PDA

View Full Version : Mixing RTB-01 Beakies with modern Space Marines

th7dude
21-10-2008, 15:36
Hi all,

I am working on my new Crimson Fists army and am trying to work out the best way to integrate my 30 spare beakies (unopened Rogue Trader era plastics, box of 30) into the ranks. As the old school ones of you will know, the old plastic beakies are quite small compared to the new plastic models produced by GW. I need to include both types into my army without them looking silly.

One idea I had was to fit out the beakies with unarmoured head, make them scouts and then use the beak helmets for the veterans. Any suggestions? Do any of you mix the two types without any changes?

regards

Mr. Smuckles
21-10-2008, 15:38
They'd make great Sternguard, as they are quite different and literally "veterans" of the hobby.

OrlyggJafnakol
21-10-2008, 15:40
An intriguing concept. I like the idea of the scout companies though. I think that it will work really well in an army using modern marine models. I personally wouldn't mix the two types due to the scale issues. Though I have used rogue trader bolters as relics/master crafted weapons.

th7dude
21-10-2008, 15:42
You would think sternguard but they really are only 3/4 the size of the new plastics. In fact very much more like the scout is to a marine. Personally I would much rather have 30 elite sternies but won't they look a bit odd having stunties for your vets?

I'm kind of loathe to break them up and canibilise the parts but who knows, may have to.

Elios Harg
21-10-2008, 15:58
You could overcome the scaling issue with creative basing. Use concrete slabs, rocks, etc. to elevate them a bit. It's a bit like making Sylvester Stallone look less short in the movies...

totgeboren
21-10-2008, 16:01
I have abunch of those old marines in a box. I really did try and find a way to incorporate them, but really, They are dwarfed by Guardsmen!

You could maybe use the helmets atleast, though even they look abit on the small side when stuck to a new marine (I have tried).

Sorry I couldn't give you better advice. They are fun to have, but they do look silly next to the new marines.

(Though it must be said, I have almost an entire chaos marine army in my bitz box, cause i don't like the models anymore. And I have new metal heads from Pig Iron for my 2000 pts IG army, since i don't like the GW heads. Way to big.)

EVIL INC
21-10-2008, 16:03
LOL, You could always just e-bay the box. I have seen unopened boxes go for $125 and more (enough to buy a lot more points worth of models).
Another idea would be to find enough of the older models to make a new marine (or in my case, chaos) army of just older models.

Madfool2
21-10-2008, 16:04
Give them huge bases to stand on, that could work.

th7dude
21-10-2008, 16:05
Hmm, tempted to maybe sell them on then and get something more recent. Seems a shame though.

Brother_Marius
21-10-2008, 16:12
Personally, I'd say just assemble them and use them. Maybe base them up a bit to make the stand taller.

Honestly, I use my beakies all the time. They might be smaller than even 2nd Edition lead marines, but they're cool enough that it doesn't matter. The only thing I do is make sure that the RT marines are deployed in their own squads, rather than mixing em into different ones.

th7dude
21-10-2008, 16:17
You don't have any pics by any chance? If I can use them I would really like to :-)

Jellicoe
21-10-2008, 16:26
I use the RTB01's all the time and they are fine with the newer models. Works best if
a) they outnumber the newies
b) they are grouped in their own squads

Currently field just shy of a company of them and have just finished repainting them in their new Angels Sanguine colours

will post picture when I get home

th7dude
21-10-2008, 17:27
Great, thanks. Right now I have 25 new(ish) plastics, 10 terminators and possibly the 30 new beakies to pad them out. I kind of wanted a archaic feel to the Fists, as it should be :-)

The Clairvoyant
21-10-2008, 17:39
i have some and i used them to make a veteran squad. This is back in 2nd ed when veteran squads were tactical squads with better stats. Not sure how well they fit in the latest version. I won't be going back to my marine army for quite a while yet, but when i do, i fully intend to use them.

On a side issue, its a shame that the marks haven't moved with the editions. In RT times, it was all about the beakies, then 2nd ed everything was replaced with Mk7 armour. It would be nice if they were on Mk10 now! I see little point in buying *new* models for my marine army when i have perfectly 'modern' looking ones that were made 15 years ago!

Dangersaurus
21-10-2008, 18:12
Just use them for the female marines in your squads. A few head swaps and some green stuff and the illusion will be complete.

Devon Harmon
21-10-2008, 18:21
As others have said, I use mine as vet squads.

Inquisitor Engel
21-10-2008, 19:06
Why Would You Open Them!?!? :'(

th7dude
21-10-2008, 19:26
They are marines and deserve to come out to play :-)

emperorpenguin
21-10-2008, 19:55
If you have an unopened box of RTB-01 you would have to be bonkers to assemble them now! :eek: They're worth a pretty penny as is, just wait a few more years and they'll fetch even more. Always hang onto stuff like that, that's the antiques enthusiast in me I guess

Dangersaurus
21-10-2008, 20:15
Don't hoard them, there's a circle of hell for that. Play with your toys or give them to a kid who will!

th7dude
21-10-2008, 20:38
I've had them ages, I think it is only fair I benefit from them :-) I would much rather use them than sell them.

Archangel_Ruined
21-10-2008, 22:15
I'd keep them intact as a unit as veterans or use them as vet serg's in units, just to represent the older, venerated suits and the experienced marines in them.

Archangel_Ruined
21-10-2008, 22:17
I suppose, if you're comfortable with your modelling skills, you could beef them out a little with plasticard 'filler' at all the joints, that way they'll be more to scale, hopefully even slightly bigger than the new plastics. That would be a bit more fitting for veterans.

Maidel
21-10-2008, 23:00
I suppose, if you're comfortable with your modelling skills, you could beef them out a little with plasticard 'filler' at all the joints, that way they'll be more to scale, hopefully even slightly bigger than the new plastics. That would be a bit more fitting for veterans.

Aye, A small piece under each foot and a small piece at the waist. That should bring them close enough to make it look sensible.

Archangel_Ruined
21-10-2008, 23:07
Possibly between the torso and arms, too, give them a little more presence.

Maidel
21-10-2008, 23:11
Possibly between the torso and arms, too, give them a little more presence.

ITs not as easy to do it there because the body fits into the arms via a lump which blends into the body. So you would have to file all of that flat first.

Might be easy to use a small lump of green stuff to push it out.

Archangel_Ruined
21-10-2008, 23:16
That sounds a much better idea, a quick flick or two with a blade and it would just look like the flexible joints at the other armour points.

chromedog
21-10-2008, 23:49
I just mix mine with the others.
Most of my bikers are metal, using the RTB beakie riders and original Black shadow bikes (because they actually fit on a cav base).

Anyone who objects to them can go play someone else. I couldn't care less what they think of using older minis. In a tournament, I'll call the ref over. If the ref agrees, I'll take a full loss in order to be free of the git and retire to the pub (we don't DQ for conceding defeat here. It's considered rather like resigning in chess ).

Maidel
22-10-2008, 00:23
How/ Why can a tournament stop you using space marine models in a tournament?

chromedog
22-10-2008, 00:49
It's called tournament rules.
They can disallow ALL SM armies if they want to.

There are some people I've played against who wanted me disqualified because I wasn't using GW models (they were, they were just older than my opponent), or that I was cheating by using the older models (they're smaller, so I can hide them easier.). These gits exist (LOS rules work BOTH ways) and it isn't always possible to avoid them.

Col. Tartleton
22-10-2008, 00:52
I'm yelling it again:

10:21:08 "TRUE SCALE, TRUE SCALE, TRUE SCALE, AND ALLAH DID WEEPETH WITH PRIDE."

kikkoman
22-10-2008, 04:08
Use them as sternguard. There's scale issues, but the cool factor of having real 'veteran' units representing the vets...

as for the size... well they're the cranky old geezers of the chapter. Their backs may not be as good as they're used to, but when they feel war in their knees, they know how to rip youngin's a new one.

I wouldn't convert them for scale, these are Rogue Trader era models, they don't make them anymore. They also have adorable 16bit proportions that invoke nostalgia.

Eddtheman
22-10-2008, 07:12
whatever you do, don't convert them. as they are older than some of your opponents, leave them as they are and use them as veterans and sterguard. If you want to convert, buy some current plastic marines

th7dude
22-10-2008, 08:12
Ok, you've convinced me. I will post up a new thread and a link from here with pics when they have joined their Crimson Fist brothers. Out of interest, what markings etc would you make on their colour scheme other than the two red fists for the sternguard?

biggreengribbly
22-10-2008, 09:09
The RT era helmet-stripe Rank Markings!

Do it!

Dooooo it!

Keravin
22-10-2008, 09:30
I use them all the time. I had 3 boxes when they came out so I've been not just mixing RTB-01 beakies in, but also converting them using modern arms and heads as well. The notion I wouldn't convert them suggests they are valuable, but I've had them since 1987 so I really can do what I like with them. Various versions including one being used in one of my Sternguard conversions can be found in my log.

Archangel_Ruined
22-10-2008, 09:41
I'd agree, I've got ancient (mid 80's) models I've chopped and converted and pressed into current service, I think it's much better to use old models than to hoard them as museum pieces. Lets be honest, the moment you put together and paint a plastic kit you've lost most of it's monetary value, but that's not what I'm into the hobby for so I try to make the best out of my models. If that means a weapon update or some minor scale work then so be it. Not that I'd update the weapons, the fish launcher was the best weapon marines ever had, why they turned their back on the armour busting capabilities of cod is beyond me... I wish forgeworld did a resin range of old skool weapons, they could market them as pre-heresy and make a bloody fortune.

th7dude
23-10-2008, 19:45
Does anybody have any pics of their beakies in action? Even better with them mixed in with other marines.

Corporal Chaos
24-10-2008, 01:17
I have made squads of the RTB01's in my collecti0n. Scale is reall not a big deal for me and when they are deployed there is no difference to bee seen unless you are scrutenizing them. Playability is the same. Like models in like units. I do have several converted into special weapon gunners and disperced with other oddball models in my collection.

ctsteel
24-10-2008, 21:56
One idea that came to mind when reading earlier posts in this thread about the smaller size of the RTB marines, was to put some old style jump packs on them, and explain it as a variant mark of marine armour that was designed to be smaller and lighter for jump pack use. Then you could field them as assault squads. And they could be modeled leaping off the ground, over rocks, off ruins etc to push the height up that little bit more.

Cartographer
24-10-2008, 22:16
The difference between the heights of RTB01 marines and modern day plastics is 2.5 - 3mm at most, it's not as bad as you seem to think. As has been suggested, a little 'creative' basing and maybe a slice of 1mm plasticard under the feet and between the torso and legs will eliminate virtually all of that.
The problem is more the lack of bulk in the limbs, but so long as you keep them separate you'll hardly notice it once they're painted.

I would suggest you use the more modern weapons however, the bolters and bolt pistols are severely outside of the 'heroic' scale now used in 40k.

Keep the Missile Launcher though, the old-school one rocks!!!

th7dude
26-10-2008, 19:15
I've started to assemble the beakies and am finding the scale difference is nowhere near as big as I thought. I am definitely going to use at least 20 for sternguard, the remaining 10 I'm thinking of no helmets and making them scouts (5 of them). That leaves me with 5 more. Might go for the assault idea though I have no idea of the best way to get some jetpacks cheaply.

Vic
26-10-2008, 19:45
I have 62 RTB01. I use some as vets, some just mixed in. Really, who gives a damn?

williamsond
25-07-2013, 23:44
I love the RTB01 marines im building a whole army of the buggers right now, I would kill for a new box of them but alas Ebay seems to be providing at the moment and there's not much old paint job wise you cant fix with a bottle of fairy power spray and some elbow grease.

I'm not sure if i would mix them in an army myself due to the scale thing, but if you do and people complain i really can't see how they would have a leg to stand on as they are official GW models, most of my opponents just think they are really cool.

if you're looking to update them a bit the scout pistol weapons and chainswords are just the right scale and look great i used some on my assault marines.

williamsond
25-07-2013, 23:47
Does anybody have any pics of their beakies in action? Even better with them mixed in with other marines.

check out the link for some pics of my ongoing RTB01 army

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?369483-RTB01-space-marines&p=6718201#post6718201

there are some really good other old school marine threads over in the projects section too like this one:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?337713-Retro-Ultra-Marines

Ssilmath
25-07-2013, 23:49
Holy threadnomancy Batman. 5 years between posts, that's impressive.

williamsond
26-07-2013, 04:18
lol didnt check the date it popped up in my side bar today and i assumed it was recent, must have been a glitch