PDA

View Full Version : Explorator Warband

BigRob
22-10-2008, 19:14
Hello,

Watching Aliens the other night got me thinking about how awesome the power loader is, then while browsing eBay for pretty things I happened to come across a whole range of power loader toys :D

Reading the Explorator warband article the description of the servo harness sounds alot more like a power loader than the backpack with 4 arms thing that a space marine techmarine wears. So how outragous would it be to use something like the loader as a servo harness? It doesnt seem to do mutch except double the wearers strength and allow heavy weapons to be used one handed. Obviously there are no heavy weapons on a loader so we wont be worrying about seeing something with a missile launcher and heavy bolter or some other horrifying combination.

Next question of course is when does it double your strength. Tech priests with bionic arms are immensly strong (Delphan whatsit from the rulebook has over 100 strength for example) Would you get your super bionic strength then double it? Spacemarines have a S of 200 and I'd imagine a dude in a big old loader being able to wrestle a marine just about.

Anyway onto the warband itself and I imagined something like a small explorator group attached to the ordo xenos. They are a tech recovery team who go into dangerous ground in the hunt for ancient tech to recover or alien tech to investigate and find ways to destroy. The Explorator Magos is backed up by his apprentice Enginseer and thier Electro Priest who brings things back to life. The technical servitor carries the bags and does the heavy lifting.

So starting with Magos Markus Braun, a tech Magos well on his way to being rid of that tiresome flesh and devoting himself to the Machine. He has been an Explorator magos for the last 40 years after a distinguished rise through the ranks. He has been responsible for several important discoveries including a part in the recovery of the STC for the new pattern Land Raider Redeemer.

Magos Markus Braun
WS BS S T I WP SG NV LD
69 68 57 65 78 84 96 81 86
(105)
Skills: Leader.
Magos Braun is Left Handed.
Bionics: Advanced BionicLegs, Arms, and Head. Average Bionic Lungs, Heart, Ears and Eyes which incorperate Motion Tracker, Bio Tracker and Rangefinder.
Weapons: A Chainblade attachment incorperated in his left arm. Laspistol, Suspensor Field Projector.
Equipment: Robes of the Mechanicus, Mechandrites, Re-Breather, Detox injector (4 doses), Conversion Field Generator.

The Suspensor Field Projector is a piece of archeotech discovered by Braun in the ancient archives of Dastarnion 7. Amid the wrecked machinery and computer banks he found the harness and recognising the technology, brought it back to Mars where it was re awakened and examined. He now uses the harness in his work, using it to assist in exploration and as a weapon.
The Suspensor Field Projector uses the Archeotec Rules and is otherwise considered to be a MIU shoulder mounted Graviton Gun.

Enginseer Jermain Phillips is Brauns apprentice and is just starting on his path to become a fully fledged techpriest. He is proud to be working for such a great and respected Magos and goes out of his way to show his enthusiasm and loyalty. He has survived several expeditions (already more than Brauns last apprentice) and Braun has high hopes for him.

Enginseer Jermain Phillips
WS BS S T I WP SG NV LD
42 45 42 53 44 71 66 53 52
(65)
Jermain Phillips is Right Handed.
Bionics: Average Bionic Arm, Leg, Eye incorperating Bio Tracker.
Weapons: Chain Axe, Autopistol.
Equipment: Flak armour on Body, Upper Arms, Upper Legs and Groin. Re-Breather, Mechandrites, Robes of the Mechanicus

Right thats the first two up. I dont see them as being that fighty but the do have a good excuse to be poking thier noses in places that might upset other people or tracking down people abusing technology or alien technology.

kaled
23-10-2008, 13:00
Watching Aliens the other night got me thinking about how awesome the power loader is, then while browsing eBay for pretty things I happened to come across a whole range of power loader toys :DMy feeling is, if you can build a great model of an AdMech Magos in a powerloader then you ought to be able to use him in a game - in fact I'd love to play against such a thing. Is this a 54mm project? Care to give us a link to the model you plan to use?

So how outragous would it be to use something like the loader as a servo harness?It doesn't seem unreasonable, but you could just make up some rules of your own to properly represent it. I don't really see why it should double your strength - surely the only muscle power being employed is the artifical muscle of the powerloader. Therefore I'd just give it a fixed strength, depending on how the model looks, somewhere around 150-200 wouldn't be unreasonable. I'd also say that it's slow and lumbering, so reduce the movement rates for a character wearing one, and perhaps apply a penalty to his WS & I as he can't fight and move as well as normal. Plus it should be armoured of course.

That would give you a character who is strong enough to kill anyone he hits in close combat, but is less likely to hit than normal, and is slow enough that a fast, agile opponent can keep one step ahead of him.

Anyway onto the warband itself and I imagined something like a small explorator group attached to the ordo xenos.Why attach them to the Ordo Xenos? That part of the story seems wholly unnecessary. Otherwise, it's pretty much your standard AdMech Explorator warband, which sounds fine to me.

Magos Markus Braun
WS BS S T I WP SG NV LD
69 68 57 65 78 84 96 81 86
(105)
Skills: Leader.
Magos Braun is Left Handed.
Bionics: Advanced BionicLegs, Arms, and Head. Average Bionic Lungs, Heart, Ears and Eyes which incorperate Motion Tracker, Bio Tracker and Rangefinder.
Weapons: A Chainblade attachment incorperated in his left arm. Laspistol, Suspensor Field Projector.
Equipment: Robes of the Mechanicus, Mechandrites, Re-Breather, Detox injector (4 doses), Conversion Field Generator.The stats look okay, but without knowing what level your group plays at there's not much more I can say there. He has a lot of advanced equipment, but is a Magos so probably could get hold of it, however I'd drop the conversion field and some of the bionics as he has only been a Magos for 40 years. He also seems to be overly equipped with things to protect him from toxins - couldn't he just rely on his bionics? What are 'Robes of the Mechanicus'?

Enginseer Jermain Phillips
WS BS S T I WP SG NV LD
42 45 42 53 44 71 66 53 52
(65)
Jermain Phillips is Right Handed.
Bionics: Average Bionic Arm, Leg, Eye incorperating Bio Tracker.
Weapons: Chain Axe, Autopistol.
Equipment: Flak armour on Body, Upper Arms, Upper Legs and Groin. Re-Breather, Mechandrites, Robes of the MechanicusWhich arm is bionic? I'm guessing his right as he's right-handed and most players choose to have their characters lose their dominant arm, that way the replacement is more effective - it'd be more interesting if it was his left though (or his right arm was bionic, but he was left handed). You say he has flak armour on his upper arms and legs - how does that work? The rules make no distinction between upper and lower parts of limbs.

Finally, how do you plan to model these guys?

- Dave

BigRob
23-10-2008, 13:56
Cheers for the advice, I'm not all that up on how "regular" inquisitor works since the last time I played in any kind of major game was not long after it cam eout and most people were running space marines or eldar as thier warband which made for a dull game. The warband is not really designed with a specific group in mind, I was more interested in converting the loader.

There are two models available, a posh expensive one and the one that was released during the time of the aliens toyline. I'd be going with the Kenner one although it cops out by having track units instead of legs. It would probably suffer the saw though to get the scale right. google Kenner Aliens Power Loader and you'll find it.

The magos, no problem, I can up his age to better fit the mentor/collector role. The Robes thing is literally the big red/black robes that mechanicus types like to wear. The conversion field is removable, I thought it would be fitting for the magos to rely on superior mechanicus technology rather than solid armour. Equally the detox injector is because he works in xenos environments, ancient catacombs and the like where rogue sentinet virus's, toxins and other nasties live.

As for the Enginseer, yes my bad, his Left arm is the bionic. I was going for the two bionics ince in most AdMec miniatures they have one arm/one leg/one eye bioniced, so I felt it was appropriate as the first steps to machinedom. Armourwise, I'll change it to torso/groin worn under the robes.

Models wise, I know alot of the inquisitor stuff is out of production now so hopefully it will get brought back soon. Obviously the two techprist models are a strat (although tezla is not as helpful due to being one armed) so initially I'll be probably getting the loader and kitbashing it to 54" using delphan gruss as a base for a pilot and as a seperate on foot model for magos braun when he is out of his loader. I'm thinking mixing it with covenant for the MIU psycannon which will form the basis of the graviton gun.

Thanks

precinctomega
23-10-2008, 16:44
You might like to click on the link in kaled's signature. His AdMech conversions are awesome (and actually include an Explorator based on a 54mm space suit from Alien).

R.

kaled
23-10-2008, 17:56
The warband is not really designed with a specific group in mind, I was more interested in converting the loader.I can understand that, most of my models were build just because I wanted to build them - only about 15 of the 50 or so have actually been used in games.

Models wise, I know alot of the inquisitor stuff is out of production now so hopefully it will get brought back soon.I've been hoping for a while that the other models will be brought back, but I don't see it happening any time soon. However, as PO points out, there are loads of other manufacturers of 54mm models out there - many of which can be converted to fit the 41st millenium without too much trouble. For example, my Explorator warband currently only has two members, but both are based on models by Andrea Miniatures (Explorator (http://www.kaled100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/kryzak.JPG), Skitarius (http://www.kaled100.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/skitarius.JPG)).

- Dave