PDA

View Full Version : Help me with this - IG force composition

Vic
22-10-2008, 14:50
After having read this thread: http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167841 , Im wondering how I should proceed with what I've got IG wise.

I have 145 Cadian troops (done with the Pig Iron gas mask/kettle helmet mod on 120 of them, the others are old school metals/special weapons), a box of Heavy weapons, 3 sentinels, 30 Storm troopers (which pull double duty with the Inquisition), a stand in for a Basilisk, and 80 Warzone minis (from the starter box, Bauhaus and Imperial). The rumour mill makes me think I can field a horde army, but Im wondering what else I might want to add to my "gang" (rabble, wouldnt call it a proper army yet).

At our house, this force would normally face vanilla SM, Nid horde, small Ork force, and Tau...

Anyone have valid suggestions? HELP!!

Xenobane
22-10-2008, 17:06
To clarify: are you wanting to build an all-infantry force, or looking for general suggestions on what to expand with?

In terms of an all-infantry list, you've got the makings of much more than a "rabble"! So long as you have a few officers and a good smattering of special weapons you'll be ok. Except you'll surely need some more heavy weapons - just the one box is nowhere near enough. I'd recommend buying a couple more squads at least.

If you're looking beyond infantry then you'll obviously be needing to add some tanks to become a fully fledged IG army. The Leman Russ and Hellhound are almost certain to be just as central to the IG under the next codex as they are at the moment. I wouldn't worry overly about the impact of the new codex, in fact - basic infantry, heavy weapons and the core tanks will remain legal and useful.

Vic
22-10-2008, 18:36
I wasnt fully aware that I could make an all infantry army? Im more used to all the toys the Marines have. If I were to go that route, how many HW squads do you think would suffice? The box comes with all the options, and I have enough troops to kit out all the options that come with the box.

Lord Cook
22-10-2008, 20:02
I wouldn't overly concern yourself with the new rumours. Ultimately, they may turn out to be true or they may prove to be complete fantasy. While them being somewhat accurate is likely, we've got at least 5 or 6 months before any new codex. In the meantime, you can't really go wrong with basic troops, common tanks and plenty of heavy weapons.

In terms of how many heavy weapons for an all-infantry army, you just need to consider what sort of enemies you face and take enough of the appropriate weapons to deal with that. If your opponents are likely to use a horde (such as the 'Nids you mentioned) then consider taking two mortar support squads, and maybe a unit of missile launchers. If you expect plenty of heavy armour in the form of Space Marines, then some lascannons seem a sensible precaution against land raiders, supported by missiles or autocannons for lighter vehicles like land speeders. We can't really tell you how many because that all depends on your army, the terrain, etc. but in 1,500 points I have 9 when I'm using tanks, and about 12 if it's an all-infantry force. Bear in mind that presumes a large quantity of special weapons as well, as they are almost as important as the heavies IMO.