PDA

View Full Version : WoC Deathstar?

PopeAlexanderVI
23-10-2008, 04:23
My warrior unit would be just about unkillable... but would my army have enough damage output to kill anything?

Sorcerer Lord (420)
-Level 4, Tzeentch, on disc, Homunculus, Puppet, Tzeentch Blood, Power Familiar
Festus (185, goes with CW star)
Sorcerer (230)
-Level 2, Tzeentch on disc, Katam/Homunculus.
Exalted Hero (BSB 210)
-Banner of -1 Leadership

25 Chaos Warriors (500)
-Shields, Full Command, marked Nurgle, Battle Standard gives a +5 ward against shooting (so they'll have a +3 Armor save, +5 Regen Save, -1 to hit, and +5 ward against shooting).
20 Marauders (150)
-Flails and Light armor, marked Khorne.
5 Horsemen (86)
-Armor and flails
5 Horsemen (86)
-Armor and Flails
5 Knights (250)
-Command
Warshrine marked Tzeentch (150)

WhiteKnight
23-10-2008, 04:56
Holy jeebus. That warriors unit is a beast. That is probably the scariest unit but with the saves, you'll be perfectly fine from most stuff. Remember to deploy the army around in the most benefitting way.

SolarHammer
23-10-2008, 05:00
It will be autobroken by Skeletons. A deathstar that can be autobroken by Skeletons is pretty laughable.

Better make the unit Slaanesh with the Rapturous Standard and give the BSB the Banner of the Gods.

That will make them Immune to Fear and Terror, get Insane Courage on any doubles or roll of a 1, and be Stubborn with a re-roll.

Now they're a little easier to kill, but functionally unbreakable as long as the BSB is alive.

Kalec
23-10-2008, 05:02
The mages on discs can't join units because they fly.

Also, if you aren't giving the lord diabolic splendour, then give the BSB a different standard. Rapturous or rage to help prevent being autobroken by fear-causers would work.

I would cut the marauder unit for more horsemen. They are going to drop like flies or be ignored, and the horsemen do better in either situation. Giving the horsemen axes or javelins over light armor wouldn't hurt either.

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 07:19
Maybe its just me..

But doesn't the rules for gifts specifically prohibit having multiples of the same gift? :wtf:

Lord Khabal
23-10-2008, 07:40
Agree with solarhammer. MOS + rapturous std + BSB is the best combo for the "deathstar". The shooting immunity is best by MOT + blasted std.
Im not a fan of the homunculus. stupidity on Ld8 is very tricky and your 420 points (520 to your opp) model being useless for 1 turn is way too much. And please give your general Geye...

W0lf
23-10-2008, 21:36
pointless.

In fantasy you kill units by cutting them down. with a pursue of 1D6 (festus) ill happily throw units at you.. bounce.. rally.. charge.. bounce.. rally.. charge.. break.

Oh and its too easy to remove your support units from the game.
Mark them slaanesh, Lose festus and work in another marauder block or something.

On second thoughts dont mark them slaanesh. Leave them nurgle (or tzeentch) and give them the Rage banner, +1 attack ad always immune to psy ftw. Oh and they dont even have great weapons?

Kinda dissapointing. A flank charge with a blood thirster would wreck this unit silly (Obv with firestorm blade).

gerrymander61
23-10-2008, 23:37
Other armies WILL outshoot you, dedicated magic armies will compete with if not have the upper hand over your 6 levels of magic, and really, 20 marauders, 2x5 horsemen, and a unit of knights will not keep the rest of the enemy's army occupied. They will clean those units off the face of the table, then surround and eat your super unit alive.

Cyrush
23-10-2008, 23:56
Your list is so illegal it could get you arrested. As well as the aforementioned double use of a single gift, your Lord also has three arcane items! Ignoring that, itís good to see people trying new ideas with the new army, but this list purely and plainly doesnít work. The warrior unit is a massive point sink, and still fragile in such a small un-manoeuvrable army. Back to the drawing board my friend.

Lordsaradain
24-10-2008, 14:59
A WoC deathstar would proably be better if it was a unit of 25 knights with some nice characters/banners. :P

GKazman
24-10-2008, 20:09
It will be autobroken by Skeletons. A deathstar that can be autobroken by Skeletons is pretty laughable.

Better make the unit Slaanesh with the Rapturous Standard and give the BSB the Banner of the Gods.

That will make them Immune to Fear and Terror, get Insane Courage on any doubles or roll of a 1, and be Stubborn with a re-roll.

Now they're a little easier to kill, but functionally unbreakable as long as the BSB is alive.

Just a question, but auto-broken by skeletons? I mean, I understand the "if beaten in CC by a fear causing unit" thing but I'd at least imagine that that 500pt warrior unit to be able to kill 2 skelly's to not be autobroken?

Not an attack, but just a thought.

Also, side note, I've never had any problems with ld 8 in any game I've played as both a W40k player and a fantasy player, am I missing something about this ld value that makes it so vulnerable?

Kalec
24-10-2008, 22:19
ld 8 is good, but not when your entire army hinges upon passing that ld test. There is too much at stake for just ld 8 to suffice.

bork da basher
24-10-2008, 22:31
in a head on one to one clash with almost any other unit it'll proberly come out on top or at least have very little chance of running....

however its a single unit that if broken or destroyed will loose you the game. everything the enemy has will target it and rip its guts out before it can achieve a thing. the rest of your army is too small to hold up or significantly damage the enemy to prevent from being surrounded and whittled away.

its a "good" idea despite being illigal but i dont think this type of list does anything for the enjoyment of either player. from my own point of view if someone placed this list in front of me at a tourney id be rather happy with my almost automatic victory that was being handed to me on a plate hammered out the armour of defeated chaos warriors ;)