PDA

View Full Version : Power-spell familiars....

Archapone
16-11-2005, 22:53
If the sorcerer is inside a unit and he has bought a familiar will the familiar count as a part of the unit for outnumbers and ranks if the case?

McMullet
16-11-2005, 23:18
I'm pretty sure the Familiar doesn't count for anything. You represent the magic item by placing the little model down next to the Wizard in question, but it doesn't actually exist per se. It doesn't take up space in a unit, much as it can't be attacked or attack in combat.

skavenguy13
16-11-2005, 23:33
I count familiars exactly like a talisman, a scroll, whatever item the wizard could have on him. I picture the familiar hiding behind the wizard's leg, so no-one notices him and doesn't change anything except his special ability.

Short answer: magical item, doesn't count as a model.

Archapone
17-11-2005, 01:32
weird that tzeentch champion comes with a model of a familiar and a base.

Thats why I was confused.

T10
17-11-2005, 05:39
In 4th and 5th edition, familars had their own profile and accompanied the wizard, a bit like a dog.

In this edition they like to snuggle, a bit like a cat.

-T10

Major Defense
17-11-2005, 16:04
Speaking of cats, isn't there a Vampire special character who has a pet cat? It has it's own model and where the model is on the table counts but it can't be fought as if it were there.

Griefbringer
17-11-2005, 17:47
As for the familiar, since it is just a magic item it should not have a base of its own to begin with (ie. it should be on the same base as the owner). I have no clue why some people in the studio have depicted it on a base of its own (other than that it looks good).

skavenguy13
17-11-2005, 21:44
As for the familiar, since it is just a magic item it should not have a base of its own to begin with (ie. it should be on the same base as the owner). I have no clue why some people in the studio have depicted it on a base of its own (other than that it looks good).

Neferata was a 5ed character. Problem solved for her (the VC with a cat).
About the others: I guess most of tem are 5ed too. I know my necromancer+familiar are 5ed. I didn't hear of any 6ed model with a familiar on a base.

EDIT: anyway, I could see GW exlaining they are on bases so you don't forget their effects. I'm pretty sure if someday I use a warrior familiar, I'll forget his ability once I get in CC, just like I do with my special gnoblars for ogre characters. Same thing for Neferata's cat.

Griefbringer
18-11-2005, 08:52
I think one of the 6th edition chaos sorcerors comes with a familiar on a separate base.