PDA

View Full Version : Which Codex are current for 5th ed?

Vic
21-10-2008, 13:36
After having done the obligatory search in the forum, I'm left with making this post: Of the codex listed on the GW page, which are current as of 5th edition? I know your supposed to be able to use older books with this edition, but aside from the SM dex, which was written with 5th ed in mind? Im a but confused as I looked on their site, but couldnt find any info one way or the other. Could be Im nearing 40 and am starting to forget things though.....

Hicks
21-10-2008, 13:42
DA, Chaos marines, Orks, chaos daemons and space marines. The problem is that what GW has in mind for 5th keeps changing with every codex, so balance here is really relative.

IJW
21-10-2008, 13:42
All the ones they still sell are 'current', as far as that goes. Orks and Chaos Daemons are pretty obviously designed for 5th as there are bits in them which didn't make sense in 4th ed.

Elios Harg
21-10-2008, 16:02
The only ones that are certainly 5th edition to my knowledge are Daemons and Space Marines.

Bunnahabhain
21-10-2008, 16:36
IG, WH, DH and DE are all 3rd Ed, cant rememberer if Space wolves are as well, Daemons and Marines are 5th ed, and the rest are 4th ed.

They're all still sold, so are still current, but some make rather more sense than others.

Spacker
21-10-2008, 17:00
Eldar was the first of the new format codexes, and includes some models with rules (high BS on Phoenix Lords) that only have an extra effect in 5th edition. However, it has often been referred to as not being "5th ready", so Dark Angels is probably the first of those.

Space Wolves are certainly still 3rd ed, I think that's the second oldest codex after Dark Eldar (it might even be older than Dark Eldar though, as DE got an updated codex during 3rd ed). You also missed Necrons which is still 3rd ed too.

Any non-5th edition codex that has an FAQ for 5th edition is still an "official" codex for 5th edition. Anything else isn't (so no sneaking Codex: Assassins out ... :p), but that doesn't mean that they aren't useable - if your opponent is happy to let you use older rules, then go ahead an do so. :)

loveless
21-10-2008, 17:08
I'd say Orks, Daemons, and Space Marines are certainly 5th Ed books, just looking at some of the weirdness in them that didn't make a lot of sense under 4th Ed (obviously, SM is immune to that last bit, since they came out post BRB).

Chaos Marines, Eldar, and Dark Angels are 5th edition friendly, but don't necessarily fit the mold. Chaos Marines probably hit it closest, but they still feel 4th-y.

Feor
21-10-2008, 19:52
Space Marines is the only 5th ed codex at this point.

Orks and Daemons are 4th ed, but were designed with 5th ed in mind, so they're almost 5th ed. and the rest are either 4th ed or 3rd ed.

Archangel_Ruined
21-10-2008, 23:19
Eldar onwards, that's when they moved to the no-wargear streamlined approach. I think that shows a definite change in thinking and a nod towards 5th. They probably didn't know all the details at that point though, hence no eternal warrior mentions and so forth, but they knew most of what was coming, it was fine detail they were working on methinks.

Vaktathi
21-10-2008, 23:21
After having done the obligatory search in the forum, I'm left with making this post: Of the codex listed on the GW page, which are current as of 5th edition? I know your supposed to be able to use older books with this edition, but aside from the SM dex, which was written with 5th ed in mind? Im a but confused as I looked on their site, but couldnt find any info one way or the other. Could be Im nearing 40 and am starting to forget things though.....

The only codex's specifically written only for 5th ed are Daemons (Daemons were released under 4th ed but their plainly a 5th ed ruleset, with options such as Defensive Grenades which didn't really have any definition under 4th ed) and Space Marines.

Those with 5th ed in mind are possibly Eldar, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marines, and Orks.

HsojVvad
21-10-2008, 23:25
DA, Chaos marines, Orks, chaos daemons and space marines. The problem is that what GW has in mind for 5th keeps changing with every codex, so balance here is really relative.

This is correct. DA, Eldar, Chaos marines, Orks, Chaos Daemons were released when 4th edtion came out but were made for 5th edtion in mind.

SM is obivously a 5th edtion release.

Sekhmet
21-10-2008, 23:42
They should've done a mini-codex (without fluff, just purely rules) in the rulebook for all the purely 4th and earlier codices (tau, nids, bt, sw, necrons, ig, dh, wh, de,) ala 3rd edition, or possibly released it as a $10 supplement or something. FAQs just don't cut it.

cailus
21-10-2008, 23:55
I'd say only Space Marines are truly 5th.

The Ork codex for example has items that no longer work the way they're meant to in 5th edition and some of the wording is more pertinent to 4th whereas other rules do take into account 5th edition (e.g. Ghaz's S& P but has a cahrge bonus - not possible under 4th).

Vic
22-10-2008, 00:20
Grrrr....so my 3rd ed dex for orks is WAY out of use......

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 00:22
I'd say only Space Marines are truly 5th.

The Ork codex for example has items that no longer work the way they're meant to in 5th edition and some of the wording is more pertinent to 4th whereas other rules do take into account 5th edition (e.g. Ghaz's S& P but has a cahrge bonus - not possible under 4th).

What about Daemons? Their codex was clearly 5th ed, especially with respect things like Grenades.

cailus
22-10-2008, 00:46
Grrrr....so my 3rd ed dex for orks is WAY out of use......

Just a little bit.

Be happy for the new Ork codex is a thing of brutal and savage power combined with a degree of homicidal humour in the form of things such as Wierdboyz and Shokk Attakk Gunz. Not to mention the horde of new models out or coming out in January 09.

What about Daemons? Their codex was clearly 5th ed, especially with respect things like Grenades.

I suppose I really can't comment on this one! I guess you're right as my entire experience with Codex Daemons is reading the rulebook once and following Redrivertears' excellent series of battle reports on this site (Somnium Daemonicum and now the Rescue of Samael Sarox).

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 00:57
I suppose I really can't comment on this one! I guess you're right as my entire experience with Codex Daemons is reading the rulebook once and following Redrivertears' excellent series of battle reports on this site (Somnium Daemonicum and now the Rescue of Samael Sammox).
It seems as though the Daemon codex, once confirmed not to really have any connection to the CSM codex, was simply forgotten by most people with 5th coming out only like 70 days later :p

Hell I bought it and even I forgot most of whats in it until I reread half of it last week.

cailus
22-10-2008, 01:05
It seems as though the Daemon codex, once confirmed not to really have any connection to the CSM codex, was simply forgotten by most people with 5th coming out only like 70 days later :p

Hell I bought it and even I forgot most of whats in it until I reread half of it last week.

I have not seen any Daemon armies in my local club which hasn't helped raise their profile.

But then the Ork amd Eldar codexes also did not result in any new players - people are just too busy loving Marines and Chaos Marines.

I wonder if the Daemon codex has been a success in terms of sales and therefore something deemed worthy of continuing support?

HsojVvad
22-10-2008, 01:21
I forgot to mention C:BA was redone with 5th in mind. It even says redeux for 5th.