PDA

View Full Version : army choice = personality

ChrisMurray
21-10-2008, 12:32
After readings some of the threads around here lately and aving a think about it, I come to a simple question that I'm hoping we can discuss\find a general answer to.

Do certain armies in 40k attract certain personalities? Also does your play style\army composition\faction(ie sm-dark angels, orks-goffs) attract certain personalities.

I understand that any theorys on this will be a broad generalisation and also vary from area to area.

Also this is not a discussion to flame a certain army\group.

chromedog
21-10-2008, 12:41
I'm a SM player (for 20 years) and i take high umbrage at this assertion that I play because I like to win. That is not a good reason to play. You play for the want of playing (yes, I know, ALL losers say that. Competition for its own sake, etc).

I don't care about w/l ratios - I wouldn't still be playing if I did. I'd be playing tic tac toe.

pringles978
21-10-2008, 12:46
so if i collect multiple armies....

ChrisMurray
21-10-2008, 12:49
I am not stating that sm players only play to win as I eprsonally don't believe that, I used as one of many examples as on warseer that seems to be a common comment.

As I said this topic is not to flame any armies\personalities\person\group.

Sidstyler
21-10-2008, 12:50
Kinda funny to ask people not to flame when you yourself suggested in the opening post that all Space Marine players are "intent on winning".

Which is kind of stupid, how many people in here intend on losing when setting up their army? Do you play to lose?

EDIT: Oh don't try to back out of it now...lol.

Anyway, no, I don't think you can judge people based on their army. Not even broad generalizations. I mean you can look at someone's army and think "Oh, IG, maybe he's a WW2 buff of sorts", but how often will that actually be the case? Each army has several different aspects that attract all sorts of people...for instance, not all Tau players are anime fans. Not all Tyranid players even like the Alien movies. And so on...

vampires are cool!
21-10-2008, 12:54
One could assume your eating your own pants pringles978.

Nero
21-10-2008, 12:59
Well, I play Chaos, Tyranids, Eldar and High Elves, so no, I don't think it says a great deal. Unless I'm schizophrenic.

That said, I've noticed that Smurf Marines and Necrons tend to attract the kiddies at my LFGS. Not that I want to imply anything, but everyone who plays vanilla Space Marines or Necrons is a kid!

/facetious

Hicks
21-10-2008, 13:36
5 out of 6 of my armies are Imperials, the other is nids. I guess I like alliances, good people and nature even at it's worse.

21-10-2008, 13:36
well my first and only army (TANITH! not really but it sounds like it) is eldar but i don't have quick reactions however what i do have is high-ish (not boasting by the way) intellegance so....maybe...
but on the subject that nero said genrally people at my GW who are older than year 8 (so 12-13+, like me) is either a smurf hater or just a xeno player or non- sm imperial OR play BT,BA,SW or DA. but kids younger than that seem too only get four races which is nids, tau, vanilla SM (UM that is ) and necrons

x-esiv-4c
21-10-2008, 13:37
I currently play Deathguard. However aside from my DG army, I also own a Nurgle daemon army, Pre-heresy deathguard and currently converting a nurgle-zombie IG army.
That pretty much covers most of the play-styles. As far as personality? I've been playing since RT. I have no personality.

Durandal
21-10-2008, 13:41
well my first and only army (TANITH! not really but it sounds like it) is eldar but i don't have quick reactions however what i do have is high-ish (not boasting by the way) intellegance so....

I hope that was ironic! ;)

EVIL INC
21-10-2008, 13:53
Offhand, I would say that it is more likely that the player would inject thier personality into the army they play (whatever it is) more often then it affects thier choice of army.
Not to say that some people dont choose thier army type to match thier personality of course. That ,when it is done, is usually done with thier first army.

Penguin of Death
21-10-2008, 13:57
I've got Space Wolves because my brother got the Orks from the 2nd ed starter box and Wolves seemed to have the most interesting fluff of all the Marine
I've got some IG becuase I like the tanks
I've got a few Orks because I lke the new Trukks

pringles978
21-10-2008, 15:01
One could assume your eating your own pants pringles978.

nom nom nom...

i think this is fair to a point, i remember reading an article in an aincient white dwarf talking about somethimg similar with roleplay characters. i do tend to play armies based on what mood im in though,chaos when im feeling evil, orks for fun, eldar arty and thoughtfull, marines when i feel i MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS!!! SOMEBODY STOP THAT BANDWAGON, I WANT TO GET ON!!! VULCAN IN AN ULTRAMARNES ARMY!!! STERNGUARD!!! DROP PODS!!!
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! (collapses in pool of dribble):rolleyes:

Durandal
21-10-2008, 15:13
nom nom nom...

i think this is fair to a point, i remember reading an article in an aincient white dwarf talking about somethimg similar with roleplay characters. i do tend to play armies based on what mood im in though,chaos when im feeling evil, orks for fun, eldar arty and thoughtfull, marines when i feel i MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS!!! SOMEBODY STOP THAT BANDWAGON, I WANT TO GET ON!!! VULCAN IN AN ULTRAMARNES ARMY!!! STERNGUARD!!! DROP PODS!!!
AAARRRGGGHHH!!! (collapses in pool of dribble):rolleyes:

Are Eldar considered arty? Perhaps the OP has a point then. They're my first army and I'm a fine art graduate.

setekhite
21-10-2008, 15:16
Given the diversity of most current armies, I think it would be hard to pin down a stereotype.

That said, in the days of v3 niche lists, two stood out for how awful their players were - Ulthwe and Armoured Company. Every player of those armies I met seemed to be the worst kind of powergaming geek. Perhaps I was just very unlucky...

Arhalien
21-10-2008, 15:22
Hmm.. well, the fact that my first 3 armies were (and still are) High Elves, Eldar and Wood Elves in that order may say something, as does the fact that I started a chaos army and put it on hold in favour of Brettonians...

Maybe I;m just too much of a goody-goody at heart :rolleyes:

iaguz
21-10-2008, 15:22
I can actually agree with this a bit. I play a breakaway faction of Space Wolves who turned Khornate. Their simple motivation is to fight, steal and drink. Basically, picture Vikings who roam around in an intergalactic Longship, worshipping the God of Blood, war and killing just going around pillaging what they can find, drinking anything alcoholic, fighting the toughest foes they can face and stealing what they need to get by on.

Basically, it's the most METAL a 40k army can get (Necron puns notwithstanding).

And to an extent this mirrors my personality. I am the excited "let's get in there" beserker type of player/person. I don't listen to much music, although when a mate gave me his entire Iron Maiden collection, I quickly become something of a fan, and I do prefer the more meatier songs in Guitar Hero.

I get gregarious when I'm winning, and generally loudly upset when losing. My main reason to sticking to Khorne isn't the steep tactical challenge (lolwut?) but more the enjoyment earned from rolling 41 WS 5, Str 5, Int 5 attacks (5 of them being from a power weapon). It's carnage of the batshit crazy insane kind that I enjoy dishing out.

I'm a competitive player, but not the bad kind. You know, the bad one which stays up all night thinking of the nastiest unit combination and most beardiest army list conceivable and turns up with a double Lash of Submission army with 3 units of 3 Obliterators in it? Nah, I play to win, but not at all costs. To me, if you're not even going to try, GTFO, but the best games are when both players are trying their hardest to win without becoming ******s in the process.

As for other things I enjoy, I tend to enjoy "manly" or "extreme" over the top comedies for a start. A good example is the show Double the Fist, on Australian TV (first season, second one sucks). It's stupidly violent, violently stupid and hilarious.

I'm kind of like those crazy uber guys in movies and ****, the ones who train real hard like every day and flip out and murder a ton of people, looking for the biggest challenge they can find. Kind of like Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors/ancient Chinese legend, if that helps. The sonuvabitch with the biggest own-stick he can find and the near suicidal impetus that pushes him on to find whatever he can find and fight it.

Well, ok, excluding the fact I'm really a massive nerd, I totally WOULD be like that guy, if you get what I mean.

I've got other armies, but none interest me quite like my Dire Wolves do.

EVIL INC
21-10-2008, 15:23
Are Eldar considered arty? Perhaps the OP has a point then. They're my first army and I'm a fine art graduate.
Not just "arty" but downright "artsy fartsy" ;)

boogaloo
21-10-2008, 15:41
I am noticing alot of Eldar players = Like Arts. Thats kinda what got me into it, not an 'eavy metal painter or nothing but i do enjoy makin a pretty picture now and then. I also am a little arrogant and anal retentive about things being done properly (follow the path?)

An interesting thing that i find about the Eldar codex is that it really kinda makes you take on the role of a Farseer. You really almost do need to see into the future, be three steps ahead of your opponent, cuz odds are they outnumber you have S4 and 3+ armour....

Madfool2
21-10-2008, 16:01
Personally I'm one for armies of elite dudes doing what they do best.

So Space marines of both kinds, Chaos daemons are elite (Hell yeah, need to get another army of them one day), Eldar, and that's about all that suit me, I've tried the horde thing but it just didn't work. Oh and Tau.

My personality is generally one about total obliteration of enemy units if I see them, I believe those 5 armies are the best that suit me. :)

I like to attempt to "Get into the mind set" of whatever I'm playing, so with Tau I shot everything that would get close and pummel me to death, Chaos was mostly about having my Terminators Charge! Eldar was about focus fire, and Chaos daemons were "Hilarious" I just hated painting Horrors and Daemonettes too much :P

totgeboren
21-10-2008, 16:22
Well, my Word Bearers are in many ways the exact opposite of my personality, but at the same time the same.

I have a world view thats kinda stubbornly set in stone, even when presented with evidence that points to something else. Though at the same time, the truth the Word Bearers embrace is the exact opposite of my own view.

I have always enjoyed being 'the bad guys', even when I was a little kid. And for me religions convictions represent the absolute 'evil' compared to my secular 'truth'. Also the self-righteous attitude that "I'm right and you are wrong and thats all there is to it" kinda mirrors myself I suppose.
Dunno, I have always enjoyed contrasts and contradictions. :)

Orks are just fun. I mean, they represent a kinda longing for a simple life, where nothing is complicated.

My traitor guards... hmmm.... dunno. They just look so frikkin awesome, and a pleasure to paint when you go for a more realistic paint job ala Forgeworld, instead of the cartoon-style of GW.

Ianos
21-10-2008, 16:31
I once wrote of a way to categorize armies as personalities and rough draft of their place in the zodiac. However when trying to understand human personalities according to army we should not really look at the race being played but at the force comp and the reasons behind it.

For example, i have a gaming buddy who as a person hates failure and always wants to hit his mark. He does not really care for getting more as for succeeding the most at what he does. He will always blame dice as non-favoring (he notices his fail more than any) and will do his best to include units and weapons that are almost auto-hit/wound/save. He plays different armies but the moto is the same, minimization of risk/maximization of accuracy despite the loss of opportunity. I think he is a Sagittarius btw :D

As for me, i definitely notice a trend on they way i build and play armies. I usually do not footslog (unless i can have very fast feet like the ones Ghaz gives) and i mostly revert to mobility and avoid protracted combat. My main army is Eldar and i played fast/semi since forever. However i have come to the conclusion that my main trait is none of the above really. I can use sloggers, heavy ranged infantry, resilient units etc, provided that my force is coherent and can apply it's full strength at any point i wish. So my main thing is that i love overwhelming force which can be used in either massive stunning or divided killing. My opposite is holding things back, to be used later, waiting around and being passive.

Aegius
21-10-2008, 16:36
I have 3 armies in total; marines, eldar and guard. My guard are a side project as I'm one of those people that can't stand to use unpainted models and takes a little bit of time painting their units. So the only 2 armies I really have are Eldar and Marines, small elite forces.

Sceleris
21-10-2008, 16:39
I think virtually every force in all of the GW ranges I've played have been "evil":

DG, Wordbearers, LatD, daemons and traitor guard for 40K; chaos, undead, DE & orcs in WHFB; chaos in Battlefleet Gothic and Epic; DE in bloodbowl.

Probably the only exceptions were harlequins in 2nd ed, redemptionists in necromunda and an empire warband in mordheim.

I just get more fun out of being the bad guy.

Radium
21-10-2008, 18:15
I've become somewhat of a hardcore Eldar players, and 40k players around here know me for that, mostly because I run a pure foot aspect based army.

What does that say about my personality? I dunno? I'm a programmer, I like black metal, and I don't believe in right and wrong, everything is just a grey sludge.

So uh... you decide!

Putty
21-10-2008, 18:22
for 40k, i started with Black Templars because i love the iron cross black power armor eternal crusade fluffy thingy.

but i realised something... they were not angry enough...

Its tyranids for me since then... But I might attempt to put together an Angry Marines army one day...

Bloodknight
21-10-2008, 18:38
OK, I currently play Imperial Guard, Dark Eldar, Death Guard and World Eaters. Construct the personality behind that. ;)

BaronDG
21-10-2008, 19:02
My friend is a traddie catholic and he plays Dark Angels, there is definetly a connection.

Maybe it's just calling the arch-enemy Luther...

kaimarion
21-10-2008, 19:08
Well I collect Nids, Orks, Tau, Daemons, CSM, Fantasy Chaos and renegade SM.
I do prefer armies that are CC orientated and alot of my models(CSM, SM, WoC) including my warhound are all khornate. I'am a metal-head and love pits so take from that what you will.

Akuma
21-10-2008, 19:09
In short - as an Academic Level Psychologyst ( althought not in US - so dont mind my grammar ;) ) all i can say it's - go read C.G Jung - yes - certain armys create certain imiges , connect to some stereotypes and as such appel more to some people then others - seriously go throught Jung - you will know what I'm talking about.

FashaTheDog
21-10-2008, 19:24
So what does owning every army but Chaos Daemons (can't start them...yet, Hordes need love too) say about me? I know my Orks will single me out as a child of the 80s but when a mob of Orks in white jump suits wearing red stepped hats pull up in a DeLorean, you must whip it, whip it good.

Akuma
21-10-2008, 19:50
"So what does owning every army but Chaos Daemons (can't start them...yet, Hordes need love too)"

1. That you either have a lot of money or devote very much time to war gaming
2. The - "I need every army syndrome" means that you are not very decisive person and for the second time - that you love wargaming :)

Get me right - there is no way of profiling a man by the sole spectrum of armys he has - normal sociometric data ( age , occupation , family etc ) are needed to.

EmperorEternalXIX
21-10-2008, 19:50
I have seen a lot of correlations between army and army owner.

I will say this: My bestest bud has been my friend since we were kids, and our whole lives he has struggled for social acceptance. He desperately wants to be a winner.

His army choices are Necrons, Tau, and now, Salamanders.

I've seen plenty of other correlations, that is just one example.

I play Space Marines, and I won't lie -- I am a bit on the macho "Chainsaws and shotguns" side of the fence. I play them because I really like their fluff...but then again...it is in line with everything else I like ("Big huge stuff that kicks unimaginable amounts of ass!" in other words).

There are definitely correlations. I notice all the eldar players I meet always LOOK an awful lot like eldar themselves -- lanky, ribby dudes with elven, angular faces. Weird...

MrBigMr
21-10-2008, 19:52
I started Guard because I've always been a fan of the underdog and the nitty gritty army stuff.

I've never really liked Chaos because of the corrupt evil style and all that. But I got attacked from two sides on the matter. First I started a Slaaneshi fleet in BFG just to counter a friend's Eldar. It's a local joke, the town's only two BFG players hate each others' guts. Then I started a Slaaneshi daemonic legion (with the SoC list) as my first WHFB army because it was easy enough for me to play and I liked the speed of it. And yes, because of the Diaz models, lets not kid ourselves. But when I had to choose from misshapen blobs, rotten corpses and stereotypical super angry macho BS monsters, I made my bed and slept in it gladly.

After that I began doing a 40K army based on that BFG fleet of mine, so that's another Slaaneshi army. I've also put together a Slaanesh Chaos Dwarf army mainly because I don't like normal dwarfs nor the top hat "fire" dwarfs. And since it gave me a good chance to do some conversions I hadn't been able to do so far, I opted for another Slaaneshi army. Also fits with the dwarf seeking riches, all the artistry and having lots of pride in themselves. And I've planned a Slaaneshi Tau CP.

So, if tells something about me, you just have to figure it out on your own as I know the answer and I ain't telling.

Lame Duck
21-10-2008, 20:00
This is basically just like star signs. Each person will pick the best traits of their army and remarkably, they WILL apply to you!

toymaker
21-10-2008, 20:27
I have a large Death Guard army and working on the 1st half of a 2000 pt World Eater Army.
So if my army reflects my personality, it means that I have a reasonably sized anger issue and a big case of the sniffles

Magma And Ash
21-10-2008, 20:48
In answer to your question, I think the relationship between players and their armies akin to what people say about people and their pets. Just like the trailer park long hair that drinks beer all day and listens to Kid Rock at his radio's highest volume in his trailer home that has windows draped in confederate flags all the while training his pit bull to kill black folk. If this bloke did not have to pay child support to 5 dif. women, had sufficient funds for an army, assuming he had average enough intelligence that he could calculate his dice roles and he could sober up long enough to see straight, he would most likely play Chaos.

stroller
21-10-2008, 20:50
May be the opposite side of the coin here but - I'm Christian - I'm also not comfortable with Eldar (magic) and chaos (more magic) so I don't have those armies. Oddly enough that doesn't carry through to stopping me having nids, necrons, orks, tau, dark eldar... go figure....

AtnaShadow
21-10-2008, 20:56
Just to add to the bit of Eldar players seeming to like art, I went to an arts school for highschool and Eldar are (at least so far) the only army i have.

Lisiecki
21-10-2008, 21:18
Do certain armies in 40k attract certain personalities? Also does your play style\army composition\faction(ie sm-dark angels, orks-goffs) attract certain personalities.

Well

I play dark eldar
and i have started to make gloves out of the skin of babies who look at me...

CULCHAIN
21-10-2008, 21:22
I wouls second the comment about Eldar players being "lanky, ribby dudes, with angular faces" that describes the Eldar players around here. I play CSM (DG, EC, TS, WE, Plain CSM), Chaos daemons, Orks (mob, Speed freeks), IG(AC, and Regular IG) and just started SM. I am a complex person.

Coasty
21-10-2008, 21:38
I play Tzeentchy-renegade Marines (Mr T reminds me a bit of my patron Deity, but gone to the Dark Side, so it's kind of an oblique tribute. If I get struck by lightning I'll know He didn't see the funny side) and Orks, because...well, there's only one reason anyone plays Orks, isn't there?

Dakkagor
21-10-2008, 21:46
May be the opposite side of the coin here but - I'm Christian - I'm also not comfortable with Eldar (magic) and chaos (more magic) so I don't have those armies. Oddly enough that doesn't carry through to stopping me having nids, necrons, orks, tau, dark eldar... go figure....

The day religion dictates army choices is a sad day indeed.

Already from this thread we can deduce that eldar players have superiority complexes (seriously guys, its not that difficult to play eldar. Infact, its pretty easy. You don't get to call yourself a strategic genius until you slog through 3rd and 4th edtion with the old ork dex.)

On that note I started out with orks, and if my bedroom is any indication, will be painting the little monsters well into my senelity. I picked them up because as a child my favourite hobby was smashing in the faces of other children, taking their stuff, then killing them and mounting their heads on poles.

Coasty
21-10-2008, 21:50
I picked [orks] because as a child my favourite hobby was smashing in the faces of other children, taking their stuff, then killing them and mounting their heads on poles.

Okay...two reasons.

luchog
22-10-2008, 01:28

Lessee... art-fag, intellectual, arrogant, elitist... and I play Eldar almost exclusively...

Nope, not seeing a connection there. :cool:

luchog
22-10-2008, 01:38
I wouls second the comment about Eldar players being "lanky, ribby dudes, with angular faces" that describes the Eldar players around here.
Up until recently that described me pretty well too. Unfortunately, age and genetics have taken their toll, and added about 30 pounds. Regardless of the game I play, I almost invariably go for the smaller, faster, more agile characters; typically magic-users of some sort.

My wife is a fan of Skaven, especially the Plague Monks; and Death Guard/Plague Marines. If I was to say that that said anything about her, other than the fact that she's a doctor's brat with an interest in forensic science, I'd get the crap kicked out of me. :D

starlight
22-10-2008, 01:49
Absolutely.:D

Orks are played by great players who love the game regardless of the outcome... :angel:

:p

I play Greenskins because I love the *gaming*, I play Imperial armies (IG/SoB/Marines) because I identify with the human aspects and think the *humans against the galaxy* ideal is fun (although my armies are more Imperium at the time of the Emperor than *now*), I play Tau because I like Shooty, Tyranids because the overwhelming horror is cool, Harlequins (DEWC) because they are so different to all the other armies I play, and Chaos because I acquired the models without meaning to...:p

MrBigMr
22-10-2008, 02:03
I don't think so, Tim... I mean starlight.

I know an O&C player who's rather competitive and while he tried to act like he's a "oh, lets have fun and play some warhammer", his true colors shine through pretty fast. Once I thought about doing a simple little O&C army which he pretty much trashed head on and told me what to buy to get a good competitive army. Not to forget that he always exploits the opponent's weaknesses (once used a Deathworld IG in a combat patrol in which he, after knowing what I had taken, did a list with vypers and warwalkers with a single cheap dire avenger unit) and says his oppinion on anything you do, especially if it's a bad decision. And once you've lost, he'll be all "learn to play and we can have more fun."

Oh yeah? Well screw you, *******.

It's funny that I never get as frustrated playing other people (win or lose) as I do him. But he's a frustrating person in normal life as well. Very frustrating. I'm a rather "let all the flowers blood" kind a guy, but after working with this guy for almost a year, 6 days a week (5 in the job, saturdays at the gaming club), I got a burnout and lost all interest in everything for the last month or two up to the point our boss had to have a talk with me.

FashaTheDog
22-10-2008, 02:33
...and Chaos because I acquired the models without meaning to...:p

Best way to start an army, especially if said models were part of a larger purchase, an accidental one, or best of all free.

CrownAxe
22-10-2008, 05:36
Hard to say, i picked both of my armies because i liked the models and had no clue how the army worked until i bought a bunch a their stuff

Starchild
22-10-2008, 05:57
I am noticing alot of Eldar players = Like Arts. Thats kinda what got me into it, not an 'eavy metal painter or nothing but i do enjoy makin a pretty picture now and then. I also am a little arrogant and anal retentive about things being done properly (follow the path?)

An interesting thing that i find about the Eldar codex is that it really kinda makes you take on the role of a Farseer. You really almost do need to see into the future, be three steps ahead of your opponent, cuz odds are they outnumber you have S4 and 3+ armour....

lol :p

It also makes you an Autarch because you have to figure out how to use your units in unison to the best effect!

I agree, Eldar seem to attract more artistic types. SM|s universally seem to be liked by Halo fans. :rolleyes: Orks for those who can't take their hobby seriously, Tau for players who like technology, Witch Hunters for Catholics, etc. etc.

ShadowDeth
22-10-2008, 06:02
I think armies generally fall into finesse and brute force categories.

I think that's as far as you can psycho-analyze army selections based on individual personality.

My deal is, I like armies that are different and unique, or underplayed. I guess that follows my personality of rooting for the under-dog, and being a little jaded about most things with a touch of elitism. I think in my case it's true, but I wouldn't suggest that everyone who plays [X] army is a [Y] personality type.

Starchild
22-10-2008, 06:15
I think armies generally fall into finesse and brute force categories.

Agreed, and it also helps to think of this in terms of the Robert Moore (PhD) archetypes.

So you've got some players who are into regimented structure and predictability (the King), players who prefer heroic carnage and slaughter (the Warrior), players who like the game and the models for the experience itself (the Lover), and players who think and reason tactically with a bit of gambling (the Magician).

Brute force is going to be seen primarily in King and Warrior personalties, while finesse is more in the arena of the Lover and the Magician.

So, *generally*:

KING: Necrons, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Tau
WARRIOR: Chaos Space Marines, Orks, Tyranids
LOVER: Eldar, Dark Eldar (debatable)
MAGICIAN: Chaos Daemons

Going a step further, where the <fluff> reflects the real world, the Eldar made Slaanesh, which is a shadow form of the Lover archetype.

Firaxin
22-10-2008, 06:43
Hmm... I guess Moore would class me as a Warrior, Lover, AND Magician.........

starlight
22-10-2008, 06:52
Agreed, and it also helps to think of this in terms of the Robert Moore (PhD) archetypes.

So you've got some players who are into regimented structure and predictability (the King), players who prefer heroic carnage and slaughter (the Warrior), players who like the game and the models for the experience itself (the Lover), and players who think and reason tactically with a bit of gambling (the Magician).

Brute force is going to be seen primarily in King and Warrior personalties, while finesse is more in the arena of the Lover and the Magician.

So, *generally*:

Going a step further, where the <fluff> reflects the real world, the Eldar made Slaanesh, which is a shadow form of the Lover archetype.

I'm also going to put IG, SoB, GK, The Ordos, and Eldar in the Magician slot as well...:p

Although pretty much *every* army gets a heavy dose of Magic when I'm leading it...:angel:

samiens
22-10-2008, 12:15
Seriously, yes, of course certain aesthetics/archetypes appeal to certain kinds of people- the problem with using this on forums is that many of the people here have several armies thus diluting the archetype.

Of course Eldar appeal to the more aesthete while Chaos has a more Goth kinda vibe. Fun lovers tend to go for Orks while those with an actual interest in warfare are more likely to plump for imperial guard. Those who have a bit of an action hero kinda complex, so particularly younger players, are naturally drawn to marines.

Its a bit sad that this has been mocked so much- its actually an intelligent and well thought out point. sadly those tend not to survive on forums- probably because they aren't whiney enough. Now where's mny Dark Angel FAQ.

El_Phen
22-10-2008, 12:47
Absolutely.:D

Orks are played by great players who love the game regardless of the outcome... :angel:

I agree, I often say that you've got to have a sense of humour to play Orks. I also enjoy playing my Orks as I require them to have very little in the way of thought to use (or, at least, my one tactic is CHARGE!) and, as mentioned are fun. I've always been a fan of World Eaters due to unfeasably cool models and background (Back when they used to be able to use guns properly and whose downfall was their martial pride).

To give my uber-nerd self a chuckle, my marines are painted white and black are a legion of the Emperors best troops...So, in summary, I'm an angry nerd.

elf_hater_7
22-10-2008, 13:37
i do imperial guard, what does that make me?

MrBigMr
22-10-2008, 13:58
i do imperial guard, what does that make me?
Depends. Do you charge them for it, or are you just into that sort of thing?

Frostea
22-10-2008, 14:31
I play grey knights with my own rewritten DH codex. Does that make me the worst type of player :D? (power-gamer(?)+goody boy)

Lordsaradain
22-10-2008, 14:39
You choose the army(armies) you like, and you like different things because you have different personalities. That's the only connection there is between army choice and personality as far as I can see.

elf_hater_7
22-10-2008, 15:23

thats just wrong. i play as imperial guard, are you happy now?

MrBigMr
22-10-2008, 16:17
thats just wrong.
Yes, yes it is.

i play as imperial guard, are you happy now?
No, not really. I still prefer the original concept. Imagine it, standing at the garrison gate in a dress, makeup and a cheap wig, going "hello, sailor."

But ok, to be serious I think Guard players might be:
-A historical nuts. You got your Soviet Valhallans, your Imperial Russia Vossies, WW1 Steel Legion and Krieg, Vietnam Catachans, Zulu War Praetorians, etc.
-A tank generals. Big lumbering metal boxes with rivets and oil and smoke. No other army can sport as much vehicles as the IG.
-Just love the underdog. In a universe of monsters and apocalyptic warfare, guardsmen are just oil in the gears of war.

Starchild
22-10-2008, 16:19

Absolutely. No one is 100% one or the other. Everyone is a mix of all four archetypes, but sometimes one is dominant, according to Moore.

Seriously, yes, of course certain aesthetics/archetypes appeal to certain kinds of people- the problem with using this on forums is that many of the people here have several armies thus diluting the archetype.

See above. ;)
Also, people unconsciously strive for balance. So a predominantly Lover personality might go for a Warrior-type army, etc. Then there's players who just buy all of them, because they like 40k so much. :o

The King opposes the Magician (for example, Nurgle opposes Tzeentch) while the Warrior opposes the Lover (for example, Khorne opposes Slaanesh). Even the Chaos Powers are archetypal!

Burning Star IV
22-10-2008, 16:33

Oh? It dictates many other aspects of billions of lives, sooo..... Granted, I don't understand it either, but I'd be hesitant to call another person's inconsequential personal choice a qualification for a "sad day".

BUT OT:

I personally don't see much correlation between army choices. Yes I've noticed that some of my less tactful friends with abrasive/ direct sorts of personalities tend to favor orks, but beyond that? Nah. People seem to want a correlation, though, as it allows for ascribing certain desirable/ honorable/ badass characteristics of the army to the individual. For instance, Eldar players probably don't mind saying "Well, I'm a very artistic, aesthetically pleasing, precise, thoughtful, focused sort of fella" but might be hesitant to say "I'm very effeminate, and I have a penchant for gaudy fashion". Yes yes yes the obligatory disclaimer- just an example, eldar players! Nothing personal! Basically what I'm getting at though is that I've seen various types of people play various types of armies, and the only really consistent connection I see is 40k players are, myself included, nerds.

Ubermensch Commander
22-10-2008, 18:35
So anyone who plays Tyranids wants to be a hive mind of billions of dinosaur/insect things in space that devour everything before them?

I play Dark Eldar, but I really have no desire to go out and torture other people for kicks. I just think they are fun to play and like their story. It is FICTION. I do not pull that Freudian junk of "It's me on the battlefield!"

There are various reasons for playing a certaing kind of army, from playstyle, to fluff, to cool models, to (for veterans) having DONE every army out there and looking for something new (see:ennui and boredom).

Equating personality traits to army choice selections works, but only in a very limited fashion.

judgey
22-10-2008, 19:20
I've got an imperial guard tank company and I'm working on a raven guard army. I have no idea what category I could fall under. I just enjoy the hobby immensely. Also an interesting side-note is that I've never won with my tank company, so I really have no idea if this is a reflection upon my personality?

That said a brief acquaintance of mine is a know-it-all and a detractor of everyone else and plays CSM and refuses to update from the third edition codex. Coincidence? I think not.

elf_hater_7
22-10-2008, 21:12
But ok, to be serious I think Guard players might be:
-A historical nuts. You got your Soviet Valhallans, your Imperial Russia Vossies, WW1 Steel Legion and Krieg, Vietnam Catachans, Zulu War Praetorians, etc.
-A tank generals. Big lumbering metal boxes with rivets and oil and smoke. No other army can sport as much vehicles as the IG.
-Just love the underdog. In a universe of monsters and apocalyptic warfare, guardsmen are just oil in the gears of war.

thats probably about right, seeing as i think the best war ever was WW1, i like tanks, and i want an excuse for losing

MrBigMr
22-10-2008, 21:39
Well, I happen to like the sequel, World War Episode II: Jerry Strikes Again. Nazis just make things just so much more interesting. Zombies < Nazi Zombies. Space < Space Nazis. Gold < Nazi Gold. The list continues.

By the way, does army fluff matter? I mean, my Chaos, even though done with SM rules, is by fluff humans with some Chaos mutation to up their stats along with power armour and bolters. I'm also modelling stuff more in Guard style with tripod heavy weapons and Leman Russes instead of Predators.

Kaihlik
22-10-2008, 21:54
I play Night Lords and Dark Elves for fantasy...i'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Coasty
22-10-2008, 22:07

Heheh. I'm literally all three of those. ;)

olmsted
22-10-2008, 22:27
it could be true for all if not most space wolves players. we generally hairy slightly large guys with a love for alcohal, metal, food, and a good game of 40k no matter the ending.

purple40k
23-10-2008, 09:38
I am a very logic driven conservative here in the states. My points of view are based off of as much data as I can get a hold of. For 40k I have worked on chaos tau tyranids imperial guard eldar dark angles in that order.... Haven't found that perfect list yet!

Oh yes, I am one of those players that rolls well bellow statistical averages consistently even while playing privateer press games. I build armies with my dice rolling in mind. Redundancy is king.

I am also one of those players that is willing to let it all hang out if there's a chance at victory, with my luck.... I damn well be playing for fun!

LordFulgrim
23-10-2008, 12:26
Well let's see for 40K it's mainly EC and Dark Eldar and for Fantasy it's Dark Elves and Vampire Counts.
I'm a freelance artist and my personality type is INTJ...go figure.

Tokamak
23-10-2008, 12:49
An pure orc army for fantasy and World Eaters for 40k.

I study environmental and social sciences...

Wraithbored
23-10-2008, 13:51
I own 15000 points of Eldar(FW stuff buffed it up, and yes I really hate GW and I'm such a traitor :p ) and I have degrees in translation/interpretation and hotel management. And now I've enrolled in the police academy. So yeah I'm a real typical player. I hate 90% of modern art, because quite frankly that much is bad and in 50 years noone will remember it or care about it. I love to read books and strolls on the beach. And for the japanese girls out there my blood type is 0. :p

I don't think armies attract certain personalities at all. There are 4 Eldar players here and only 1 is really competitive(but nobody really plays against em). And we have 10 marine players all with widely different personalities. there are other army players too and they're completely different from the stereotypes some posters have listed.

Griffin
23-10-2008, 14:52
I play pure Iyanden and Black Legion primarily - what does that make me ?

Madfool2
23-10-2008, 14:59
I play pure Iyanden and Black Legion primarily - what does that make me ?

Well I imagine going by pure Iyanden, it makes you bloody rich :p

Griffin
23-10-2008, 15:04
I'd say broke.....

dal9ll
23-10-2008, 23:23
So if Im a CSM/Daemon player, does that mean Im a sick bastard???

God I hope so...

Sorry I mean, Slaanesh I hope so...

BrainFireBob
24-10-2008, 00:00
Now, now, there is some truth to this.

We all know what Ork players are like. Just read the "Who Likes Orks!" thread. Laid back and gregarious, for the most part.

Amnar
24-10-2008, 00:31

So, *generally*:

Makes perfect sense, I see myself as the Warrior type personality and I play CSM.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 00:32
Yes, but i think i like the IDEA of Necrons rather than how they perform, but i like the way they perform so win win.

Waywatcher

kishvier
24-10-2008, 00:39
I love play CSMs but I don't think I'm the "I'm a traitor because you suck and I want to mount your head on my back" kinda guy, I'm a much more zealous and loyal person. I think personality and army are similar in some respects, but not all.

ShadowDeth
24-10-2008, 02:57

So, *generally*:

Interesting take :D I like the tarot parallels.

(I had to google mister Moore because I was unfamiliar, but I then find out he's working with concepts Jung was - and now I'm infinitely more interested...)

I think, according to these guidelines you summed up the races of 40k accurately, however, I would argue (I guess I'm the person to debate this) that Dark Eldar fall more under Magician than Lover. I think they actually 100% embody the aspects of strategy and risk/gain ratios. It's very much a thinking man's army and they are never really out for wholesale carnage, or structured predictability, rather - surgical strikes.

You did leave out Sisters though, and I think they fall under the Lover. I've never met a power gaming SoB player and I think there is a reason why.

To ask a question of my own personalty, what would you predict from someone who plays Dark Eldar, Lost And The Damned and 13th Company?

Firaxin
24-10-2008, 03:25
You did leave out Sisters though, and I think they fall under the Lover. I've never met a power gaming SoB player and I think there is a reason why.

Oh god, the worst power gamer I know plays SoB...

Beatomadic
24-10-2008, 05:21
I would have to say that I like the idea of friendship and camaraderie in life and I happened to pick IG as my first army... I see a connection there. I am sorta an art person too but that is going into my tables and terrain. But I also thought about playing Eldar... yeah I think their are stereotypes, my friend plays SM and Nid's and he always likes to win.

Serpent
24-10-2008, 09:49
I mostly play Sisters nowadays. I used to love my Jamaican IG before, but now the devout little girls with their almost as devout Guardswomen have captured my heart... I don't know if that reflects my personality, but I enjoy something which can weather most challenges.

Razarael
24-10-2008, 14:26
Someone metioned army choice and the zodiac together, and I thought that was an interesting way to look at things. I am a pretty hardcore libra. I prefer that which is aesthetically pleasing, and external beauty tends to be a prerequisite for me to show interest (seems shallow? Probably is. I can live with that). I work the best one on one, and I am pretty capable at drawing people out through conversation (and by conversation, I mean listening and asking the right questions). I like to create balance in all my relationships, but typically for selfish reasons (I'm actually working on that one). I am also very impulsive. Show me something new and shiny, and if I have the money, I'll buy it. Sometimes, I will fill my wallet with cash for the sake of having money, knowing that when I return at the end of the evening, it will all be gone. So that's just a bit about my personallity (There's plenty more, but I won't bore you).

So, here's how it applies to 40k. I play Eldar primarily. The first army I got and I did so because I found it aesthetically pleasing. And eventually, I found that army creation fit right in too, as creating that perfect balance Eldar need to succeed really appealed to me. Then there's the Eldar fluff. They are creatures of impulse and obsession. They 'impulse' their way through phases of life, essentially chosing that which they want to indulge in for the time being before they hop skip away to something wholly knew. I've had 5 jobs in the last year.

I also play Orks. They too are pretty impulsive. "I fink I'll be takin' dose gubbin's and addin' dem to des gubbins." But they also aren't aesthetically pleasing in the traditional sense of beauty (Symetry is pretty). But this combination of Orks and Eldar form that balance. And this balance really came more by coincidence. That is - Eldar have gorgeous minis and Orks are hilarious.

So, it has been a battle of my subconscious really. As now, I want them both to expand, and I flip flop back and forth to which one gets to do it more. It's usually Eldar, but Orks are close behind.

Here are some odd things about me, I think, as it pertains again to Warhammer. Once I get into an army, I become obsessed. I've read the Eldar and Ork codices innumerable times. I pretty much know every statline, armor saves, weapon choice, all options and point costs for every unit in the army. It's kind of the same thing an Eldar does on a path. The same tends to apply for rule books (less so this new one, as my access to a copy is limited).

Anywho. I feel as though I'm blathering away without reason now. I suppose to end this I can say this - things i mentioned above in that first paragraph are personallity traits as they are long term qualifiers of who I am as a person. These things do not change if I am in a different situation and they stay steady throughout a lifetime (with variations of course - typically caused by landmark experiences). Things like mood (happy, sad, depressed, irritable) and preferences can change whimsically.

Goose
24-10-2008, 15:31
It varies from person to person on how your army my reflect you, or balance yourself out. I wouldn't try to make some absolute conclusions like Eldar players are arrogant. I think everyone themselves needs to just examine themselves, and then look for similarities in their armies. For some you may find a lot of interesting stuff, like myself. Or you may not. It just depends how you choose your army.

Hellgore
24-10-2008, 15:38
I think it is hardly possible to judge personalities by the armies one plays.

I started out with necrons cause I like the Terminator-movies and my already playing friends had no cron-player.

Then I started to collect Grey Knights cause I am impressed by the models. But as they were so expensive decided to build up an Ultramarine Army while slowly adding GK-Units. Ultramarines I took cause everybody I know was making fun of them and I thought they didn't deserve it. Space Marines I took cause I wanted more tactical flexibility than necrons provided.

And then I started a mixed IG army (only one tank of each kind...) cause I saw others losing with them constantly and I tried to do it better.

So what does that make me? Just another weirdo playing a game that brings too many people over the edge of reality. Just look around the whiney-complainy-threads of all kinds. Can't wait to see them whine when the new IG-dex comes out...

Azriel45
24-10-2008, 16:30
well... I'm an arrogant jerk who thinks he is better than most people at most things. (that's actually not true) and i play Eldar. Hmm....

Lame Duck
24-10-2008, 17:20
@Razarael:

Actually my point was that it's about as useful/accurate as zodiac signs, as in not at all.

'Here are some odd things about me, I think, as it pertains again to Warhammer. Once I get into an army, I become obsessed. I've read the Eldar and Ork codices innumerable times. I pretty much know every statline, armor saves, weapon choice, all options and point costs for every unit in the army. It's kind of the same thing an Eldar does on a path. '

You're really clutching at straws here, Im fairly sure practically everyone here could say the same thing (in relation to knowing their own codices).

I collect space marines, which is weird because I'm really good at everything and I'm super loyal.
I collect guard too, reflecting the fact like planning stuff, am into WW2 and like supporting the underdog, that's uncanny!
I collect eldar too, theyre 'arty' right? That's so awesome cause i like doodle in my note book all the time, and im super stylish too.

Can you see what I'm getting at?

Pisces_808
24-10-2008, 17:54
Ok so I play Tau and am about to start Eldar (when the Tau finally get finished).

The reason I started them is pretty steriotype... I like anime/manga. I saw the suits and was sold. The sleek look and the working ruling system. Also they are in my eyes superiour to humans... let's face it if we can earn money or get something we do... humans are by nature egocentric.
The reason for Eldar where the Wraiths, so I gues that's the same. Walking 'machines' with big guns.

I refuse to play anything in power armour (meaning 3+ save everywhere). Call me a rebel but if you take those armies you are just a sheep that follows the crowd. The only diffrence between SM and CSM+Necrons is that the later are mostly gothics (black, heavy metal, etc) and the previous are the normal guys. So for me no power armour ever, after Eldar probably Guard but don't know why.

Greetz

ShadowDeth
24-10-2008, 21:04
Oh god, the worst power gamer I know plays SoB...

That's extremely interesting, because I know a SoB player who often times has trouble winning - and I used to borrow his army and codex and try to break it in half for him. To give some advice to.

I'm not saying I'm the best player in the world, but I'm more cut throat than he is... and I stress tested it a lot, but it never fully broke. The list always seemed to balance itself...

Maybe I just didn't write what I meant to say, that the list can't really be cheesed out terribly. I realize some people with that gaming mentality may also play the army :D

isidril93
24-10-2008, 21:29
i play BT, Nagarythe/saphery high elves(my general is from nagarythe anyway) and khorne(with a dash of slaanesh).

reckless is my middle name

I guess i chose the some of the most reckless armies (fluffwise) out there.

Triggerdog
24-10-2008, 21:41
I'm not sure that this applies to everyone but I have found some parallels between players of similar armies:

Ork Players are generally scatter brained and occasionally have alcohol problems or a fondness for weed.
Dark Eldar players often have some bizarre sexual fetishes that they keep to themselves and dont really talk about.
Chaos Players seem to have a habit of being socially inept neck-beards, moreso than other army players
Tau players usually love their first person shooters and/or anime
Eldar players seem to have problems with members of the opposite sex
Guard Players usually have previous real life military experience or have alcohol issues
Marine players sometimes have previous military experience or but are usually more casual than other players.
Necron players are usually bad sportsman and caustic individuals to be around.
Inquisition Players are sometimes themselves very pious

Granted this doesnt apply to everyone but from what I've seen these are the generally the usuals

ShadowDeth
25-10-2008, 01:10
Necron players are usually bad sportsman and caustic individuals to be around.

Quoted for truth and hilarity.

So what you're really saying is, alcohol is a common thread amongst warhammer players? :D

kishvier
25-10-2008, 01:19
Very nice trigger, I've cut and pasted a bit of that into my sig!

Triggerdog
25-10-2008, 01:31
Quoted for truth and hilarity.

So what you're really saying is, alcohol is a common thread amongst warhammer players? :D

40k players at least. Fantasy players are 90% working stiffs with a pention for the Lord of the Rings books and Eragon.

Oh also:

Dark Angel players are usually somewhat goth in nature and musical tastes.
Black Templar players like action movies and seem to have an affinity for historical things
Space Wolf players sometimes have prior police convictions for things like Assault and being drunk and disorderly. They also seem to generally like comic books.
Blood Angel players seem to be boistrous and I've also noticed that 9 times out of 10 they drive red cars.

Tyranid players seem to be poor conversationalists and dont always eat very healthy but they're usually consistently inconcsistent and sometimes can be very friendly.

Razarael
25-10-2008, 12:20
@Lame Duck -

To be frank, as I read the thread, I saw zodiac mentioned, and it reminded me of something. I was not in any fashion attempting to build upon your idea or even trying to refute it on purpose or otherwise.

What you said about the zodiac is a matter of opinion, as it certainly can't be fact as nothing requiring faith is. And opinions can differ. Mine certainly does. Now, I'm not some gung-ho believer in astrology. I've checked my horoscope seriously maybe once in my 23 years on this planet. But what I have taken a mild interest in is how I have met people under various signs that have fit the bill almost perfectly. To be specific, my family. If you look into the pesonallity of a Libra, it would be like looking at something I wrote about myself, because it's all pretty much dead on. Now, I'm not saying this is the case for everyone, as I would bet all that I have that it is not, but for me, it is, and it is fun to see comparisons like that no matter how coincidental it is.

It's the same thing for making an analogue between your own personallity and the Warhammer armies that you play. It's kind of fun and interesting to look at, because no matter which army you play, comparisons can be made. Some will fit more than others. Perhaps those are the ones you play. Awesome! It sort of works for me.

There are some things I will comment directly on about what you said:

1) Grasping at straws. Believing anything without fact would be considered grasping at straws. From what I posted earlier to believing in any religion whatsoever. Grasping at straws could be used to describe both given a particular viewpoint (not neccesarily mine - it's just an example). And as I stated earlier, it's pretty obvious our opinions are different. That's perfectly acceptable. At the end of the day, we both go home and still don't know each other.

2) I'm not so sure everyone can recite every point cost/statline in a particular codex. Now, I don't know everyone in the Warhammer world that plays. In fact, I only play with my friends and not the randoms down at the local gaming store, and I have marvelled them with my uncanny ability to list point costs and statlines. This wouldn't be so exciting for my friends if they could do it too. We're also all college graduates, so we aren't stupid, either. If this is more common than I thought, then to be honest, I'm kind of disturbed. But, I don't know. I haven't been there. I haven't investigated, and I don't particularly intend to.

3) You're really good at everything you do. That isn't a personality trait. It tells me about your personallity, but that which it does say has nothing to do with being 'good at stuff.' You're super loyal. Loyal might be one, but there's nothing to explain it. I mean... Loyal like a dog or loyal like a cat? Loyal to a cause or to a company? Loyal to yourself or to your mom and your dad? But there's no explanation, so it doesn't say a word about your personality, or how it compares to Space Marines. I'm not sure how Guard and liking to plan stuff are related, or really how liking to plan stuff is a personallity trait at all. A better word might be meticulous and goal oriented, but it's hard to tell. Being into World War 2 isn't a personality trait either. It's an interest. Much like being into Warhammer is an interest. As are being 'arty, liking to doodle, and being stylish.'

So yes, I do see what you're getting at. You gave a bunch of examples of quick stereotypes and how they might apply to each of those three armies, and all of the examples were obsurd, extremely exaggerated, and not even related to personality - the basis of this thread. I think your point in doing that was to demonstrate my own obsurdity in making the comparisons that I made. I will do my best now to clarify what I was doing with my original post.

I think the zodiac is interesting. Not something to base all your worldly decisions on, but it is interesting. Being able to do the same thing with your favorite hobby is also fun. So, that is also what I did. I also happened to put them together to expand on a point. Like I said in the opening, I was not discussing the point that you were making earlier, as I didn't even think about it as I was writing that up. What I did do was actually explain some things about myself that are personality traits and then making comparisons between those, the zodiac, and my Warhammer armies.

Personallity and the like is more than just a mild interest to me. It's one of the many reasons I got my degree in Psychology. So, again, if you feel so inclined, please direct yourself to the last paragraph of my first post. It should hopefully explain what can be considered a part of a personality and what cannot.

One thing I also find interesting is people's reactions to things. That is often when somebody's personality shines through. There's often a big difference when someone responds with reason and logic or with anger and defense. Let's just remember though - at the end of the day, we all go home and still don't know each other, and chances are, if we actually knew each other in real life and not just the internet, we would probably be friends. And for that, we can thank Warhammer.

luchog
25-10-2008, 18:34
The only diffrence between SM and CSM+Necrons is that the later are mostly gothics (black, heavy metal, etc) and the previous are the normal guys.

Dark Angel players are usually somewhat goth in nature and musical tastes.
Interestingly, the majority of Goths I know who play W40K, myself included, play Eldar or 'Nids.

Although the comment about alcohol being inordinately popular among the majority of players seems to be right on. :)

Lame Duck
25-10-2008, 23:30
@ Razarael:
This is why I hate the internet. I can't be bothered to write out a long and meaningful post so try to get my point across as quickly and crudely as possible, and then get trumped by what is a very well thought out, polite and well executed post.

1) Fair enough

2) In regard to remembering the stats/points of respective codices, me (IG,SM) and my one other 40k Playing friend (Orks) can too. So maybe I shouldn't have made such a sweeping statement, but in regards to that I think it has very little relation to what race you play.

3) I was being sarcastic, but I gather you picked up on that , chose to be mature and picked apart my poorly presented argument.

Would it surprise you if I told you I'm a libra too? (No, really)

"One thing I also find interesting is people's reactions to things. That is often when somebody's personality shines through. There's often a big difference when someone responds with reason and logic or with anger and defense."

Ouch. I didn't realise I came across sounding that angry, and for that I apologise.

In terms of zodiac signs (I'm not trying to pick a fight now, I'm genuinely interested since you mentioned you did a psycology degree) you said "I have met people under various signs that have fit the bill almost perfectly", but wouldn't you also say you've met at least the same amount of people who are the complete opposite of their zodiac?

I'm not NOT your friend, I'm just a fairly logical person and tend to get a bit riled up over some issues I deem illogical.

Sir_Turalyon
26-10-2008, 01:53
Yeah, all my armies have mindsets I could roleplay without distaste, and which I value. Being Guard / Ork / DE / Dark Angels player, it makes me a complex character :) . Also, I could not play army with mindset I could not identify with (Tau, Necrons and Tyranids are primary offenders), no matter their tabletop performance.

In particular things that attracted me to these armies are:

Guard - readiness to take on things that seem to be out of my league - state I often have find myself in.

Orks - carefree optimism, sense of humour and disregard for what other people may think of them - thing I'm striving to archive.

Dark Eldar - wicked subtlety. Useful only for verbal fencing in real life, but so cool in fiction / on tabletop.

Dark Angels - dedication taken beyond reasonable means; thing I value even as I know I shouldn't. And no, I am not heavily onto goth nonsense or metal music, I just like to think of myself as dedicated person.

Razarael
26-10-2008, 10:19
@Lame Duck -

"Ouch, I didn't realise I came across sounding that angry and for that I apologise."

You didn't come across sounding angry, so no need to apologise, sir! It was more of a preventative measure about your following post. Often times, things turn nasty on forums, and I just didn't want that to happen. It's hard to tell with some people, and I don't know you.

About remembering stats/point values - I guess it's something people don't give too much thought to, so given both of our experiences, it's perfectly reasonable that we both came up with the conclusions that we did. So, I certainly see where you're coming from. And I see from what you said that is by no means unique.

About picking apart a poorly presented argument - Regarding this, I wouldn't consider it poorly presented, as it did have a point. And it was a point that shined through. Often on forums, there are posts that really are pointless, and I don't think yours was.

"Would it surprise you if I told you I'm a libra too?"

Nope.

About the Zodiac/personallity/Warhammer connection. You're absolutely right. I would definitely say that I have met people that are not like what their signs would say. What I was thinking about at the time was my family. My mother, father, sister, brother and myself are all very much like what our zodiac signs would say we are. Sometimes it can be hard to see out of our own little bubble. It's not a good thing, but I'm definitely guilty of it at times.

In psychology and statistics, one thing you learn is that correlation is not causation. Just because two things are highly correlated does not mean that one is caused by the other. Here's a classic example -

Did you know that in the south, the number of Baptist Churches there are is directly and positively correlated to the number of Liquor stores? The more churches there are, the more liquor stores there are. This is a near perfect correlation, but does it mean that Baptists are alcoholics because there is such a high correlation. Of course not- what it really speaks to is population, a completely different factor. In small towns, with only one or two churches, there are only one or two liquor stores. In big cities, where there may be hundreds of churches, there may be hundreds of liquor stores. So, you can't assume that just because there is a correlation that one is caused by the other.

The same goes for the Zodiac. I'm going to exaggerate this for the sake of the example - Everybody that is a libra has predominant libra like traits. Everybody that is a sagitarius has predominant sagitarius like traits. And so on for all the others. This would demonstrate a very high correlation. But even from a very high correlation like this, we could not say, "Because you are a libra, you will be like this. Because you are a sagitarius, you will be like that," for the exact same reason you can't say Baptists are alcoholics.

The same thing applies to Warhammer Armies and the personallity of the player. Sure there may be some stereotypes as to what kind of player plays what, but we can't say that one is caused by the other. Basically everything in this thread would support a correlation, and nothing else. Even what I said in my first reply, and I won't argue against that. What I will say regarding that, is that while there is no significant meaning behind any of it, it can still be fun to look at. People are self centered (as in they care more about what they think than what others think - it's human nature, really), and if they can find amusement in something that doesn't have any real many, then, I think "What's the problem?"

For me, there are a number of comparisons between my personality and the armies I chose. I think it's a bit interesting, but not something I'm going to dwell on or base decisions on. So, at the end of the day, it's all in good fun.

Lame Duck
26-10-2008, 11:11
"Everybody that is a libra has predominant libra like traits. Everybody that is a sagitarius has predominant sagitarius like traits."

This is the one thing in your post I outright disagree with. If you presented the zodiacs to someone who had never heard of them before, except you switched the profiles for each sign around I'm convinced the same number of people would be amazed how close their sign (even though it isn't their sign) is to their personality.

"So, at the end of the day, it's all in good fun."

Yea, I'll stop ruining it then shall I? ;)

Razarael
26-10-2008, 11:19
"Everybody that is a libra has predominant libra like traits. Everybody that is a sagitarius has predominant sagitarius like traits."

This is the one thing in your post I outright disagree with. If you presented the zodiacs to someone who had never heard of them before, except you switched the profiles for each sign around I'm convinced the same number of people would be amazed how close their sign (even though it isn't their sign) is to their personality.

I totally disagree with it too! All the way! Haha. It was a huge exaggeration to help make the point a bit clearer about correlations.

"So, at the end of the day, it's all in good fun."

Yea, I'll stop ruining it then shall I?

It's all gravy.

susu.exp
26-10-2008, 12:32
Well, armies do reflect aspects of human personality and everybody has a bit of everything. Basic human emotions like rage, passion, hope and despair are represented by the Chaos Pantheon. Eldar connect with our appreciation of beauty. Tau with our desire for unity. Necrons with our notion of historicity - the past always catches up with you. Orks with our inner children, their Clans are basically high school stereotypes (probably why the humor in them appeals to older gamers - when you start not to feel embarassed about your baby pictures you can also laugh at how you were like as a teenager... And pick the appropriate Clan or mix of Clans).

As human beings we are far more facetted than any individual army and I donīt think army choice represents personality. But it can express aspects of our personality - Collecting, building and painting an army is an artistic endeavour and it can be as expressive as a book or a painting.

That being said, the background of the armies is not the only factor making somebody go for it. Eldar donīt only appeal to artsy types, because they represent an appreciation for beauty, they are also a painters army in the sense that the models ask for very technically versed painting. You can use wet blending on Orks, but it will take away from their image rather than add to it. Orks have a similar appeal to people who order plasticard in bulk.

In the end a better question that "What does army choice say about a player" would be "What does a player want to express with army choice". And "How is that idea reflected in the army?" An army is a text in the sense that it carries meaning(s). It could and maybe should be the subject of critique based on reading that text.

the1stpip
26-10-2008, 16:44
I don't think so, there are a umber of armies I have collected (SM, CSM, DE, IG, Orks) some I am in the process of collecting (SoB, more CSM, more Orks, Eldar), some I have considered and would like to (Nids) and some I have absolutely no interest in (Tau, GK).

However, I do think there is something of a trend. We are well aware of the fad that is new army syndrome. In some people it is the new models (maybe a bit of a hoarder) for some it is the need to spend money, and for some it is cos they have brand new shiny rules that rules evrything before it.

But as first stated, I don't think your army particularly correlates with your personality.

Mytola
26-10-2008, 17:16
As human beings we are far more facetted than any individual army and I donīt think army choice represents personality. But it can express aspects of our personality - Collecting, building and painting an army is an artistic endeavour and it can be as expressive as a book or a painting.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

march10k
26-10-2008, 17:32
so if i collect multiple armies....

Then perhaps you are to be characterized according to which one was your first? Or which one you play the most?

I think there's something to this. When I say to you "tau player," what springs to mind? A 12 year old kid who may not own the tau codex, and certainly hasn't read it or the BBB, not that he has any intention whatsoever of letting those pesky "rules" get in the way of his victory.

Okay, but I own a tau army, too. I even play it once or twice a year. So I think the stereotype only applies in one way: "what shiny box of plastic/metal toys attracted you to 40k?" Actually, it's even more complicated than that. There could be influences from other previously played games, especially WFB, given the similarities in flavor between many 40k and WFB armies.

My first army, and still the one I play the most (although my IG are threatening to take over) is DA. I started with 5th company...but lately it's deathwing. I wonder what that says about me?

/edit/

And who determined that BBB was "big BLUE book"? I use it as "big BLACK book", as opposed to the BRB "big red book" of WFB...since when does LoTR get acronyms anyway???

Firaxin
26-10-2008, 19:14
Guard - readiness to take on things that seem to be out of my league
Oh boy. That I can agree with.

SabrX
26-10-2008, 23:04
I believe many of us did thorough research in our armies before dedicating time and money to build them. As economists, we are wise in how we use our limited recourses. I myself spent an entire month reading forums and watching games before I chose Tau as my first army.

In a way, an army choice could represent player's personality.

But that's not to say I'm a power game for playing Tau ;).

Frostden
26-10-2008, 23:15
I started with space marines because I didn't know any better.
Then I sold up and moved onto Eldar because I thought fast and frail would be be fun.
And then I bought a second nurgle army because I wanted to see how the uber slow and sturdy played.
I don't think my personality played a part in any of it...

Paul Nexus
27-10-2008, 00:03
I think the concept is being taken a little too literally. No, being a Nurgle player does not mean you are a maggot infested lump of flesh with a big gun. But I think that certain sub conscious character traits are what sparks an individuals interest in anything.

Myself? I play both Eldar and Dark Eldar. By nature I am very well spoken, strive to perfection and I have been told I am rather arrogant. I also have a lot of darker impulses, as we all do. I find that both of these armies reflect the two halves of my character that are at conflict. One of creation, one of destruction. Now that doesn't mean I'm going to build a house by singing then wallpaper it with the neighbour's skin, but I do generally notice the link between the person and WHY they picked that army, especially those who have been into the hobby for many years and played all sorts of armies.

They key issue is that, aside from new comers to the hobby who may not know all the fluff, we all pick our armies for a reason. Something in our minds inspires us to choose. Maybe it represents how we think. Or what we would like to be. Or the opposite, it gives the good guy a chance to be 'evil'. The small guy to be a horde killing monster.

Of course this concept is not gospel. Not everyone will be affected by it, but I imagine those of you that, like myself, are deeply into every aspect of the hobby may fall into this catagory. But nothing is absolute...

kishvier
27-10-2008, 00:16
I find that a lot of people have no connection with their armies. They mainly like their looks and tactics opposed to fluff. An easy example is DE players. No, I don't think most of them wallpaper their homes with skin (thought you never know) and eldar players are often perfectionists because of how they are generally painted in smooth colors and that they play in a very 'perfect' flow.

Lord Cook
28-10-2008, 03:41
since when does LoTR get acronyms anyway???

Since you called it "LotR" and not "Lord of the Rings"? ;)

Ah the irony.

Coasty
28-10-2008, 09:31
They key issue is that, aside from new comers to the hobby who may not know all the fluff, we all pick our armies for a reason. Something in our minds inspires us to choose. Maybe it represents how we think. Or what we would like to be. Or the opposite, it gives the good guy a chance to be 'evil'. The small guy to be a horde killing monster.

I started with SM because they're cool (oh, come on; they are) and am even working on an old-style Smurf army.
First and foremost, though, I play Orks. I think I like Orks because of the 'hit it with a spanner until it works' kind of mentality and their love of fighting. Both of these are traits I share with them and I need a safe outlet for the latter.
I love flyboyz, because they are the characters I can identify with more than any others in the whole 40K-verse. So...yep.

alphastealer
28-10-2008, 10:13
I chose nids and did so since I liked the savage no reasoning killing style of aliens and zerg. I didn't want anything bipedal or human looking so I went with the extreme flesh and tooth army. I also prefer carnifexes to tanks.

Nid - players have a silent savage nature and while being polite, actually crave a win.

Tau - players are moody depending on the terrain layout. Lots of cover and they whine like a nagging wife, no terrain and they are everyones best buddy, and talk about how much they love the game.

Chaos - players have a thing for power and like the idea of having all options..none of which are weak or crappy. The ends justify the means..which in turn justifies a double lash, 9 oblit list.

Marines - people with little imagination and a follow the crowd, sheep mentality. Thst and marines are also the easiest army to play.

Dark angels - people that think that if termies can be taken as troops then they will magically start winning more games.

Blood angels - marine players who actually want to be tyranid players but can't quite get past losing a few better guns.

Space wolves - guys who don't know what they really want, they like tanks, they like cc and they like tough troops. These guys like to be different and also have no imagination for painting.

Necrons - those who find marines have too much choice and want an even simpler yet potent army. Also people who have no desire to paint detail.

Eldar - those who like detail, precision, and value skill and beauty. Tend to be a bit off socially.

Dark Eldar - guys who probably shot at birds with pellet guns at some point. They are the sly ones, they spend a tlot of time with an army that once mastered, can take on anything...and the best part is that ...it is their secret.

IG - guys who like tanks (ordinance) and don't mind putting up with crappy troops in order to field those tanks.

Sisters - for the closet cases out there who like their women a little more fiesty.

Daemonhunters - people who like imperial fluff so much that they will buy models that sound good in stories even if they die like ants in reality. These are the dreamers.

Chaos Daemons - guys who think deep strike is all that. They care nothing for guns as long as they can attack first with a fist full of dice.

Shangrila
28-10-2008, 10:25
I would think so since every ork player ive ever met is very.. i dunno orky.
Most tau players ive met are bad sports and marines are everywhere. Eldar is usually the "artsy" one or somones wife. necrons hate everyone else uhm choas are the special ones.... but thats just in my limited experience.

elvinltl
28-10-2008, 15:38
Lol.. Eldar are not artsy.

And true enough, sometimes people just do not understand why i do certain things. You know those really random and wierd stuff like putting an empty mug on my table which i never use. And then i go on to explain how useful a mug can be when one is thirsty or need to store stuff. True enough, 1 month later my buddy had been using it to put packet drinks and dumping keys inside. :/

Or things like. I think of 10 possible outcomes before i proceed with an action. =.=" I criticise those actions and evaluate their effectiveness and effect on the situation. Blah blah blah... those really merticulous and detailed stuff nobody gives a damm. @.@

And people telling me i am just strange and uncomprehensive. QQ

march10k
28-10-2008, 16:18
...people telling me i am... uncomprehensive.

A brilliant mind is useless without the ability to communicate said brilliance effectively ;)

Coasty
28-10-2008, 16:20
Uncomprehensive? You've got bits missing?

Sister_Sin
28-10-2008, 16:21
Hmmm. I'm a redhead with more than a redhead's temper, aggressive....World Eaters is my second largest army, although could become my first at this rate. LOL

Sister Sin

kishvier
28-10-2008, 20:14
uhm choas are the special ones.... but thats just in my limited experience.

I'm not sure how to take that...CSMs being my main army. Define 'special'.;)

weirdo2590
07-04-2009, 16:37
So by playing a joke painted marine army (brothers of the beat if you're interested) what does that mean?

That I have a sense of humour but still wish to win or simply that I'm an ass irratiating people who take marines seriously? :p

Akuma
07-04-2009, 16:43
That you try to be cool while beeing a nerd ? ( Joke :D )

Captain Micha
07-04-2009, 16:59
I play Necrons

I also play Imperial Guard

and I play a mobile Tau Army.

What does that say about me?

Beyond I like Undead Robots That Shoot Green Lightning, and that I am infact a vehicle lover?

Akuma
07-04-2009, 17:02
That you have a lot of mony and a lot of free time :D ?

Guys seriously ...

To assess anyones personality it takes time and effort - saying that playing one army means something is just plain stupid.

Of course if you have a friend steve that is arrogant duch - he likes to go to art museum just for the sake of saing he was there , and only eats or drinks fancy stuff - AND by accident he plays eldar - well you can say that he choose this army because it appeled to him ...

But for example I play IG - why - because I bought them EXTRA cheep of E-bay :D

Captain Micha
07-04-2009, 17:08
I wish I had money! I'm pretty much broke right now. (and I need more Fire warriors.. and artillery as well as a pair of APCs for my guard! Another monolith couldn't hurt either... or more Wraith..... sheesh.....)

It probably does say though, that I'm unmarried (which would be true) and have no children (again true). As for my personality, I really don't think it says anything about it.

Necrons were my first army (my tau being a close second by a week or so). I liked them because they are so totally the opposite of what I usually play in games. (Yeah, I'm -that guy- the one that apparently is a living breathing paladin.... according to -every- "What D&D class are you?" test.. even have the stats for it on -every- "what are your stats" test... sheesh.) I usually play the Good Guys. I'm good at it. It comes fairly natural to me. But my Crons, are so directly opposite of that, that they appealed to me.

My Tau aren't Hippies (I'm sorry guys their fluff is too dark for them to be Hippie Manga Bastard Children). My guard are actually the most in line to the character types that I usually play in various games.

You can blame Dawn Of War Winter Assault with my Guard....

Maybe it's telling that I have ADD cause I can't just focus on one army. :D (though that is true.. I am almost the living paragon of Attention Deficit Disorder)

tuebor
07-04-2009, 17:22
Guard Players usually have previous real life military experience or have alcohol issues

A bit redundant, isn't it? :p I kid, I kid.

Hint: I'm military, and if soldiers, especially younger ones, like any one thing its drinking.

Inquisition Players are sometimes themselves very pious

I played Sisters for a while because I'm quite fascinated with the über-religious vibe of the Imperium and Sisters are the distilled form of that. However, I am not, nor have I ever been, religious at all.

The closest thing I've come across to a stereotype is former or current military playing Guard. Of course, having played in numerous military towns and only a few non-military towns I'd say my sample is a bit biased.

sydbridges
07-04-2009, 17:24
If the Necrons reflect my personality, it's only because I've started considering putting my brain in a robot body to sustain it indefinitely so that when the new codex comes out in 41002 I'll be able to enjoy it. That and the bitterness I've felt watching armies (well, Space Marines) get multiple codicies while I wait for one for my army has occasionally prompted a rational contemplation of omnicide.

I imagine Dark Eldar players eat babies to sustain themselves so they'll live long enough to see their codex get released.

LordofWar1986
07-04-2009, 17:25
To say that an army explains your personality seems rather generalizing the type of person who stands behind the painted models. If it where somewhat true, then these facts would prove very little about my personality.

1) I play WFB and 40k (which would mean I am into both science fantasy and fantasy types of games)
2) I have Tyranids, IG, and Dark Elves (meaning that I am leaning more toward the evil races since they have the most fun :) ).
3) I have played a CSM World Eater's warband 4 times! yes 4 times! (which might mean that I have a true weak spot for the way they play, or lost the spark to collect the army after buying the models)

So given a little bit of history, you can draw a couple conclusions about me. Facts you couldn't draw about me from my hobby....
1) I'm am unemployed college student.
2) Don't have a gf/wife or kids.
3) I am an extremely motivated exercise type of guy bent on loosing weight and getting fit.

So there is quiet a bit of gray in the truth about army choice = personality in my opinion.

blurrymadness
07-04-2009, 17:34
Well there are different kinds of Orky. Some people enjoy the randomness and "hilarity", I myself enjoy the more grim fluff of violent "animals" with guns and next to no thought on self-preservation.

1) I'm am unemployed college student.
2) Don't have a gf/wife or kids.

I'm sure given the nature of the hobby, and the demographics of the site, one could reasonably predict these outside of what you mentioned ;)

LordofWar1986
07-04-2009, 18:00
I'm sure given the nature of the hobby, and the demographics of the site, one could reasonably predict these outside of what you mentioned ;)

:rolleyes: Uh huh I'm sure you could at first glance. :p

Edit: Oh btw, I'm sure that
2) Don't have a gf/wife or kids. could be thrown back at you ;)

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
07-04-2009, 18:06
I collect Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks. So I must be a brave, but very arrogant idiot

Kamenwati
07-04-2009, 18:07
I started with Necron mainly because I loved the army concept of being a beast when it came to the defensive side and winning fights of attrition. I will admit to a little bit of the appeal being the ease of painting them but mostly I loved the concept. It wasn't till I was well into my collection and playing with them I started running into the Necron hate and found it more then a little off putting. I generally am a very nice and laid back player. I think that's where some of the Necron players being irritable comes from, constantly hearing from other players how evil and cheesy our army is and how we chose it just to win.

I branched into Eldar later when the new book came out cause I wanted to try going in a different direction while still picking up an army I liked. I have a rather sizeable fleet of Eldar vehicles, including a superheavy and a large number of foot troops.

I started a small group of Tau for the love of the suits but never finished actually standing up a functional army.

Most recently I have decided to try Orks since I have mostly reached saturation point with my Eldar collection. Plus, I thought it might be fun to try a horde esque army for a change. Though I'll probably end up going Mek heavy with them for some fun and theme.

As far as Fantasy goes, Tomb Kings all the way!

LordofWar1986
07-04-2009, 18:11
I collect Space Marines, Eldar, and Orks. So I must be a brave, but very arrogant idiot

Nah that means you are very tough, light on your feet, and cannot resist yelling "WAAGGHHH" in those awkward silence gaming moments ;)

the1stpip
07-04-2009, 18:17
I have chosen armies for a number of reasons, models, style, painting, fluff and cheap deals.

So no, I don't believe your army is influenced by your personality

AmBlam
07-04-2009, 18:19
I think you could draw such generalisations but different people are drawn to the same armies for different reasons so you would end up with more brackets than simply one per army. Even then not everyone would fit into those brackets.

Chaos have a greater artistic appeal than anyone else imo. At least, they used to. ;)

;)

weirdo2590
07-04-2009, 20:56
I imagine Dark Eldar players eat babies to sustain themselves so they'll live long enough to see their codex get released.

You been watching me at breakfast time? o.0

Also to be honest I think the only army you can reasonable judge personality for is orks, as every -real- ork player has a little bit of ork in them. And I dont mean those people who recently jumped on the tournament winning bandwagon

MrMojoZ
07-04-2009, 21:14
I'd say army lists can be even more reflective of a person's personality than army race. Lists are far more personalized.

PhantomRonin
07-04-2009, 21:33
You been watching me at breakfast time? o.0

Also to be honest I think the only army you can reasonable judge personality for is orks, as every -real- ork player has a little bit of ork in them. And I dont mean those people who recently jumped on the tournament winning bandwagon

::sings:: You're a little bit orkish. Well you're a little bit too. I guess we're all a little bit orkish....admitting it is not an easy thing to do. It's sad but true.

Everyone's a little bit Orkish.....

RichBlake
07-04-2009, 22:27

I play Guard because:

I hated the fact I could coast through on the physical power and level fo training my troops had when I played Blood Angels. I like the idea that iuf a Guardsmen kills anything of your opponent's they should be shamed.

My prefered tactic, in any game, is to utterly crush my opponent in ahead on assault (I'm the guy in RTSs that hides in his base during the Free for All then at the end obliterates everyone with super weapons and units I had been building up).

I found opponent's actually find it difficult to deal with an army that is prepared to keep throwing infantry at a problem until it goes away.

Severoth
07-04-2009, 22:52
I've thought about this question alot as well. In the hope that it will help me reach a race that I'd love to play.

No hope yet of understanding how my head works unfortunately.

PreacherGerry
07-04-2009, 23:48
I think that religion can positively affect army choice:) I am a great fan of Saint Joan of Arc, and while not Catholic, revere her greatly. So Sisters of Battle are very appealing to me; a whole army of Joan of Arcs(well, not really, but you see some similarities). Sisters of Battle are more what I admire in people than what I am personally. In a roundabout way that still relates to my personality. I wish I were more religious, courageous, even fanatic if for the right causes.

I agree you can't really tell much about people from their army choice, but it's great fun to look at the 'coincidences'. Like, I knew three lizardmen players who all love Tomb Kings, but not Necrons, interesting coincidence...

Thanks for a fun topic and great discussion.

PreacherGerry

sydbridges
08-04-2009, 01:07
I agree you can't really tell much about people from their army choice, but it's great fun to look at the 'coincidences'. Like, I knew three lizardmen players who all love Tomb Kings, but not Necrons, interesting coincidence...

Hrm. I like Lizardmen, don't care for Tomb Kings, and like my Necrons. I guess I don't fit that mold.

tacoo
08-04-2009, 02:00
i agree with MrMojoZ on that its the army list, but in a non-competative enviroment (as in not in tournements). if someone brings Biker-Nobz to normall games regulary, that says somthing about them. i also think what tells how there personality is why they picked there army. I picked necrons with out even looking at a single thing tabletop related about them. i just read alot of fluff on armys and picked them. they were actually my second choice. my fist choice were Space Wolves, but i couldnt find there codex till after i spent over 300 dollars in necrons. i also partially play daemons since i love there fluff and plan on picking up the wolves eventually.

if you based my personality off the armys i play, you would say i love anchient powerful stuff

if you saw most of my armylist, you would tell i really dont care about winning (i use pharias :o)

Skyrir
08-04-2009, 02:21
I have Nurgle themed Fantasy Warriors of Chaos and a massive Nurgle chaos army. Those are what I mainly play. My IG is also traitor, and mostly Nurgle.

TheDarkDuke
08-04-2009, 02:46
Personally not at all. I have:

SM Black Templar
CSM Death Guard
Necron
Ork Goffs
Tau looking to get rid of.
Will be starting up my first major almost entirely converted army (IG).

So really there is no rhyme or reason to what armies I have or play. Heck figure out fantasy for me its even more off the deep end. High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms and Skaven. I have made lists and have had ideas that I am sure one day I will do with Eldar, SM Vanilla, Nids and Vampire Counts so again... people IMO are far more drawn to the models, the idea of what they will create out of those models and fluff, not because Joe likes to paint so he plays Eldar (wait so anyone who paints an army play Eldar...?) not because Tommy likes take crazy wipe outs on his bike and draws bloody palms, elbow and knees so he plays Khorne. etc etc etc.

A1TEC
08-04-2009, 04:30
I find that all armies are cool. (I just can't afford to do all of them) so I go with what I like at the time but it is hard to stick to. It has taken me 4 years and my Ultramarines are still not finished because I get side tract with starting other armies.

mughi3
08-04-2009, 12:37
True there. if your faith in your belief system is threatened by a fictional game, book, movie etc.. then you have some serous issues with your faith to begin with.

One of our eldar players is a practicing catholic and sees no conflict because he isn't actually out trying to practice some kind of real magic. it's a game and nothing more.

Along those lines he and all the other eldar players i know seem to be thin, lanky, almost effeminate guys.

Wierd....:wtf:

I do think army prefernce does say something about your and your play style.

I am shooty and elite. i play deathwing and small elite formation DIY marines as well as SOB i have had a tau army in the past (more shooty) and a (green) dark angels army when they had stubborn(3.5 i am looking at you).

Necromancer2
08-04-2009, 13:25
I have DH and Death Guard... guess it's the constant battle between good and evil!?!?

Frontier
08-04-2009, 13:36
My choice for the Iron Fists came down to the paint scheme. In all of my travels, I have yet to see anyone playing them at any other store I have gone to. It makes me feel unique, and, well....there you go.

Korras
08-04-2009, 14:13
I have three different armies, Guards, Wolves and Nids, all with very different play style. I am not sure how that would relate to me myself. :p

Akuma
08-04-2009, 14:27
That you are easly swayed and lack true identyty :D ( Joke )

Max_Killfactor
08-04-2009, 15:29
Dark Eldar and Dark Elves are my favorites. It's because I'm wussy but full of hate. I also play Skaven because I'm pretty sneaky (DE and DE are pretty sneaky too).

I kinda want to play a 'good' army, but none ever have any lasting appeal to me..

jsullivanlaw
08-04-2009, 21:56
I'm a criminal defense lawyer. I play chaos marines and dark eldar....

Mannimarco
08-04-2009, 21:59
i play narmenian imperial guard (armoured company) death guard CSMs, Cadian imperial guard and deffwing orks

pretty varied there, wonder what that says about me

Awilla the Hun
08-04-2009, 22:04
The OP is probably right. I played the Imperial Guard at first because I liked Sharpe novels, but not I look at it...

I consider myself to not be posesessed of outward extravagance, but of dogged high averageness and politeness. My homework tasks aren't always perfect, but they're always handed in. My armies aren't well painted, but they are painted and glued together. My RTS gaming isn't based around lightning rushes, but on grinding the enemy to a pulp against walls of stone and flesh. My musical tastes are creakingly old fashioned, but are rather beautiful in their own way. This does sound pretentious, but possibly also true.

EDIT: It also must be pointed out that my preferred weaponry (massed artillery barrages, bayonet attacks/walls, swords) is nothing if not Freudian.

Imperius
08-04-2009, 23:31
Well I collect Imperial Guard, and I have 200 or so Guardsmen. Does this mean I'm a sadistic tyrant who would send men to their sure deaths if I ever joined the military?

Calibrate
09-04-2009, 01:16

Awsome.....

On topic: I'm lazy, but love efficiency (even if I can't spell it correctly). So, I play nids.

Now many may be saying: "how is that lazy and efficient?"

Well, I can't be bothered rolling all those shooting dice, so I take as many CC units and pie plates as I can get, and I don't bother with "objectives". I just systematically take down everything in my path, which ulitmately ends up being the most efficient way to rid an enemy of his scoring units.

Efficiency comes in when you get your units it HTH. Nothing beats nids on the assualt - especially nids comming in from short table edges.

Calibrate
09-04-2009, 01:23
Sisters - for the closet cases out there who like their women a little more fiesty.

Daemonhunters - people who like imperial fluff so much that they will buy models that sound good in stories even if they die like ants in reality. These are the dreamers.

Ha ha ha.... Well put good sir :)

Shangrila
09-04-2009, 01:29
Well I collect Imperial Guard, and I have 200 or so Guardsmen. Does this mean I'm a sadistic tyrant who would send men to their sure deaths if I ever joined the military?

Maybe? But actually that's sorta bad all round since just about every guard book i've read doesn't involve mindless slaughter of guardsmen.

i think that usually there is a unifying characteristic on what army someone picks. Which i think is true to an extent. Since I've met alot of chaos guys who paint their banners in blood as well as the funny fat kid who plays orks. I model planes and tanks and i play IG. My brother loves aliens and starship troopers arachnids and he plays nids.

Everyones' got a reason for the army they play, it may or may not be the one someone has.

e2055261
09-04-2009, 02:28
Well, I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago and started a sm army. The main reason I chose them was the selection of models. I have since started to collect ig as i believe they are much more fun...

Torga_DW
09-04-2009, 04:39
I have a tzeentch (marines and daemons) armies, but if truth be told i'm closer to nurgle. I do however have a blood angels army, and am constantly fighting back the urge to punch people in the face. I have a tau army but i'm not a socialist. I have an imperial guard army, i'm not sure just what that indicates. Make of this what you will.

Logarithm Udgaur
09-04-2009, 06:51
I have a Blood Pact army because I am a sociopath.

samiens
09-04-2009, 12:13
In all seriousness, of course what we are attracted to is a statement of our personality but as that's not a fixed thing it will also inform our personality for the future. i satrted playing Dark Angels as a kid 15 years ago but I doubt I would now (especially as it was the Deathwing supplement that did it!) but they now occupy a small section of my tastes- mkeaning that I havegrown to like monkish robes etc when taht might not be my generally preferred aesthetic!

htj
09-04-2009, 12:52
I don't think this really follows. If I played according to my personality I'd certainly not play on the side of the Imperium. Alpha Legion seems more likely. And yet I don't, I play Sisters because I'm a closeted homosexual, according to alphastealer. Sigh, I guess I'd better go inform my girlfriend.

Nymie_the_Pooh
09-04-2009, 13:35
My current armies are Orks and Space Marines. I played Eldar mostly in third. I had some 'Nids and other stuff, but mostly we just house ruled them into our Warhammer Quest games. Why the switch when getting back into the game? It's simple really. I'm a cheapskate Scrooge and two of the Assault on Black Reach sets gives me two decent sized starting forces. I have enough minis for a friend or my roommate's grandson and myself to play impromptu games at my place.

Griffin
09-04-2009, 14:02
I absolutely fuggin mad in Real life, and I've got a Ego big enough to beat a major villain to death with :) (Hail Lastie!)

Probably why I picked Chaos Space Marines - Black Legion, Let the galaxy burn.

massey
09-04-2009, 14:20
I have four different armies. Does that mean I've got multiple personalities?

"Yes, it appears he's insane."
"How did this happen doctor?"
"He bought these little plastic men."

tuebor
09-04-2009, 14:27
"Yes, it appears he's insane."
"How did this happen doctor?"
"He bought these little plastic men."

One look at the price tag and most people would say we're crazy.

Lordmonkey
09-04-2009, 14:31
Ork player. I play for the big fights, where I can get as many of my boyz into combat with as much of the enemy as possible, all in once place. Since Orks often win in situations like this, it's all good :)