PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworlds time to shine in exports? British Pound hits all time low to US dollar.

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 13:18
The GBP has historically traded at about 1 for 2 to the US dollar, its current value is roughly 1.63-1.65 US dollars.

What does this mean?

It means we in the US can essentially buy Forgworld products for about 18-20% cheaper than they were a few weeks ago. This is good news for Forgeworld. Their relative domestic purchasing power hasn't really declined, but their customers have just received a huge incentive to buy *now* as though they had just put everything on sale, without *actually* doing so (unless they plan to sink their profits right back into another foreign currency, which I highly doubt).

I know if I were them I'd be kicking it into overdrive right about now.

Comments?

blongbling
22-10-2008, 13:33
Well all things considered the UK market is still by and large the largest market for GW and i would imagine for FW too so i doubt they are worried about it too much

Vaktathi
22-10-2008, 13:35
I don't think they should be worried at all (except for being able to keep up), their potential likely sales from overseas has just been given a big boost!

Aurellis
22-10-2008, 14:19
That's great news for the Americans, the recent FW price rise was below inflationary figures too so it's effectively cheaper here in the UK too. I may get that Tiger Shark after all :)

Jo Bennett
23-10-2008, 15:16
The GBP has historically traded at about 1 for 2 to the US dollar, its current value is roughly 1.63-1.65 US dollars.

Um. Not really. $1.60 per has been the norm for quite a while, the recent spike as the dollar collapsed is the aberration.

Vaktathi
23-10-2008, 15:39
Um. Not really. $1.60 per has been the norm for quite a while, the recent spike as the dollar collapsed is the aberration.

It was 1 for 2 (or very close) for the last couple years (late 06-september 08), which for currency markets is pretty much ancient history.

borithan
23-10-2008, 15:44
Meh... I suspect the downturn in both Britain and the US are likely to eat up far more profits than the drop in the exchange rate is likely to add.

That and they will now have to pay more for any imported materials etc, and the general inflationary effect it will have on things bought in Britain.

So... while maybe a good idea for yanks to buy anything they want from Forgeworld now, I don't think it is that good news for Forgeworld.

zedeyejoe
23-10-2008, 16:40
I remember $1.40 to the pound but the pound did slide to $1.05 in 1985

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph2.htm

so take what analysts say with a pinch of salt.

Mr Kibbles
29-10-2008, 11:57
But all this is bad for us Aussies! :(

jedipenguin
29-10-2008, 14:13
But all this is bad for us Aussies! :(

Yeah but you guys get all the cool snakes/spiders/jellyfish, so it balances out...

Eldramesha
29-10-2008, 16:37
Yeah but you guys get all the cool snakes/spiders/jellyfish, so it balances out...

Not to mention that I've yet to meet an Aussie who wasn't somehow a badass.

spud75
29-10-2008, 18:10
Not to mention that I've yet to meet an Aussie who wasn't somehow a badass.

Met a few who couldn't hold their beer though!:D

Talk about thread creep!

Maskedman5oh4
30-10-2008, 08:12
Forgeworld Purchase List:

Tyranid Trygon
Tyranid Barbed Heirodule
Warhammer Fantasy Giant
Eldar Avatar...probably with the sword.

Ward.
30-10-2008, 08:28
Met a few who couldn't hold their beer though!:D

Talk about thread creep!

Thats because beer isn't for holding :angel:

Anyone know of any bits retailers that deal in the pound?

Patriarch
30-10-2008, 10:34
Thats because beer isn't for holding :angel:

Anyone know of any bits retailers that deal in the pound?

http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk

'Course you have to get the stuff over to where you are...

Mr Kibbles
31-10-2008, 03:39
Am i seriously the only Aussie in this thread? Australia mate!:) Galipolli, Kakoda, vegemite, Meat and 3 Veg! :) VB! :)

Huw_Dawson
31-10-2008, 22:53

If I understand right, it's not the case of a weaker British pound, just the US giving out bonds to shore up the dollar, and they've turned out somewhat popular...

But anyway, I digress. Devaluation is always good for British exports, so this might be good for FW. Of course, if buyers start getting laid off..

- Huw