RARE:

triad- smoke bombs- 240

triad- smoke bombs- 240

TOTAL: 2000

meowser
02-05-2005, 23:13
i love clan eshin and would die to play a decent UCOD army
but here are the main issues

0. RAT SWARMS!!! *slap slap* silly rat, never leave the nest without some swarms to tie up big nasties like ushabti or big units of cav... take a 3-4 strong unit... general consensus from my understanding is 3 is not enough and 5 is too expensive (being 225pts for a tie-up unit). shame they are 0-1

1. 4-strong tunneling teams? i understand that you may want to reduce the risk of the 15pt+ models never coming on the board and your opponent getting vc's for them, but an individual team will have a whopping 8 attacks... not enough to worth their points.
i would drop the throwing stars and make the teams at least 5 strong (so a single team can negate rank bonus), and id experiment with larger teams of 7 or even 1 at 9 (again the issue of losing 135pts over a misfire roll)

2. take globadiers!!! or at least a character with the gouger. you need something for those cavalry 1+ sv armies... 2 triads is too much anyways, and you will probably find a 9-strong globadier unit much more effective than the triad against high T/ar foes... throw in a sorcerer for greatly improved leadership although your looking at 10 models for 165pts..... assuming sorcerer is bare

3. a small team of jezzails (5) could prove useful on turns where they have to range to actually fire on something... only issue here is their cost relative to a NR

4. DOW duellsits or menghil manhide's manflayers could be useful (prolly not menghil tho, a UCOD army already has too high an avg pt value per model)... or any other skirmisher DOW (as far as i know duellists/vespero and menghil are the only)

5. 2 level 2 sorcerers? sure they may help cast skitterleap once in a while, but the eshin sorceres primary function should be their superb leadership (7 for a skaven hero is unheard of (expect for assassin which doesnt conferr it to its unit) although it will only benefit units of NR... this higher leadership makes up for your lack of ranks to a minor extent.. also they are scroll caddies through and through, the level two gives you no extra dispell dice

6. bigger NR units! this will provide staying power in cc and from shooting/magic, but of course comes at a cost (asides from the obvious). bigger units = less manouvering, also = panicking smaller units when they do flee.

id try maybe one or two 13 or even 17 strong units... you always want your units to be 4x+1 in unit strength... x being any integer... so that you just break the margin for panic tests... (12 needs 3 models to panic, 13 needs 4, 17 needs 5 ect)

Azroth
03-05-2005, 06:40
About two seconds after I post questions about the Eshin list I find this. Great! I'm picking up loads of ideas already. Thanks a bunch.

But since I haven't played the list, I afraid I cannot give any really helpful advice, other than the fact that I agree on the four-rat tunneling teams looking awfully fragile. Maybe add at least one or two rats to each.

And not to hijack the thread, but would you Eshin vets please bother to have a look at this (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1884)? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

-Az

Riddy
03-05-2005, 18:18
Ok, first, smoke bombs on your assasins, you'll need them. Next, i see no point in having 2 Lv2 Eshin sorcerors unless your Master Assassin has Bands of Power, either drop them both to Lv1 or change your Assassin's gear. (I ran mine with weeping blades, band of power and warpstone amulet, an assassin with warp stone stars and 2 Lv2 Sorcs, one with 2 scrolls another with the ever useful brass orb) The 3 units of night runners with trowing stars, with a range of 8" and a strenght of 3 they will likley never make back ever their measly 70 poins, give them additional hw and get them in combat. Rat swarms are your best friend, and poison rat swarms are even better, i sugget freeing up a special slot for them, dunno where to get points from though. 84 points for 4 T3 models, just no. Drop a triad for rat swarms and a unit of gutter runners for 8 globadiers. Then stick the other 3 gutter runner units together for 2 units of 6. Get rid of poison throwing stars to make the units cheaper and maybe give your two 5 man night runner units slings, just for the hell of it (I did it with two 5 man units, i dont think they ever fail to impress me, when you dont expect anything from a unit even killing a chaos warrior is a big success)