PDA

View Full Version : Leman Russ Battle Tanks in the 5th edition Codex

keatsmeister
21-10-2008, 20:15
OK, rumours (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3027935) floating around have the new Imperial Guard Codex allowing players to attach a main Russ Battle Tank to an Infantry Platoon.

From a gameplay point of view, it makes a deal of sense, and the argument that the designers want to promote it as the mainstay of the Guard armoured support is a valid one.

My question is this.
Do you think it would be more appropriate remaining as a Heavy Support choice as squadrons (each tank operating independently) with Demolishers and Exterminators being the choice for Infantry Support?

Demolishers are noted in the 3rd edition Codex as infantry support vehicles crewed by members of the same infantry company they are attached to, where main Russ tanks would be attached from a separate Armoured Company. Now, I like this approach, it makes a lot of sense to me, but is it time to retire that kind of thinking, and just run with the idea of the Russ being a ubiquitous vehicle for all uses and users? Over to you

ANG-Tanker
21-10-2008, 20:27
I think it should be the opposite to be honest. Have the lemans be a upgrade like a attack bike is for dark angle bike squadrons. And keep the demolisher as a heavy support choice by iteself.

Warjammer
21-10-2008, 20:47
So the assumption would be that instead of 'Demolishers' as the troop support we should insert 'Leman Russ'. Not the first time fluff has been altered. But why would GW bother? Why not keep it the Demolisher?

keatsmeister
21-10-2008, 21:00
It really depends how the infantry platoons work out in the new Codex. It seems that the units are being designed more to operate with the units of that platoon, rather than each simply being in a platoon for admin purposes as they have been under previous editions.

Now, I do keep my platoons together in games, with rare exceptions, and they do work well when designed to operate as a Forward Platoon, or static support as discussed on the thread I linked to in the OP. Playing this way, I've found it quite useful to operate the Demolisher as the supporting unit rather than the Russ, which I can use for pillbox duty, and then send in as armoured support later on. Not everyone plays that way, and if GW want to go a different direction, c'est la vie.

I just wonder if I'm the only one who found it a bit odd to plump for the Russ as the support vehicle :eyebrows:

totgeboren
21-10-2008, 21:36
They don't need to change any fluff. Even though the Demolisher has been promoted as the infantry support tank of choice, the standard Leman Russ has always been the most common heavy tank in the imperial guard, since its so versatile.

The rules makes its easy to include Leman Russes in your force, you you will have to sacrifice a heavy support slot for a Demolisher, since they are more rare.

Thats how i interpret the new rumors at least.

GabrielEvander
21-10-2008, 23:35
Exterminators please?

borithan
22-10-2008, 00:06
The demolisher makes far more sense as an infantry support tank, with its shorter ranged gun.

devik
22-10-2008, 00:37
Well, the Leman Russ is an MBT, as is the Vanquisher variant. The Demolisher, Exterminator, and Conqueror variants are primarily infantry support tanks. These would make the most sense, tactically and logistically, to be attached to an infantry platoon. Then the MBTs operate semi-independently, keeping near the infantry to defend it against enemy anti-tank infantry while being able to knock out enemy armor at range.