PDA

View Full Version : Empire assembly

Lord 0
23-10-2008, 00:25
I *finally* have enough State troops to start assembling them, but now that it comes to it, I am not sure what to assemble them *as*. I have four blocks of 30 and two blocks of 20.

These are pretty much all of the core infantry I will ever own, so it is pretty important to me that I get the right balance of what I will need for a wide variety of circumstances. If I am reasonably lucky, I may be able to expand the blocks of 20 to blocks of 25, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I was thinking one block of 30 as spearmen, another as halberdiers, and two blocks of 30 swordsmen. for the 20 I would make one block halberdiers and another block free-company.

I would field the 30 spearmen with 15 swordsmen and 15 free company for when I needed a formation with lots of attacks.

I would deploy 30 halberdiers with 15 halberdiers and 15 swordsmen for those occasions I was up against high T or high AS opponents.

I would deploy 30 swordsmen with 15 swordsmen as the closest thing I have to a tar-pit (for theme reasons I can never have flagellants).

Obviously I won't be able to field all of those options all at once, but I figure I will probably be fielding two of the three at any given time against any given opponent.

Are any of these configurations any good? What ones are more useful?

Kalec
23-10-2008, 00:39
The best solution is to model about 10 or 15 of each. Fill the front ranks with the appropriately modeled troops, and use the others to fill the back ranks.

If you must choose, swordsmen. All swordsmen. They are the best, and you will rarely have a non-fluff reason for taking any of the others.

Morph
23-10-2008, 08:21
Not sure there's much need for such big units. I'd run 25 max per unit and probably untis of 10 max for the detatchments.

Remember that the general way state troops work is that they take a charge, whilst their detachment counter-charges the enemy in the flank. So the detachment gets to attack but the main unit will attacked before they get a chance.

As Kalec says, swordsmen all the way for the main units. Halberdiers don’t have enough attacks and die too easily for the +1 S to matter. Spearmen don’t have the strength for the extra attacks to matter. Swordsmen are good because they have Ws 4 (so other Ws 4 troops hit them on 4+ rather than 3+) and have a 4+ save. Don’t expect them to ever do any wounds, they just need to try and survive.

Free company are the best detachments in my opinion, though thoughts vary. As they get to strike before the charging enemy when counter charging, the 10 A a 5 wide unit gives you means you have a decent chance of doing a wound. +1 S from halbediers might be ok as well, I’m sure there’s some maths you could do to work out what’s better. Alternatively more swordsmen can go in just to try and not take wounds whilst knocking out the enemy ranks.

Crazy Harborc
24-10-2008, 00:37
I have had many successes using parent units of 25 spears. Two 10 each detachments, one of crossbows (or handguns), one of swordsmen. The way the special detachment rules work for shooter detachments is a big plus.

IF.....if you can avoid having a detachment of free company shot at by opponents, they can be a tough nut to crack in HtH. I like it when opponents pushing Empire armies use free company detachments. They make great bulls eye units/detachments for whatever shooters my army has.;)

Lord 0
24-10-2008, 03:59
I think Kalec has the best idea for the way forward: 10-15 real at the front, proxies for the back. I will explore the rest of his ideas and Morph and Crazy Harborc's also.

Many thanks for your advice.