PDA

View Full Version : Being forced to retire my army, need ideas for a new one

Zagstruk
21-10-2008, 00:08
Well the title pretty much says it all, due to my Deathwings reputation I am being forced to retire my army, since none of my friends want to play against it anymore. Because of this I'm looking to a new army, but can't find one that POPs in my head, if you know what I mean, so I have decided to look towards the wisdom of Warseer.

Desires:
1. Excels at short/medium range combat: this is something that worked out really really well for me, and I guess that it's kinda my niche playstyle

2. at least ok in CC: no use getting in the enemies face if you can't survive a assault with them

3. Mobility would be a nice change of pace from my Deathwing, but isn't absolutely needed

Desire to stay away from:
1. MEQ's: too similar to my Deathwing for me

2. Gimmik's: The nail that sticks up.....

3. Metal figures: only because they don't allow for much flexability

Any suggestions? I'm pretty flexible on the above, so as long as it has most of the above traits feel free to post

Vishok
21-10-2008, 00:12
I think you're crying out for an Eldar army.

Short/Medium range is pretty much where they do the business.

Very Mobile.

Lots of gimmicks, pick one or take a smattering of everything.

Lots of plastics, lots of metals too.

Maybe you could borrow some minis and take them for a spin. There are a lot of different angles to consider no matter which army you take.

For something completely different than your DW, try Tau.

the neckbone
21-10-2008, 00:12
deamons cause at the mo bugger all people play em and they seem like a ball to play if done right. Im thinking equal parts khrone and nurgle, khorne can take the objectives and nurgle can hold em

Ddraiglais
21-10-2008, 00:49
Vishok is right. You just described the Eldar other than wanting to stay away from gimmicks.

Eryx_UK
21-10-2008, 00:58
I agree. Eldar would fit your wants perfectly. Good luck.

Lord Malorne
21-10-2008, 01:20
Could always go ravenwing, that way they will tie in well with the deathwing and have all you asked for.

AtnaShadow
21-10-2008, 01:26
I don't want to sound too redundant, but that really is Eldar to the letter (almost). Again, the only point it differs is they do have gimmicks (what with most units being specialized to one specific task), but they are an incredibly mobile, quick army which specializes in withering hails of short-to-mid range firepower, as well as a handful of fairly dangerous close-combat units and long-range support to throw in the mix.

Word Bearer
21-10-2008, 02:07
First thing that popped into my mind when reading your brief

SISTERS OF BATTLE

Very mobile when mounted in Rhinos (which they should be)

Excel in close range fire fights

Gimmicks; well they have Faith Points which is the key to success

Only lacking in Combat, but again using Faith Points to either become Fearless or gain 3++ saves they can certainly tarpit well. Seraphim and Cannoness aren't too shabby either trading blows (for women at least)

Ok they are in Power Armour, but with T3 these girls are a very different kettle of fish to MEQ's

All metal models as well pretty much.

Hicks
21-10-2008, 02:08
I kinda agree with Lord Malorne, you could start ravenwing and still use your termies, if you really want something new. Ditching the army you love, spent all that money on and lovingly assembled and painted because your friends don't like it though is a BAD idea I think. I know I would never do it, especially if, like in your case, my army was far from being a WAAC type build.

Zagstruk
21-10-2008, 02:17
I kinda agree with Lord Malorne, you could start ravenwing and still use your termies, if you really want something new. Ditching the army you love, spent all that money on and lovingly assembled and painted because your friends don't like it though is a BAD idea I think. I know I would never do it, especially if, like in your case, my army was far from being a WAAC type build.

Hehe, well it's not that they don't like it, it's just they they hate playing it. Seriously out of all it's games(easily 250) it's lost maybe 10, and I can understand their frustration, I mean winning might not be everything, but it's no fun to always lose, and it's gotten to the point where I also don't enjoy it, massacring people leads to dull games.

That said I think I have a Ravenwing army floating around here somewhere, I'll try that out, and if I don't like it I'll give Eldar a try.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, especially if they're off the wall

PotatoLegs
21-10-2008, 02:33
I'm unsure as to why you want metal models only? Otherwise I'd suggest Orks as an option as well, maybe a Death Skull heavy list, with a focus on lots of mid-range multiple Assault guns and the like

Zagstruk
21-10-2008, 02:40
I'm unsure as to why you want metal models only? Otherwise I'd suggest Orks as an option as well, maybe a Death Skull heavy list, with a focus on lots of mid-range multiple Assault guns and the like

Actually it says that I don't want metal models, rereading it I could've worded it better, which I shall now do

PotatoLegs
21-10-2008, 02:45
You even have an Ork username as well :)

Kult of Speed maybe?

Cypher, the Emperor
21-10-2008, 03:23
I'm gonna say Dark Eldar, who, as a highly mobile force that has weak armor and excels winning combat through high initiative and ws is the polar opposite of your deathwing, and therefor would be a nice change of pace.

Victomorga
21-10-2008, 03:34
I think tyranids might be a good fit.

tons of plastics, not MEQs, strong mid-short range firefight capability, extremely fast, very strong CC, and many different varieties of builds.

I've played SM for many, many years, always DA, and when I finally started a 2nd army, I got into tyranids and have been loving the variety. I haven't fielded my force many times, but I have written a bunch of different army lists I am excited to try out.

also, from a painting/modeling/converting angle, they are a welcome change of pace.

Vexbane
21-10-2008, 04:44
Well since you have a very tough non-mobile army in deathwing I would say maybe wait for dark eldar and give them a try. They are now a glass hammer style army that I believe suits your conditions except that most things are going plastic heavy now a days.
I would say Inqisition as well (Sisters of Battle) as World Bearer said. If you already have raven wing kicking around I would suggest playing that for now until you figure out what else you wan to play.
As for your friends almost never winning against you and not wanting to play it anymore maybe you can help them try and be better players. Whenever I play against my friends I never really care if I win or lose we have a good time and usually end up helping each other out during battles anyway so we both can learn from the game.

devik
21-10-2008, 04:55
You even have an Ork username as well :)

Kult of Speed maybe?

I love my Speed Freeks army, and it plays very well in the new 'dex, since the trukk is now a dedicated transport. It's great to get in and krump 'eadz wif.

This is an army that loves short-range combat, being right up in someone's grill.

Ianos
21-10-2008, 05:19
due to my Deathwings reputation I am being forced to retire my army, since none of my friends want to play against it anymore.

What! You constantly win with deathwing? That's heresy:eek: we all know that DA are totally sub par to anything else, edit or get axed by the inquisition;)

Well, deductive reasoning says:

1. Non-MEQ means we are left with Orks, DE, Eldar, Nids, pure IG, Tau.
2. At cc capable effectively leaves out IG and Tau. Tau do have kroot but their short ranged units are not also kroot stat line so they are out.
3. Can't really decide on metal, all the remaining can have a lot to none.
4. Short to medium range combat, still leaves us with Orks, DE, Eldar and Nids. Noted that Eldar here become much more likely since they are the masters of 12"-18" guns.
5. Gimmicks, DE have the least, so they should be out, that leaves us with Orks, Eldar, Nids who still have plenty.
6. Very mobile, leaves out Nids, further boosts the Eldar here and also keeps the Orks which also have fast vehicles, infiltration and Ghaz who effectively makes the whole army jump-packed for 2 turns.

I would say, 60% Eldar/40% Orks. Try playing with both to see which one fits better:)

artmiser
21-10-2008, 05:36
Break out of your mold, Go Chaos Demon Army

The_Outsider
21-10-2008, 07:42
I'm gonna say Dark Eldar, who, as a highly mobile force that has weak armor and excels winning combat through high initiative and ws is the polar opposite of your deathwing, and therefor would be a nice change of pace.

However DE firepower is long ranged based, not short ranged like what eldar can dish out.

Daniel36
21-10-2008, 07:56
Why not just go for an army you like the look of? If your friends don't want to play your regular army I have a feeling any new army you're going to create is probably going to be of the winning formula again, so just go for something you just like, and think about tactics second. But that's just me.

Carlos
21-10-2008, 08:37
I say go with the Tau: You have unique models, a complete lack of close combat ability (and therefore a challenege to overcome) and a great range of cool looking plastic, metal and forgeworld models.

MajorWesJanson
21-10-2008, 09:20
I'd suggest Orks. Mobility is easy with Waaagh, trukks, bikes, and the new battlewagons. Close to mid range, well you have boyz with shootas, and Lootas. Assault? It's orks. They live for assault.

andyg2006
21-10-2008, 09:52
I guess it depends on how much you want to do somethings over others, but -just to put a spanner in the works- I'd have said something like Necrons:
Maybe they're not great in assault, but they're really hard to kill and very good at short to medium ranges.
You can get mobility from stuff like Wraiths, anything which has a Destroyer body and Flayed Ones and you can also teleport people via a Monolith.

Plus, allegedly, the Star-Gods will NOT be in the forthcoming Codex...yay!...in favour of different level (Gold/Silver/etc) Necron Lords...even more yay!

Wolflord Havoc
21-10-2008, 09:57
I had the same issue some years back with my Space Wolves spanking all comers eventually the crying of my opponents lost its appeal so I decided to start an army as completely opposed to the Space Wolves as you can get.

Tau.

I 'rescued' an army from eBay added a few units and then started gaming.

And began losing a lot.

Despite a losing streak of 12 + games, it was a fantastic learning curve for me and I think it massively improved the way in which I play the game.

You have to improve your basic game when you can no longer rely on your troops to carry out what ever task you throw at them you have to learn to plan ahead to a much greater extent than I had to with my Space Wolves - once I learned to do this I started to win with the Tau.

It had been a very rewarding gaming experiance for me and I urge you to do the same (not necessarily Tau - but something different to Death Wing).

BigJon
21-10-2008, 10:00
If you can wait awhile I would hold off till the Guard were rereleased. While not the CCW warriors you were hoping for I do think the new guard are going to offer a ton of flexability. If you can't wait think Tyranids. Good shooting, great CCW, decent saves
and good troop choices for grabing objectives.

BigJon

AdmiralDick
21-10-2008, 10:30
have to say when you described what you wanted it sounded like Sisters of Battle, but when you said what you didn't want it sounded more like Eldar.

the other suggestion of Daemons might work for you, but then if you're army is being retired because its too successful then the drop in victories might be a little hard to swallow. Dark Eldar might also be worth a look at. the current mini range is not good, but you could use other minis (a mix of Eldar, Wood Elves and Dark Elves might be a start).

Doomseer
21-10-2008, 10:37
I think you would enjoy the flexibility the Eldar offer, failing that if they're not your thing try Tyranids or Orks as they are always fun to play against.

I guess it just depends how many models you are up for assembling/painting!

x-esiv-4c
21-10-2008, 11:10
I would say Daemons but you don't want to go to heavy on the metal (which I can understand (bitch to convert)).

Guess I'll throw my hat in for Eldar.

Iziuth
21-10-2008, 11:52
Hi I would say go for Orks Orks Orks!!!

Don't have em myself, but they are always fun to play against. There is never a dull moment, even when your getting thrashed. Also with the new releases comming up there is a ton of plastics, that is easy to convert.

As for Eldar I do have those but the range does have a lot of metal in it.

hazzerlord
21-10-2008, 15:47
how about starting a necron army there insane

hazzerlord
21-10-2008, 15:48
they get knocked down then get up again on a roll of 4+

Zagstruk
21-10-2008, 17:23
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate the suggestions. Especially the Eldar and Orks....I think I'm going to go with Orks since out of the 12 armies up here 3 are Eldar, and nobody up here plays orks. Plus it'll give me a nice change from the whole "33 models in 1850 pts" thing that Deathwing has going, and allow me to experiment with new playstyles over time. Perhaps by the end of the year Wazdakka's WAAAGH! shall be thundering across our battlefields(after some serious playtesting)

Necron's though huh? Maybe, maybe....