PDA

View Full Version : who will eventually win the war

spartainubzy
23-10-2008, 02:28
what race do you favour to win the intergalacitic war

Creeping Dementia
23-10-2008, 02:34
Honestly, no one will ever win, cause then the game would suck.

Just from what I've read though and on the large scale, probably Nids. Tau could have a chance too if they don't get wiped out before their tech advances to the point of being really unstopable. Just my 2 cents though.

spartainubzy
23-10-2008, 02:37
no it wont end but if it did id also say the tyranids or possibly chaos if they all made an deal and not break it this time

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 02:45
Depends on what you mean by 'end' do you mean a victory of one race and the annihilation of all others? because most races would lose even in victory, if you mean win with there goals acomplished? then chaos...because they have only one goal of making chaos...which would suck for them if they were wiped out...but this is a circle as no one will ultimatley win for many, many reasons. Let the circle discussion begin! ;).

spartainubzy
23-10-2008, 02:48
Depends on what you mean by 'end' do you mean a victory of one race and the annihilation of all others? because most races would lose even in victory, if you mean win with there goals acomplished? then chaos...because they have only one goal of making chaos...which would suck for them if they were wiped out...but this is a circle as no one will ultimatley win for many, many reasons. Let the circle discussion begin! ;).

well pretty much if it could end how would it all the fighting who would end it

Hicks
23-10-2008, 02:57
Humanity. I can see it, the Emperor reawakens and rallies the whole Imperium under his banner, technology starts to devellop again, everyone turns into a possession proof psyker, the 2 lost legions reappear, the Primarchs come back or ressucitate and turns out there are 10,000,000 Grey Knights.

Savior117
23-10-2008, 02:59
No one would win. The timeline is frozen.

Obligatory comments out of the way, the Imperium would be the loser, no matter who "won." It is too fractured to sustain an assault from multiple fronts for an extended period of time, plus Necrons coming from Tomb Worlds and going at Mars, and renegades popping up on any planet that the influence of the dark gods reached.

But what do you mean by "win" ? Kill everyone else off? If that occurs, the Necrons win and can go back to bed, the Orcs can only fight each other, the Tau don't get to subjugate...er... negotiate with other races, 'Nids need to go elsewhere for food, etc.

Mulrak
23-10-2008, 03:07
If anyone would 'win' I would say Orks. No matter what you do they will always repopulate. You can not destroy this species. You think you rid them off a planet...."Oh look daddy, so strange fungus is growing on our crops." Two months later their house is is burning and they family is hanging from the trees.

WAAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Mulrak,
Warboss of the Black Boot Clan

FredLOMD
23-10-2008, 03:11
I would say Necrons or Nids. Nids are huge in number and keep popping up and causing trouble. Plus they have this whole "we're only seeing the small pieces of a much larger whole" thing going on.

Necrons, because their technology is advanced enough that they don't need the Warp. They are apparently working on finding a way to shut off the warp from the material world to avoid chaos killing off their cattle again. If they do that the imperium all but collapses and traveling long distances takes forever for everyone else. So they're free to pick everyone off world by world. Tau might be a bit of a problem but if Necrons fight Tau in the fluff like they do on the table then Necrons have nothing to worry about.

Overt_Spy
23-10-2008, 03:41
Teh 'nids. Taken from the 5th edition rulebook "Behind the Hive Fleets lie the barren husks of a dozen galaxies already consumed." -Pg 166

Nids have succeeded in wiping out 12 galaxies already. I'm voting for the candidate with the most foreign galaxy experience. Have any of the other races wiped out a galaxy before? Let alone 12? Not only that, they funk with the warp, and anyone who tries to funk with the hive mind ends up with a bad case of head explosion syndrome (or HES), save for that BS Ultramarine librarian. (I think he just lied about it to impress people at an ultramarine cocktail party)

Firstborn
23-10-2008, 03:48
In the far future of the 42nd millenium, there is only Ork.

Dranthar
23-10-2008, 04:00
Tyranids. As Overt_Spy said, they're the only race with foreign-galaxy experience, and their sheer scale should be well beyond what the Milky Way could muster.

Tau? Sorry, not a chance.

Eldar and Dark Eldar have already lost, no question there.

Orks are like cockroaches, but Tyranids easilly out-cockroach them.

Necrons can and probably will survive the Tyranid Scourging, but nothing indicates that they've even thought outside their own galaxy. So at best they'll sit on their desert planets, eat some suns after the nids have moved on and live happily ever after while the nids claim another few galaxies.

At best, humanity could fall to Chaos and utilise it's infinite warp-fueled power to beat down on the tyranids. Assuming the Nids can't incorporate the pariah gene (it seems counter-productive to how the hive-mind works, IMO), then humanity/chaos might stand a chance of at least surviving.

Of course, when it comes down to it the Tyranids have allready won the intergalactic war. They've claimed at least a dozen galaxies, whereas the rest of the races have yet to conquer their own.

==Me==
23-10-2008, 04:06
The army I play, obviously.

Lisiecki
23-10-2008, 04:15

The Slann.

Zagstruk
23-10-2008, 04:16
The necrons, because they simply have the best space fleet and that's what it boils down to.

"I have 10,000,000 men, 30,000 pieces of Armor, and a Titan Legion!"
"Really, I have an Imperial cruiser, care to play whack-a-mole?"

(yes I realize that a titan legion could probably take out a Space Vessel, but you see what I mean)

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-10-2008, 04:29
In the background as it stands, by virtue of being the only race with an IWIN button that trumps all others?

Nids. Endless swarms of damn Alien/Bug clones. Necrons are getting their ZOMGAWESOME toned down a bit, everyone else has a weakness, but Nids don't.

And I think it's great. *big fake-as-hell-grin* :rolleyes:

zerachiel
23-10-2008, 04:34
Well, I'd just like to look at some of the contenders... And how they cannot "win". Granted, they can achieve their objective, but not the traditional way of "total victory" that we associated with "win".

Not Eldar: their one hope for salvation lies in their God of Death waking up to punch Slaanesh in the face until he/she/it dies. That future requires the death of every Eldar ever, so they're kind of stuck on that front.

Not Slaanesh/Khorne/Tzeentch/Nurgle: The four of them can't win only because their ideals seem completely against the notion of ever stopping (winning). Khorne wants blood and murder (which will not happen if he's ultimately victories: ie. killed everything that bleeds and has a skull), which doesn't come in total victory. Tzeentch wants change, and total victory being very bad for random change. Slaanesh is fated to be beaten up by Ynngead (I think?) the dead Eldar guy/god, so he's out. Even Nurgle will have nothing to unleash his plagues upon if he killed everything. So, sterilizing the universe is not to any of the Chaos powers' interests. It's also said that should the Emperor die, Chaos will somehow lose real bad (not sure where, admittedly), so they can't destroy all the Imperium (it's also the place they're getting most of their power from).

Necrons: Scour universe clean, C'Tan go hungry, revert to eating stars. All matter eventually gone, C'Tan starve to death. Bad end :(. The C'Tan left some organisms alive after their last scouring for a reason, and thus ultimate victory is undesirable for the Necrons, as they always need to leave some food out to grow for the C'Tan.

Imperium: According to every piece of fluff ever (except for the Imperial Guard Infantryman Uplifting Manual, I suppose), the Imperium is being pounded bad, everywhere. The chances of them winning is minimal, and even should the Emperor gets off his Throne one day and decide to go crusading, the Imperium no longer has the Space Marine Legions nor the Primarchs, and the Emperor cannot quite split himself just yet.

Dark Eldar: They never were a force of the galaxy beyond a bunch of raiders. I don't think they can even match the Tau Empire for number. Ultimate victory, in the unlikely event, will just result a giant orgy- and then nothing left to kill. Nothing left to kill = nothing to offer to Slaanesh to stop him/her/it from eating their souls. Uh oh. (Ynngead in this case won't be able to take on Slaanesh, as the Dark Eldar had to offer all them Eldar soulz to Slaanesh to keep themselves alive).

Orks: These guys actually do stand a fair chance of winning, and the only possible races that can stop them are: Tyranids, Necrons, Eldar, and Tau. Of all of them, Necrons cannot achieve ultimate victory without starving the C'Tan, so they won't kill all the Orks, the Tyranid/Ork face-off depends on who gets the upper hand early- as each battle the Tyranids win, they get more biomass, but each one the Orks win, they deny all the biomass Tyranids expended on the planet, and get super-huge Orks. It's a momentum war. The Eldar and the Tau are the only races with possibly advancing technology, so if they live long enough, perhaps they can reach Old Ones level of biotechnology and just pesticide the Orks to death.

Tyranids: While there's possibly loads of them in other galaxies, the Hive Fleets are currently resorting to Hit and Run tactics. The fact that they have to resort to such tactics means they don't have the capability to steamroll the rest of the races, just yet. Ultimate victory is unachievable only because Tyranids do not have a way of killing the Chaos gods, and do not engage the Necrons.

Tau: Might actually win, believe it or not. Their technological advancement is moving at lightspeed compared to pretty much every other race in the galaxy. If people ignore them long enough, they might have all the tech required to do over-the-top crazy things. Too bad they're actively attracting attention by expanding instead of playing the teching game.

My dollar and a half.

devik
23-10-2008, 04:38
Orks. Because they were designed to adapt and survive moreso than any other race (even 'nids, though that's debatable).

I voted Humanity, though, because if GW wrote an official "winner" it would certainly be humanity just like in ever other boring novel in which humanity may not be the best but they're humans anyways so of course they're going to win just by virtue of being human. Blah.

Imperialis_Dominatus
23-10-2008, 04:40
Tau? No amount of plot armor, let's-just-be-friends syndrome, or Mary Sue technology can disguise the fact that they're a dust speck in a galaxy in which the vast majority are quite in favor of slaughtering them all, as soon as they get done slaughtering the more important factions. I don't see them winning.

devik
23-10-2008, 04:51
Tau? No amount of plot armor, let's-just-be-friends syndrome, or Mary Sue technology can disguise the fact that they're a dust speck in a galaxy in which the vast majority are quite in favor of slaughtering them all, as soon as they get done slaughtering the more important factions. I don't see them winning.

But they just want to be friends with everyone and they have better technology and the imperium sucks because it's the year 40,000 and why don't they have technology and the tau are way better because they're cooler and their crisis suits are really neat because i like anime in closing tau are awesome.

I think that pretty much sums up the only argument as to why Tau might win. And it's not a very good one.

zerachiel
23-10-2008, 04:52

The T'au have an anime basis, and as everyone who watched anime knows- plot armour is impenetrable, unless a scar on the main character looks cool. :p

In all seriousness, though, no one really touched the T'au much. Their sector of space is relatively peaceful, and the only immediate opponent is the Imperium, who really can't afford to pay attention to them yet.

It's precisely because the other factions are so formidable that the T'au are left alone- everyone else is off doing a Mexican Stand-off of sorts, fighting each other in an endless meat grinder, while the T'au do not much, except annex Imperial worlds, and shoot/get killed by Orks.

They've been around for... 3000 Years, I think (don't have Codex)? And they've already developed weaponry on par with the Imperium? If they sit down and start working on things, its possible they're at least be a contender.

Ork technology is genetic, which means that Orks may need no training, but it also means they do not possess new knowledge unless there's mutation. Imperial technology is going nowhere. Eldar tech seems to also be at a stall, while the Dark Eldar are too busy being smug, backstabbing each other, and inventing new ways to stab people to properly do R&D. The Necrons, as far as I know, have no development what-so-ever either: they just start ahead.

The only other race that is constantly improving is Tyranids via their hyper-evolution, but their evolution is a reactive mechanism mainly seen to be used to counteract other races' innovations, which means that they're always happening one step behind. If the T'au/Eldar/(and God forbid) Imperium manage to produce something so powerful the Tyranid cannot bounce back from it, their hyper-adaptability is worthless. If Tyranid evolution/adaptability occurs similarly to real-life biological adaptation, then there are certain things that cells are not programmed to be able to adapt to, period. They can't build immunity to certain substances.

Of course, I doubt the T'au will live long enough to do any of the above, unless their plot armour holds out, and Shadowsun keeps doing her patented "conducting perfect raids that allow T'au fleets to destroy the splinter fleet without a casualty"tm maneuver.

Da Boyzz
23-10-2008, 05:24
I think Humanity has no chance.

I voted Tyranids... But I do think it would be a toss up between Orks, Nids and Necrons.

these are the only races that actually cannot be stopped... Orks will keep spawning on at least some planet in the galaxy, Necrons don't die (or do they?) and Nids will continue to be made by their big leviathans.

sigur
23-10-2008, 05:35
This poll has been done a thousand times, most of the time by new users and it never ended up good. Mostly it either vanished or resulted in many useless threads.

The whole point to 40k is that there will be no end to the constant state of war, any speculations are useless, the background indicated that most probably chaos or Tyranids will "win" (to define this is a wholly different debate), in the end it doesn't matter in the slightest. The basic idea behind 40k is that the Imperium will lose and this is the only important thing because it's the reason for the doomsday attitude to it all. Would be pretty darned depressing if this oversubscribed version of totalitarian, fascist regime could prevail in the end.

FashaTheDog
23-10-2008, 05:43
Well Tzeentch seems to have won for now since all he wants is change while Nurgle may one day be the ultimate victor since his whole desire is that everything must die (including the Warp and himself) so when the universe finally gets to old and dies, and the warp finally vanishes, he'll be able to claim a victory moments before he ceases to exist. Granted, if the universe were to be recreated through another big bang or something afterwards that would just be spiteful to Nurgle and kudos to Tzeentch.

Although I think I read Mat Ward was put in charge of moving the 40K story line on and he said something like the Ultramarines will be the final victor and the empire of Ultramar will last eternally as a paradise when Calgar slays Khorne in single combat leading unarmed peasants into the Eye of Terror, taking no casualties, and Tigurius destroys Tzeentch by out smarting him and Guilliman is fully healed and after killing Slaanesh and Nurgle with a single swip of his sword cleanses the Warp with Cassius' combi-flamer while the old chaplain kills every Tyranid and the Hive Mind in one epic battle and the Orks, Tau, and Eldar fall to Sicarius all at the same time.

Juggernaut246
23-10-2008, 06:04
Noone will ever win, victory for anyone is to optimistic for 40k :P

iaguz
23-10-2008, 06:08
What, no Squats?

FashaTheDog
23-10-2008, 06:10
When you leave the party early you become ineligble for the door prize, iaguz.

Lord Solar Plexus
23-10-2008, 06:35
War has no winner.

With that out of the way, many of the races have some potential, although Tau is too small a realm to meaningfully threaten the whole galaxy.

Nids have succeeded in wiping out 12 galaxies already.

Propaganda! How would anyone know? Did the Nids tell them? Also, they didn't need to fight His Majesty's Most Glorious Imperial Guard (aka Heinz the Hellhound) in any of those foreign backwaters. 'tis a different story this time around! :)

If you skip the demagogues' interjections that are so blatantly made-up and biased and look at it objectively, you will see that there's no-one that cannot be crushed under the treads of our tanks or the boots of our soldiers.

:)

Warforger
23-10-2008, 06:38
Yup Chaos Space Marines will only live for so long, sure there are new ones, but there are still very limited as the Loyalist chapters gain more members then heretics turn.

Triggerdog
23-10-2008, 06:50
I voted for Humanity because as we learned in Kingdom of Heaven:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k97ApJiJD9c

GOD WILLS IT
and when God/ The Emperor wills something, it gets done one way or another.

Metaphorazine
23-10-2008, 09:40
I seem to recall a bit of fluff stating that when the Imperium was sending out probes into the wider universe, that no matter how powerful the sensors used, or what directions they were aimed, all the signals that came back were orkoid. Which suggests to me that Orks have already won just about everywhere.

Only 3 races stand a chance in a perpetual war kind of way, being Orks, Nids and Crons. Nids and Orks because you just can't get rid of them, and Crons cause they keep self-repairing. But from my take on the Cron fluff, they cant expand beyond their current numbers, as the race from which they were created is dead dead dead. Eventually entropy will get them.

Nids and Orks can keep expanding to the limit of the available energy/biomass in any given location. (The Orks bash things, the Squigs eat the bashed things, the Orks eat the squigs.) They're also more or less entropy-proof.

While writing this, I'm picturing in my head a system where both Orks and Nids have been scrapping for a few millennia. You'd end up with bio-constructs that would put Trygons and Heirophants to shame, and Mega-Great-Gargants with added ZOMG that have been repaired and added to, wrecked, and patched up for the lifetime of the entire conflict. And the average boy who survived for any length of time could walk up to Ghazgkhull and call him a runty grot. :D

Lord Solar Plexus
23-10-2008, 10:38
This poll has been done a thousand times, most of the time by new users and it never ended up good. Mostly it either vanished or resulted in many useless threads.

This is general discussion, so what do you expect? It's useless to tell others that what they're doing is useless. Just skip these threads.

Doomseer
23-10-2008, 10:42
I think Orks and Tyranids would put up a good fight until the end, but I would have to go with Necrons!

parus_ater
23-10-2008, 10:42
I'm saying Humanity since Space Marine players outnumber all other players 8:1:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Unclejo
23-10-2008, 10:52
I seem to recall a bit of fluff stating that when the Imperium was sending out probes into the wider universe, that no matter how powerful the sensors used, or what directions they were aimed, all the signals that came back were orkoid. Which suggests to me that Orks have already won just about everywhere.

Which I always found kind of silly, because if every direction contains Orks, what about the part that the 'nids are coming from? Maybe, as someones quote on here said, Orks are the pinnacle of evolution and when the 'nids eat enough babies they turn green and start waaaghing?

You should never count the Imperium out. At the moment they are not utilising as much of theyre manpower pool as you would think. The Imperial Guard are recruited from the best of a planets PDF, and the PDF are conscripted from the planets population. We do not know in what quantity they are conscripted. But take a rl example, Paraguay fought Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay for six years with odds of 30:1. Almost every male from 12 to 60 fought in the Paraguayan army; the country lost 56% of its total population and 80% of its men of military age.

Can you imagine if an Imperium of a million worlds was to start conscription of that magnitude? If you could handle that scale of logistics, who could stand against even a single hiveworld?

FashaTheDog
23-10-2008, 11:02
There's a simple explanation, the Orks are in your probes, stealing your signals.

Tokamak
23-10-2008, 11:39
The Inquisition! Nobody expects them!

Metaphorazine
23-10-2008, 11:42
There's a simple explanation, the Orks are in your probes, stealing your signals.

Yet another reason they will eventually triumph, they have at least 90% more signals than any other race!

Ork_Warboss
23-10-2008, 11:42
Lol @ Tyranids/Orks.

Chaos will win.

Eryx_UK
23-10-2008, 12:25

My money is on the Tyranids. As long as there are planets to consume, the hive has an unlimited biomass to produce an unlimited number of troops all of whom are adapted/evolved to deal with the threats present in front of the Hive.

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 12:31
I will in fact say that whichever army sold the most will eventualy win...its a matter of numbers...

Guess who that would be?

Rombo Baak
23-10-2008, 12:58
Orks!

1st.- The bigger the figth the bigger the waaagh gets and more orks come to join in.

2nd.- Orks are even more efficient than tyranids at taking the most of the biomass. Tyranids eat the planet's current biomass and leave an empty husk, orks carry their own ecology with them, they can exploit the same planet for millennia with the neverending cicle of mushrooms>squigs>orks. They can produce many more orks out of a single planet than tyranids can dream.

3rd.- Ork teknology works because they believe in it. They can use anything, any scrap can turn into a gun, an asteroid can turn into a spaceship, squig juice can be used as fuel...

4th.- Orks grow bigger as they fight, if a full scale war began for galactic domination we would end seeing orks the size of carnifexes.

5th.- Orks got the best gods in the ooniverse, Gork and Mork kick a**!

Darth Ovious
23-10-2008, 12:58
I voted for the Humans.

Technically though, anybody can win. I know a lot of people are placing their vote on Tyranids or Orks because they seemingly can't be killed, but if anybody was to develop a biovirus or something to kill them off then thats that. As for Necrons they already be dead but if you blast their metal bodies hard enough then surely they would be impossible to mend.

To be honest I think it all depends on what happens in the future, things like technological advances and taking advantages of enemy weakpoints.

Bunnahabhain
23-10-2008, 13:34
I'd guess at humanity, due to plot armour. Possibly with a re-awakening of the Emperor, or similar renaissance, and so co-opting the Tau or Eldar- races capapable of long term planning, and it is concievable that they would help humanity to help themselves.

Imperial resources + Better leadership + Lack of medievial dogma + Advanced Alien Tech + lack of convlick with either Tau or Eldar = Ultra powerful Imperium.

On a side note. Nids cannot have eated 12 galaxies. They cannot have even eaten one. necrons can, but the nids can't.

If you leave stars behind you, then stars will reach the end of their life, go Nova, create dust clouds, and these collapse to create new planetry systems, with new light elements ( C, N, O etc), which may or may not become biologically active.

Start of dust cloud collapse to formation of planet with a solid surface, and probably liquid water appears to be a few tens on millions of years in the case of the Solar system, and we have no reason to think this is not typical. I may heave really disliked my recent geology module on very early earth history, but I learnt from it....

the1stpip
23-10-2008, 13:38
Ho hum, another who would win post.

Chaos would win, cos Daemons are warp spawned, nids couldnt eat them and you cant actually kill them, only banish.

Nero
23-10-2008, 13:58
Chaos will win, cuz Chaoses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we get reinkarnated by dem Chaos Gods so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!

Er, nothing will win. Seriously. The Chaos Gods rely on mankind to sustain them, I'll bet they're perfectly fine with the status-quo and aren't playing to 'win' (I'm guessing Abaddon never got the memo...). If something like the Tyranids or the Necrons tried to wipe out all life, you can bet the Chaos gods would be a bit more pro-active in the Imperium's defense, since without conscious thought and emotions the Chaos Gods cease to be.

Warp storm > Hive fleet, if I were a betting man.

23-10-2008, 14:05
well acording to eldar mythology no-one will win because of the rhana dandra - the final battle- this will lead to the extinction of everything (inc. the warp and materieal) it also states that eldar and chaos will be there. humanity also say somthin along the same line exept imperialist insted the tau have the mon'tau. so humanity, Eldar, tau and chaos but ii'm not sure about any others

Bergioyn
23-10-2008, 15:05
Humanity!
To even think otherwise would be heresy!

One day, our glorious Emperor will be reawakened and he shall lead humanity's armies through countless victories to purge the galaxy of xenos and traitor. Guilliman will wake up, his brothers will return, and those already fallen will be remade from the Emperors divine will and flesh. Legions of Space Marines and untold billions of imperial guard along with the Imperial navy and the titans of Adeptus Mechanicus will reconquer the galaxy in the name of immortal god-Emperor of mankind. In the mankinds darkest hour the divine Emperor will cast away his shackels and rise from his Golden Throne to lead the mankind like a shining star. Under his inspiring leadership, how could humanity fall?

Redrivertears
23-10-2008, 15:55
What a silly question, Chaos has already won, will never win, is winning and is losing the chance to win, all at the same time!

:)

-Redrivertears-

TomsDad
23-10-2008, 16:12
:D

If that's from RT I thought it was probes being sent out beyond the range of the imperium i.e the rest of the (mainly eastern IIRC) galaxy, not other galaxies. I always wondered how did these probes travel, as wouldn't they need at least a navagator to travel in the warp i.e faster than light?

Am I right in thinking that in the fluff the size of the Imperium has increased over the various editions to encompass most of the galaxy other than the Ghoul stars in the galactic north east

Anyway I voted Nids, as at the moment fluffwise they seem to be unstopable. Obviously subsequent retcons and new stuff may change this.

Uber Scroober
23-10-2008, 16:24
Humanity!
To even think otherwise would be heresy!

One day, our glorious Emperor will be reawakened and he shall lead humanity's armies through countless victories to purge the galaxy of xenos and traitor. Guilliman will wake up, his brothers will return, and those already fallen will be remade from the Emperors divine will and flesh. Legions of Space Marines and untold billions of imperial guard along with the Imperial navy and the titans of Adeptus Mechanicus will reconquer the galaxy in the name of immortal god-Emperor of mankind. In the mankinds darkest hour the divine Emperor will cast away his shackels and rise from his Golden Throne to lead the mankind like a shining star. Under his inspiring leadership, how could humanity fall?

^ the future of the galaxy!

For the Imperium!! For the Emperor!!

Lordsaradain
23-10-2008, 16:32
There is no escape from chaos.

Hawkmoon
23-10-2008, 16:40
Nids....

all shall be consumed...

Soupcat
23-10-2008, 16:56
Id say either crons, nids or orks.
Necrons curretly have the most advanced tech in the universe and it is only improving (see necrons 2.0 aka pariahs)
Nids depending on how fast they move the main force into this universe
Orks depending on how big a whaaaaaag they can get

Tau might be able to depending on how safe there tech improvements are aka they are just starting to deal with vary risky type tech in the form of the warp and AI, the same sort of stuff I recall that led to the dark age of technoligy what with the rouge AI and omg my wrench has grown feet and is trying to eat me.

Mankind stands a chance but it all depends if they can find a leader to march behind (aka the emperor so some other valiant leader) as they have been just more or less holding the line since the heresy.

Overall though my money is on the crons as they have a much easier "win" scenario what with just subjegating everyone again instead of kill em all.

HsojVvad
23-10-2008, 17:04
I don't think it will be Tyranids. At the end just before the 'Nids are about to win there will be some sorry story of the Warp consumed all the 'Nids or someone was able to control the hive mind and the 'Nids consumed itself or went dormant or left the galaxy.

CHOOBER SNIPES
23-10-2008, 17:28
^ the future of the galaxy!

For the Imperium!! For the Emperor!!

MAY THE POWER OF THE EMPEROR SHINE UPON US AND LEAD US TO VICTORY AGAINST THE TRAITOROUS SCUM UNDER THE FALSE EMPEROR!! FOR ABBADON!!!

23-10-2008, 17:32
as i said before i think no one will win every one will die....none will survive....all will perish.....

forbin
23-10-2008, 17:35
I voted for the wild card - GW !

nids will not win - why ? energy they consume biomas and have traveled across to our galaxy and are hungry. they have lost mass doing that - how much - who knows . they need lots of planet to eat to make up and if prevented they will die out

orks could because they make better use of the planets they take over

tau are too little tto late

chaos needs humans so winning is the status quo

marines - could if we had more

imperial has the chance if they fully mobilised

eldar/dark eldar are already failed in the fluff - nuff said.

necrons - again they need food - hence humans/orks , hmm even tyranids ?

Forbin

Marus
23-10-2008, 18:01
I'm not actually voting for who will "win". However, I do have an issue that I'm surprised has not been raised: Bio-chem warfare. I do realise that Chaos forces of Nurgle and the Tyranids both employ these in certain ways, but I'm thinking of engineered viruses that target specific species. Normally I'd say that humanity is mostly likely to develop such a weapon, however the Imperium's technological advancement seems to be nearly non-existent and it would likely be heretical. But, if a force did develop such a weapon it would have a significant advantage for a time.

I know that the Tyranids could evolve past this but, as has been mentioned, their changes are almost solely reactionary and such weapons used against the 'Nids could put a significant dent in their invasion forces. The same can go for just about any other faction. (Except Nurgle's forces as they'd either be immune or it would make them stronger.)

Someone mentioned that Chaos demons might win by virtue of being inedible and can't really die, only banished. But how do the demons arrive on this material plane? I was under the impression that they had to be summoned or enter through gates opened from this side. I'm probably wrong as I don't pay much attention to the demons.

just a penny

ex-green
23-10-2008, 18:55
Orks all the way, if they die the release spores and more orks come back.
How can they not win when killing them means more come back

FashaTheDog
23-10-2008, 19:00
Orks all the way, if they die the release spores and more orks come back.
How can they not win when killing them means more come back

Destroy the planet/eat the spores.

the1stpip
23-10-2008, 19:25
The Necrons will go into dormancy again before they win, so it will never be them.

Beastlord Karankawa
23-10-2008, 19:35
Chaos will win as long as there are beings that have support the chaotic traits. Chaos has all ready won the "realm of chaos" - a bastion of unlimited power and resouces.

Chainaxe07
23-10-2008, 19:40
It surprise me so many choose the 'nids.
I would expected humanity to triumph, and both chaos and orks to get much more votes than they actually had so far...
So why the nids?
And what about the Necrons?
Basically they cannot be absorbed by the 'nids at all, like in all likelyhood most chaos (and all demons).

philbrad2
23-10-2008, 19:43
Nah Nids will eat everything ... In the grim darkness of the far future there is only ... lunch!

PhilB
:chrome:

Cheesolith
23-10-2008, 21:05
Nids have their IWIN button in the form of the main hive fleet arriving.

After they eat everything, they will just move on and all that remains will be a select few holdouts on small planets that don't warrant an attack for the ammount of biomass there and the necron tombs will be pretty much be left unscathed. Leaving the necrons as the only survivors in this galaxy.

Nids win, Toasters survive, everybody else looses and marines will find a new franchise to take over.

Madfool2
23-10-2008, 21:11
Nobody.

Because war.....war never changes....

Alrighty then?
23-10-2008, 21:12
ORKS. Orks can't be destroyed, once they land on a planet they are are there forever!

Ghudra
23-10-2008, 21:44

A better question might be "Who do you think will be the next race to lose the Intergalactic War?".

Squats, Genestealer Hybrids, Space Zoats, Space Slann, Jokaero, & Beastmen all managed to "lose".

As for the "winner", my vote is with The Hyper-Violent Parcheesi (http://boardgames.about.com/b/2003/07/08/deadly-parcheesi-game.htm)... :cheese:

Darth Ovious
23-10-2008, 21:56
ORKS. Orks can't be destroyed, once they land on a planet they are are there forever!

I know that Orks give out spores when they die but don't the Imperium burn all the dead corpses and stuff afterwards to prevent this. I don't know, I'm just asking.

ncc_drkstar
23-10-2008, 22:10
Lets clear some stuff up here. When we're talking about winning, I assume that we're not talking about an infinite timeline, because along an infinite timeline no one wins. Let me provide an example: lets say Space Marines win. They conquer everyone else, and have dominance over the universe. Maybe they even wipe everyone else out. But, along an infinite timeline, new races will evolve, old races pop up, etc. So then Space Marines dont' win.

So, to be clear: we're talking about "winning" in terms of conquering/destroying all the other races. What happens after a race has "won" is not relevant, ok?

Naturally, it comes down to the Necrons or 'Nids, both super races from other galaxies.

Necrons: Have an unkown number of tomb worlds, weapons not yet seen, and are the most advanced civilization. And they are developing new soldiers (Pariahs anyone?), so they're numbers can increase. Did I mention they are led by gods, 2 of whom have yet to be seen?

Tyranids: Untold numbers, extent of dominion is uknown. There just doesn't seem like theres any force with the power to defeat them, especially as that would involve leaving the current galaxy.

The Eldar and Dark Eldar are remnants and not growing. Orks may never be wiped out (can you wipe out cockroaches?), but they lack the consistend leadership necessary to conquer the galaxy. If they become successful, they'll just split off and do their own thing. The Tau, while somewhat unkown, are still too small, and their expansion isn't as agressive as some other species (eg. Tyranids). I have trouble seeing Chaos winning - they're too fractured, suffer a numbers problems, and have trouble entering from the warp. It just seems like a concerted effort can't come from that direction. As for the Imperium... they're probably ****ed. Unless the Emperor pulls a miraculous recovery. Maybe they could turn it into a soap opera.

Seperate question though. Does the 40k universe actually progress? I haven't been in the game long enough, but do the developers actually move hte universe forward through codexes and books?

SonofUltramar
23-10-2008, 22:21
Tyranids win as they devour humanity, Eldar, Tau, Orks and Chaos mortals leaving nobody left to worship the Chaos Gods leaving them powerless on the mortal plane of existance. The only fly in the ointment are the Necrons who can outfight the Nids in space or then again maybe just hide until they go past then re-seed the galaxy with life forms for the C'tan to feed on?

Ork_Warboss
23-10-2008, 22:25
Tyranids may be able to kill some races, but they couldn't kill Chaos or Orks.

Chaos- Daemons..chaos gods....enough said.

Orks- I don't think them tyranids couldn't kill all those boyz fast enough. They can't spawn a tyranid every second...can they?

HsojVvad
23-10-2008, 23:00
Now are we Talking Fluff wise or GW rules wise now?

Znail
23-10-2008, 23:19
I think GW will be the winners :angel:

Waywatcher-
23-10-2008, 23:31
well, i think Necrons,

Because i think thell just enslave most of humanity, and there leaders are gods, and there unstoppable machines pratically,

and from there i think the nids would face a wall of metal, and fail.

Plus i think they could take the most punches, and i think if they blitzed a planet they could knock enemys down one by one.

'The Necrons will go into dormancy again before they win, so it will never be them.' Why?

Waywatcher

Ganymene
23-10-2008, 23:42
Orks can't be destroyed, once they land on a planet they are are there forever!

Until the Tyranids come and devour the planet.

And when the emperor comes back, they will eat him too. :p

cailus
24-10-2008, 02:12
Don't you people get it?

The Ultramarines have already winned the universe. The latest codex says so.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-10-2008, 07:21
But they just want to be friends with everyone and they have better technology and the imperium sucks because it's the year 40,000 and why don't they have technology and the tau are way better because they're cooler and their crisis suits are really neat because i like anime in closing tau are awesome.

I think that pretty much sums up the only argument as to why Tau might win. And it's not a very good one.

Lol.

Lets clear some stuff up here. When we're talking about winning, I assume that we're not talking about an infinite timeline, because along an infinite timeline no one wins.

Yep. The universe will stop expanding and start contracting. Then we all die as the walls literally start closing in.

Seperate question though. Does the 40k universe actually progress? I haven't been in the game long enough, but do the developers actually move hte universe forward through codexes and books?

Not really.

Don't you people get it?

The Ultramarines have already winned the universe. The latest codex says so.

Lol.

Darth Ovious
24-10-2008, 12:21
Someone was talking about the C'tan gods and how 2 of them have yet to be revealed.

Does the Omnisiah sound like he could be a C'tan god, anyone?

warflag
24-10-2008, 13:01
Teh 'nids. Taken from the 5th edition rulebook "Behind the Hive Fleets lie the barren husks of a dozen galaxies already consumed." -Pg 166

Nids have succeeded in wiping out 12 galaxies already. I'm voting for the candidate with the most foreign galaxy experience. Have any of the other races wiped out a galaxy before? Let alone 12? Not only that, they funk with the warp, and anyone who tries to funk with the hive mind ends up with a bad case of head explosion syndrome (or HES), save for that BS Ultramarine librarian. (I think he just lied about it to impress people at an ultramarine cocktail party)

QFT and win!

They come to eat us, and the rest of the two legged idiots.
They do have no objective like ruling the galaxy with their superior religion, politics, whatever. They just eat us :D

I see it like this: (may sound paradox on first glance, but let it work on you)

We are like ant tribes, making war for territory, supplies, a place to live in peace (or chaos).
Enter the ant-eater (nids). Acts on a different scale. Has no fear of the ants. Just consumes them.
This picture might have a flaw, because the ants cannot harm the ant-eater. But think of this: The Nids are so many, donīt have morals, do not care how many die. There is no mission objective, but to eat what is left in the aftermath. Then the treck travels on, next system, same procedure.
Their only objective is the survival of their race. And they will succeed.

Humanoid races can only loose, because they might loose their grounds, kingdoms, empires, might have to rebuild and start new. The chaos gods only catalyse the emotions of their followers, but where there is no follower, there is no emotions.

Orks, btw, canīt loose or win. They only exist to fight. For them itīs the art of the process, thereīs no goal to achieve.

And the Tau are like the japanese in WW II. A good start, but then...

My two cents

Cheers
Bart

Chainaxe07
24-10-2008, 13:16
Lots of unexpect 'nids fans on these boards!
Well, if we go by pure fluff i doubt the hive fleets could possibly physically enter the eye of terror, and even if they could there is no chanche that a "near" endless number of bugs could outmatch the REALLY endless tide of the demons that pollute the eye.
But, then again, they could not even reach Comorragh as well.
Now, is this their main concern? Probably not...i cant see them steamrolling over the orks, but, to be honest, it can only be a matter of time before the imperials find a definitive "cure" for the nid proble, the equivalent of a big can of DDT. You cant always cheat the cogboys and the magos biologis, no matter how fast you evolve.
Any thoughts?

warflag
24-10-2008, 13:47
Well, if we go by pure fluff i doubt the hive fleets could possibly physically enter the eye of terror, and even if they could there is no chanche that a "near" endless number of bugs could outmatch the REALLY endless tide of the demons that pollute the eye.
But, then again, they could not even reach Comorragh as well.
Now, is this their main concern? Probably not...i cant see them steamrolling over the orks, but, to be honest, it can only be a matter of time before the imperials find a definitive "cure" for the nid proble, the equivalent of a big can of DDT. You cant always cheat the cogboys and the magos biologis, no matter how fast you evolve.
Any thoughts?

Yep, it will backfire, just as DDT. That is my point however, these creatures would not care. Either way, we loose. (we means humanoid races) They kill us, or we kill ourselves by killing them. That which we fight for has no value for the bug. They are the roaches. Some will survive, eating the remains of our humble attempt to save ourselves.:skull:

Donīt know wether Iīm a fan, btw, just think the simple organism survives the war, as for them there is no war, and thus no way to loose it. As everybody else looses to some degree, logically they win. Thatīs from our perspective consequently, since they canīt win or loose anyway.

Or simpler: They stay at zero, everyone else goes minus.
Does that make sense to nybody else than me? :p

Cheers
Bart

FashaTheDog
24-10-2008, 14:11
What's to stop the Tyranids from entering the Eye of Terror? There is physical space there but the Warp has a major influence, such that even though there are physical laws, those laws are variable. There may be an issue with the Hive Mind and the organisms under its command as the Hive Mind casts a shadow over the raw Warp in the physical world, probably causing some degree of disruption to everything, including itself, or maybe not. If you said that you doubted it was possible for the Tyranids to consume a world in the Eye of Terror, I'd agree, especially if the planet suddenly grew a mouth and ate the Tyranid fleet.

Chainaxe07
24-10-2008, 14:12
Looks like i am the only one that does not think the humble 'nids will be the downfall of the Imperium.
Oh well, i suppose it is left for ~GW to decide, or rather likely it will never be decided.

Chainaxe07
24-10-2008, 14:14
If you said that you doubted it was possible for the Tyranids to consume a world in the Eye of Terror, I'd agree, especially if the planet suddenly grew a mouth and ate the Tyranid fleet.

Erm...yes, that was what i was saying. Brillantly put, thanks.

Imperialis_Dominatus
24-10-2008, 17:52

Not a fan. No. Not at all. Never.

I just know how to recognize ridiculously overpowered background.

If you said that you doubted it was possible for the Tyranids to consume a world in the Eye of Terror, I'd agree, especially if the planet suddenly grew a mouth and ate the Tyranid fleet.

My position as well.

parus_ater
24-10-2008, 21:56
Who really cares? This is just turning into a Fanboi arguathon now. Simply rediculous!

del-patch
24-10-2008, 22:09
I win.

now I have to talk to make up the boards demands. There we go.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 22:18
'Don't you people get it?

The Ultramarines have already winned the universe. The latest codex says so.'

HAHA, love it.

Come on, I think we all know there wont be a war that ends it all!

THEY WILL ALL MAKE UP AND BE FREINDS!

Waywatcher

parus_ater
24-10-2008, 22:19
And have man cuddles, of course!

Col. Tartleton
25-10-2008, 00:43
Regardless of who 'wins' the IG lose. I don't think dying in droves is ever going to be considered a win.

HsojVvad
25-10-2008, 01:14
I still think the Emperor has something to do with the Tyranids coming into the Milky Way Galaxy. Maybe that is why the 'Nids seem to be heading toward Earth. Maybe when the Emperor was born the 'Nids caught on his psychic signature and are coming to Him.

Maybe when he awakens he will get the 'Nids to leave or what ever. Maybe the Imperium will find a way to control the Hive Mind. But something will come, because GW will loose too much, since almost Half of 40K is Marines in one form or anthour. When there is a final winner, the 40K will be no more since GW will not be able to sell anything anymore then. Unless they do a Marvel and DC thing and the Warp resets everything and GW starts all over again.

DCLXVI
25-10-2008, 01:30
The nids will win through sheer weight of numbers. That and the fact that they don't leave anything alive when they've finished their meal, just barren rock, so nothing can come and bite them on the ****.

HsojVvad
25-10-2008, 01:39
We are told by the Imperium that nothing is left alive, but if you read more closley they have left things alive. There are some who were able to flee the Tyranids to tell the stories.

It could be =I= propaganda that says the Tyranids are the end of all things, so the Imperium can have a better strangle hold on it's people. They are more willing to do what they want. will happen

Brother Fenix
25-10-2008, 01:58
Eldar,

They will have some galactic secret that they will pull out at just the right time. They are already the underdog having been almost wiped out. Plus in the old rogue trader they were what I always thought of as the "Brits" of the 40K world, and being the GW is a British Co.

Tyranids are the red herring.

Khorne warrior
25-10-2008, 03:48
Wow, the eldar are actually rated pretty high even though they are dwindling. I actually believe that the eldar would be the first to be extinct, as there is a genereal consensus that they are dying out.

I think that orks will win the war, as they only care for battle, while all other races are preoccupied by other things (ie. humans following the word of the emperor, eldar trying to rebuild their shattered civilizations, Tau with their technology). Thus, while others are pre-occupied, the orks can put their full power into battle.

Sidstyler
25-10-2008, 04:06
Who really cares? This is just turning into a Fanboi arguathon now. Simply rediculous!

No, it isn't "just" turning into anything, it's always a fanboy arguathon. ALWAYS. Every thread, every time this gets brought up.

"I think it's teh Space Marinez cuz they're awesum lolz"

Replace "Space Marinez" with any other race in the game and you have everyone's argument.

sabre4190
25-10-2008, 05:56
Orks and tyranids seem like safe bets. The only way the imperium stands a chance would be if the Big E himself can back (but hey, this is a universe where Gods can just pop out nowhere). As for orks, not even the C'tan could get rid of them fast enough. Orks and tyranids are just so numerous, and would keep on growing in strength. Constant war makes stronger orks, and the nids just adapt.

But if youre looking for the ultimate 40k apocalypse story, check out Rise of the Tau on the black library forums. The guy tries to tie in every conceivable plot thread together, and its long. Really long. And its not even done.

Sidstyler
25-10-2008, 05:57
Eh, I've read a little bit of it, and I don't really like it that much...mostly just because I don't ever see the Tau "rising" at all. I like Tau, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fool, there's no way in thell they'd "win the war". :p

Grendrill
25-10-2008, 06:09
My vote goes to Chaos, they've survived 40,000 years (from WFB to 40k), therefore they must eventually kill most of the Fantasy armies. Well either that or waited until they died out.

Which is what they probably will do in the 40k Universe. I see when WH80k is released Chaos will probably still be around.

Firaxin
25-10-2008, 06:48
My vote goes to Chaos, they've survived 40,000 years (from WFB to 40k), therefore they must eventually kill most of the Fantasy armies. Well either that or waited until they died out.
Uh... They are two entirely seperate universes, despite the similarities.
:eyebrows:

Grendrill
25-10-2008, 07:20
Uh... They are two entirely seperate universes, despite the similarities.
:eyebrows:

Oh sorry, my bad. I thought 40k was set 40,000 years from the events of WFB.

Scuse my ignorance. :confused:

25-10-2008, 08:44
have people even considered that no-one will win and everything will die and be destroyed (inc. warp and material universe)

parus_ater
25-10-2008, 16:44
Eh, I've read a little bit of it, and I don't really like it that much...mostly just because I don't ever see the Tau "rising" at all. I like Tau, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a fool, there's no way in thell they'd "win the war". :p

Which is why I said it was becoming a "fanboi arguathon". :rolleyes:

Iron Manticore
25-10-2008, 17:18

Not to come across as overtly patriotic, but I think the British Empire could have said the same thing (dust speck) at some point about the North American colonies along the Atlantic coast. Or any Greek City-State opposing the Persian Empire. Or Cuba's continuing defiance of the United States. Or Taiwan's continuing defiance of China. I could name more...

Yes, as it has been said, the Imperial Navy could roll over and remove the Tau at anytime, but to do so would pull their forces away from keeping down other areas. But this can only go to a point. If the Tau and the Imperium were all there was, the Tau would eventually grow big enough that the Imperium could devote resources to stopping them and the Tau would need to have forces devoted to enforcing order behind their borders. But by then we would have a cold war only broken by the Tau's increasingly advanced technology.

sabre4190
25-10-2008, 17:23
The only reason you can see the tau coming into power is if they have a really powerful backer. They have, by far, the shadiest origins of any race in the 40k universe. So while the Tau would have to grow very quickly, very fast, if they have something extremely evil or powerful on their side, that is possible.

spartainubzy
26-10-2008, 05:28
unless tau act fast its quite likely that theyll lose

Imperialis_Dominatus
26-10-2008, 07:06
Not to come across as overtly patriotic, but I think the British Empire could have said the same thing (dust speck) at some point about the North American colonies along the Atlantic coast. Or any Greek City-State opposing the Persian Empire. Or Cuba's continuing defiance of the United States. Or Taiwan's continuing defiance of China. I could name more...

But first, Tau are a dust speck on a scale to which America/Cuba/Greek City-States can't even compare. Second... the measures to which the forces opposing these underdogs were willing to see put into practice similarly don't even compare to the Imperial ideal- total, complete obliteration, with the added bonus of torture and public burning of the few survivors, destruction of all trace of their society, expunging them from the records, etc. 300-esque dramatizations aside, I don't think many are truly willing to go that far. Some, but not many.

Shangrila
26-10-2008, 07:08
If i remember correctly on of the farseers said somthing about in the future there only being necrons and orcs.... I really wish i could findout where i read that. Perhaps one of the eldar codexs?

26-10-2008, 12:47
If i remember correctly on of the farseers said somthing about in the future there only being necrons and orcs.... I really wish i could findout where i read that. Perhaps one of the eldar codexs?

but there is other eldar fluff contradicting that.

Havock
26-10-2008, 14:02
Humanity, of course! To believe otherwise is heresy!

Lord General Laumnem
26-10-2008, 16:28
Orks.
I think the Orks have already "won", they want to fight - and look at all the fighting thats happening! :skull:

ankara halla
26-10-2008, 17:41
Oh sorry, my bad. I thought 40k was set 40,000 years from the events of WFB.

Scuse my ignorance. :confused:

Originally it was, but like most things, that has been re- and re-written ad infinitum by GW over the years.

nathanceulemans
26-10-2008, 19:47
There's three ways to answer this question:

1. GW decides to leave the 40k universe timeline stalled as it pretty much already is. No one wins. No one loses nor dies (not even the Tau, who are just plain pathetic in comparison to the rest of the races). 'Major campaigns' (such as the Eye of Terror, Armageddon) will take place, but no real change will take place.

2. GW decides to do something like they did with WHFB a couple years ago: a giant, global campaign (or was it US-only?) where the entire universe is at stake on a single campaign event timeline. (IIRC, Chaos won that, so the WHFB world is actually kaputt).

3. Personal opinion based purely on fluff and logic, as opposed to 'whatever GW decides'.

The answers are:

1. No one. Space Marines keep fighting clad in power armor, the Imperium will keep struggling to defend everything, Orks remain the unorganized rabble they've been the entire time (and occasionally, an event similar to the Armageddon campaign will take place, but that won't get them any closer to eating all dem 'oomies and other species), 'Nids keep avoiding the Tau and their progress towards Earth remains nihil, the Eldar will keep prancing around in their Craftworlds in the distant corners of the galaxy, the Dark Eldar might just become forgotten like the Squats unless GW decides otherwise, 'Crons will eventually be shot enough to stop and go back to bed, etc. etc... Yeah, you heard me, no one wins. The only ones who will ever lose will be the races that become discontinued due to lack of popularity. But even then, more races will probably be added to the game. Great, another sentient race to contest the throne.

2. Probably no one. Even if a specific race wins, the other races will never be entirely eradicated due to their respective fanbases. See answer 1.

3. Either Orks, Tyranids, or a combined Human/Eldar/Tau civilization...

a) The only things stopping Orks are the 'Nids and an eventual Ork-annihilating virus; they can respawn indefinitely unless eradicated COMPLETELY (and only a combined 'Humanoids-team' or 'Nids -they eat EVRYTHING and thus even the spores - could hope to do that). They can destroy everyone else if they concentrate on doing exactly that. And in the process, dey's gonna get bigga an' badda an' stronga an' smarta'!

b) 'Nids. Just because they're almost literally unstoppable and no one knows how many there are. The only way to destroy them is similar to the only way to eradicate Orks: some virus or a lot of fire. The more they gain ground, the bigger they get.

c) The humanoids. Not JUST the Imperium, not JUST the Tau, not JUST the Eldar. They would be forced to ally against the combined force of the Nids and the Orks, and Chaos would have to be driven back into the Warp. I read recently that the Thorians believe that in the death of the Emperor, a new leader would arise, magnitudes more powerful than the old one. This guy could convince the Eldar to put down their selfish arrogant ways to destroy evil forever. The Tau wouldn't need all that much convincing, they're a small empire and they can be faced with a choice of alliance or annihilation...

and as a trump card: the Orks reach a new level of intelligence and finally overcome their bloodthirst... they can then either destroy everyone else, ally with the humanoids, destroy the baddies then backstab the others or be good and stay good.

What's sure is that several races CAN'T win: Chaos (Humans dead means they really can't take on the Orks and Nids, plus they don't want the humans dead.); Dark Eldar (I don't consider them anything more than useless raiders) and Necrons (they got the guns, but their numbers will keep diminishing).
It's all entirely open to personal interpretation.

WhiteKnight
26-10-2008, 21:44
If the war had a clear winner, wouldn't new comers that heard about that army who won the war want to play that army just to say, "______ won the war though"

26-10-2008, 21:46
There's three ways to answer this question:

The answers are:

1. No one. Space Marines keep fighting clad in power armor, the Imperium will keep struggling to defend everything, Orks remain the unorganized rabble they've been the entire time (and occasionally, an event similar to the Armageddon campaign will take place, but that won't get them any closer to eating all dem 'oomies and other species), 'Nids keep avoiding the Tau and their progress towards Earth remains nihil, the Eldar will keep prancing around in their Craftworlds in the distant corners of the galaxy, the Dark Eldar might just become forgotten like the Squats unless GW decides otherwise, 'Crons will eventually be shot enough to stop and go back to bed, etc. etc... Yeah, you heard me, no one wins. The only ones who will ever lose will be the races that become discontinued due to lack of popularity. But even then, more races will probably be added to the game. Great, another sentient race to contest the throne.

thank you, somone who acknolodeges my theory even if you have different reasons :p

FashaTheDog
26-10-2008, 21:57
Most of us take that as fact but are excersing a "what if" and going with whom we believe the what if to be.

27-10-2008, 13:28
i was on about the fluff saying no-one will.

nathanceulemans
27-10-2008, 18:33
Most of us take that as fact but are excersing a "what if" and going with whom we believe the what if to be.

Yeah, despite the fact my answer was long, I also put up my own little 'what-if' future, I gave that 4 options as well:

a) Orks beat everyone as they unite under one banner, beat the 'Nids.
b) 'Nids eat everyone. THEY'RE COMING OUTTA THE WALLS!
c) Non-chaos humans unite with Tau and Eldar when a reborn Emperor rallies the 'good' factions, eradicate Orks and Nids, drive Chaos back into the Warp. I like that option most.
d) Orks get smart and lose their bloodlust (doubt it but yeah), join the humanoid 'good guys', beat up the Nids and Chaos... and then probably backstab on everyone else.

Oh and whatever happens, Dark Eldar won't win more than a couple more souls; Chaos won't be able to fight Orks nor Nids and Necrons will lose anyway.

And I don't see Eldar nor Tau win by themselves. The Imperium could win by itself if the Emperor snaps out of it.

I wonder if Orks will get 'better' as a collective species as they capture more worlds? Will they get smarter? Or just bigger and badder?

Lord General Laumnem
27-10-2008, 22:47
Orks don't need ta get smart.

"Dey just need da big gunz n da big choppaz n dey can crush nefing evan uva orkses!"

nooobie 69
27-10-2008, 23:06
I would say the eldar seeing as they have farseers that can see into the future and so avoide being wiped out. Also they have the webway so don't need the warp. If i was the eldar i would just get all the armies to fight each other sit it out then just killl the remaining army thats been severly weakend by the fighting.

so they would say to the orks for example if u want a big fight we'll get you as much fighting as you want which is ultimatley what the orks want. Make alegance with the empire and tau and just like i said sit all this fighting out

luchog
27-10-2008, 23:10
Malal. Without a doubt.

The entire universe is subject to entropy, order decaying into formless chaos. The laws of thermodynamics indicate that everything will eventually become just a haze of uniform background radiation, if it doesn't eventually disappear in the Big Crunch.

Malal is the chaos god of self-destruction and nothingness, even the lords of misrule must eventually succumb to the forces of entropy, and decay into the same formlessness as everything else.

alex03
28-10-2008, 08:11
Its the classic fantasy story. All looks hopeless and everything is about to end badly, then suddenly the hero characters return and lead whats left to ultimate, yet costly victory, ala like Aragorn in Lord of the rings. 40k seems set up just like this. At the end when chaos is advancing from the eye, the orks from the south, and the tyranids from the east, and are all closing in on earth, The Emporer will return to life, the primarchs that are missing will return, and lead whats left of humanity to final victory.

Nacartra
28-10-2008, 13:12
i am a humanity player i collect guard and space marines im hoping to start a grey knight and sister of battle army too but i think that humanity won't win the war theemperor is dying and humanity are losing ground every day but they are kicking and screaming every inch of the way. for every inch lost ten of the enemy would of fallen.

the best possible outcome will be the continued survival of a few space marine chapters and thier homeworlds and a few imperial worlds will be left standing like Cadia and mordia aswell as armogendon.ect.

sorry this was so long.

Darth Ovious
28-10-2008, 13:33
Its the classic fantasy story. All looks hopeless and everything is about to end badly, then suddenly the hero characters return and lead whats left to ultimate, yet costly victory, ala like Aragorn in Lord of the rings. 40k seems set up just like this. At the end when chaos is advancing from the eye, the orks from the south, and the tyranids from the east, and are all closing in on earth, The Emporer will return to life, the primarchs that are missing will return, and lead whats left of humanity to final victory.

I second this, cmon the ooomies.;)

Oh,plus I can see the film. Lord of 40k, return of the emperor.

Lord General Laumnem
28-10-2008, 13:54
lol, interesting idea.

Wern't they going to make a warhammer movie?

harrytheschmuck
28-10-2008, 14:17
Nids will win, every time they kill something it comes back as a nid, there are so many orks out there that once the nids strart feeding they will have that DNA to make more nids. the more choas people they eat the less people there will be to make the choas gods so they will grow weak. etc

GIKvack
29-10-2008, 17:44
For me it's up in the air between Tyranids, and Chaos.

Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Tau are all to small to have any chance of winning, the only reason there still around is the the big boys are to distracted with each other (or themselves) to end them.

The Necrons are of a limited supply, there arn't anymore of them being made. There race was turned into these machines, so there are no babies being created. Yes usually when one is "killed" they can be recreated, but slowly they would loose there numbers in ways that can't be recunstructed.

Humanity would eventually tear itself apart even if the other factions didn't even exist, the way they are heading they would kill off them selves, either through polution, war or self extermination.

Orks have the same problem, just not to different extremes. When they are loosing a planet they don't nuke it to dust, so the number or planets to live on stays the same. While humans lowly are loosing them by blowing them up or polluting them to much. Orks though won't win the currect war because there to fractured. If the Tyranid race attacks a planet they would take it, the orks don't reinforce each other to easily or quickly.

The question to me is how much of tyranid race is still "out there" somewhere. We don't know. All of the other races are limited by the space they occupy in this galaxy, they tyranids arn't... they may have already eaten one galaxy of food, and we are just seeing the very tip of the iceberg. but they may have also lost the war in another galaxy and we are seeing the dieing remnents of them... we don't know.

Chaos has the unique quality that it needs to currupt the present occupents of the universe to stay in it. Hance humanity can't win against it since they cause it to exist in out reality in the first place. So that leaves the Tyranids, since they are of one mind, which isn't even in this galaxy they can't be corrupted, there thoughts are pure (in the chaos sense) they need to eat, they take to pleasure in the process there is no "sin" or curruptable feeling to take advantage of (same with the necrons, but from previous statments they can't win). So if it really is the tip of the iceberg then chaos will lose becuase there will be no minds left to currupt, therefore not way to stay in out reality. But if the tyranids are dieing off they will eventually win because all of hte other races can only strengthen there hold upon reality, for there only way to eliminate chaos from the world would be to eliminate themselves.

I'm sure this is long winded, but that is my explination for my vote of Tyranids.
(PS I'm an imperial guard player, AND I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!!)