PDA

View Full Version : is the halebard worth it???

General Squeek Squeek
22-10-2008, 20:28
I'm at a friends house and unfortunately my rulebook is at home. We disputing over how the halebard works. I thought it struck at initiative with +1 strength and you could use a shield with it, but my friend says it strikes last and uses two hands. If I could get a quick verification that'd be great. I'm probably wrong (wouldn't be the first time:))

Mad Dok Wotnot
22-10-2008, 20:33
strikes on initiative, uses 2 hands so no shield, +1 str every round of combat

Aurellis
Halberds don't always strike last and do fight at initiative order and they are 2 handed. The main benefit of Halberds is for mounted models where GW's aren't as useful.

NB: beaten to it ;p

loveless
Halberd is +1 at initiative.
Great Weapon is +2, ASL.

I don't remember the hands for sure, but I'm pretty sure both require 2 hands, so no shields in combat. You can still use shields against shooting attacks, of course.

Mad Dok Wotnot
22-10-2008, 20:36
in like a whippet i am

General Squeek Squeek
22-10-2008, 20:37
thanks everyone. I guess we me and my friend were both a bit right (or wrong).

SolarHammer
22-10-2008, 20:40
It is clear in the rules, please read them.

Mireadur
22-10-2008, 20:50
strikes on initiative, uses 2 hands so no shield, +1 str every round of combat

Lol welcome back Mad!

Lord Dan
22-10-2008, 23:19

In his defense, he did say that his rulebook was at home.

Lord Malorne
22-10-2008, 23:28

That is not constructive criticism to give, he asked in the right forum for an answer and a correct answer was given.

SolarHammer
22-10-2008, 23:38
I think it is constructive, because the rules are in the rulebook.

If, after checking the rulebook a potential question is unresolved then by all means turn to the forums.

The weapon descriptions and rules are clearly stated in the rulebook.

It's a lame excuse (that is to say, no excuse) to say you left the rulebook at home. What are you doing playing a game of Warhammer without the rulebook close at hand (or alternatively, if you're playing a game of Warhammer without a rulebook, who cares what the rulebook says about what benefits halberds provide - you might as well just make up your own)?

It is not the place, or even a permissible use, of the forums to provide such simple answers to questions that shouldn't really even be asked in the first place.

I was not rude to the poster, I did not say that others should not answer his question, I merely stated that the rules are clear in the rulebook.

And let's be honest here, it's rare that I can say about GW written rules that they are clear, so I will take every opportunity to do so thank you very much.

General Squeek Squeek
23-10-2008, 03:36
I think it is constructive, because the rules are in the rulebook.

If, after checking the rulebook a potential question is unresolved then by all means turn to the forums.

The weapon descriptions and rules are clearly stated in the rulebook.

It's a lame excuse (that is to say, no excuse) to say you left the rulebook at home. What are you doing playing a game of Warhammer without the rulebook close at hand (or alternatively, if you're playing a game of Warhammer without a rulebook, who cares what the rulebook says about what benefits halberds provide - you might as well just make up your own)?

It is not the place, or even a permissible use, of the forums to provide such simple answers to questions that shouldn't really even be asked in the first place.

I was not rude to the poster, I did not say that others should not answer his question, I merely stated that the rules are clear in the rulebook.

And let's be honest here, it's rare that I can say about GW written rules that they are clear, so I will take every opportunity to do so thank you very much.:wtf:

well thanks everyone else for helping me out. I was visiting a friend who lived 2 hours away and left my book at home by mistake. I'm know the vast majority of the rules as well as had my army books on hand. It was either a 2 hour trip back or politely asking on a forum. I really didn't expect to be ridiculed.

Solar Hammer you didn't have to respond to me if you didn't want to give the answer. Your post was rude and nonconstructive. I guess some people can't help but be an @$$ on these forums.:rolleyes:

SolarHammer
23-10-2008, 03:43
What part of my post do you think is rude?

I don't think I've been an ass in any way whatsoever and didn't ridicule you in any way.

I'm not going to apologize because you're being overly sensitive and jumping at shadows.

My intention was however not to offend.

Badbones777
23-10-2008, 13:56
What part of my post do you think is rude?

I don't think I've been an ass in any way whatsoever and didn't ridicule you in any way.

I'm not going to apologize because you're being overly sensitive and jumping at shadows.

My intention was however not to offend.

"Fantasy Rules For all your Fantasy rules questions."

It was posted in the right section, and was a question about fantasy rules.

Since you weren't answering his question in any way, or asking a question of your own, then by your own logic you've less right to post what you did than he did- If you want to be a moderator set up your own forum, otherwise if you have nothing to add, don't bother posting.