PDA

View Full Version : Theming Daemons of Chaos

yeancientone
21-10-2008, 15:40
I'm looking for theme ideas for a Daemons army - with the new, looser system (mixing daemons of different deities) I imagine fluffier players are having difficulty developing stories behind their armies. The most obvious theme is 'honey, look what just jumped out of a tear in the fabric of reality', but there have to be other ways.

Of course, you can just choose daemons of one god, but that limits you somewhat. In the past, the ability to mix daemons and sorcerers gave some logic to a mixed god army, but that has changed.

The only idea I've come up with is Epidemus and the Masque having an illicit affair and spawning babies that they develop into a rampaging horde of pestilence and sensation.

Lordsaradain
21-10-2008, 17:14
The simplest and most effective idea when it comes to a chorenet theme in a daemon army is to pick one god, then convert your own version of every type of model with a theme which fits to your god.

If I was to pick nurgle for example I could use converted dire wolves as "counts as" flesh hounds, although I'd call them plague hounds, I could have different types of models for the four core choices representing plaguebeares carrying different diseases, furies could be big buzzing flies, flamers could be "slime-shooters" etc.

==Me==
21-10-2008, 19:52
==My== army isn't really an army at all. The Lord of Change M'xat'rx Lighteater was tasked by Tzeentch to find something, or destroy something, or prevent something from being found/destroyed, or just keep himself occupied. Nobody really knows, least of all M'xat'rx himself, but when Lighteater shows up he gathers whatever minions he can through unholy pacts, trickery, or force and sets them loose amongst the mortal realm.

MrBigMr
21-10-2008, 20:17
I did my Slaaneshi daemons after a webcomic called Zebra Girl. It's about a girl who gets turned into a daemon with hooves, horns, claws, white skin with black stripes and purpe hair and pupils. Does that not sound like a Daemon Prince(ss) of Slaanesh?

Morph
22-10-2008, 08:45
I just play an all-Khorne army. Easy.

LooseMoose
22-10-2008, 10:07
I've took the Carnival theme and ran with it; Plaguebearers with clown faces look suprisingly creepy. Other things are Horrors as magicians, Seekers on carousel horses and my Flamers are Uni-cycling Nurgling clowns forming a pyramid. I must take pics some time...

Just doing something more than the normal and adding grass to the bases can really help to pull an army together; such as putting them all on cobbles. I've seen a Brettonian army done in purely black and white and based on a chessboard that I feel could apply quite nicely to Daemons (And possibly being quite easy to paint).

Cherubael
22-10-2008, 10:34
The current fluff for my own Daemons army is they are in the service of the Daemon prince Hsh'ak'gik , seeking the individual who will bring about his creation - time in the Realm of Chaos is meaningless, so he already exists except doesnt - until then he cannot manifest himself in reality so has to rely on a number of servant heralds. Eventually they will succeed, most likely when the new Daemon prince model is released :D

mistformsquirrel
22-10-2008, 13:12
The simplest and most effective idea when it comes to a chorenet theme in a daemon army is to pick one god, then convert your own version of every type of model with a theme which fits to your god.

If I was to pick nurgle for example I could use converted dire wolves as "counts as" flesh hounds, although I'd call them plague hounds, I could have different types of models for the four core choices representing plaguebeares carrying different diseases, furies could be big buzzing flies, flamers could be "slime-shooters" etc.

This is my favored school of thought as well. You can get VERY crazy with the conversions, maintain playability, and fill in some of the logical 'blanks' we have as far as Daemons are concerned. (After all, when you're a god of Chaos, its fairly likely you have far more daemonic servants than 1 type of lesser daemon, 1 type of cavalry, and a greater Daemon)

To do a Tzeentch version of the above, I'd take Daemonettes, convert them to have masses of tentacles, extra faces, occasionally beaks or half-wings, make their claws seem to be partially magical (imagine claws made of multicolored flame), and call them Warpfiends or something similar.

Fleshhounds could become Spelleaters, etc...

Really the only 'tough to justify' things would be special characters and Greater Daemons - the rest though I suspect could all be converted from one god to another with fluff and conversion.

@Cherubael - I really really dig that idea! I love it when people make use of the Realm of Chaos' less-than-linear state of affairs too - its fun wrapping your head around things that shouldn't make sense <,< mm... Chaos.

larabic
23-10-2008, 17:49
I just play an all-Khorne army. Easy.

Thats what i have... people say Daemons are cheesy / broken, well i counter with i forefit my shooting and magic..do your worst to me before i do my worst to you. I generally win and people feel ambivalent, they want to say it was cheese but isn't. I hate the whole gods mixing thing...seems icky to me.

Briohmar
23-10-2008, 19:45
I'm with the squirrel on this. I have both a Keeper and a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh list that I am experimenting with right now. When you look at the army, it is clearly Slaaneshi, Though the blue skinned chicks with pink Bikinis and loin cloths, and feathers and bones in their hair convey their horror nature. My Bloodletter chicks (formerly Sisters Repentia) convey their Khorney nature through there dark red skin tones and flame colored clothing (yellows and oranges give great contrast to the dried blood skin tone.) My Daemonettes, well, they're Daemonettes, as are my seekers and fiends. Some Dark Eldar Blood beasts painted in flesh and blood colors complete the ensemble except for the characters.
I would welcome armies that have this kind of coherency, as realistically, its the only successful way to build a daemonic army.