PDA

View Full Version : Chariots charging warmachines

Malorian
23-10-2008, 15:35
This came up last night:

Impact hits are distributed like shooting, so does that mean when a chariot charges a warmachine that the hits have to be randomized? Or does it all go on the crew?

mattjgilbert
23-10-2008, 15:39
Wouldn't the crew have formed up in front of the warmachine as part of the charge action? If so, only they would take the hits (although distributed like shooting).

Malorian
23-10-2008, 15:41
This is what I thought, but it still says that impact hits are distributed like shooting (allowing the warmachine to get hit), so I'm not sure...

Atrahasis
23-10-2008, 15:47
Impact hits are distributed by shooting, so teh machine will be hit on 1-4, crew on 5-6.

Malorian
23-10-2008, 15:50
Hmmm I was worried about that...

Doesn't make logical sense, but that's not the point now is it? ;)

Gazak Blacktoof
23-10-2008, 15:54
Initially was thinking that I agree with matt, you can't really attack the machine until the crew are dead.

However, p. 86 says "enemy models fight the crew as normal" perhaps this indicates it is similar to fighting the front rank of a unit.

Its not something I've ever really considered before.

Atrahasis
23-10-2008, 15:57
The oddity arises with Hydras too, as all shooting hits are allocated to the monster.

Braad
23-10-2008, 18:37
Nah, lining up is for gaming purposes. If a car heads straight for your bike, you and your friends don't go standing in front to take the hit. You let the bike get it, and than try and smash the car...

Malorian
23-10-2008, 18:40
Nah, lining up is for gaming purposes. If a car heads straight for your bike, you and your friends don't go standing in front to take the hit. You let the bike get it, and than try and smash the car...

Actually I usually just ride out of the way, but I get your point :p

sneroplex
23-10-2008, 19:51
It makes sense to randomize the impact hits on both the war machine and the crew, but once combat begins the chariot attacks the crew as in normal combat. It's not like the chariot can specifically single out the crew while trying to ride everything down, and like Braad mentioned the crew aren't going to try and shield the war machine from impact hits... although dwarf crew might, but that's beside the point.

It's not bad thing since impact hits are usually strong enough to damage a war machine, and once the fighting begins it should be able to beat the crew anyway.

Braad
24-10-2008, 06:26
@ Malorian
Well, I was looking for something else to use as example, but 'bike' was the only thing that came up. But it was meant to be a parked bike. Even better, think of it as a motor bike, that is not started yet and too heavy to lift away.

Also, I don't think any charging chariot should have problems with a warmachine crew, even without impact hits...