PDA

View Full Version : Black Library on Play.com upto 50% off

crandall87
23-10-2008, 15:36
This may have been posted or noted elsewhere but I just noticed that play have a black library section and it looks like every black library book has some discount.

http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Campaign.html?campaign=5441&cid=3981389

Like I said this may have been mentioned elsewhere or even a while ago but it's the first time i've noticed.

Orinoco
23-10-2008, 17:14
thank you, sir!

Norminator
23-10-2008, 17:32
I always get book off play.com because of the discount, Black Library particularly as GW always sells them at full RRP.

Aurellis
23-10-2008, 18:25
Thanks for the spot, normally i get my Black Library books from Waterstones or GW but i think I've found a new place for my purchases.

Niceone crandall87

heretics bane
23-10-2008, 18:30
Didnt know mechanium was out? or is it?

I always get my books of there, free P&P wins

DoktorZinieztro
24-10-2008, 07:10
Too bad they don't sell over to my country...

Some nice prices there, yes they do have 'em!

Jedi152
24-10-2008, 07:30
Horus Heresy books were 2 for 7 on there for a time.

Waywatcher-
24-10-2008, 21:19
Thank you good sir, 50 percent, tasty..........

Waywatcher

narrativium
24-10-2008, 21:26
heretics bane: Mechanicum isn't out yet, but preordering it from BL means you'll probably get it a few weeks before the release date. If you're especially quick, it might have been signed by the author.

Killgore
26-10-2008, 20:33
how does play.com compare to amazon.com for BL books?

iv always used play.com or waterstones if i feel the need for a impulse buy when in town

daemonkin
27-10-2008, 09:52
I got the complete set so far of Horus Heresy from Play at 'Buy 1 get 1 free'. Read up to Fulgrim in 1 go. Great reads. Will continue to get all books this way->straight to my door from my keyboard.

D.

Jedi152
27-10-2008, 10:26
he problem with buying HH online for me is that now i have the first 3 with a bronze border, i want them all with a bronze border - obviously i can't tell with online sales...

daemonkin
27-10-2008, 14:29
I didn't even realise there was a difference in borders. So what is with the colours along the top of the spine?

I was contemplating ordering Mechanicum from BL but with the free shipping on Play I just preordered it there and bought Battle for the Abyss along with 'Ironman'.

D.

Jedi152
27-10-2008, 14:46
The gold/silver/bronze borders represent the first/second/subsequent printings of the book.

The colours on the spine represent something different ... what 'group' of novels it's in, or something.

narrativium
27-10-2008, 14:46
Gold for first printing, Silver for second, Bronze for subsequent. If you're referring to the red, blue, green, purple, etc., ... then I think it was supposed to be a rough idea of arc but it's not been obvious so far.

Notasquick
28-10-2008, 16:04
This may have been posted or noted elsewhere but I just noticed that play have a black library section and it looks like every black library book has some discount.

Very few of the books are actually 50% off, they are not even offering the same level of discounts found with other book sellers or even GW/BL online resellers.

I have also noticed that they have a number of items offered for sale that are "out of print" and thus they will never be able to furfill the order unless BL makes a reprint.

As a company they are particulary bad at refunding these kind of orders, along with pre-released items that are never published, or if they offer an item that they do not have any stock of. For the latter, they seem to wait until they have a number of orders before placing an order with the distributor - this can take an ordinate amount of time, which can be extremely annoying as you can find the item available elsewhere.

They can also be poor at delivering your order (depending on the courier or royal mail), if they lose it then you cannot seem to chase them until the mail order delivery period has past (28 days minimum), and then you have to go through the rigmarole of claiming a replacement which might be now out of stock!

Personally, I would only buy instock items from http://play.com/ that have an equal or better discount than elsewhere.

how does play.com compare to amazon.com for BL books?

Amazon, http://amazon.co.uk/, recently had a 5 before free delivery, now it is back to 15 - but this seems to change periodically so it it worth checking. Amazon generally have much better discounts than the stores that have been named, and if you can find, or even better get, a discount code then this becomes even more worthwhile providing you are spending the free delivery minimum.

There are however punitive charges on non-amazon sold books, and they are very expensive on toys, or goods, as they usually charge by weight for delivery and even have additional charges per item.

The Book Depository, http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/, does not charge for delivery but your order arrives one item at a time through the post. They seem to be competive with Amazon on certain books where you get better discounts but not on others, so you do have to check prices to make sure which is the best deal.

It is certainly worth spending time to check prices over a variety of suppliers. The overall difference can be as much as ten books for 3.49 against five books for 6.99. It is your money afterall, so make sure that you get the best deal for you in the end.

Killgore
29-10-2008, 13:22
Amazon, http://amazon.co.uk/, recently had a 5 before free delivery, now it is back to 15 - but this seems to change periodically so it it worth checking. Amazon generally have much better discounts than the stores that have been named, and if you can find, or even better get, a discount code then this becomes even more worthwhile providing you are spending the free delivery minimum.

There are however punitive charges on non-amazon sold books, and they are very expensive on toys, or goods, as they usually charge by weight for delivery and even have additional charges per item.

The Book Depository, http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/, does not charge for delivery but your order arrives one item at a time through the post. They seem to be competive with Amazon on certain books where you get better discounts but not on others, so you do have to check prices to make sure which is the best deal.

It is certainly worth spending time to check prices over a variety of suppliers. The overall difference can be as much as ten books for 3.49 against five books for 6.99. It is your money afterall, so make sure that you get the best deal for you in the end.

hmm thanks for that, will have a bigger look around when i next place a large order