PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Checklist

narrativium
23-10-2008, 14:37
You're playing someone you've never played before. Could be a tournament, so you've got at most five minutes to sort out the warm-up - this includes what each unit is, whether it has any command group models, what it's armed with (but not what magic items it has), what special rules the army has if you're unfamiliar with them, and what the terrain counts as.

What else do you ask? What's on your list of stuff to sort out before a single dice is rolled or model deployed?

Issue 1: Clipping or Sliding?

mattjgilbert
23-10-2008, 15:31
I think you covered most of them. I usually invoke the "spirit of Jervis" once the game has started and "just say yes" :D

Wargamejunkie
24-10-2008, 17:15
The biggest Pre-game questions are

1) Clip v. Slide
2) Any Terrain Issues
3) What wizards have what spells

Of course this is usually done with people I haven't played before.

BEEGfrog
25-10-2008, 02:50
I also sometimes have a list of rules interpretations with preferred options, e.g.:

Are salamander's spit flame attacks flaming?

Can characters who move as skirmishers also see as skirmishers?

What happens when a character with a magic lance is dismounted?

When can you have multple scrolls or power stones?

Burning Head effects when cast from palanquin in 2nd rank, does a member of the TG risk losing his head?

Lord Dan
25-10-2008, 04:59
I usually go over my army list once to make sure all my units are "present". This may sound paranoid, but I actually played a game with my empire where I forgot to deploy my giant because I left him in my army case. Anyway:

1) Clear up all proxies
2) Establish all terrain
3) Ask and answer any questions about units either of us are unfamiliar with

Condottiere
25-10-2008, 05:47
I also sometimes have a list of rules interpretations with preferred options, e.g.:

Are salamander's spit flame attacks flaming?

Can characters who move as skirmishers also see as skirmishers?

What happens when a character with a magic lance is dismounted?

When can you have multple scrolls or power stones?

Burning Head effects when cast from palanquin in 2nd rank, does a member of the TG risk losing his head?No.
Yes.
Up in the air.
Either/or, plus one other.
Yes.