PDA

View Full Version : kitting out my savage orc boss

Nighthawke
21-10-2008, 09:43
hey guys im having trouble deciding what to give him
should i make him 7 attacks at str 5, or make him st 6 with 6 attacks rerolling or st 7 with 6 attacks etc, i just cant choose :confused:

DeathlessDraich
21-10-2008, 09:55
Probability to wound
Against T4; 4+AS, lower WS:
7 S5 - 2.6 wounds
6 S6 re-rolling hits - 4.4
7 S6 - 3.1

I would suggest 6S6 with re-rollable hits.

BigbyWolf
21-10-2008, 10:23
What about 8 Str 8 attacks? :-)

Nighthawke
21-10-2008, 10:49
lol how would that happen without the last waagh weapon and screaming sword?
as hes my general hes not going to be mounted on a wyven so no the screaming sword, and 100 points for that rank bonus thing i dont really like as its a lot of points and chances are your orc unit will be quite shot by the time you get there
ok so take the akrit axe and kicken boots, what should the other 45 points be spent on to help improve?

BigbyWolf
21-10-2008, 12:29
Yeah- wasn't being totally serious about that...:)

Akrit Axe and boots are a good way to go, particularly as it leaves enough points free to take the Enchanted Shield and Best Boss 'At if you want to give him some extra protection.

Mounted on a boar is another idea if you have the model- an extra 2 S 5 attacks on the charge can be quite handy...

Harwammer
21-10-2008, 12:43
6 str 6 with rerolls, enchanted shield and iron gnashers. Estimated 3 rounds in 4 you'll land a killing blow.

BigbyWolf
21-10-2008, 12:50
If you take the gnashers you lose an attack- one of them came from the boots i believe...

Braad
21-10-2008, 13:46
I think it was Avian who once came up with combining the spitefull shield with the spell that turns all 6'es into ones. It would require some shamans though...

The Iron gnasha's are only really nice if you go hunting vampire lords and that kind of stuff.

Mounting a savage warboss on a boar is not smart when you want to field him in a unit of footsloggers. If the enemy is over 4 but less then 7" away, he'll charge out of the unit due to frenzy.

I think the re-rolling hits would be the best choice of the ones you present. Tha'ts the Akritt axe combined with the kickin' boots for a total of 60 points, right? Warboss 'at is nice, but you already have the warpaint save, so only an improvement of +1 on your ward save. Maybe add in the spitefull shield and the collar of zorga, for a total of 90 points magic items.

Also, the collar of zorga sounds like a good item to put on a savage orc :)

BigbyWolf
21-10-2008, 13:55
Akrit Axe and boots should be 55 points.

With regards to the boar, I was working on the idea that he could be placed with a unit of Boarboys, if he's intended to be used on foot then you're quite right- no boar.

Nighthawke
21-10-2008, 20:48
well i just used him with akrit axe, boots, enchanted shield and warboos hat
had him in a unit of savage orcs and screened with snotilings, and im in love with savage orcs now lol
they were charged by cold ones and a hydra on 2 wounds, and won lol
they are very efficent, just wish they did models in plastic, theyd sell soo well
we were thinking of putting him in a unit of boar boys and adding them a standered bearer with the banner of butchery, but would be very exspense, but very efficent unit killer
ty for the help guys

Harwammer
21-10-2008, 21:14
I can't remember who mentioned this, its not my idea, but I don't know who to give credit to, but you can put a SO WB/BB on a boar in foot sloggers. You just have you use snots to block his LoS but leave space either side for the rest of the unit to see.

Nighthawke
21-10-2008, 22:59
lol i know i used to put my blorc in a unit with a boar

Harwammer
21-10-2008, 23:26
nighthawke; unless your blorc had frenzy from battle brew, that is a different kettle of fish. The problem with the SOrc on boar in a foot unit is the enemy can draw him out by putting a unit 13 inches away: out of reach of the foot sloggers, but in range of the character (who is forced to charge by frenzy).

Nighthawke
22-10-2008, 00:07
yeah i know this lol, its why i/ anyone ive seen have ever put a mounted frenzy character in a unit on foot as its silly, unless you can get a unit of cheap people in the way like snotlings, but these tend to be easy to kill via shooting

theunwantedbeing
22-10-2008, 00:15
6st6 with re-rolls.
Make sure he's on foot (so can't get baited out of his unit) and not fighting enemy character's. You want him to be an infantry shredder, rather than a character killer.

Put him in a unit of boar boyz though and he's well worth having on the boar for the extra killing power.

Of course you can throw caution to the wind and put him on the boar and let him charge out of unit's, you'll need to support him with another character/unit who can also charge that same unit so he doesnt get sucked into a challenge and beaten.
(note that unit's 6+ wide can't force you to fight the champion in most cases so against these unit's he can win)

feeder
22-10-2008, 02:49
Akrit Axe and boots are a good way to go, particularly as it leaves enough points free to take the Enchanted Shield and Best Boss 'At if you want to give him some extra protection.

This combo on a Black Orc with 'eavy armour is pretty much the 'ardest, most reliable nut in the Orc Book.

Braad
22-10-2008, 05:51
No, Grimgor is the 'ardest, most reliable nut in the book :p

What you could do, put him in a unit of boar boyz and put in the pigstikka somewhere. Add the boots, collar of zorga and the enchanted shield, + a boar and light armour (all warbosses can have light, IIRC), and your set to go! Against any fully ranked weak infantry unit, you'll dish out 9 attacks at S6 on the charge by the boss, and 2 additional S5 attacks by the boar. Hits back have to strike through 2+ AS, and reduced dragon damage to 1/4 by the collar.

While I'm on the go, take that savage warboss, put him in a chariot (I believe that's in the options, right?) with the above setup, and you'll dish out 9 S6, 4 S5 and 1 S4 attacks and D6+1 S5 impact hits. That's 16 to 21 hits, against T3 resulting in about 10 to 16 wounds. That'll beat a ranked unit!

Avian
22-10-2008, 07:44
A Savage Big Boss with the Pigstikka (plus light armour and shield if you feel like it) in a chariot is a LOT of bang for your bucks against the right target. Up to eleven(!) Strength 5 attacks, in addition to the impact hits (and two S4 attacks from the orc crewman).

Braad
22-10-2008, 18:00
I just said that...

But does the crewman also get an extra attack?

Avian
22-10-2008, 18:07
Both the crewman and the boars get extra attacks.

And your suggestion was much more expensive than mine. :p

warlord hack'a
22-10-2008, 20:31
and also not correct: that combo gives you 15 attacks (not hits!) plus d6+1 impact hits. So you can expect 9 hits from the boars, general and orc crewman plus an average of 4.5 impact hit, totalling 13.5 hits, not 16-21..

Still kills a lot though.. But I prefer a big boss and then my general on wyvern with shagas or on a boar with auni of svg rocs (but then my general is a black orc).

Braad
23-10-2008, 05:29
@ Avian
Ow right. True. You don't really need much fancy stuff on that.

@ Hack'a
Argh, stop nitpicking. You just made me fail my animosity... :p
But also true. Was I sleeping?
When they bring out savage orc plastics (if they ever do...) I'll probably make one like this.

Nighthawke
23-10-2008, 08:37
as soon as they make them plastic im doing an army of them
theyd sell reallywell though so i dont get why they havnt done it

BigbyWolf
23-10-2008, 12:24
I used to run a Savage Orc army...great fun!

A few 25 strong units, backed up by smaller detachment style 10 strong units (all with extra choppa) as well as 4 units of 6 S.O Boars and a few forest goblin spider riders, but that was before I learned how to kill things with rock lobbers. I still use em now and then for a laugh- when you've got a table full of frenzied units it makes is awkward for your opponent to bait them.