PDA

View Full Version : WOC Great weapons

CULCHAIN
22-10-2008, 03:52
I heard that GW will be releasing bitz for these and 2 hand weapons as well as iconography for the WOC, but I checked the GW web page and no sign.

Does anyone know when this will be?

OldMaster
22-10-2008, 06:53
You mean those?

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46892&d=1224184493

Quite a disappointment if you ask me. Lazy metal sculpts sold in ten pieces per set.

Urgat
22-10-2008, 07:39
Well, it's not like they could do much with the sculpts, the way the arms have to connect to the elbows... What I don't get is, why metal?

Quetzl
22-10-2008, 07:54
Problem is that those weapons are so large they end up making the light weight plastic mini's fall over all the time! You'll have to weight the bases, or magnetise the movement trays which will be a slight pain in dee bumm!

Orcboy_Phil
22-10-2008, 07:57
Problem is that those weapons are so large they end up making the light weight plastic mini's fall over all the time! You'll have to weight the bases, or magnetise the movement trays which will be a slight pain in dee bumm!

Sorry, just wondering how you know this considering the fact there not out yet and there not even up for preorder yet.

Grimtuff
22-10-2008, 09:49
Sorry, just wondering how you know this considering the fact there not out yet and there not even up for preorder yet.

Erm, because they're metal? Is this not obvious from past experience with plastic/metal hybrid kits?

I refer you to the old Space Marine Devastators.

Orcboy_Phil
22-10-2008, 09:55
Erm, because they're metal? Is this not obvious from past experience with plastic/metal hybrid kits?

I refer you to the old Space Marine Devastators.

I haven't always had his problem with metal/platic hybrids thougth. In fact all plastic standard bearers are more of a problem for me. Until we've actually seen the models in action you shouldn't make such bold statements.

loveless
22-10-2008, 13:32
I heard that GW will be releasing bitz for these and 2 hand weapons as well as iconography for the WOC, but I checked the GW web page and no sign.

Does anyone know when this will be?

It's halberd, not 2 hand weapons. 2 hand weapons are already available in the plastic warriors kit.

As for the iconography, no sign has been shown yet. Then again, if the iconography/mark kit exists, they might be saving it for a release alongside the plastic Daemon Prince.

Makaber
22-10-2008, 13:57
Quite a disappointment if you ask me. Lazy metal sculpts sold in ten pieces per set.

No offense, but what the hell did you expect, then?

And I don't think the sculpts are particularly lazy, 10 is a good a number as anything, and making a plastic sprue for them would be a huge waste of resources.

loveless
22-10-2008, 14:02

And I don't think the sculpts are particularly lazy, 10 is a good a number as anything, and making a plastic sprue for them would be a huge waste of resources.

As I've mentioned in the N&R thread relating to these - the Great Weapons look too small - the practically same thing could be converted by lopping off one of the weapon heads from a warrior hand and combining it with the other weapon hand (using the 2xHW options, obviously, as a conversion basis).

The halberds are nice, but are reminiscent of the new knight lances, which could very easily be used in place of the more expensive metals.

10 is a fine number for people using units of 12 (As Musician/Standard Bearer won't need the GW/Halberd), but they become unwieldy for units of 15 or 18 (which seem to be the other common numbers Warriors are fielded in).

Malorian
22-10-2008, 14:14
I don't like the great weapons, but then again I always thought the warriors were best with halbreds, and the halbred sculpts aren't that bad.

I wouldn't worry about the model tipping over. As long as the model is at the back of the base (like it should be) then the great weapons will be fine. The halbreds 'might' have to be tipped to one side but I would still put my money on the model being perfectly fine normally.

Remember that these are just small weapons and not a huge devestator weapons (not that I had any problems with my hybrid devs...).

Orcboy_Phil
22-10-2008, 20:33

I better number would have been 12 considering warriors are sold in boxes of 12.

I'm also going to be equipping mine with halbards. They just seem a much more sensible option considering how good a warrior already is.

Axis
22-10-2008, 23:15
I'm also going to be equipping mine with halbards. They just seem a much more sensible option considering how good a warrior already is.

Agreed. For a troop with a pretty good initiative it seems bizarre to stick a great weapon on them. I do echo whoever said the bitz pack should come in sets of 12.

Phoenix Blaze
22-10-2008, 23:17
I imagine the 10 halberds are for your 12 warriors, where one is holding a horn as a musician and the other is holding the standard.

Makes sense to me.

As has been said, what did people expect? The bodies are the way they are, and with such arm positioning, this is the best they can do, even if they are very similar to the popular GW conversion.

I like the Halberds though, and will probably be using these more. I won't be hitting last in second and other rounds of combat and I'm still dishing out strength 5 hits. Sounds good to me.

Cypher, the Emperor
22-10-2008, 23:25
I better number would have been 12 considering warriors are sold in boxes of 12.

But the reason they are sold in boxes of twelve is so that you can field units of ten and have two extra warriors to swap out with the standard bearer and musician if you don't take them.

Also I like the great weapons, they look really solid.

Shipmonkey
23-10-2008, 13:02
But the reason they are sold in boxes of twelve is so that you can field units of ten and have two extra warriors to swap out with the standard bearer and musician if you don't take them.

Also I like the great weapons, they look really solid.

No, the reason they are sold in a 12 pack is because fo the previous edition, when you only needed four models per rank.

Orcboy_Phil
23-10-2008, 19:26
12 is still a good number as warriors shopuld be feilded in units 6 wide. Still halberds really really need to be sold in packs of 12 not doing so is really just a money-grubbing ploy.

CULCHAIN
24-10-2008, 02:21
when will these be for sale

popisdead
29-10-2008, 03:09
What I don't get is, why metal?

cheap for GW to do. making a full blown sprue or set of sprues costs lots.

PANZERBUNNY
29-10-2008, 04:41
So when plastic was becoming dominant it was said they were doing it to lower costs.....NOW people say that they make metal models because its "cheap"...

Did I miss something while riding the short bus to warseer this evening?

Metal is always more expensive.

New Cult King
29-10-2008, 05:16
Plastic molds are more expensive to make/maintain initially, so making an entire mold for such a small set of bitz wouldn't allow for the money to be made back.

Until we've actually seen the models in action you shouldn't make such bold statements.

Bahahaha bold statement? He just inferred that hybrids are often unbalanced, he didn't claim that they shot his mother or something.

Wintertooth
29-10-2008, 13:17
Did I miss something while riding the short bus to warseer this evening?

Metal is cheap to set up, expensive to run. Plastic is the opposite. So plastic only makes sense for things you'll sell a lot of. Probably these bitz are a stopgap until they make new-style plastic sprues (10 guys, all the options).