PDA

View Full Version : I have to say, the new Marine book is very nice

cailus
21-10-2008, 23:38
I have to say I really like the new Marine book. Other than some naff fluff, the book is quite cool.

The army lists are pretty good and flexible too. A cool thing is doing things such Combat Squading bikes or Terminators - it really gives you some flexibility with list building (e.g. 2 dreads and 10 Termies split into 2 units of 5).

I also like the return of things such as digital weapons, auxillary grenade launchers (nasty as you can fire them in addition to exisitng weapons), scout cloaks, Sternguard etc.

This codex really takes me back to 2nd edition.

It's a shame some of the other recent Marine codexes aren't up to this level of coolness!

The new Marine codex almost makes me want to get back into Marines. Thank heavens there's new awesome Ork stuff coming to prevent me from doing so.

Coasty
21-10-2008, 23:47
I really liked it, too. Naff fluff is par for the course with beakies, so no biggy.

==Me==
22-10-2008, 00:34
If GW can keep this level of great design going all will be well with the world.

Ha ha, oh man, I could barely keep a straight face typing that :p

devik
22-10-2008, 00:58
I've been digging the new Marine 'dex, too. Lots more versatility, and the weapon options being pretty good makes me a little more receptive to losing the armory.

I admit, I miss having the armory, but in all it's a small tradeoff. GW did a good job giving upgrade options in each squad rather than requiring an armory.

I only wish termy command squads were still an option, though...

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 01:04
While it does bring back some cool stuff, and I do like some of the things it brings (hell yeah thunderfire cannons), its power creep (especially characters with army-wide bonuses) coupled with its bad fanfic fluff (Ultramarinesez! HURR! ULTRA, PURGE-HURR, ULTRA-DURR! Did I mention that Spehse Mahreens wish they could be Ultramarines-HURR! ?) keep me from buying it. I've bought just about every other codex, I just can't justify spending $30 on this one though.

They gradual shift of Space Marines from badass genetically engineered psychotic brain-washed super soldier warrior monks to cheesy gimmick action stars has really reached an unfortunate apex in this book.

cailus
22-10-2008, 01:09
While it does bring back some cool stuff, and I do like some of the things it brings (hell yeah thunderfire cannons), its power creep (especially characters with army-wide bonuses) coupled with its bad fanfic fluff (Ultramarinesez! HURR! ULTRA, PURGE-HURR, ULTRA-DURR! Did I mention that Spehse Mahreens wish they could be Ultramarines-HURR! ?) keep me from buying it. I've bought just about every other codex, I just can't justify spending $30 on this one though.

They gradual shift of Space Marines from badass genetically engineered psychotic brain-washed super soldier warrior monks to cheesy gimmick action stars has really reached an unfortunate apex in this book.

As stated the fluff is naff. To me Marines are still badass genetically engineered psychotic brain-washed super soldier warrior monks. I'm actually ignoring most of it! I think from a gaming perspective it's quite a good codex.

It allows a number of cool things:
1. Different playing styles without the inbuilt cheese of traits (which I hated since day one even though everyone harped on how good they were)
2. A bit more character customisation than the previous DA,Chaos and Ork codexes. I always like building up my characters.

I'm not too chuffed with the continuing pushing of special characters but at least one can now have a stormbolter or combi-weapon for their sergeant or digital weapons/auxillary grenade launchers for their IC's!

In fact the codex really made me want to play 2nd edition, which is probably not GW's intent. Eat Vortex and Die!

Khornies & milk
22-10-2008, 01:22
As a Codex I like it a lot...lots of interesting units but the SC's are a bit overpowered.
I'm not into SM's as a complete army to collect, well other than a pure DW list and I have my own Deathwatch army who are similar to a Sternguard/Vanguard mix...but other than that SM don't interest me.

I quite happily bought the book, but then again I only paid Aus$38 for it.

Hicks
22-10-2008, 01:29
It sure got me really enthusiast about marines again, I even picked up a white scar army because of it. I sincerely hope all future codices are going to be this good, I so want a competitive IG codex you hear me GW! With all the fluff and nice photos, it certainly was worth the extra dollars.

Damocles8
22-10-2008, 01:47
I actually like the fact that there was a fluff section for the Smurfs AND a fluff section dedicated to other chapters.

As for the SC creep, I don't really see it, with the likes of Eldrad, Wazdakka, Gazkull, the ENTIRE Daemons 'dex.

Overall I'm satisfied and looking to see if the quality of this codex in the next Guard codex

iaguz
22-10-2008, 01:47
New Space Marine codex is good, but it does hurt to see as much suckiness in the unit options as there is. Still, it does focus on the Marines being an elite strike force who hit strike fast and hard, and that's probably the best part about it. The massive increases to marine mobility in an edition where mobility is everything is probably the best part about it.

I look forward to fighting Marines nowadays a lot more. Should be fun.

From Shadows
22-10-2008, 01:52
The new Marine codex as a whole is good, but the quality of the book its self is terrible only had it a couple weeks, and gone throught 4-5 times and already numerous pages are falling out!!!!!!!

loveless
22-10-2008, 01:59
Well, the author of the book is, after reading an interview with him, probably the biggest Ultramarine fanboy of all time. It (the article) was difficult to read, since he sounded like a whiny kid whose favorite toy wasn't appreciated by the rest of the playground.

That being said, I rather enjoy the ruleset, the options, and a large amount of the goodies included in the book. I'm a bit down on the extra $5, but well, such is life.

Warforger
22-10-2008, 02:16
Mine still is like new...

Bah I partially hate it, since it is totally OP'd on alot of levels, I mean look at the Storm Shields, there new rules are so retarded, the person who did that needs to get water boarded. Ironclad being to cheap is another problem IMO

Some things even look like last minute, as if they forgot to do it for a while, look at the cost of a venerable dread compared to a Ironclad for example......

Although I like the new veterans and dread options, fluff isen't so bad and I see that there trying to make Ultras look Badass, I mean I enjoyed Thadeus's last stand, that was a good story. Although I am wondering, alot of players are kiddies, and some of the stuff is a bit bloody and disturbing to imagine, like Ultramarines rib cages being spread wide on Night Lord rhinos and the whole process of the White Scars placing of a trophy v
1.Kill the hated enemy
2.Bring it to the High Chaplin
3.You will then join the chaplin and group of people as they sit in the room with the head being cooked so hard that the eyes melt
4.Fill the head with silver
5.Put it on a spike somewhere on the grand palace.
Rules wise the codex was good and horrible at some parts, I like the new options for Captains and Masters and the new Psychic Powers, but the Chaplin just got nerfed, for the same cost of the current chappy you could have a 3 wound, BS5 chappy in the old codex. Then the troops, bah I don't see anything wrong with the Scouts TBH, sure a decrease in WS and BS, but that makes since as there the new recruits... Land Raider Redeemer seems nice and with PoTMS its even better.

Praexes
22-10-2008, 02:17
'Indeed it is said that each member of the Ultramarines Honour Guard has earnt more commendations and glories in a lifetime's service than a whole company of Space Marines from any other Chapter.'

******* that. So apparently the Ultramarines hand out 'commendations and glories' like the Red ************ Army (http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h7/prazail/Vasilevsky.png). Ugh. What a waste of money.

Uh, I actually mean that's the SM 'dex is awesome. Anyone want to buy it off me on eBay? :angel: