PDA

View Full Version : Beasts Of Chaos army

petesamd
22-10-2008, 02:43
hello,

Well I think I would like to start a BoC army even though they are getting redone. So Because there getting redone I'll only get s I'm pretty sure they aren't gonna change such as the beast heard. but I have a few questions Does anyone know if they will be changing the minotaurs? Because I plan on using a doom bull as my HQ choice, The army will include mostly gors and ungors and possibly a shaggoth. Now plan for the theme is the basic forest dwelling beastmen with brown fur and red cloth and trinkets. A problem is that if the beastmen travel swiftly thought the dense forests what should I do with banners? should I just leave them the same or should I mount them on their backs? Thanks for reading!

Yours,
Petesamd

Dexter099
22-10-2008, 02:49
They may change the dragon ogres, ogres, and trolls. I have no idea what might happen to the minotaurs and doombulls though. I heard they are coming out next winter.

wizuriel
22-10-2008, 02:52
based on the warriors of chaos book and the fact GW seems bent on removing the cross units of chaos I would really advise holding back on beast of chaos.

worst case scenario you lose like 60+% of the unit options

Aurellis
22-10-2008, 14:06
Likely changes to the models in my eyes would be:
Plastic Bestigors (with marks on sprues)
Plastic Tuskgor Chariot
Plastic Minotaurs
Plastic Centigors
Metal Doombull
Metal Brayshaman

I think Warhounds, Dragon Ogres and Spawn will stay in the book especially with some of the BoC special chars revolving around spawn and warhounds.

The Beastlords aren't too old so I don't forsee them being changed

JonnyTHM
23-10-2008, 03:15
Based on what was said in the last WD (at least in Canada), I would say they have no intention of removing minotaurs from the book.

Dragon ogres and trolls might be gone (along with Shaggoths), but minotaurs should be staying put.

WhiteKnight
23-10-2008, 06:17
How could they remove dragon ogres from BoC? The BoC started Dragon ogres and they will finish with Dragon Ogres. Trolls i don't care about. But we probably do get new units (heard of a gorgon). Wouldn't a giant mammoth thing look awesome being tamed by ungors? But yeah, the worst thing that'll happen is losing a majority of the book. But I've been getting news from my regional manager that we may be getting harpies.

Aurellis
23-10-2008, 09:47
To be honest, I can't see Dragon Ogres being removed from the Beasts book. They carry too much character of the army, even by just looking at the models. Personally I would hate to see BoC lose out on Dragon Ogres and Shaggoths

Harpies wouldn't be too bad if they were in the book as long as they were differentiated from Dark Elf Harpies and were may be 'Wild Harpies' or something similar.

And there's absolutely no way they'd let go of Minotaurs from the book, they're probably one of the best selling BoC units

Devil Tree
23-10-2008, 10:53
I too, am of the opinion that beasts will be keeping all the units in the current book. Removing them would be too much of a hassle, since they were all together in their own self contained book for so long.

As far as Minotuars and Doombulls go, I donít think thereís a snowballs chance in hell that GW will remove them. Minotuars by their very nature, belong in the BoC book more than any other monster. And as the previous posts said, they are the BoCís best sellers.

Even if the worst happens you should be safe with anything that has a set of horns.

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 11:24
To be honest, I can't see Dragon Ogres being removed from the Beasts book. They carry too much character of the army, even by just looking at the models. Personally I would hate to see BoC lose out on Dragon Ogres and Shaggoths

Dragon Ogres were just as much a part of the WoC and the DoC. They were a rare choice regardless of what general you were using. It was all one big list, where the choice of general had an impact on army composition.

That Dragon Ogres and Trolls etc. were in the BoC book was just a coincidence. It could just as well have been all the demonic units.

Aurellis
23-10-2008, 12:25
Even if the worst happens you should be safe with anything that has a set of horns.

I'll bring my fluffy white unicorns along then :p

Very good point about the Dragon Ogres with regards to the other Chaos books, what I meant was that Dragon Ogres fluffwise are highly intelligent but are still bestial in nature so i would still think them appropriate to the BoC book even though they also feature in the DoC book. As to them not being in the DoC book though, they wouldn't fit in any theme really and in my reckoning only appropriate to the Warriors and Beasts armybooks.

txamil
23-10-2008, 14:49
But fluff-wise they are in Northern mountains, not the forest. Geography would give WoC the nod.

Harwammer
23-10-2008, 15:43
There are plenty of beastmen in the north too.... blighters are everywhere :D

Gustav Kohn
23-10-2008, 15:47
I would love to see more beasts tamed or untamed by the beasts.

Gorgons would be cool as would Medusas or some such.

Harwammer
23-10-2008, 16:08
Clicky for beastmen rumours (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162320).

Army book release guessed to be autumn 2009.

txamil
23-10-2008, 20:24
Those rumours are pretty crappy (although I admit sparce). I hope they aren't true. Harpies, D princes and a gorgon don't add anything to the list. And boring where's the jazz! Every other army got funner to play. Where has the fun ben added in that list??

Tokamak
23-10-2008, 20:38
I think the BoC are already a very distinct and fun army to play. They just needs some polish.

Aurellis
23-10-2008, 20:55
I totally agree, the BoC book is full of character and has its own individual tactics with ambushing, raiders etc. The book needs a bit of a boost with herds only being 4-wide now, a lack of magic items and with non-doombull hero/lord choices being very weak.

Harwammer
23-10-2008, 21:28
Telling BoC players that 4 wide min must 'of course be played as written' in one FAQ, then removing half their army (obviously not played as written!) was pretty harsh. Its also a shame that BoC didn't get their harpies (the writer decided they had good enough access to fliers due to furies/screamers being viable choices when it was released).

Regardless, enough ranting, BoC is a great fun book. Considering the powerboosts recent books have got I'd not be suprised if Raiders got changed to 5 wide min, for bestigors to be allowed to be raiders and marked, and ambushers being allowed to charge from the table edge.

BoC also needs more magic items (including better magic item options for minotaur characters) and better access to flaming/magic attacks.

I'd be interested to see if the 'gorgon' is a 'bull gorgon' or a 'medusa gorgon'. Bull would obviously fit the army's imagery better, but a medusa would add (much needed) ranged support.

Justicar_Freezer
23-10-2008, 22:56
hmm I'm looking forward to what they do with the new BOC, I've always been interested in them but at the moment I'm holding off for the new book.

Interesting tidbit in the newest white dwarf where they are discussing the WOC they make mention of the beasts as well.

"A lot of these creatures can be found in the Beasts of Chaos book but I actually think they're more at home in the warriors of chaos book. The beasts of chaos are meant to be about the monsters that haunt the dark, that you'll find in the cellar, that live in the darkest groves of the forests." There is more but that I feel is the important bit. That was from Phil Kelly. Page 22 of White Dwarf number 346

If they do that vibe properly with creepy gribblies instead of big monsters I'll be hooked on the new Beasts of Chaos army.

Harwammer
23-10-2008, 23:27
hmm I'm looking forward to what they do with the new BOC, I've always been interested in them but at the moment I'm holding off for the new book.

Interesting tidbit in the newest white dwarf where they are discussing the WOC they make mention of the beasts as well.

"A lot of these creatures can be found in the Beasts of Chaos book but I actually think they're more at home in the warriors of chaos book. The beasts of chaos are meant to be about the monsters that haunt the dark, that you'll find in the cellar, that live in the darkest groves of the forests." There is more but that I feel is the important bit. That was from Phil Kelly. Page 22 of White Dwarf number 346

If they do that vibe properly with creepy gribblies instead of big monsters I'll be hooked on the new Beasts of Chaos army.

Perhaps they are taking away the trolls/chaos ogres/drogres afterall. His description of BoC certainly seemed like it. The second bit just sounds like they are gonna add goblins to BOC though...

zak
23-10-2008, 23:31
I really don't see them removing any units from the beasts army. I would like to see an increase of larger monsters controlled by beastmen. There are tons of monsters available from the WHFB roleplay lists. I would also like to a return to skirmishing ungors, possibly with slings!!!:eek:

waiyuren
23-10-2008, 23:37
It would be interesting to see what they will do to be sure... Just think of all the units, monsters, special characters and "one off scenario" creatures that GW has produced then axed over the years... Wouldn't it be cool if they found a new home in the Beasts of Chaos book? (Maybe appropriately renamed: Creatures of Chaos?)

Moss dragon for the win. Unmounted.... Drool!

Waywatcher-
23-10-2008, 23:39
If you like the models by them.

End of story, cus you might end up with nice new plastic ones, like the great looking daemonettes we have now.............................

Waywatcher

wizuriel
24-10-2008, 04:55
it just goes against what the current policy seems to be. GW doesn't want cross faction books. If they don't remove the dragon ogres ect from beasts of chaos kinda makes the splitting of chaos pointless.

waiyuren
24-10-2008, 12:27
If you like the models by them.

End of story, cus you might end up with nice new plastic ones, like the great looking daemonettes we have now.............................

Waywatcher

You mean the ones that look like vampire crabs?

Yeah, i cut them up and spliced them with Brettionian Knights to make some nice marauders....

Dungeon_Lawyer
24-10-2008, 21:45
if they were to remove shaggoths, minotaurs, and dragon ogres from the BOC list that would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me, Id hang up the dice as far as chaos armies are concerned. This whole splitting up chaos hasnt really done much for me--to much "order" if you ask me---I like my chaos lists errr chaosy.

Deamons are too powerful, WOC are rather static and stale, BOC? hopefully GW will get one of these lists right.

Aurellis
24-10-2008, 21:59
if they were to remove shaggoths, minotaurs, and dragon ogres from the BOC list that would be the straw that breaks the camels back for me, Id hang up the dice as far as chaos armies are concerned. This whole splitting up chaos hasnt really done much for me--to much "order" if you ask me---I like my chaos lists errr chaosy.

Deamons are too powerful, WOC are rather static and stale, BOC? hopefully GW will get one of these lists right.

There's no one way in hell they'll remove Minotaurs (the best-selling BoC unit), and probably Shaggoths from the BoC book. I've got lingering doubts about Dragon Ogres and I may well have to put my freshly painted unit up on eBay sometime :(

I think the evolution of the BoC book can only be good even if it is less powerful than the top tier armies. Gorgons, Chimeras, Harpies... I'd welcome all those rumoured units into the BoC book while happily letting DO's go by if it meant a more diverse and in-depth exploration of the Beasts fluffwise

mrtn
25-10-2008, 10:52
I would be very surprised if we didn't see plastic minotaurs, as the current ones are very old, metal, and look like crap.
I also think plastic bestigors is possible, at least if they remake the rules a bit, so you can take more than one unit without losing out on the fun stuff (like marks of chaos).
I doubt beastherds or centigors will change, as those are new models.
I suspect that BoC may loose chaos ogres, but would probably retain the other units, maybe losing trolls as well.

Anyone interested in Beasts of Chaos should check out The Herdstone (http://s2.invisionfree.com/herdstone/), the best army specific forum out there.

popisdead
29-10-2008, 04:06
IMO you can't go wrong with the following:

Two boxes of herds (full command, no shields)
3 Minotaurs w/ GW's
Mage
GW hero.
10 hounds (nice that they are plastic too now :)
a Chariot.

You'd probably also be safe with 5 centigors w/ a musician as they will likely only get better and are a good unit now.

The rest is up for debate. Having 10 Khorngors with command is useful. A BSB is 'very' good in the army.

I wouldn't start more than a 1000 pt list right now though.