PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Cheesy Wood Elves

gerrymander61
23-10-2008, 15:36
My friend and I for our next game have decided to try to come up with the cheesiest lists we possibly could. I decided to go for the treemonic legion with a bit of flying circus thrown in. I'm looking for tips to optimize the "fromage"-ity of the list

375 Treeman ancient, murder of spites, annoyance of nettlings
154 Noble, alter, la, shield, wraithstone
147 noble, alter, la, helm of the hunt, callach's claw
165 branchwraith, lv1, 2x scroll
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
148 5 Wild Riders, standard
148 5 Wild Riders, standard
285 Treeman

1998 points

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 15:47
Well first you dump the scrolls on the branchwraith or make her a spellsinger, unless you meant cheaty instead of cheesy.

I guess you won't use special characters? Or else Drycha comes to mind.

Cluster of radiants would fit nicely on your ancient.

Hail of Doom Arrow is the blue cheese of wood elves.

I find the best size of wild riders to be 6 + warbanner.

And think of dumping the ancient for a spellweaver.

And a BSB is the cheesiest thing to do with two treemen.

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 15:57
Yep, branchwraiths cannot take scrolls, only spites.

6 units of 8 dryads...too many units and to small, at 2,000 you do want bigger sizes, drop down to 3 units of say...15 and with the extra points buy a warbanner for one of the wild riders units.

Otherwise, looks good.

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 17:46
There is absolutely no reason for going bigger than 8 on dryad unit sizes.

If you want more numbers just charge with more units.

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 17:51
Wrong!

Taking casualties makes the unit less efective, you will not always get the charge so have to prepare for that. Too many units makes a maneuverable unit...useless!

I used 2 units of 15 recently and they performed amazingly well, I used to ascribe to the units of 8 school but that has not payed off battle after battle.

The Red Scourge
23-10-2008, 17:56
I have never run more than two units of 8 myself.

Prefer to have a lot more options and variety to deal with the enemy.

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 18:02
Perhaps, but is your army the same build as Gerrymander61?

Two units of 8 is good, but 6 units of 8 is hard to control.

gerrymander61
23-10-2008, 19:07
Well first you dump the scrolls on the branchwraith or make her a spellsinger, unless you meant cheaty instead of cheesy.

I guess you won't use special characters? Or else Drycha comes to mind.

Cluster of radiants would fit nicely on your ancient.

Hail of Doom Arrow is the blue cheese of wood elves.

I find the best size of wild riders to be 6 + warbanner.

And think of dumping the ancient for a spellweaver.

And a BSB is the cheesiest thing to do with two treemen.

Good call on the branchwraith, i've exchanged her for a spellsinger. I like the idea of using a spellweaver, but i'm not too sure how she'd fare in this army. I like the 2 nobles i have, it feels very flying-circusy, and wraithstone and callach's claw means -2 to leadership to anyone i target, as well as 9 attacks being dished out. I could add another alter noble with hail of doom, but then i wont have much magic defence. I could drop the ancient, but then i'll only have the one treeman. I guess what i'm trying to say is that i'm not sure what to do about characters, and that i'm open to the idea of a spellweaver, but i'll need a little convincing.

Ok, here's what I'm working with now:

400 Treeman ancient, murder of spites, annoyance of nettlings, cluster of radiants
154 Noble, alter, la, shield, wraithstone
172 noble, alter, la, helm of the hunt, callach's claw, BSB
140 spellsinger, 2x scroll
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
96 8 Dryads
174 6 Wild Riders, standard
174 6 Wild Riders, standard
285 Treeman

Lord Malorne
23-10-2008, 19:11
Read the rules for wand of wych elm...that should convince you :).

The Red Scourge
24-10-2008, 05:47
How about downgrading the ancient for an ordinairy treeman.

Get a weaver with 3 Scrolls and the Calaingor staff.

Two alters one with wraithstone, one with HoDA and HoTH, both with LA, Sh, GW.

Add a BSB (they can't have kindreds) with either Oaken Armor or Stone of Crystal Mere, or your Callach's Claw Alter with Annoyance, Sh, LA.

Then you've got a fairly low-key but powerful magic phase and a decent defense. Some utterly annoying monsters, and three Alters to run around with S6 attacks where needed and reducing Ld.

Treesinging will protect your army and transport it to where its needed. And should you need it, you can take Lore of Beasts or Life depending on your opponent (Just think of bringing a badly wounded treeman back to full health with a 7+ spell).

skuller
13-11-2008, 23:32
Will recommend add a hamma dryad to all ur units for 12 points you get +1 with the same frontage and in a challenge is way better to loose the hamma than a hero or a bsb.
The BSB in this situation will not work that well since your probably rerolling to get snake eyes since u lack CR.
For some reason I prefer to use 2 treeman and a Lord/spellweaver than a treeman ancient, same number of trees + 1 character