PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Chaos on Cadia...

WrYpoRrY
21-10-2008, 05:15
A friend asked me today (he'd been reading up on Cadia on the Lexicanum),
"There's chaos-controlled worlds in the Cadian system, so why doesn't the Imperium do something about it?"

Thought all you great WarSeers would be able to find him an answer.

My guess is that they're dealing with the Eye of Terror chaos.

FashaTheDog
21-10-2008, 05:31
Well the official reason is the whole 13th Black Crusade has sent that area reeling and the Imperium has yet to mount a response to it what with the massive strain its under now. The real reason is that Abaddon plays poker with Calgar, Yarrik, and Ghazghkull every Thursday and a while back Yarrik wagered a few planets in the Cadia system and lost with two pair to Abaddon's full house. Since they still play poker, they can't invade the worlds without losing Abaddon since they've already had to kick Eldrad out for cheating.

Oh and in regards to your sig, you should really look into Orks as the Goff Rocker do the same thing but look like Slash.

pinegulf
21-10-2008, 06:03
Well, maybe imperials evaluate the zone as 'safe enough'. It would cost more to bring marines flush chaos all out than leave the situation to be handled by local defence forces. Or maybe all recources are spent in that area.

Or maybe the petition is stuck in some obscure imperial bureaucracy office. Heh, I'd imagine some incompetent servitor sent out 'all clear'-signal and since offical imperial employees never make mistakes...

TheOverlord
21-10-2008, 07:14
One of those worlds is now completely dedicated to Nurgle and has become a Daemon World, if I'm not wrong, so they can't take that back, only nuke it back to space dust.

Khaine's Messenger
21-10-2008, 08:50
"There's chaos-controlled worlds in the Cadian system, so why doesn't the Imperium do something about it?"

Well, first of all, the Imperium is big. Really big. Really, I'd say take a peek at the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if it weren't for the sad fact that the Imperium prefers the Encyclopedia Galactica. But anyway, there are alien races earmarked for annihilation that have toddled on in blissful ignorance of the wider galaxy for centuries because the Imperium hasn't got around to the paperwork necessary to glass their major population centers and throw a few colony fleets their way. So it should tell you something when the Imperium is in such a state of alert that they're pulling troops from locations that would require over a year's worth of in-warp travel time, the potential cost of who knows how many Navigators' sanities, and the loss of worlds to little blue men without noses just to hold this region of space. Needless to say, the Imperium is on the case. Just you wait. In about a century or so, when this war's really got its dander up and we've cunningly redefined the nature of "victory," we'll see who's tops. The key is this: Don't Panic.

;)

Seriously. I know BC13 is effectively "over," but these things travel at the speed of narrative convenience. The Imperium can't just "do something" about it because the Imperium's been doing something about it--that's what the semi-player-controlled EoT campaign was about, after all--and getting mauled. Terribly.

Michael M.
21-10-2008, 09:48
Well the official reason is the whole 13th Black Crusade has sent that area reeling and the Imperium has yet to mount a response to it what with the massive strain its under now. The real reason is that Abaddon plays poker with Calgar, Yarrik, and Ghazghkull every Thursday and a while back Yarrik wagered a few planets in the Cadia system and lost with two pair to Abaddon's full house. Since they still play poker, they can't invade the worlds without losing Abaddon since they've already had to kick Eldrad out for cheating.

Oh and in regards to your sig, you should really look into Orks as the Goff Rocker do the same thing but look like Slash.

What the heck has Calgar to do with it? Who the hell is Calgar. Heīs just as needless as the balls of an eunuch. He hadnīt been there. Itīs the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar, who lead the defense of the Cadian Gate. And i think you mean Creed and not Yarrik.

Magister
21-10-2008, 11:09
Its a joke i think

straightsilver21
21-10-2008, 11:37
What the heck has Calgar to do with it? Who the hell is Calgar. Heīs just as needless as the balls of an eunuch. He hadnīt been there. Itīs the Great Wolf Logan Grimnar, who lead the defense of the Cadian Gate. And i think you mean Creed and not Yarrik.

uhh,.. seriously?

FashaTheDog
21-10-2008, 17:55
Now now Michael M, you forget Grimnar and Creed don't like poker, they're both into peanuckle.

Granted with Mat Ward's Ultramarine fanboyism oozing out of the new Marine codex, your comment about the usefulness of Calgar is rather entertaining.

WrYpoRrY
24-10-2008, 04:56
Thanks Khaine's Messenger, I'll get my friend to look at your answer. He plays Dawn of War a lot and is militantly anti-anything chaos.

If he was female, he'd be a SoB.

El_Machinae
24-10-2008, 15:11
It's very expensive to take back a system, and with Cadia it's a system that needs to be taken back using crushing force. Overwhelming force. And then they need to rebuild the infrastructure as fast as they can.

I guess they're preparing the resources to do so. But it's tough.

Unclejo
24-10-2008, 15:19
They haven't taken it back yet because they had to strip other areas of troops just to defend the Eye, and they lost. Unless theres a new mass conscription drive its going to be very hard to get entrenched Chaos forces out.

ryng_sting
24-10-2008, 18:44
Abaddon's forces have ravaged or conquered much of the Cadian sector, but the Imperial Navy controls the space lanes. This will make it harder for Abaddon's ravaged fleet to link up with ground troops, consolidate gains, or muster for mutual support.

DapperAnarchist
24-10-2008, 18:58
They could have it under a cold siege... Just doddering along, waiting for the right chance.

heretics bane
24-10-2008, 19:01

Wasnt that not Aremegetton? or did they contribute aswell.

The imperium is huge, so big that it takes ages for forces to muster then do anything so to muster a crusade in the cadian center would take the better half of a century just to get the message through to the guards etc.

Sure sometimes forces arrive to support a world under atttack only to arrive years late.

Clockwork-Knight
24-10-2008, 19:37
Abaddon's forces have ravaged or conquered much of the Cadian sector, but the Imperial Navy controls the space lanes. This will make it harder for Abaddon's ravaged fleet to link up with ground troops, consolidate gains, or muster for mutual support.On the other hand, the mortal chaos followers can and will do obscene sacrifices to summon daemon legions for assistance.
So it's up to the Imperium how fast it can bring reinforcement before all planets suffer the fate of turning into daemon worlds, or having almost no population and infrastructure worth conquering it back.

GabrielEvander
24-10-2008, 19:59
Wasnt that not Aremegetton? or did they contribute aswell.

The imperium is huge, so big that it takes ages for forces to muster then do anything so to muster a crusade in the cadian center would take the better half of a century just to get the message through to the guards etc.

Sure sometimes forces arrive to support a world under atttack only to arrive years late.

no Calger just sent an Honour Company The Great Wolf was put in command by consensus of the Marines at Cadia except the Unforgiven who were under command of Supreme Grand Master Azrael

and Calger and his little buddies are just GW poster boys now it makes The First weep :cries:

Khaine's Messenger
24-10-2008, 20:05
The Honour Company has been serving at the Cadian Gate since before Marneus Calgar was a twinkle in the cup that catches the Emperor's tears. Please don't turn this thread into another whinefest about the new Space Marine codex. :o:p

GabrielEvander
24-10-2008, 20:11
i wasn't sure if it was around before or whats but i know that there were 20 chapters created to protect the Gate also it take alot of tactical logistical and personal preperation to even invade a small country so it would be unbeliveble if the Imperium could invade the Gate within 10 years because of it is usless and has just had its behind handed to it by chaos

Firaxin
25-10-2008, 01:29
For those of you who haven't realized yet, Fasha's explanation is in fact the Truth. An Awesome and Win Truth.

Alessander
25-10-2008, 01:48
The 13th black crusade isn't over, it's still an ongoing event, just like the 3rd battle for armageddon is still ongoing.

Khaine's Messenger
25-10-2008, 02:43
Indeed. That's one of the things that rubbed me raw about the event--it seemed highly unlikely to me that the span of time represented by the player-participation event could be the whole Thirteenth Black Crusade. Still, that phase is over, and Chaos "won." In one sense, the only part of the Thirteenth Black Crusade that was of any interest to the participating fanbase is over and had its results spelled out in no uncertain terms. One may console oneself with the "fact" that such campaigns tend to last far longer than this span of time and the title of ultimate victor is up in the air. That can ring a little hollow for one side while denigrating the accomplishments of the other, but still, them's the breaks.