boggling.

kaimarion
21-10-2008, 00:59
You do know you would have roll 5's then fail your 3+ armour save for them to die, right?

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 01:01
I heard a story (whether its true or not is another matter) about a guy who was playing shadowrun, and rolled 20 1's when he cast a powerbolt. (for the ill informed, rolling a 1 results in a critical failer (so the more dice you roll the riskier it becomes) however the more 1's you roll results in a bigger critical failer) suffice to say, the said group called it a night after that.

I can just picture a guy trying to use a psycic power like vortex of doom, and failing his leadership test, but using an apoc 10" template for the explosion :)

cailus
21-10-2008, 01:14
I once saw a 700+ point unit of Chosen Terminators (18 of them) deep strike straight onto an enemy unit. Under the old rules the unit was automatically destroyed.

I myself had a 280 point assault marine unit do the same in 1,500 point game. That hurt!

The same Assault Squad was annihilated by a Junior Officer and his 4 IG flunkies in combat.

There's also cool old 2nd edition stuff such as my Orks bouncing a grenade off a wall straight into themselves and blowing up or Vortex grenades chewing up Dreadnoughts, Chaplains and just about anything else in total rampages of destruction or Mephiston taking out Abbaddon, Kharne and a whole slew of Chaos Space Marines without breaking a sweat. Geez I hated Mephiston!

Ddraiglais
21-10-2008, 01:48
And this is why you need to build some brass scorpions and return the favor.

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 02:05
I once saw a 700+ point unit of Chosen Terminators (18 of them) deep strike straight onto an enemy unit. Under the old rules the unit was automatically destroyed.

I myself had a 280 point assault marine unit do the same in 1,500 point game. That hurt!

The same Assault Squad was annihilated by a Junior Officer and his 4 IG flunkies in combat.

There's also cool old 2nd edition stuff such as my Orks bouncing a grenade off a wall straight into themselves and blowing up or Vortex grenades chewing up Dreadnoughts, Chaplains and just about anything else in total rampages of destruction or Mephiston taking out Abbaddon, Kharne and a whole slew of Chaos Space Marines without breaking a sweat. Geez I hated Mephiston!

I dunno, I took out my friends maphiston with 1 CC flyrant and a broodlord and 8 genestealers (and the hive tyrant only copped 3 wounds in 2 combats :P)

cailus
21-10-2008, 02:10
I dunno, I took out my friends maphiston with 1 CC flyrant and a broodlord and 8 genestealers (and the hive tyrant only copped 3 wounds in 2 combats :P)

Was that in 2nd edition?

Mephiston was hard in 2nd edition. We didn't know about the rules about 2 saves maximum so he had something like 3 saves from memory.

He also had a whole swathe of other cool rules.

The only time I killed him was when I aimed an assault cannon at him.

Corsair117
21-10-2008, 02:12
played a huge apoc game (cant remember points) , 2 guard armies (one mine) and tau vs. 2 marine armies and a mixed marine/titan force. third turn the tau's railguns managed to take out a warhounds void shields, fired my baneblades lascannons at it and managed to penetrate with one rolled damage and rolled a 6, 6, and a 5. unfortunately i didn't roll well for catastrophic damage and just managed to wreck it.

Was still rather humorous though:p

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 02:15
Was that in 2nd edition?

Mephiston was hard in 2nd edition. We didn't know about the rules about 2 saves maximum so he had something like 3 saves from memory.

He also had a whole swathe of other cool rules.

The only time I killed him was when I aimed an assault cannon at him.

sorry, my bad, I missed the 2nd ed part :(

It was last month actually. Everyone at my LGS is like, he's still the hardest character in 40k. And I'm like WTF he didnt even put up a fight against me... Guess i just got really lucky.

starlight
21-10-2008, 02:34
In a story very similar to the OP's, we had a massive battle in 3rd Ed with 4K Orks/2K Suit heavy Tau vs 2K SoB/2K IGAC/2K some other Imperials, likely IG.

One of the IG cannons (Laser Destroyer if I recall) took out an Ork Dread. Da Ladz were packed in so tight trying to get to the fight that the resulting explosion took out over a hundred Boyz and a couple of Buggy Squadrons. Although admittedly it was such a hilarious event that we were just taking Boyz off by the handfuls... The resulting hole was pretty impressive...until it was completely filled in the next turn:eek: as they renewed their onslaught. :D

boogaloo
21-10-2008, 02:56
i stopped using fire dragons because i played 12 games with them and have yet to WOUND a single target.... well there was this one time that i smoked a defiler... then we decided that i accidentaly cheated so i opped to start my rolls all over instead of remove my opponents defiler(it was the easiest least convoluted way to determine it)... then i missed every shot and he assaulted the crap out of me... derogatory explative!

Egaeus
21-10-2008, 04:37
I still recall the time I lost a unit of Genestealers when assaulting a Land Speeder. I must have stunned it previously and thought that it would be a good idea to take it out...it goes boom and takes the squad with it...so I end up losing about 3 times the cost of the Speeder itself in 'Stealers. The unfortuante risk of assaulting vehicles.

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 05:23
I actually lost about 750 pts worth of a 1k army once, just from assaulting various IG vehicles to kill them.

devik
21-10-2008, 06:52
I heard a story (whether its true or not is another matter) about a guy who was playing shadowrun, and rolled 20 1's when he cast a powerbolt. (for the ill informed, rolling a 1 results in a critical failer (so the more dice you roll the riskier it becomes) however the more 1's you roll results in a bigger critical failer) suffice to say, the said group called it a night after that.

I can just picture a guy trying to use a psycic power like vortex of doom, and failing his leadership test, but using an apoc 10" template for the explosion :)

dumpshock has a great story (and it's probably no more than just that -- a STORY :P ) of a group who was playing a few nights before halloween. The mage drops a fireball spell and really pumps the hell out of it with foci and casting pool, in the end throwing around 40 dice. All 1s.

The GM declared that the effect was a small-scale nuclear blast centered on the mage, taking out the entire party (and most of the city block). The story holds that the group burned their character sheets.

One time I saw a character dive out of a helicopter towards a window at a high-rise office, being a troll he expected to smash right through the window. Rolling his body vs the barrier rating of the window (something like a 3 or 4, tops) netted a whopping 0 successes. Troll proceeds to fall like a rock.

At least he was smart enough to fasten a safety rope :D

The Hobo Hunter
21-10-2008, 10:40
One of my old opponents has some of the most abysmal luck in the history of our gaming group.

For example, in one game (my cadians vs his World Eaters), my demolisher lines up some terminators, blasting all but two of the squad. The remaining two terminators easily clear the one-foot gap (khorne and all, good times....), one firing his combi-melta into the side before ramming his chainfist through the plasmacannon. The demolisher promptly explodes, wounding both terminators.

My opponent rolls snake eyes :p

He also suffers his fair share of new-model syndrome. The day we finish assembling his land raider, we decide we should test it out in a battle. First turn, it takes on my demolisher, trading lascannon blows with my tanks. Then. on turn two, a shell from the basalisk in the opposite corner comes crashing in from on high, destroying his sacred relic in an almighty explosion. The fact that his chaos lord tore through 2/3rds of my army single-handedly does make up for it though (damn those daemon-weapons kicked ass then!)

Iziuth
21-10-2008, 13:07
We had a 10000 point apocalypse game a while ago. Chaos vs Imperial. While captain Stern and the grey knights failed miserably to kill a greater daemon of tzeentch a cadia junior officer with a shotgun manages to kill one. Also the cadian survived the battle even though he was surrounded by masses of daemons. He became knwon as the daemon slayer.

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 14:27
dumpshock has a great story (and it's probably no more than just that -- a STORY :P ) of a group who was playing a few nights before halloween. The mage drops a fireball spell and really pumps the hell out of it with foci and casting pool, in the end throwing around 40 dice. All 1s.

The GM declared that the effect was a small-scale nuclear blast centered on the mage, taking out the entire party (and most of the city block). The story holds that the group burned their character sheets.

One time I saw a character dive out of a helicopter towards a window at a high-rise office, being a troll he expected to smash right through the window. Rolling his body vs the barrier rating of the window (something like a 3 or 4, tops) netted a whopping 0 successes. Troll proceeds to fall like a rock.

At least he was smart enough to fasten a safety rope :D

yep, thats the one :P

Bookwrak
21-10-2008, 17:09
Here's the actual Shadowrun story:

"My group of six runners was in the process of breaking camp to continue on our journey through some flatland. From over the horizon came the silhouette of two GMC Banshees (armored cars). Not prepared for a firefight, the team scrambled to break out the ordinance, the rigger sprints for the Bison (rugged vehicle), etc.

The troll mage, who has had an unfortunate experience with Banshees in the past, panics and tosses a fireball at the closest one, throwing in all the dice he can get his hands on. The result? He rolls 28 dice for the fireball.

The group was hushed as he shook the huge handful of dice and cast them onto the table.

They came up all ones.

So, as the Banshees bear down onto the camp, the troll mage erupted into a mushroom cloud of organic debris.

We stopped playing for the night. It was a baaadddd omen…"
One time, in a 1750 point game, Necrons vs CSM, due to mobility and perfect deep striking, my entire army was able to fire at his. 1750 points of shooting later, he'd made about a half dozen armor saves, and lost 1 marine. Nearly everything I rolled either failed to hit, or wound.

galahad67
21-10-2008, 17:25
we held a 30K apoc game at our church during Christmas week (2 days after christmas and before New years)

I went to the bathroom and when I got back my armour contintingent (4 landraiders, a blade and a Macharius) were gone.

1 really lucky titan blast into the middl of the group - two apoc explosions (the mach andthe blade and presto! no more armour...)

Same game even better result:

the person who had destroyed most of my armour was holding the valley with his titan. he had one of his necrons throw a vortex grenade at my space wolves. took out 3 SW in termie armour.

Nest turn the vortex grenade rolled onto his spider titan (homemade) and cause 3 wounds. we had caused 1 wound in the prev turn (20 lascannons and autoguns = 1 wound!)

no more spider titan!

and the wreck gave my 30 Grey Knight Termies cover from his defence station!

The game turned on a fortunate vortex grenade roll.

He didn't take a vortex grenade in the easter game...

keatsmeister
21-10-2008, 20:21
Mephiston was hard in 2nd edition.

No kidding. The only time I ever brought him down, I had to charge him with Doombreed with all his anti-psyker rules and daemonic gifts.

In reply to the OP, can't say I've had anything that drastic occur, but I will say I am so glad not to see Artillery Dice or Sustained Fire Dice in 40K anymore. Played a game using the Chimedon rules from the CItadel Journal under 2nd edition, and had my prime COmmand Unit in the transport. Fired the Battle Cannon, only to roll a Hit and Misfire, destroying my Chimedon AND Command HQ :cries:

Sekhmet
21-10-2008, 21:31
Happened to me with the Deceiver. One squad of Pathfinders fired with doom. All hit, all wounded, I failed all my saves. Deceiver exploded d6, rolled a 6. I lost 50% of my army in the resulting S6 AP2 (equivalent) explosion. Needless to say, it wasn't long before I phased out.

After that game, I started sending the Deceiver on suicide missions against giant enemy squads (like 10 man terminator assault squads with thunder hammers and a chaplain) in order to kill a few, then explode and kill the rest.

luchog
21-10-2008, 22:28
I witnessed a similar occurrence in a game I played, when my opponent had a (rather smaller) unit of deep-striking Assault Terminators scatter right on top of my Striking Scorpion squad.

He still kicked my ass, since he was playing a horribly broken asscannon-of-doom army; but it was quite the humourous moment.

MasterDecoy
21-10-2008, 22:43
Here's the actual Shadowrun story:

One time, in a 1750 point game, Necrons vs CSM, due to mobility and perfect deep striking, my entire army was able to fire at his. 1750 points of shooting later, he'd made about a half dozen armor saves, and lost 1 marine. Nearly everything I rolled either failed to hit, or wound.

well, the mere fact there is multiple versions of this story popping up indicates its probably not true.

but hey.... theres always a chance.

.H.
22-10-2008, 00:48
Happened to me with the Deceiver. One squad of Pathfinders fired with doom. All hit, all wounded, I failed all my saves. Deceiver exploded d6, rolled a 6. I lost 50% of my army in the resulting S6 AP2 (equivalent) explosion. Needless to say, it wasn't long before I phased out.

After that game, I started sending the Deceiver on suicide missions against giant enemy squads (like 10 man terminator assault squads with thunder hammers and a chaplain) in order to kill a few, then explode and kill the rest.

I realized very early on to send my Deciever well ahead, or to the flank of my army.

Once, against my friends Space Wolves, i sent the big D up on ahead as a goon to kill my friends Terminator HQ with Termie retinue (4th edition rules mind you). So, once i make combat, i proceed to punch him in the face, wound him 4 times, and watch his termies fail to wound me.

My friend is pretty pissed now, so he throws another termie squad in the mix (4 or 5 guys i think), and a Blood Claw unit (10). Well, they managed to kill the D all right, and i rolled a 6 for his expolosion, catching everyone, including a bike squad (6 guys) that happened to be passing by.

The look on my friends face when i roll only two ones on 20 dice, and he fails his Termies Invs, leaving one bike the sole survivor of a good ole' C'Tan bombing.

Ah, good times, fun times... :cool:

Sekhmet
22-10-2008, 01:04
I realized very early on to send my Deciever well ahead, or to the flank of my army.

Once, against my friends Space Wolves, i sent the big D up on ahead as a goon to kill my friends Terminator HQ with Termie retinue (4th edition rules mind you). So, once i make combat, i proceed to punch him in the face, wound him 4 times, and watch his termies fail to wound me.

My friend is pretty pissed now, so he throws another termie squad in the mix (4 or 5 guys i think), and a Blood Claw unit (10). Well, they managed to kill the D all right, and i rolled a 6 for his expolosion, catching everyone, including a bike squad (6 guys) that happened to be passing by.

The look on my friends face when i roll only two ones on 20 dice, and he fails his Termies Invs, leaving one bike the sole survivor of a good ole' C'Tan bombing.

Ah, good times, fun times... :cool:

I wiped out almost an entire CSM army one time like that. I sent my Deceiver ahead and pulled 5(!!!) berzerker squads and khorne lord, back in 4th edition. Only the Champions had powerfists so only they were hitting after the initial round (the lord was killed quickly), but needless to say it took about 3 game turns to down the Deceiver, with me killing maybe 1 squad from regular attacks. When they finally killed the Deceiver, the explosion was a 6" and basically killed ALL the berzerkers. The rest of my 1200 points took out his 400 points or so of vehicles (pred, dread, some other stuff) while this was happening. All in all, game lasted 4 turns I think.

Javelin
22-10-2008, 01:32
We had a 10000 point apocalypse game a while ago. Chaos vs Imperial. While captain Stern and the grey knights failed miserably to kill a greater daemon of tzeentch a cadia junior officer with a shotgun manages to kill one. Also the cadian survived the battle even though he was surrounded by masses of daemons. He became knwon as the daemon slayer.

I swear that shotguns are the ideal anti-Daemon weapons. I've now killed a mate's Daemon Prince 3 times with my Arbites' shotguns. The first time we both laughed, the second time only I laughed and now any mention of the word 'shotgun' provokes a stream of obscenities from him. :D

Damocles8
22-10-2008, 01:39
Um they should be Str 2 AP - hits; the droppod is open topped.....

Lord Inquisitor
22-10-2008, 01:52
Okay... I got two that come to mind.

Recently I had a game where I had pulled a 5-man raptor unit back to my lines to keep them safe. An Iron Warrior lascannon pinpointed my defiler and BOOM exploded it, 6" blast and - you guessed it - hit my raptor squad, who all died in the explosion, every one.

There was one worse than this, however, way back with the old Chaos Marine Codex. It was one of the 3rd ed scenarios - Ambush I think - and in any case I had to deploy my whole army within 3" of the center line up to halfway across the board. Fighting necrons, I needed to get close to them, so I deployed my whole army as far as I could forward, essentially circling the rhino. First turn, first shot, my opponent fired his Monolith at the rhino. He hit directly on the rhino and catching a half-dozen Chaos Marines in the blast. Ordinance 6 on the rhino, blowing it sky high with a 6" blast, obliterating my possessed and the daemonhost (the greater daemon promptly failed its instability test and vanished). Every surviving marine took a hit from the explosion, leaving me with a half-a-dozen dazed survivors. One shot took out around 90% of my army before I even had my first turn.

RedShirt
23-10-2008, 04:17
My worst to-date 40K dice-rolling was in a tag-team tournament. In one turn I had my two wych squads (10-man regular, 9-man w/ Archite) assault (one into chaos marine unit, the Archite unit into a Daemon Prince). Both units rolled the +1A combat drug. So on the charge that would be 72 regular attacks + 15 PW attacks.
End result....0 wounds (1 was inflicted on the marines which was saved, 3 against the DP which were saved....every other one failed to hit/wound)

Best moment on a single unit of shooting was during an Apoc game. 2 Titans on the board, 1 to a side. My Ravager Titan Hunter squad comes on. Uses it's special shot to ignore the Void Shields on the enemy Titan. Proceed to remove all remaining stucture points. Titan goes Nova....for 18"....and clips the Allied Titan which was 16" away from it.....Allied Titan has no shields left and 1 Structure point left......Allied Titan ends up going nova as well....for 21"
End result. somewhere close to 10,000 points of both sides forces are gone, including the Ravager squad (3 strong).

nurglez
23-10-2008, 04:25
well, not quite up to some of the stories here, but a tale of luck balancing...

during 3rd edition, while playing with my chaos vs my friends imperial guard, i ran my land raider up to his leman russ tank, jumped my termies out, but they were out of charge range, doh.

1 squads firing took out 3 of them, then about 800-900 points worth of stuff shot at the remaining 2, and i made save after save.

in my turn, they charged towards the leman russ, blew it up, and killed themselves in the process. snake eyes ftl.

Raeho
23-10-2008, 05:30
I played in a multiplayer apoc game with my grey knights, with one of my allies playing the knights as well. We both deep strike down with our redeemer forces, and his grand master chucks a vortex grenade into a mass of daemons, which proceeds to scatter right into my grand master.

Thats not all though. The next turn, the vortex bounced right back to his GM too :p. So, two of the greatest warrior of the Imperium lost in the warp, with only a single unlucky daemonette joining them. GK internal politics at work.

Deadmanwade
23-10-2008, 12:58
During a standard game of 4th ed. 40k my opponents entire Tau Gunline army (1500pts, suit heavy) fired EVERY shot at my Deathwing Command Squad, including Belial, a Standard Bearer and an Apothecary. I only missed one save and that was against a carbine so my Apothecary cancelled it out.
I lost the game, but since then my opponent has had a hatred for Deathwing that you wouldnt believe.

Also, its not quite 40k, but way way way back in the day, my friend and I were playing Space Marine (thats Epic for the newbies out there). 12000pts of Eldar vs. Marines. Turn 2, a thunderhawk gunship with 6 stands of marines lands at the foot of a phantom titan and the marines bail out and assault it. A lucky reactor hit causes it to go nuclear. The resulting blast spreads just far enough to hit the next Phantom in the line. This promptly explodes as well and catches the 3rd titan as well. THAT titan also pops and annihilates another one. By the time we'd finished rolling dice and saves the Eldar players titan contingent was gone as was around 8000 points of his army and the entire left flank and centre of the table. In exchange I lost the 6 marines and a thunderhawk. Let this be a lesson being practically invisible doesnt do squat when you're caught in a nuclear meltdown. Void Shields Rule!!!

24-10-2008, 16:28
I've heard about a squad of conscripts destroy a squad of termies

Lord Caldera
24-10-2008, 17:57
Kharn managed to destroy his entire own squad in my last game. The worst was when I played Guard with Schaeffer and the Last Chancers. I had a solo demolition charge guy throw it onto some SW. Damn thing drifted the center hole back onto the dude who threw it, didn't even touhc an enemy!
I did manage to get fifteen Conscripts under a batle cannon one game. It drifted two inches and ended up covering seventeen instead! Good game...

luchog
24-10-2008, 21:04
I've heard about a squad of conscripts destroy a squad of termies

I had one incident where I was playing the 3rd Ed "experimental" Harlequins codex from Citadel Journal, vs. Blood Angels. My Solitaire sliced through a squad of five Terminators like a hot knife through butter. Of course, these were asscannon Termies, not assault Termies; and the Solitaire was one of the most grossly overpowered and undercosted units in the game. Plus, I dropped her off a Venom, about two inchs away, so she got the full charge bonus. I didn't bother using her again after that; and dropped the Harlies soon after, because of how broken they were.

warflag
24-10-2008, 22:35
Have one too.
Must have been 3rd ed., my opponent had half his army, IG, in reserve, other half deployed in one corner. All tanks and sentinels. My stuff,CSM, was completely in reserve, only one unit made it for the first round to enter.
Enter the landraider with Terminator Lord and command squad. Codex 3.5, all geared up to the max, some 700 p all in all. So he has the first round of shooting, and he fires Russ 1, fail, second, fail, Basilisk, fail, chimeras rocket launchers, Sentinel lascannons, all fail. One thing left, a rocket, the one shot per game thing. Two sixes, LR blows up in a fireball, smoke clears and the squad is dead too.
Bad luck, but damn funny.

In another game I gave that back to him. The said squad was then deployed more carefully and from turn two sliced their way through two thirds of his army, right behind his lines, while my gun line kept him busy and under fire, hitting nothing.

Cheers
Bart

The Hobo Hunter
24-10-2008, 23:57
While my conscripts can't lay claim to an entire terminator squad, they can boast about killing an obliterator.

I can still imagine the mass of whiteshields, pinning down the obliterator's arms and legs as their squadmates stab it in the face until it dies. 2 wounds, two ones.

Spurred on by their heroic act, they consolidate into a squad of chaos marines in a nearby ruin. There they are quickly and unceremoniously dispatched by the now-pissed-off Iron Warriors.

zealousheretic
25-10-2008, 00:17
I swear that shotguns are the ideal anti-Daemon weapons. I've now killed a mate's Daemon Prince 3 times with my Arbites' shotguns. The first time we both laughed, the second time only I laughed and now any mention of the word 'shotgun' provokes a stream of obscenities from him. :D

I swear more demon princes die in humiliating ways than any other model.

My favorite story involves assaulting Tyrant and guard at a demon prince, and throwing in a brood of hormagaunts for kicks (I figured they could benefit from the consolidation if I won).

Mind you, this demon prince had a 3+ save, and FNP.

The Tyrant and DP trade blows, the DP kills a guard, the Tyrant knocks off a wound. The DP is then stabbed to death by hormagaunts. It was hilarious.

I'm absolutely positive I've told this next story before, but it's worth a repeat.

We're playing a huge mega battle game, and one of the marine players deep strikes a terminator command squad with a librarian onto one side of the board and starts enfilading us with fury of the ancients. Clever, right?

The Librarian got off one shot. The next turn, a unit of grots steps up, takes aim, and guns down three of the terminators. The grots charge amid the laughter of almost everyone involved, and pull down another terminator before they get their asses handed to them by the librarian and run.

The SM player didn't seem to think it was nearly as funny as the rest of us did...