PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf Dragon.

Kahadras
22-10-2008, 12:19
Recently I've been building a Wood Elf army and was thinking that a Highborn on a Dragon would be a great center piece for the army. I was just looking for some advice on recommended builds and and tricks people have learnt. My basic plan for a build was something like...

Highborn + Forest Dragon, light armour, Enchanted Shield, Stone of the Crystal Mere and Sword of Might = 528p

The Highborn has a 4+ armour save and both he and his Dragon have a 3+ ward save untill they fail it. I threw in the Sword of Might as well to give my general a boost in hand to hand combat. The basic plan is to knock out enemy warmachines with my Waywatchers while my Dragon rampages up a flank with My Glade riders and Giant Eagle in support.

Kahadras

Malorian
22-10-2008, 14:18
It has worked well for me. The crystal mere is an AMAZING piece of gear and I'm really amazed more people don't use it. (I only don't use it because I'm afraid people will get mad at me...)

The build depends on the rest of your army:

Are you a mixed assault WE army? Then helm of the hunt and a magical weapon is nice (as are murder sprits)

Are you a hide and shoot WE army? Then arkain bodkins and the bow of loren is nice. (Between the bow and the breath is makes the model the perfect knight killer)

Kahadras
22-10-2008, 16:11
The main these of the army that I was going for is a late autumn/winter idea. With my list fairly much restricted to Elf units (no forest spirits) I decided that a Dragon was needed to add a lot of punch to the list which othersie would be relying on Wardancers. Shooting is fairly well covered with Glade Guard, Glade Riders, Nobles on foot and Waywatchers.

Kahadras

Gethostar
22-10-2008, 16:36
No offence but Wood Elves don't survive or doesn't stay long on the field if they don't got forest spirits...

Dryads best unit of the game (when you look at core)...
Wild Riders use it in every game!

Also the dragon will take a lot of shooting and versus dwarfs it might be hard to get the warmachines gone...

When I go 2000 or 2250 I mostly take a Highborn with echanted shield, LA, Bow of loren and Arkain bodkins... And last tournament he did pretty good versus those nasty black knights :D, but agains't an army like Ogre Kingdoms he's quite useless...
PS: with this combo he has a 4+ save... And I make him alter! He's fast and you can hide him pretty easy, so he doesn't see alot of arrows coming at him if you use your brain :D

On the tournament's I have played with him he died once :P Pretty good on 3 tournaments :P

BigbyWolf
22-10-2008, 17:20
Surely we should be encouraging people who want to try different themes for armies, instead of dismissing them out of hand?

I've used Wood Elves without any forest spirits before and found them to be competitive, and have also used the Dragon from time to time. It's a very impressive model, and makes a great centre-piece for the army.

Dragon Prince of Caledor
22-10-2008, 17:35
Birds hunt war machines; dragons hunt units... Isnt there an item to give a wood elf a 3+ ward save against non magical attacks. i think that would be useful. I wouldnt use waywatchers and a dragon to harass the flanks; waywatchers dont negate ranks. I would use the dragon to take out small units and flank others whist hitting the front with wild riders or wardancers. Even though its tough i wouldnt recommend smashing it into the front of enemy elite units because you will lose to something lame like my trusted battle banner and the big flying beast will be run down by infantry. (seen a dragon mage get run down by thunderers ! that was funny :) ) Good luck; dragons are a blast! Do not fight my star dragon ;)

Gethostar
22-10-2008, 19:35
Surely we should be encouraging people who want to try different themes for armies, instead of dismissing them out of hand?

I've used Wood Elves without any forest spirits before and found them to be competitive, and have also used the Dragon from time to time. It's a very impressive model, and makes a great centre-piece for the army.

I don't want to dismis him but from the games I tried exept the shooting it wasn't very, how do I say like I was planning it...
Wardancers are great but you need to cover them else they are gone...

Kahadras
22-10-2008, 19:45
No offence but Wood Elves don't survive or doesn't stay long on the field if they don't got forest spirits...

No offence but I believe you're wrong. Forest spirits are merely one aspect of a Wood Elf army and I think they are relied upon too heavily TBH. I'm in favor of creating a Wood elf army that focuses on fire and maneuver rather than close combat and units like Dryad and Treemen aren't really what I'm looking for. Just because shooting isn't for you doesn't mean it's a write off.

Also the dragon will take a lot of shooting and versus dwarfs it might be hard to get the warmachines gone...

This problem being magnified even more when I run across Empire Gunlines. Just because the rock of lots of warmachines beats my scissors of Dragon doesn't say a lot. Better to hand out useful advise about what to do in such a situation.

Kahadras

FigureFour
23-10-2008, 16:58
No offence but I believe you're wrong. Forest spirits are merely one aspect of a Wood Elf army and I think they are relied upon too heavily TBH. I'm in favor of creating a Wood elf army that focuses on fire and maneuver rather than close combat and units like Dryad and Treemen aren't really what I'm looking for. Just because shooting isn't for you doesn't mean it's a write off.

True. Like I say every time this topic is brought up, filling your min core with Glade Riders (with muscian), taking 2 units of 10 Waywatchers and filling your special choices with units of 3-4 Warhawks is a brutal way to play.

It works, but you might lose friends.

As for the dragon, I think its best use in a Wood Elf army is the same as everything else the Wood Elves have.

I'd take something like:
Highborn + Forest Dragon, light armour, spear, Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Helm of the Hunt, Stone of the Crystal Mere. (My points costs may be off, I'm posting from work.)

You don't want to rush it into combat. Spend your time manuvering it carefully to cause terror and set up shots on armoured units with your breath weapon and/or the arcane bodkins. Then, when the opportunity presents itself, use a flank charge to turn a combat that looks iffy into a slaughter.

This way the expensive model can (hopefully) be useful every turn, even if it isn't in combat.

sneroplex
23-10-2008, 18:18
You can use the bow of loren to fire magic arrows?

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 18:44

Yup, thats what bows do :D

sneroplex
23-10-2008, 19:53
That's awesome! I always thought I came across some rule that said you can't use the bow of loren to fire magic arrows, but right now I can't find it. Maybe the waywatchers killing blow thing got me confused.

FigureFour
24-10-2008, 01:41

Really both the Bow of Loren and magic arrows suck unless you use them together.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

cythis456
24-10-2008, 02:24
I think that the best builds for the highborn are either
1. Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Stone of Crystal Mere, Enchanted Shield, Light Armor, Spear/great weapon
or
2. Oaken armor, Stone of Crystal Mere, Sword of Might, light armor, shield

If you are going all asrai, making a sethayla-ish list such as the one figure four mentioned will probably serve you best. I could see either of the two highborn setups above working with such a list. The first one adding to the already impressive shooting phase, and the second one makes the model very defensible and able to take on monsters like the hydra that would pose a threat to your waywatchers.

Bitey
07-11-2008, 20:37
I think that the best builds for the highborn are either
1. Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Stone of Crystal Mere, Enchanted Shield, Light Armor, Spear/great weapon
or
2. Oaken armor, Stone of Crystal Mere, Sword of Might, light armor, shield

If you are going all asrai, making a sethayla-ish list such as the one figure four mentioned will probably serve you best. I could see either of the two highborn setups above working with such a list. The first one adding to the already impressive shooting phase, and the second one makes the model very defensible and able to take on monsters like the hydra that would pose a threat to your waywatchers.

why the sword of might though? doesn't a spear do effectively the same thing for much cheaper- you aren't going to be (hopefully!) getting your dragon stuck in protracted combats so relying on the charge isn't too unreasonable, that way you can afford an encahnted shield too...

Kahadras
07-11-2008, 23:27
why the sword of might though? doesn't a spear do effectively the same thing for much cheaper- you aren't going to be (hopefully!) getting your dragon stuck in protracted combats so relying on the charge isn't too unreasonable, that way you can afford an encahnted shield too...

Sword of might is there for when you do get stuck in combat. There will be times when you do get bogged down and that extra strength could help out. Additionaly it gives you magical attacks which help in certain situations. Really it's six of one, half a dozen of another. The spear will do fine but in certain situations you'll be wishing you had spent the extra points of the sword.

Kahadras

itcamefromthedeep
07-11-2008, 23:41
I'm guessing that Dragon would work perfectly for the fade/shoot style Wood Elf army.

My high elf Dragon has never been lost to shooting. Now, I don't face a lot of gunlines, but you can use terrain and the mobility of the Dragon to put it outside the fire arc of the move-or-shoot Handgunners, which just leaves the War Machines to worry about. That's what your Ward save for the Dragon is for. A Dragon is a good gamble against even 3 cannons, and there very well might not be that many after breath weapons, Panic, Eagles and Terror.

Elves All The Way
10-11-2008, 05:29
hello, now i'm no wood elve player ands don't know that much (i play high elves) but, my friend plays wood elves, why dont you get the sisters on the forest dragon? besides the money issue they deadly as hell since you have to kill both of them in the same turn, right? i might be wrong

Kahadras
10-11-2008, 09:46
Probably because they cost nearly 600 points when monted on a Dragon. OK you have to kill both in the same turn to make them go away but if you down the Dragon then they are walking. On top of this they don't get access to stuff like Stone of the Crystal Mere.

Kahadras