PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Wood Elves , C&C Wanted

Tsear
22-10-2008, 06:39
Still playing around with random armies. I came back to wood elves now that I had the experience of a few games, and I like how they play much more than I did before. I used the following list against my friend:

10x Glade Guard:120
5x Glade Rider, Musician:129
5x Glade Rider, Musician:129
8x Dryad: 96

8x Wardancer:144
7xWild Riders: 182
6x Wild Riders: 156
8x Wardancer:144

10x Waywatcher:240
Treeman:285

Branchwraith
Cluster of Radiants
Total:90

Spellsinger
Steed
Dispel Scroll
Divination Orb
Total:152

Noble, Light Armor/Shield
Hail of Doom Arrow
Sword of Might
Elven Steed

My friend was playing Daemons. He took four units of flesh hounds, each led by a juggernaut-mounted herald of Khorne, one of which was the Skulltaker. He also had 20 furies and 30 daemonettes.

When we deployed terrain, I managed to split the board up into two parts and two of his squads of cavalry were isolated and overwhelmed. One other squad ran around unable to catch a circling Wild Rider squad, and the other was wiped out when it was overrun charged in the flank by Wardancers. Overall, I really liked the way everything in my army was crazy mobile, and how I could use forests almost freely while my opponent was penalized terribly whenever he came near a wood. I think I really like wood elves =)

Having said that, I am still rather new at this, and would like some advice on how to make the list that much better. One possible area to move points from are my wild riders; they're 7 and 6 man squads because I basically had some points left over at the end and didn't know where to put them. Is there something I should put those points toward?

One obvious thing is that I don't have a lord level character, but I'm really unimpressed by all the wood elf lords since they're so expensive. I barely talked myself into bringing a hail of doom noble, who really didn't do much the whole game (I put him with glade guard who were never charged, and his hail of doom only killed one fury...bad luck)

I think the hour is making me ramble. Any thoughts on how to improve the list?

The Red Scourge
22-10-2008, 06:57
Wild Riders really gain from a standard and a warbanner, and IMO the perfect unit size for them is 6.

One of the most popular hero builds for woodies is an Alter with Helm of the Hunt and the Hail of Doom Arrow + LA, Sh, GW – he is fantastic.

When you're in doubt of a Lord, go with the Ancient with Annoyance of Netlings and Cluster of Radiants.

And a (Lvl 2) scroll caddie would be nice – thats what I'd use for heros.

And since you have two units of Wild Riders, I'd probably make one of the Glade Riders into Glade Guards.

PARTYCHICORITA
22-10-2008, 12:55
The best unit size for Wild riders is (as the red already said) 6.
The best unit size for wardancers is 7 with command.
The best unit size for waywatchers is 5 (10 is pointless because it's really hard to move around) 6 may work, 7 or more is to much.
I wouldnt take a treeman i am not a big fan of them, Stubborn Ld8 is really hard to pull since it turns on you on the worst of occasions.
Now, on characters and builds; divination orb is a terrible item (the WE have tons of those) another dispel scroll is better). The branchwraith is actually quiet expensive for what she offers, another noble would give better combat. Finally your general is pretty good. Helm of the hunt is also a very good item.

Finally the most popular WE lord i have seem is Arcanebodkins+Bow of Loren+Random talisman you like on an Alter Highborn with a great weapon. That would for sure shoot down those nasty 0+ save heralds once the hounds are dead.

I would drop the treeman and split the unit of waywatchers in 2 of 5 or 6 (Killing blow those dogs!). Get some more dryads and the lord. Then dance around him killing he's units. Once some of the hounds are gone you can start targeting the characters with you lord and once they are dead you can finish of the surviving deamons with your dancers and riders.

Hope that helps.

Quintillius
22-10-2008, 19:35
give ur noble waywatcher kindred and put him in the unit of waywatchers in ur first turn deploy them inside ur own wood which should be palced the fulll 24 inches forward if hes got first turn he cant do nothin cus he cant see them and u can just walk 5 with no penalties and march block and shoot him to pieces with hail of doom arrows

Makarion
22-10-2008, 22:53
Then, on your opponent's turn, he fires back at your lord with magic or his own ranged troops and your general is dead. Brilliant plan, that.

Another drawback of the waywatcher kindred is that the kindred abilities don't work when you have a magic bow. In my opinion, it's one of the least useful kindreds for the wood elves - I'd rather have an alter kindred if I want an archer.

Tsear
23-10-2008, 15:24
The thing is, an alter lord with a bow of loren and arcane bodkins costs about 250 points. He gets of probably 4 hits a turn with the bow, but 4 S3 hits, even if they bypass armor, really doesn't seem worth it when it takes up an eighth of my army. I guess he's decent in a fight, too, but 250 points of just about anything had better be good in one. I'm not really sold on the idea.

PARTYCHICORITA
23-10-2008, 21:49
The thing is, an alter lord with a bow of loren and arcane bodkins costs about 250 points. He gets of probably 4 hits a turn with the bow, but 4 S3 hits, even if they bypass armor, really doesn't seem worth it when it takes up an eighth of my army. I guess he's decent in a fight, too, but 250 points of just about anything had better be good in one. I'm not really sold on the idea.

5 S3 shots with no armor saves have a more than decent chances of taking down those 0+ save Khorne heralds on jugger and once 1 of the hounds is dead you can start targetting them inside the units. The khorne heralds themselves are around 200pts so it's not that bad of a deal+ is your best chance of nailing them since magic won't do much and it's to dangerous to engage them in combat.

AngelsPurgatos
24-10-2008, 01:08
5 S3 shots with no armor saves have a more than decent chances of taking down those 0+ save Khorne heralds on jugger and once 1 of the hounds is dead you can start targetting them inside the units. The khorne heralds themselves are around 200pts so it's not that bad of a deal+ is your best chance of nailing them since magic won't do much and it's to dangerous to engage them in combat.

I agree. Alter lords are one of my two lord favs. My alter set up is the bow/arrow combo with glamourweave and an enchanted shield. You have 4+ 4++ against shooting and magic. You have the excellent shooting mentioned above; this combo helps WE take down the units that are otherwise too tough for regular shooting or too risky to charge. In combat, the alter lord has 5 str 6 attacks at ws7 with 5+ armor and the enemy must pass an Ld test to attack. Or you can opt for the 5 str4 attacks with 3+ armor using the shield. Lots of flexibility. Extremely mobile. Quite survivable (though still an independent character).

The other lord I like is a wardancer with AoN, Blades of Loec, and either the amber pendant (just to be sure) or the talisman that gives 3+ vs mundane. She can add that extra kick to a dancer unit that can allow them to take on almost anyone.

Tsear
24-10-2008, 02:02
I'll give the alter lord a try. I don't think the lord can target characters inside of units, though. IIRC if I'm shooting at a unit with less than 5 normal troopers, the hits are allocated normally, I can't just choose to pick out the character. Is that right? I'm a bit of a noob so excuse me if it's not.

cythis456
24-10-2008, 02:47
You are correct about the hits being randomized.
I also think you are correct about the elven lord choices. They are all rather expensive for what they do, and there is no reason why you have to take one at all.
I quite like the list, lots of killing blow with the large amount of waywatchers and wardancers should be quite useful vs multi wound demons, and most of your units should be maneuverable enough to ensure uneven combats.

I would make a few changes though, some of them already mentioned.

1. bring the wardancers down to 7 and the first wild rider unit down to six.

2. Use those points to buy banner/warbanner on one of the wild rider units and some command for the wardancers.

3. Change the divination orb for another scroll, casts on 4+ dice are very rare.

4. Change your noble on steed into a noble of the alter kindred with Helm of the hunt, Hail of doom, Light armor, great weapon and shield, he will provide a mobile source of high strength attacks which your army is otherwise lacking in.

5. Drop the branchwraith entirely and use those 90 points to upgrade your treeman to a treeman ancient with the cluster of radients and the annoyance of nettlings. You will keep your dispell die, the treeman will be much more reliable, and able to go toe to toe with most heroes and monster riders in the game.

Makarion
24-10-2008, 03:37
Myself, I only run spellweaver lords, or a treeman ancient if I'm feeling particularly vexed. For most other purposes, I'd rather use normal troops...

Example: the Alter highborn with bow of Loren etc is about as good of an archer as you can build, but for the same cost you can get a unit of Waywatchers and a unit of Warhawk Riders. Or 3 full ranks of Eternal Guard, 7 wide. Or 2 units of Glade Riders. Or a unit of 3 Treekin and a Branchwraith.

Now, I am willing to concede that the Highborn has a definite role in the army list. For instance, playing vehicle to a Rhymer's Harp in a winter list with a big unit of EG, or as a dragon rider. I can't see it be effective under 3,000 points though.